• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Appetizers for 200+ People--Help!

but it would be a great option for a smaller event.At a local fair (Canfield fair) one year, our cluster had a PC booth. We actually took apples, and had the apple/peeler/corer/slicer on hand. For a donation of $1, customers were allowed to use the product, or we did it for them, and they got an "apple slinky". We donated the $$ to Second Harvest Food Bank. The upside to this was, we didn't have any "waste" or left-overs to really worry about. Downside was, it's a bit messy, and that many apples would...but it would be a great option for a smaller event.
jenniwest04
I was very fortunate the other weekend and was asked by the management of an Ann Taylor Loft store to have a table at her "Pamper Yourself" sale that is being sponsored by a high end spa in the area (I live 40 minutes away in rural area in another county and the mall the store is located in is in the closest small city). Well, I, of course, jumped at the opportunity! And am sold on the catalog tote because that's how she noticed me! Well, she said I could set up a table, she'd appreciate if I could donate a prize and wondered if I could have some food samples--and I mentioned the new dipping oils. Well, I spoke with her yesterday and, as of right now, they are expecting around 200 people!! And I received the advertisement and it states "Appetizers provided by The Pampered Chef." So basically I feel like I need to do more than some bread to try the dipping oils. I can't afford to spend very much and it can't be something that needs to be warm because of the drive I have to that mall.Suggestions, please!! I'm almost wondering if I could be way simple on some things and have crackers using the new bamboo tray...bread cubes on one of the bamboo platters with the oils in the bamboo bowls...but I feel a bit obligated to do something more.I have to do this next Wed. I'm blessed with the opportunity but feeling stressed with the appetizer situation for the number of people.

I don't know if you could do this, but I would try the proferiole (cream) puffs. You can make them in batches and they hold up well, I have even freezed batches and you can do 24 at a time. Good Luck. I did this for a business Fair last year and it went over very well!

The Apple berry salsa is a good one... it wont need to be hot or cold...

Attachments

• Apple berry salsa.doc
    24 KB · Views: 456
Ish said:
The Apple berry salsa is a good one... it wont need to be hot or cold...

That might be nice to showcase the collapsible bowl:)

Um, is she reimbursing you for food?That's pretty forward to say "appetizers provided by..."People will expect more than a sample then. How can you make, serve and also man your table?

I'd also go with a GIANT stainless bowl of the pineapple salsa and some chips...Pretzels on the side????

janetupnorth said:
Um, is she reimbursing you for food?

That's pretty forward to say "appetizers provided by..."

People will expect more than a sample then. How can you make, serve and also man your table?

No, on the reimbursement--unless she is planning on doing so and hasn't said anything. I originally just understood it to be a few samples--which is why I mentioned having some bread to sample the dipping oils and she sounded fine with that. Then I saw the ad...it took me by surprise, but I want to meet the guests expectations but I can't break the bank either...

Well, hopefully those will be 200 paying guests ;). That'll make it worth your while!

You need to call her for clarification...and peace of mind. Make sure that both of you understand what each other's expectations are.

Jennifer,
I agree with the others. I think you should talk to the coordinator and see what the expectations actually are.
Where in Ohio are you, by the way? I'm in a suburb of Youngstown myself!

Best wishes,
Paula

Paula R. Lewis said:
Jennifer,
I agree with the others. I think you should talk to the coordinator and see what the expectations actually are.
Where in Ohio are you, by the way? I'm in a suburb of Youngstown myself!Best wishes,
Paula
I'm from Dover--East Central OH. I'm 40 minutes south of the Canton area. I actually observed my first show after signing in the Youngstown area!

I'd stick with the bread and dipping seasonings. Serving that many people makes me nervous about food poisoning, especially when you don't have a kitchen available to keep things at temp.

So is it being held in Canton? or Akron, perhaps?

I like the Profiterole Puffs, too. They can be done totally in advance, and frozen, which means less hassle for you!
Here's another idea for you to consider:
At a local fair (Canfield fair) one year, our cluster had a PC booth. We actually took apples, and had the apple/peeler/corer/slicer on hand. For a donation of $1, customers were allowed to use the product, or we did it for them, and they got an "apple slinky". We donated the $$ to Second Harvest Food Bank. The upside to this was, we didn't have any "waste" or left-overs to really worry about. Downside was, it's a bit messy, and that many apples would be a bit heavy! lol

I think I'd also think about the recipe which is marshmallow creme mixed with cream cheese and divided into 3 bowls, each mixed with 1 tablespoon of either Cinnamon Sprinkles, Caramel Sprinkles or Hazelnut Sprinkles, and served with graham crackers or pretzels. You may just want to offer one flavor, though, or people will want to try all 3!
You could put it in the new Bamboo bowl/cracker tray.

Sorry you weren't in Youngstown, or I'd offer to come and help you with it! lol

I hope it goes well for you!!
Paula

Do the sweet sprinkles dips and serve with tiny pretzels and graham sticks. I did this at a big vendor event and people aren't coming to eat (but my ad didn't say appetizers provided) and the bread dips. Both would be quick, easy and will go a very, very long way!!

how about the pumpkin gems..1 batch makes about 100 and very in expensive...I make them up ahead of time and freeze them...they freeze well. I buy a tub of cream cheese frosting and fill my easy accent decorator..display them on SA stands and platters...put frosting on them as you put them out on platters....

PUMPKIN GEMS

1 yellow cake mix
3 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 can (20 ounces) pumpkin

Preheat oven to 350F. Blend together all ingredients. Spritz each
Mini-Muffin well and fill 2/3 full. Bake for 15 minutes. Cool then frost
with Cream Cheese Frosting.

kreaser said:
how about the pumpkin gems..1 batch makes about 100 and very in expensive...I make them up ahead of time and freeze them...they freeze well. I buy a tub of cream cheese frosting and fill my easy accent decorator..display them on SA stands and platters...put frosting on them as you put them out on platters....

PUMPKIN GEMS

1 yellow cake mix
3 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 can (20 ounces) pumpkin

Preheat oven to 350F. Blend together all ingredients. Spritz each
Mini-Muffin well and fill 2/3 full. Bake for 15 minutes. Cool then frost
with Cream Cheese Frosting.

Thank you for the recipe--that would be very inexpensive since I was planning on getting all the ingredients at Aldi's! I think I'll have some bread for the dipping oils (small cubes), perhaps the sweet sprinkle dips with some pretzels and then something like this recipe...I'll keep it simple. Plus, this is from 6 -9 at a mall so I'm sure people aren't expecting to be filled by the food and I could showcase quite of few of our items. I hope to get some good contacts out of this!

This is a lot to take on, and the last thing you want it to be a server and not make any solid contacts, I would recommend getting some HELP, weather it be a team mate or your husband. You will kick yourself if you send this kind of money, frantically feed 200 people and get NO SOLID LEADS. This is something they talk about on a training CD re: booths. Hope this helps!

it took me by surpriseIt would have floored me! Then I'd call and have a chat with her. Samples of bread are in no way near what people are going to be expecting from "Appetizers provided by The Pampered Chef." She needs to hire a caterer, IMO.

ShellBeach said:
it took me by surprise

It would have floored me! Then I'd call and have a chat with her. Samples of bread are in no way near what people are going to be expecting from "Appetizers provided by The Pampered Chef."

She needs to hire a caterer, IMO.

I totally agree with you.

It is on the invitation that has already gone out though, she's got to do something now or she'll look crazy. I do agree with someone about finding some help. You need to enlist 2 or 3 teenagers who can "man" the appetizer table while your work your business table. Kinda let that be a separate entity.

That's what I mean, the PC gal will look crazy, not the Ann Taylor people.
I've gone to similar things at J Jill and other upscale stores like it, and they have it catered. With servers in B&W uniforms walking around with trays.The management at this store needs to step up to the table on this.
edit - They need to provide some beverages, too.Jennifer, I don't mean to freak you out, but that was way out of line between what you discussed with the management and what went out to the invites.
Sounds like they are trying to take advantage of you! I'm sure it can be worked out, but you HAVE to say something.

I agree with the comments above - there is a HUGE difference between providing samples and providing appetizers, especially when it is for 200 people!!

If she wants you to do it still, she needs to pay for the ingredients, and maybe for your time making them... And I agree, definately try to have a helper or two to serve.

Something that is pretty easy, quick, super yummy, looks impressive and is not *too terribly* expensive is the truffle brownie cups. I often make double batches, which is 48 at a time and it is REALLY quick, especially if you use the small scoop to fill the pans. So 4 double batches would be around 200. If you could borrow another MMP (or 2, or 3!) it would help alot! It would take a bit of time, but wouldn't be terrible, especially if you quadrupled the recipe...

I like this because you can fill them and freeze them ahead of time, and they still taste GREAT. Fill them with the EAD and they look beautiful. You just have to be careful to not overcook them though.

You could also do something in the large bar pan and then cut it into really small squares, so each pan would make 40 squares (2" x 2", cut the pan into 5 rows by 8 rows) or 60 squares (cut it into 6 rows by 10 rows, about 1.5" x 1.5" squares. Then you only need to make 4 or 5 batches of something (again borrow one if you need to so you can make double batches).

I'm trying to think of something savory in the large bar pan that would not require refrigeration, and that would still look pretty cut into small squares. Anyone else have any ideas???

Well, I hope this helps a little!

Annabel

I do have help with this--my kid sister (not really a kid--she's 22) is going to help. I'm not at all scared actually of the number of people and manning it myself--and I know that might sound weird, but you see, I'm a college admissions counselor/recruiter and advisor and have a ton of college fairs under my belt. So I'm used to being swarmed by 500 - 1000 people trying to recruit them to my campus. I usually am at my best in those situations. I'm having the little sis man the food and I'm going to be charming the crowd is my plan.

I think with the suggestions I did receive that I can do this very economically using out local aldi's store. But I agree that from our conversation to what the manager put on her advertising piece was way out of line. My hope is a pay off in good leads--and at least I didn't have to pay any booth costs...so perhaps I should look at the food as a trade off for not spending 30 - 50 on a booth.

Oh, and lucky for me both my sister and i have been servers for years at a very fast-paced restaurant. She has 5 years experience and I have 9 (shocker when I just did the math!!). So we're used to high volume in a short period of time. Lucky this number of people will be spread over 3 hours! I have full faith she can handle the food while I network and she and I are going over details tonight.

Jenni- sounds like you know what you are doing and are going to be ok. I think the bread with dipping oils and the sprinkles dips would be good. Let us know how it goes.

Jen
just curious..where are you a college admissions officer?
karlene

Mini Brownie Bites are a hit. They are easy to do and they travel well. I make 4 dozen at a time! You can get the big box of brownie mix at Sam's for less than $7.00 and it makes 12 dozen.

I think, other than the question of which appetizers, there's an issue with the organizer understanding what PC consultants actually do. Many people see the word "chef" and assume we are caterers. It sounds to me like that's what the organizer thinks.

chefann said:
I think, other than the question of which appetizers, there's an issue with the organizer understanding what PC consultants actually do. Many people see the word "chef" and assume we are caterers. It sounds to me like that's what the organizer thinks.

I agree with Ann, I've had people tell me "I'll use you when I need you".

kreaser said:
Jen
just curious..where are you a college admissions officer?
karlene

I am employed by Kent State University, working at the Tuscarawas Campus in New Phila. We're the second largest regional campus in the 8 campus network. Love it!:love: I've been there 3 and a half years in my position, a couple years as a student employee and started taking classes in high school in 1999. They just can't get rid of me:)

chefann said:

She seemed to understand when I spoke to her originally--she mentioned she hoped it would be an opportunity for me to be able to get orders and make contacts for shows and bridal registries...

Should be good, sounds like a place to meet folks that have disposable income to spend on PC!

Hadn't thought of the food cost vs. a booth cost. Good point! Put some PC pizza dough mix on your table, too.

The update...the manager offered an extra opportunity in a prize drawing if they booked a show from me tonight. She was thrilled with the food (bread and dipping oils and the sweet dips with pretzels) and even offered me a job, haha.Not nearly as many as 200 people there, though. I would say about 50--I ended up with 2 definite bookings--one for this month and one for June for a group of teachers, a possible relay for life fundraiser, a chance to have a table at a women's club that meets once every other month and a very nice chair massage from the spa there.I did get some contact information who were interested in the spring catalog and how they could order without having show...website! And had a lot of good feedback from the attendees on the food.I realize 2 shows is not a lot, but it will cover the 20 dollars in food costs (most of which wasn't used and I will freeze and use for other expos) and my gas for sure and get me in an area that I'm never in!So although others may not feel it was a success, in my eyes, it was :)Thanks for the suggestions from you all--the sweet sprinkle dips were the big hit! And cheap to make!

Oh, yes, I was only there 2 and a half hours and the manager gave me an absolutely HUGE discount on merchandise--$400 worth of jackets and clothes for $150!! She gave me a special deal since I'm saving for vacation but need some work/vacation clothes.

Sounds like it worked out for you. Good job!

sounds like a success to me!

Sounds like it worked out for you after all! Heck, the discount on the clothes was worth it!!

Definitely a success! Thanks for the update!

Glad it worked out!! And even 1 booking is a success. Not to mention the HUGE discount on clothing you got! Way to go, girl!

$20 in food cost, some of your time and a discount on clothing: = 2 bookings. I would consider this a success. Even one booking.

You know you'll make that $20 back on one of the shows, not to mention getting you connected with a new bunch of people!

Congrats!

So happy for you!! Keep up the good work!!

Can anyone share the recipe for the sweet sprinkle dips????

set-n-stone said:
Can anyone share the recipe for the sweet sprinkle dips????

There are a couple different ones - the one that I use is

8 oz sour cream
8 oz cream cheese - softened
7 oz jar marshmallow cream

Mix this together until throughly blended, and then divide into 3rds. To each third add 2 Tbls. of the different sprinkles. I serve them in the Dots Trio Bowl.

Thanks!! Becky D.

wow... just caught this thread, but it sure sounds like you ended up with a HUGE success. Congrats & well done :)

1. What are some easy appetizer ideas for a large crowd?

Some easy appetizer ideas for a large crowd could include a charcuterie board with meats, cheeses, and crackers, vegetable platters with dips, fruit skewers or cups, mini quiches or tarts, and finger foods like meatballs or chicken skewers.

2. How can I keep appetizers fresh for a large event?

To keep appetizers fresh for a large event, you can use serving platters with covers, keep them refrigerated or on ice until serving, and replenish them as needed throughout the event.

3. Are there any affordable appetizer options for a budget-friendly event?

Yes, there are several affordable appetizer options for a budget-friendly event. Some ideas could include making homemade dips and spreads, using budget-friendly ingredients like beans and vegetables, and utilizing store-bought options like pre-made meatballs or frozen appetizers.

4. Can I make appetizers ahead of time for a large event?

Yes, you can make appetizers ahead of time for a large event. This can help save time and reduce stress on the day of the event. Some appetizers can be fully prepared and just need to be reheated before serving, while others can be prepped and assembled a few hours before the event.

5. What are some suggestions for appetizers that can be served at room temperature?

Some appetizer ideas that can be served at room temperature include cheese and cracker platters, fruit skewers or cups, antipasto skewers, hummus and pita bread, bruschetta, and deviled eggs. Additionally, you can use items like bread or crackers to display and serve dips or spreads at room temperature.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefBeckyD
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
chefann
  • janetupnorth
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
janetupnorth
  • Jennie50