• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Back Up Your P3: Floppy to Disc Transfer Guide

In summary, Deanna needs to back up her P3 and currently has it set to save to a floppy disk. She is unsure of how to change it to save to a different location, such as a CD or folder on her hard drive. The conversation offers suggestions for different backup methods, including using a thumb drive or online backup service in addition to a physical backup. It also highlights the importance of having multiple backups in case of corruption or loss.
mombird4
My P3 needs backed up. I have it set to floppy, how do I change it to Disc?:blushing: When I last tried my floppy it said it was to big to download to. TIA
Deanna

When you backup P3, you can navigate to wherever you want to store the backup, whether that's a floppy, a folder on your hard drive, or removeable storage.

Can you tell me how. :blushing: I looked on the task bar on top of P3 and didn't see anything about changing from a floppy to disc.
Thanks
Deanna

When you choose to back up, a menu pops up asking where you want it backed up to. Hit the arrow on the drop down menu to choose where you want it to go. I write my to My Document and then I right click on it to send it to a CD and then write it to the CD when the ballon pops up on my computer.

I hope that helps and did not confuse you more!

Think I got it thank-you. I've never tried to open my floppy, just backed it up. I tried to open this and it said it can't open without knowing which file created it. Is that normal?:blushing:
Thanks
Deanna

Yes. You won't be able to open it except from within P3. It would look like a lot of mumbo-jumbo anyway. :)

Thanks I feel much better now!! After reading some of the diasters people have had on losing info, I wanted to make sure mine was safe. One more question, when I back up again do I change the number to 002 or just keep it as file 001? You folks have given me peace of mind, would have worried not knowing if I did it right and just keeping my fingers crossed until (if) I ever needed it:love:

No, just keep it the same and overwrite what is there (it will ask you if you want to do that).

Can I suggest an upgraded computer, though? When I read "floppy" disc, I had to look twice!! :eek: PP3 will be going thru some upgrades in the near future, I am sure -- and a slower, older computer may not be up to speed.

Wal Mart has some nice basic laptops for under $500 with 12 months free finanacing if you put it on a Wal Mart credit card!

I would back it up to a couple of different places if you can, honestly. Keep copying onto the disk - just overwrite the old one. Also maybe set up an online backup service like Mozy Online Backup: Simple, Automatic, Secure (free for up to 2 gigabytes) or even email a copy of the backup file to a free account at http://mail.google.com/ or something similar.At any one time, there are four copies of my P3 data saved at any one time. I'm paranoid, but I will *not* lose my data, "good Lord willing and the crick don't rise!"

Thanks againThanks again:angel: I have learned so much here, I really do listen. Why would I want to have more than one backup though? Isn't the one on the disc enough? As for my computer, I do want to get a laptop so I'll remember about the free financing:love: but my home computer is good. We had ordered the floppy additional.
Thanks guys!
Deanna

I have a 1 GB thumb drive that I love because not only can I back up PP on it, I can put files that I can take to other computers to print, fix, etc depending on where I'm at (like at work). I suggest looking into something like that.

I suggest more than one backup because sometimes backups get corrupted, disks fail, things like that.My husband's computer died, and it took us almost 24 hours to find the backup of his novel - it wasn't where we thought it was. That was the worst feeling - thinking we'd lost a half-written novel.What if the laptop and the disk you use are stolen? What if the house catches fire? Obviously losing your home would be a good reason to put your business on hold, but you'd still want that information when the time came to pick it up again.I'm obsessive about backing up my digital photographs for all the above reasons too, not just P3.

Oh, and I should note - consultants here HAVE had situations where their computers died or whatever and the backup didn't work. Computers do crazy things to us. I try to stay a step ahead.

Okay I think I might check into that thumb drive thing. I think my foreman at work has one of those. I'll talk to him tomorrow about it.
Thanks
Deanna:chef:

jrstephens said:
When you choose to back up, a menu pops up asking where you want it backed up to. Hit the arrow on the drop down menu to choose where you want it to go. I write my to My Document and then I right click on it to send it to a CD and then write it to the CD when the ballon pops up on my computer.

I hope that helps and did not confuse you more!

That's exactly what I do too! For some strange reason my computer won't let me do it directly to the CD writer so I do it in those two steps.

pamperedharriet said:
That's exactly what I do too! For some strange reason my computer won't let me do it directly to the CD writer so I do it in those two steps.

That's exactly how CD writers work. They write files to the CD - and you can't write the file until you've created the file... in this case, by saving it.

SOME CD writer software has ways to make that two-step process into one step - it's usually called DLA (Drive Letter Access) but it really depends on the software you have if that's possible. You'd have to hunt through manuals and online help to see if you can... and then you'd have to leave the CD in the drive all the time and you might not want to do that.

Going to have to put you in my buddy list for computer help, Now I know who to call on when I'm stuck. lol. But I will look you up again next time I get in a situation I need help with.:D

Thanks, JenniferP for your answer. Now at least I know that is the way it is supposed to be and not my computer issue.

I have been looking at a 2G flash drive to use for back up. I have all my pics on disk but I like, JenniferP, want more than one back up of them.You can watch the sales papers and get them for great prices at different times.

Hey every one i just got a new laptop YEA!!!!!! But i am trying to move my backup files from my old one to the new one, well when i save it goes as a weird file ** something like that lol well on my new laptop i have vista premuim so i was wondering do you know how to get it over there and where it is readable??? thank so much for thinking about my issue

so i just figured it out that it saves it as a dat file

got it all figured out :)

Yay! I just saw this thread - glad you figured it out.

Related to Back Up Your P3: Floppy to Disc Transfer Guide

1. What is the purpose of the "Back Up Your P3: Floppy to Disc Transfer Guide"?

The purpose of the guide is to provide step-by-step instructions on how to transfer data from a floppy disk to a disc, ensuring that important information is not lost or inaccessible.

2. Do I need any special equipment to use this guide?

No, you do not need any special equipment. All you need is a computer with a floppy disk drive and a CD or DVD drive.

3. Can I use this guide for any type of floppy disk?

Yes, the guide can be used for any type of floppy disk, including 3.5 inch and 5.25 inch disks.

4. Is this guide easy to follow for someone with limited computer experience?

Yes, the guide is designed to be user-friendly and easy to follow, even for those with limited computer experience. The steps are clearly outlined and include screenshots to help guide you through the process.

5. Will this guide work for both PC and Mac computers?

Yes, the guide is applicable for both PC and Mac computers as long as they have the necessary disk drives. However, the steps may vary slightly for each operating system.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jm2003
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
jm2003
  • rbvernon
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
rbvernon
  • regina_graham