• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Bbq Grill Basket or Grill Tray and Also Which Rubs?

In summary, the majority of people think either the basket or tray is a great gift for a teacher. They both have uses for different things. Some people recommend the BBQ rub, Lemon Pepper, and Chipotle for the best yummy options.
kcjodih
Gold Member
I'm about to submit a show and would like to add either the BBQ Grill basket or tray and a couple of rubs to it for my son's teacher. I don't have either since we don't grill anything but meat so I have no idea if this is a good gift or not (if she ends up like me and doesn't grill other things) but I can't come up with anything else around $30. She was my daughter's teacher a few years ago and we got her the Chilzanne Rect Server as an end of year gift (got it for a GREAT price) and we always get the teachers trivets at Christmas.

So are either of these a good gift or can you think of something else? If I go with the basket or tray which one should I choose and which rubs would you recommend as the yummiest and most versatile?

I just ordered the grill basket. I didn't realize how small it was (the size of a reg piece of paper). I haven't used it yet. I have seen the grill tray and to me it is a bit more impressive.

Thank you Leslie :)

Doesn't anyone else have these and have an opinion? Or is there just noone else on here tonight?

Well I don't have either one, but I can tell you that as a teacher I would love that as a gift!!

mvm630 said:
Well I don't have either one, but I can tell you that as a teacher I would love that as a gift!!

aww thanks! That makes me feel better :) Now I'm just waiting and hoping I'll get some opinions on which one and which rubs ;)

They're both great, just used for different things.As far as the rubs go, my favorites are the Jerk, Greek, and Chipotle.Now, you're sure the teacher has a grill?Either the basket or the tray would make an excellent gift. The basket is great for veggies and things you toss around. The tray is great for anything else.

And in the off chance that she wouldn't use it for the actual grill, the Grill BASKET can be used to hold lots of things in other ways.

Too bad Becky is on vacation because she would have an opinion. I believe she has used the oil dipping seasonings for grilling veggies in the grill basket.

There is also a Grill Basket document with ideas on what to use it for in the "Files" section.

So the majority is suggesting the basket? It's not too small? Thanks for the suggestions :) And it looks like you're the one I'll refer to when picking a rub ot two Keith ;) As a teacher yourself, any other gift ideas in that price range? Married mother of two, early 40's, nice house (yes she has a grill) but I'm not sure what else she 'does' or what other P Chef she may have.

kcjodih said:
So the majority is suggesting the basket? It's not too small? Thanks for the suggestions :) And it looks like you're the one I'll refer to when picking a rub ot two Keith ;) As a teacher yourself, any other gift ideas in that price range? Married mother of two, early 40's, nice house (yes she has a grill) but I'm not sure what else she 'does' or what other P Chef she may have.

Nope, I don't think the basket is too small. I think it's just the right size. You don't want it taking up the whole grill!

I have all of our rubs and use them quite frequently (except for the Creole Rub -- I can't find a good use for that yet).

I think it's a great gift idea. Even if they have another grill basket, they'll realize that ours is better. Just don't give a mug. Please...no more mugs.

I have both the tray and basket - and I use the basket more. Most meat items, DH puts right on the grill, so, I end up needing something for veggies. And I agree with Keith, the basket is better for veggies. (Easy to shake around to grill all sides).

We have gotten into grilling mushrooms, this past week.

I put all the mushroom slices in a baggie and coat with oil. Then put them in another baggies and sprinkle the Parm-Garlic bread dipping spice in and shake it up until coated.

Some spices we like a lot are the BBQ rub (DH's fave), the Lemon Pepper, and Chipotle.

The basket is good for shrimp, too. Even though I haven't tried it, I think others have recommended the new thai curry rub on shrimp.

Fav's in order, Greek Rub, just love the depth of flavour - Crushed Peppercorn & Garlic Rub, love it on pork and poultry; Citrus & Basil Rub, seafood and poultry. I use the Grill Tray, love the size, perfect for being able to have everything on the BBQ at the same time.

leftymac said:
Nope, I don't think the basket is too small. I think it's just the right size. You don't want it taking up the whole grill!

I have all of our rubs and use them quite frequently (except for the Creole Rub -- I can't find a good use for that yet).

I think it's a great gift idea. Even if they have another grill basket, they'll realize that ours is better. Just don't give a mug. Please...no more mugs.

LMAO or candles, world's greatest teacher ornaments/knickknacks etc...:D

That's exactly why I go this route and have for 5 years. First time I've had the same teacher for more than one year though, except our male music teacher, recently separated who loves the Liquor Store gift cards we get him :)

I like the Grill Tray. It browns food evenly.

Personally I like the basket. I don't have the tray but don't think I'd use it anyway. I just started using my basket this year and I love it. I've made some things that I would normally make in oven on hot days in grill tray.

French Fries

Red potatoes cut up and tossed with olive oil, italian seasoning and salt and pepper yummy

I just tried veggies the other day. I cut up a zucchini and a red pepper and tossed in bag with olive oil italian seasoning and s&p. it was delicious. You could add whatever veggies you like that's what I add handy and needed a quick easy side.

I really like our italian seasoning.

I also really like the Thai Curry Rub but you have to like curry I think to enjoy that. With my veggies I had used that on chicken then grilled it. Yummo!:)

I have and love both tray and basket. As for rubs, my favorite all time is the Jerk! The BBQ is pretty good too.

Thanks all! I went for the basket, Lemon Pepper Rub, Crushed Peppercorn and the Jerk. Hope she likes it :)

What is the difference between a BBQ grill basket and a grill tray?

A BBQ grill basket is a small, mesh basket that is designed to hold small or delicate foods, such as vegetables or shrimp, while grilling. A grill tray is a larger, solid tray that is used to cook larger cuts of meat or fish. The grill tray typically has a perforated surface to allow for excess grease and juices to drain while cooking.

Can I use a BBQ grill basket or grill tray on any type of grill?

Yes, both BBQ grill baskets and grill trays can be used on gas, charcoal, or electric grills. Just make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper use and care.

What are some popular rubs to use on grilled meats?

Some popular rubs for grilled meats include BBQ rub, Cajun rub, garlic and herb rub, and steak rub. However, there are endless options and it ultimately depends on personal preference.

Do I need to season my BBQ grill basket or grill tray before using?

It is recommended to season your grill basket or tray before first use. This can be done by coating the surface with a thin layer of cooking oil and heating it on the grill for about 10-15 minutes. After that, just let it cool and wipe off any excess oil.

How do I clean my BBQ grill basket or grill tray?

To clean your grill basket or tray, let it cool down completely before washing it with warm soapy water. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or scrubbers, as they can damage the surface. Some grill baskets and trays are also dishwasher safe for easy cleaning.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Phi_Phi_18
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pchockeymom
  • ChefMommyof3Boys
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • AJ-1