• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Arggghhhh!!! I Just Lost All My Files!

If your new computer doesn't have Word installed, you can download it for free from Microsoft.com. It's a 30-day trial, but after that you have to pay for it.
ChefBeckyD
Gold Member
I just bought a new computer.......and I am just not that great w/ the technical stuff.....I also bought a USB Flash Drive, because the guy said I could transfer all my info from one computer to the other that way.

Well, ALL of my Microsoft Files are completely gone! Actually Microsoft Word is gone - I can still find my files, but when I try to open one, it says I have to open to a disk...........I don't know what to do!??

AND - I download everything onto the Flash Drive from my old computer - but when I try to transfer it to the new computer, it acts like I am starting all over again from my old computer. (I'm trying to use this "Easy Transfer" deal)

Ok. Take a deep breath. It's ok.On the new computer, you'll have Word on there. The files will open. Ignore the easy transfer thing. Just plug in the drive. It'll show up in "My computer." Just drag and drop your files onto it. Then you can unplug it and do the same thing on the new computer, just the other way.I have to go to work now - but I'll help you more later if you need it!

I am already at work....and I am addicted to CS, so feel free to ask me any questions, I'll be on here all day!

Just don't delete anything from the old computer until you're 200% sure it's on the new computer.

I wish I had internet access at work. :(

Oh Becky, I hope you get them back!

jenniferp417 said:
Ok. Take a deep breath. It's ok.

On the new computer, you'll have Word on there. The files will open.

Ignore the easy transfer thing. Just plug in the drive. It'll show up in "My computer." Just drag and drop your files onto it. Then you can unplug it and do the same thing on the new computer, just the other way.

I have to go to work now - but I'll help you more later if you need it!

Okay - I'll try that.......Thanks to both of the Jennifers!

I'll be back after I try this!:)

DH tried helping a friend use the Easy Transfer function when he got a new computer, and it was a million times slower and more work than just copying the "my documents" folder onto CD or thumb drive and transferring it that way.

If the new machine didn't come with Word loaded, then that's why it's looking for a disc. It's looking for the install disc. If it did come with Word, it may be a 30-day trial. There are alternatives to Word, like Open Office.

chefann said:
DH tried helping a friend use the Easy Transfer function when he got a new computer, and it was a million times slower and more work than just copying the "my documents" folder onto CD or thumb drive and transferring it that way.

If the new machine didn't come with Word loaded, then that's why it's looking for a disc. It's looking for the install disc. If it did come with Word, it may be a 30-day trial. There are alternatives to Word, like Open Office.

It's my OLD computer that is looking for a disc!:eek:

What is Open Office?

Soooo, Easy Transfer isn't so easy, huh?

On your old computer... do you keep all of your documents in your "My Documents" folder? If so, are they still there??Open Office is an Open Source program (free) that you can use instead of Microsoft Word, etc.

So when I open the Flash Drive on my new computer, a bunch of stuff comes up, and I don't know what I need to actually transfer over.....

MigWiz
Readme v21
autorun
back001 (compressed zip file)
Decompression
IMG00001 (this is the biggest file by far)
Shortcut to Local Disk (C)
Shortcut to Local Disk (D)
Shortcut to My Documents
Virtual Expander Flashdemo1.02.01 (WW)
Virtual Expander v21

and where would I transfer them?

Well, that's just weird.

Open Office is a free program that reads Office files. I haven't used it, but I've heard good things. It's open-source (like the Mozilla browser), which means that as people make updates and improvements, they SHARE them with the main team, and the product ends up better than if a heartless corporation programmed it. (No, no bias against Microsoft in that sentence. :rolleyes: ) You can get more information about it at OpenOffice.org: Home

jenniferknapp said:
On your old computer... do you keep all of your documents in your "My Documents" folder? If so, are they still there??

Open Office is an Open Source program (free) that you can use instead of Microsoft Word, etc.

They are still there - but I can't open them.

I think you moved your entire hard drive to the flash drive! (j/k) I hate those transfer programs...grr!Does your new computer have Microsoft Office installed on it? Or do you at have your installation disk?

jenniferknapp said:
I think you moved your entire hard drive to the flash drive! (j/k) I hate those transfer programs...grr!

Does your new computer have Microsoft Office installed on it? Or do you at have your installation disk?

Just installed it!

Okay, try to drag and drop your my documents folder from your old computer to your new one to see if they will open there:plug in the flash drive (old computer), does a little window come up asking what you want to do with it? If so, choose open folder to view files (?) if not, then open up my computer, and double click on the flash drive. In another window (Start > My computer) go to My documents. Arrange the windows so you can see both. Now, select all documents in your my documents (edit > select all, then edit > copy) move to your flash drive window, and go to edit > paste.Then, unplug the flash drive and put in the new computer. open up 2 my comptuer windows so you can see the flash drive and my documents in the other. then do the same process (edit > select all, edit > copy) then (edit > paste) in the new computer's my documents. Then open up word on the new computer and try to open one of the files from my documents.

ChefBeckyD said:
Just installed it!

Now - how do I get my files onto it?

becky, when we got our new computer a few weeks ago, i just saved everything onto my thumb drive and kept it there. its so much easier to save everything to that than to the computer and then take up all the room on the computer.

the backup 0001 is pc back up
did it actually save the documents or just the short cut drives? you might have to save the actually documents? or do a "move" option instead of the shortcut?? i dont know though

to get your files, open up word and then choose to open a file, search for it on your usb drive then open it from there

I'm glad we have computer people on here.

1. How can I retrieve my lost files?

If you have lost all your files, the first step is to check if they are in your computer's recycling bin. If they are not there, you can try using a data recovery software or contacting a professional data recovery service. It is also important to regularly back up your files to avoid losing them in the future.

2. Can I prevent this from happening again?

Yes, there are several ways to prevent losing your files in the future. You can set up automatic backups for your important files, save your work frequently, and use cloud storage services to store your files remotely. It is also a good idea to regularly clean up your computer and delete unnecessary files to avoid storage issues.

3. Is there a way to recover specific files?

If you have lost specific files, you can try using the "search" function on your computer to locate them. You can also try using a file recovery software that allows you to search for specific file types. If these methods do not work, you may need to contact a professional data recovery service for assistance.

4. Why did I lose all my files?

There are several reasons why you may have lost all your files. It could be due to a virus or malware attack, accidental deletion, hardware failure, or software corruption. It is important to regularly update your antivirus software and monitor your computer's health to prevent these issues.

5. How long does data recovery take?

The time it takes to recover your lost files depends on the size and complexity of the data, as well as the method used for recovery. It can range from a few minutes to several hours or even days. It is best to consult with a professional data recovery service for a more accurate estimate.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcjodih
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
PamperedChefDebi
  • 1234blessed
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefcaroline
Replies