• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Are You Dealing with a Competitive Co-Worker at Work Fairs?

In summary, the speaker worked at a local fair and has already booked 3 shows with more calls to make. However, the speaker's second-up director is difficult to work with as she often takes leads and offers discounts without permission. The speaker's concerns have been dismissed by their own director, causing frustration and disappointment.
pamperedalf
Silver Member
Okay I worked our local fair this weekend and it went not too bad. I already have 3 shows booked so far and lots more calls to make.

The bad part: Okay my second up director (my director's director) is very hard to work fairs w/. If I would start talking w/ people and give them a catalog she would go right behind me and give them her card and say I am offering a 10% discount on all orders placed at the fair remember to give me a call here's my card, and I am also offering a special for all shows booked in September that I will supply the food. She never supplies the food, but knows that I call all my booking leads and offers a free show.

First of all I am pissed because if I start talking to someone unless she is good friends w/ them and she wasn't then that should be my lead. And it's not like I can confront her in front of the customers because that looks horrible. So she did this several times throughout the morning.

The second thing that I am steaming about right now is, About a half hour into my shift Sat. morn a lady came and filled out a slip that she was interested in a show and the biz. So I asked her if she would like extra info about the biz and if I could give her a call and send her an invite to my oppurtunity night. She said of course, when she walked away I put stars by her name and put it in the drawing box. Well low and behold somehow that slip had disappeared and it is nowhere to be found. So I called another consultant that worked Sat. evening w/ me and she doesn't have it. So I know for a fact that this lady does.

I suspected the last expo I worked w/ her that some of my recruit leads disappeared because I counted them and then had less when I came home, but this one had stars next to the name. The other consultant said well she does have all your info, she can call you. But I told her I would call, and send her an invite to my opp. night now I feel like she may think I am a flake.

I called my director and let her know about the situation, but her responce was I am sure that it just stuck on accident. I know it was no accident, I am going to try to not work another fair w/ her again because I can't stand her techniques. But if for some reason I do I will have my own seperate box for slips I refuse to take another chance.

What kills me is she always says there is no competion in this area, but she is furious if I do a show for a past host or sign one of her old recruits. One of her old spit fires came up to me at the fair and said she wants to sign up under me and only me. This director heard about it and was pissed so that's probably why she took my lead. She doesn't care about her downline unless they work for her. She only cares about getting her recruits qualified, then she could care less about them and offers no support or assitance. The scary thing is, is she said this at the last meeting it blew me away she said it w/ new recruits sitting there.

I love my director but she does not see this lady as I do. When I let her know how I felt about Sat morn, and this director going behind me and offering a 10% discount my directors responce was she doesn't mean to do it, it's just her personality. My responce was bull #$%^! She know exactly what she is doing.

Okay if you have read through all this drama, thank you so much for your support. I know that I can vent here, thank you all for your support!! I am just pissed that she makes a 3% commission on me. I wish not one dime went to her. I am really done!:mad:

Wow, she is a piece of work! I'm so sorry you had to spend time with her. She does not represent what PC is all about. Yuck!

pamperedalf said:
The bad part: Okay my second up director (my director's director) is very hard to work fairs w/. If I would start talking w/ people and give them a catalog she would go right behind me and give them her card and say I am offering a 10% discount on all orders placed at the fair remember to give me a call here's my card, and I am also offering a special for all shows booked in September that I will supply the food. She never supplies the food, but knows that I call all my booking leads and offers a free show.

:

Sadly, I had a very similar situation happen with a hospitality director at a local fair. Only, what she would do is give HER information out to them after I'd talk to them, etc. I was P*SSED!!! She knew how to be savvy better than I, and she really used that to her advantage! Needless to say - when we found a house and moved 15 miles away, I told my director about all of this, and asked her to find me a new hospitality cluster. Anyway, I cannot believe that directors act this way! But, there are always a few bad apples in every bunch. Unfortunately, PC has people that just like to get to the top, and they don't care who they knock off. This lady will get hers in the end, so don't worry. But, I agree - I wouldn't work with her at ALL!!

Sad thing about my old Hosp. Director is that she's been a consultant for over 12 years.... Now why is it she needs to steal my people?

Amanda,
That REALLY stinks! There's got to be some way for SOMEONE to bring this to her attention before she works another fair with someone. Who is HER director? It's really too bad that your director isn't seeing things the same way you are because maybe she could go up the ladder to have this addressed with her.

Sorry you had to go through that. I'd steer clear of her too, especially working any fairs with her!

I am shaking my fist at her right now for you Amanda! Sorry this happened!

Well she called me back and said that she went through the slips and she doesn't have it. The bad part is she said her and her new consultant went throught the slips twice which is complete bull $%^& because I was standing right there. She seperated them and then stuck them in her hip pocket.The sad thing is, she has been in the biz for 10 years. You would think that she would want to help the one below her succeed, but she could care less.Gillian I have been doing more than shaking my fist at her. LOL All I can think is just wait till Karma gets ahold of her.Thank you all for your support, I knew I could vent here. I love this site.:)

Amanda,

I'm sorry you've had this problem. Too late for this time, but for everyone who does a fair/booth, here's a way to solve the problem when there are survey slips and a prize.

You collect and KEEP all your own slips. When the fair is over, the consultants names (those who worked the booth) go into a drawing. If your name is picked, you draw a winner from YOUR slips that you have at home with you. That person is the winner of the fair/booth prize.

Good luck.

Holy Crap!! I would call her and ask if she has it and when she asks why you are asking...unload on her and tell her exactly how you feel.

Maybe....Maybe she's "accidentally taking" your slips BECAUSE no one else will work with her? :confused:

If your group makes their own door prize slips, have each person print their door prize slips off in a different color. This way you will be able to see if someone did take your slip or if you are not around, then someone else would see that someone is taking your slips. If it is a one day or two day thing. Put the slips in a box/container that can lock. Then when everyone is there you can than separate them.

Another thing that I do. I made up a form that I have the person who maybe thinking about hosting a show or considering PC as a job, fill out a host/recruit form (that I have made into a book). this way I have their information just incase their door prize slips does come up missing. I also carry this home made book with me no matter where I go, so that I can put anyone's information in it.

oh my goodness!! I would be mad too. people like this you want to take a "hit" out on them, HA!! i hope it all works out for you. just remember "no good/bad deed goes unpunished."

Amanda when you gave the woman the info on the business, did it have your info on it? hopefully she'll call you.

It stinks that you have to deal with this..and I know this is a business but what she did was so wrong. Its hard to open up your mouth at times but in the future I would try to keep things separate at the fairs. Just say (even to her) that you had a bad experience with leads slips disappearing and to keep things fair you are having your own box to keep your slips. Anything that looks very promising, put in your pocket. let her pat you down to get it out! lol
Again sorry you went thru this b/c she scks!

Here's something we tried at fairsI do a lot of fairs. I give (or have everyone bring to a meeting) a pad of Prize Drawing Slips, and tell them all to mark the back of the slip with a colored marker (we just used a pack of highlighters with different colors, pink, blue, yellow, green, etc). Evryone kept their own pack of slips. When the slips are filled out by customers/prospects and go into the QSP , at the end of the day it is easy to see who's slips are whose. We also have done our own Prize Drawing slips and I have everyone run them off on a different color of paper, then it's easy to sort. The advantage of this is that it looks really colorful with all these different colors of paper in the QSP and it attracts attention to the drawing at the booth.

Now, that said, what I would do would be very bold with this director (shoot, she steals your leads, I sure as heck wouldn't worry about offending her) and call her and say sweetly " I sure am concerned about that lead disappearing...I am surprised because the Recipe for Success is clear about taking someone else's lead from them not being too professional. If I can't get hold of this woman because her lead is "lost", I guess I'll have to get hold of Field Services and get their advice about how to handle this.".

I tend to be mama bear about these kinds of things. What this woman has done to you is not sad, it's stealing. Call it what you want, it's stealing.

Nancy Collins

You guys are awesome!!!! Thanks!
chefjeanine Amanda,
You collect and KEEP all your own slips. When the fair is over, the consultants names (those who worked the booth) go into a drawing. If your name is picked, you draw a winner from YOUR slips that you have at home with you.

Thanks Chefjeanie that is an awesome idea, I have another fair w/ some sister consultants in another town in 2 weeks (not w/ the director :D doing the happy dance), I may implement this technique.

soonerchef Holy Crap!! I would call her and ask if she has it and when she asks why you are asking...unload on her and tell her exactly how you feel.
Andrea I am torn on doing this for 2 reasons, one to create more drama between me & my director, because she thinks this lady walks on water, & 2 this lady gets first choice on all the fairs in the area because she has been doing them all for so long, so then that would alinate a way of me getting new biz through fairs.

jentapp Maybe she's "accidentally taking" your slips BECAUSE no one else will work with her?
I wish that was the case, but she is doing it on purpose because she reads all the names on the tickets and if she recognizes one of her past hosts or good customers she takes it. She is slimey!

TinasKitchen Amanda when you gave the woman the info on the business, did it have your info on it? hopefully she'll call you.
Tina everything had my info, the catalog, recipe card, opp brochere, and the extra flyer all contained my name home & cell #'s, & my website. However I told her I would send her an invite to my OPP. Night, and now I feel like I am a flake, and she wouldn't want to sign under me. But if this director recruits her don't think I won't ask how she was contacted.

She will get hers in the end, and I will sit back and laugh!:p

All I can say is.... wow...:confused:

1. What is the purpose of "Need a Place to Vent!! Tia?"

The purpose of "Need a Place to Vent!! Tia" is to provide a safe and supportive space for individuals to express their frustrations, share experiences, and seek advice without fear of judgment.

2. Who can participate in "Need a Place to Vent!! Tia?"

Anyone is welcome to participate in "Need a Place to Vent!! Tia," including Pampered Chef consultants, customers, and employees. We encourage open and respectful communication from all individuals.

3. How can I join "Need a Place to Vent!! Tia?"

To join "Need a Place to Vent!! Tia," simply request to join the private Facebook group. Once your request is approved, you can start posting and interacting with other members.

4. Are there any rules or guidelines for participating in "Need a Place to Vent!! Tia?"

Yes, we ask that all members follow our community guidelines, which include being respectful and supportive of others, refraining from promoting personal or business interests, and avoiding offensive or discriminatory language.

5. Can I remain anonymous while participating in "Need a Place to Vent!! Tia?"

Yes, we understand that some individuals may feel more comfortable sharing their thoughts and experiences anonymously. All posts and interactions in "Need a Place to Vent!! Tia" are private and only visible to members of the group.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
ShellBeach
  • chef131doreen
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Bren706
  • cmdtrgd
  • General Chat
Replies