• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Anyone Else Selling Lots of Outdoor Utensil Sets?

In summary, this product made me think, "Okaaaaayy." Rae thinks it's a great idea to keep them in the car/desk, etc......!
raebates
Staff member
I'm just curious. This is one of those products that made me think, "Okaaaaayy."

In a moment of inspiration, I stuck a set in my briefcase. The next day I grabbed a baked potato from a local fast-food place and took it back to the office for lunch. Just as I was mixing the butter and sour cream into my potato the fork broke in two. Now, I don't know if you've ever tried eating with half a fork. It ain't easy.

As I sat there thinking, "Dang! My fork broke," I remembered the Outdoor Utensil Set in my briefcase. That potato tasted so good. Satisfaction is a great seasoning.

Two days later, my office mates and I got soup from a local shop. They sent three spoons instead of four. Not to worry. I had my Outdoor Utensil Set!

I've placed a couple of sets in my van, too. I figure they'll be nice to have handy.

I've started telling this story at my shows. I've sold sets to:

Families who like to picnic
Couples who camp
Individuals who backpack (they're amazingly strong but light)
People who work where there's a company canteen or cafeteria that uses flimsy plastic utensils.

I sold 2 sets to a customer who runs a daycare.....she takes the kids to a park for picnics sometimes, and uses the party plates...and got so excited when she saw the cutlery to match!
Good idea to keep them in the car/desk, etc......!

Rae,

Love the ideas!

I am actually organizing a picnic lunch for my mom's group this month and you can be sure that my son adn I will be eating off the Outdoor Party Plates with the matching utensils!

Oh man!! I need to get rid of my plasticware here in my office! The worst thing is salads.....the forks just don't work!Okay, now I am thinking....how easy would it be to purchase a bunch of sets to hand out at parties (of course for them to use, then return... right in your used dishes bucket/bag!) ...that would get people using them!

Jennifer, that's a GREAT idea! Then hosts don't have to buy plasticware, and you get another product into customers' hands.

be sure you stress to them they are not disposable!!

Right! I'd hate to invest in them and then have them thrown out (or disappear into purses).

Now, I am contemplating the outdoor party plates too!! I think I would have to do a max of 12 of each....since they come in sets of 6 each! Okay, great idea! I might invest in BOTH:eek: ....then I have them for my own parties!

I need to submit an order to kick my sales up a little this month... maybe I'll get some of these for my shows. And then hit them with a paint pen to mark them as mine.

Always thinkin'. Aren't you, Ann?

I use the party plates for my shows now, but still ask that hosts buy plastic cutlery. I don't know why I didn't think of using the new silverware. I haven't sold a set yet!!

I've also started handing the utensils around at the shows while I tell the stories about using them at work. The first couple of people are always hesitant to pull them hard enough to get them apart. I stop mid-sentence, tell them to pull harder because they aren't going to break, then return to my story. I think I'm going to be selling lots of these.

Alright, so there goes my idea of the party in a bucket thing as a booking benefit if I am supplying the utensils and plates!

I never thought of the new utensils as part of the demo until reading this thread. I don't have them yet but do have the plates. Guess I know what I'll have to add on to a show now! Thanks for the great idea. I might get a set to leave in my bag for when you need them. Oh, my brain is going crazy thinking of places I could use them as the weather gets warmer and we go places and pull them out and have people go crazy as to where did you get those!

jenniferknapp said:
Alright, so there goes my idea of the party in a bucket thing as a booking benefit if I am supplying the utensils and plates!

Depends on how many guests they will have. Wouldn't it be nice to have a show where you needed so many sets!

Like the ideas...I had 15 people at my show last night (after 5 had cancelled last minute - thought there'd be 20...)...that's a lot of silverware...

Now if I can only get my sales $$$s up higher to match...got the attendance, got the bookings (3 for sures off this show - working on finalizing 2 more before close)...now if I can only get them to spend more...

After 3 cooking shows, I'm already getting "groupies" - which is good but they only spend $15-$20 per show...

Ok, sorry, got way off topic on the silverware...back to that...checking it out...I noticed I tend to sell what I show...I bring a lot (need to lighten up) but I need to get focused on some higher $$$ items probably...

Janet,

I never focus on talking about lower priced items....someone told me long ago that those items everyone will find for themselves in the catalog, and I've seen that to be true.
A great CD to listen to is Selling Product Collections. (I think that's the name) It is a big help in how to sell Stoneware, Cookware, and SA. Also - I always make sure my demo includes one piece of stoneware & cookware - even if I have to make it fit somehow!
I do talk about products as I am using them (scrapers, garlic press, etc....) but my FOCUS is always on the product collections!

HTH!

ChefBeckyD said:
Janet,

I never focus on talking about lower priced items....someone told me long ago that those items everyone will find for themselves in the catalog, and I've seen that to be true.
A great CD to listen to is Selling Product Collections. (I think that's the name) It is a big help in how to sell Stoneware, Cookware, and SA. Also - I always make sure my demo includes one piece of stoneware & cookware - even if I have to make it fit somehow!
I do talk about products as I am using them (scrapers, garlic press, etc....) but my FOCUS is always on the product collections!

HTH!

Thanks Becky - I'll check and see if Yvonne has that CD in her library... :)

janetupnorth said:
Thanks Becky - I'll check and see if Yvonne has that CD in her library... :)

I think it was last yr., or maybe 2 yrs ago that HO sent one to every consultant w/ their changeover kit.....so she probably has it!
I still think it's too bad you won't be able to make the 1st wave! We could have sat together at Yvonne's dinner!

Selling Product Collections used to come in the Booster/Business Building Kit. Did you order that, Janet?

I do what Becky does--focus on the big collections and I get quite a few host who book to get new cookware.

Oops--just checked and it does not come in the Business Building Package under the new program (pg 17 of your Business Binder under Business Basics).

ChefBeckyD said:
I think it was last yr., or maybe 2 yrs ago that HO sent one to every consultant w/ their changeover kit.....so she probably has it!
I still think it's too bad you won't be able to make the 1st wave! We could have sat together at Yvonne's dinner!

:( Yeah, would have loved to meet you in person...maybe next year...at least I get to sit in the "Home Office Direct" dinner. :)

Anyone else having trouble "un-snapping" the utensil sets? I am SO scared they will break as I pull them apart. :eek: (Yes, I am pulling closer to the center, not at the top where they will break!)

Don't be scared, my little Georgia Peach. Just yank them apart.BTW, they get a little easier as you use them.

janetupnorth said:
Like the ideas...I had 15 people at my show last night (after 5 had cancelled last minute - thought there'd be 20...)...that's a lot of silverware...

I would probably keep some extra plasticware in my bag for situations like this! And it will be first come, first serve for the good stuff! And plus, maybe it will spark some conversation... "How come she got that, and I didn't?"

jenniferknapp said:
I would probably keep some extra plasticware in my bag for situations like this! And it will be first come, first serve for the good stuff! And plus, maybe it will spark some conversation... "How come she got that, and I didn't?"

I did that for a while with the plates. I only stopped because they were no longer a brand new item, and I got tired of lugging them around. I probably carry way to stuff with me.

raebates said:
I did that for a while with the plates. I only stopped because they were no longer a brand new item, and I got tired of lugging them around. I probably carry way to stuff with me.

That is the only thing that I am concerned about with doing this plate/utensil thing.....and it is also so much extra to wash for me (no dishwasher)...hmm!

Yes...I think it's a good idea to get them in their hands but I am already bringing WAY too much and I am trying to pare it down. Quit giving me ideas of what MORE to take!!! ;)

Haha, I know...I am doing the same thing!! For the first time I had a guest say to me, "Wow, this looks like a lot of work!" ....so that is my que right there that I am making it look too difficult! I am a very visual and hands on person, so I guess I think that I need to bring everything in order to sell everything!

I saw those when I signed up and I was excited! I love to camp and my director was like "what are these?" and I told her that i wanted some because they were great for camping and all that.

And guess what I won at my first cluster meeting!! woo!

Can't wait to show those to my friends at my show and at my other shows

I do agree that the silverware is one more thing to bring, but I think it is an awesome thing to offer to hosts, while still showing PC products. I doubt any host really cares if you bring a certain piece as part of your display, but not having to buy plates and cutlery?? I would host for that!

I shop for ingredients for my hosts, so all they would need to do is hand out the invites and supply drinks and cups!

gilliandanielle said:
I do agree that the silverware is one more thing to bring, but I think it is an awesome thing to offer to hosts, while still showing PC products. I doubt any host really cares if you bring a certain piece as part of your display, but not having to buy plates and cutlery?? I would host for that!

I shop for ingredients for my hosts, so all they would need to do is hand out the invites and supply drinks and cups!

Too bad they don't still have cups! I still use mine all the time!!

They DON'T have them do they?? :confused: :rolleyes: :p

I thought I saw some in the outlet a week ago.

gilliandanielle said:

Maybe I will stick with the party in a bucket idea for now, and see how that does...

hoosierchef said:

Watch for them next Spring, LOL!

hoosierchef said:

They have some on the Outlet as part of a set:

#2286 Outdoor Serving Pieces — Was: $20.75 Now: $14.00
This brilliant blue set includes four 16-oz. acrylic Tumblers, one durable acrylic Serving Tray with handles (13½" surface), and two plastic Star Cube Trays that make 10 star-shaped cubes each. Dishwasher-safe.

I ordered them for out camping stuff...... heir handy for little ones too!!! The untinzles that is...

I think it'd be totally cute to give one "set" as a door prize or a host gift.
Tie some ribbon around a set - cuuute!
"Thanks for serving up such a great party, Susie hostess!"

Pampered Laura said:
I think it'd be totally cute to give one "set" as a door prize or a host gift.
Tie some ribbon around a set - cuuute!
"Thanks for serving up such a great party, Susie hostess!"

That would be cute! Also, a good prize in the door prize basket.... so many people eat lunch at work, and can bring them there....and hopefully feel the urge to buy a whole set!:)

Ooh-- door prize basket. That's a great idea, too!Everyone is just inspired at the end of the month!

I use my woven square as my door prize basket and fill it with prizes that are wrapped in cellephane (Thanks Jilleysue!) and have curled ribbons. It makes them feel like they are getting something really fun and pretty instead of a cookbook that they could tag onto their order for $1...

gilliandanielle said:
I use my woven square as my door prize basket and fill it with prizes that are wrapped in cellephane (Thanks Jilleysue!) and have curled ribbons. It makes them feel like they are getting something really fun and pretty instead of a cookbook that they could tag onto their order for $1...

Well, another item that you can add to your goody basket is one set of outdoor utensils!:p

LOL! I have the outdoor utensils set as one of my Deal or No Deal prizes and people will take the SB/citrus peeeler deal instead of the utensils!

Really? WOW...... okay, maybe not such a good idea!

Gillian--they don't know what they are missing! LOL!!!!!!

Hmmm, am I the only one who doesn't like them:( They are ok I guess.....:rolleyes:

rennea said:
Hmmm, am I the only one who doesn't like them:( They are ok I guess.....:rolleyes:

They are definitely a niche product. I don't anticipate this being something that EVERYONE will want or need. However, for those of us who fit those niches, They're great!

They aren't as nice as silverware....but they are much nicer then cheap plasticware!!At a spagetti dinner last night, a guy at my table broke his fork, and he was all worried if it flung in to someone elses food! I just giggled to myself because of this thread! If I was prepared I could have whipped out a "good set!":p

raebates said:
They are definitely a niche product. I don't anticipate this being something that EVERYONE will want or need. However, for those of us who fit those niches, They're great!

Kind of like those paper napkins;)

jenniferknapp said:
Okay, now I am thinking....how easy would it be to purchase a bunch of sets to hand out at parties (of course for them to use, then return... right in your used dishes bucket/bag!) ...that would get people using them!

It's so funny you mentioned that, because when I was becoming more familiar with the catalog, that idea popped into my head, too! What better way for customers to see how handy they are than to actually use them at shows!:D

1. What is the Outdoor Utensil Set and how is it different from traditional utensils?

The Outdoor Utensil Set is a set of durable, high-quality eating utensils that are specifically designed for outdoor use. They are made of strong materials that can withstand the rigors of camping, picnicking, and backpacking, making them much more reliable than traditional utensils.

2. What is included in the Outdoor Utensil Set?

The set includes a fork, knife, and spoon, all made of heavy-duty stainless steel. These utensils also come with a compact carrying case for easy transport and storage.

3. How does the Outdoor Utensil Set hold up against regular use?

The Outdoor Utensil Set is designed to withstand regular use and is made of high-quality materials that are built to last. Whether you're using them for a quick lunch at the office or on a camping trip, these utensils are strong and reliable.

4. Can the Outdoor Utensil Set be used for hot and cold foods?

Yes, the utensils in the set are suitable for use with both hot and cold foods. The stainless steel material is able to handle high temperatures without warping or melting, making them perfect for use with a variety of dishes.

5. Is the Outdoor Utensil Set only for outdoor use?

While the set is specifically designed for outdoor use, it can also be used in everyday situations. Many customers have found the set to be a convenient and reliable option for use at work, in school cafeterias, or on the go.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcmckay
  • Sell Pampered Chef Items
Replies
Views
Sheilainwv
  • chezshelly
  • Sell Pampered Chef Items
Replies
Views
Celia
  • vanscootin