• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

anEarthquake 5.5 Just Hit the Grater Los Angeles Area!!!

I have no idea where that is.In summary, a 5.5 earthquake hit the greater Los Angeles area, causing widespread shaking and aftershocks. Many people were unable to reach their loved ones due to phone lines being down. Thankfully, most people seem to be safe and there is no major damage reported so far.
Addie4TLC
Silver Member
An earthquake 5.5 just hit the grater Los Angeles Area!!!

Re: Earthquake!!Oh my - I hope you are safe!

Re: Earthquake!!I'm in Santa Ana today, but all of my family is in L A and I cant reach them the lines are down. My husband sent me a text but he's isn't in LA either. I'm on the 7th floor and it was a BIG one, lasted a long time. We're about 40 miles from LA.

Re: Earthquake!!Well, I really hope your family and property is safe!

Re: Earthquake!!Wow Addie - really hope and pray that you are able to contact your family soon!

Re: Earthquake!!I just heard about it. Yikes. That is one thing I don't miss about living there.I hope everyone is safe!

Re: Earthquake!!It was really wide spread. I'm about two hours north of LA and we felt it!

Re: Earthquake!!Lines are down when I call my mom and my kids. The LA office where I work three days a week said it felt pretty bad but eveyone is okay, only got scared. I'm praying and feel calm and confident that my family is okay. Couldn't reply to my husband's text. Everyone is probably trying to call their loved ones.

Re: Earthquake!!Those afer shocks are not fun either. I can tell our building has those rolling things, so even after they're over, they're not over. I'm leaving the building for lunch.

Re: Earthquake!!Hope everyone's ok!

My aunt work in downtown LA and just emailed me:
We just had an earthquake. Only 5.8 but our building swayed like a tire in a tree swing.

Re: Earthquake!!Wow, I hope there aren't any injuries.
I will be praying!

Re: Earthquake!!My prayers are with our PC friends and families in Cali today!

Re: Earthquake!!Oh my! I've enjoyed an afternoon of no television or radio and I haven't checked on any news sites either, thanks for informing us. Take care everyone.

Re: Earthquake!!My parents just called me from there - they are on vacation and in a 7th floor hotel room.

They said it was pretty wild and the building has the ball bearings too - so they were rolling around! It lasted about 20 seconds and they stood in the doorway hoping the building wouldn't fall over.

My Mom lived in CA a lot and has experienced earthquakes before, so she was calm, but my Dad is from the midwest and had never felt one before so he was pretty shaken up.

I think that everyone is okay though - and I read online that so far there doesn't seem to be any damage.

Thankfully!

Re: Earthquake!!Glad to hear you are safe Addie. We will be praying that your family is okay too! Same goes for the rest of our PC family in California.

Re: Earthquake!!my sister is in Mareno Valley.......how close is that to LA???????????

Re: Earthquake!!Fairly close, but not too close. I'm sure she felt it, but only mildly. I live about 2 hours north of LA, and I barely felt it...I thought I was going crazy until I saw the post on here about it.

Re: Earthquake!!
redsoxgirl said:
Hope everyone's ok!

My aunt work in downtown LA and just emailed me:
We just had an earthquake. Only 5.8 but our building swayed like a tire in a tree swing.

That sounds about right!! I didn't panic because I have been in a few myself but several people here had the look of terror on their face. I told one lady to calm down and stand by me in a door way. Dust particles where coming off the ceiling so that scared people even more, like the place was starting to crumble.

27 aftershocks they say.... Everyone in my family is okay and the kids thought it was the coolest thing.. Go figure!

chefmeg said:
my sister is in Mareno Valley.......how close is that to LA???????????

Yeah Moreno Valley is farther away than where I'm at in Santa Ana. Everything should be fine there. The people in the high rise buildings really felt a lot of movement because of the way the buildings are constructed. A friend on the 39th floor of a building says he thinks he learned a few new dance moves.

Re: Earthquake!!Glad you got to hear about your family & that they are all ok Addie!

kaseydee said:
Glad you got to hear about your family & that they are all ok Addie!

Thank you! And EVERYONE for their prayers.

Re: Earthquake!!Gotta loves these Cali earthquakes! Although the news said it reached San Diego, I didn't feel a thing! Hope all is well in the greater LA area.

Re: Earthquake!!Okay, got my geography wrong. Moreno Valley is near Riverside, but I'm sure she felt it. Epicenter was in Chino area, which is west of Riverside. Give her a call. I'm sure she can tell you about it.

heat123 said:
Gotta loves these Cali earthquakes! Although the news said it reached San Diego, I didn't feel a thing! Hope all is well in the greater LA area.

I was thinking about you Heather because I heard that too-that it reached SD. I'm glad all is well.

I hope everyone else fares well!!! That's gotta be scary! I heard it might have been felt in Las Vegas too. I'll be there a week from Thursday.:eek:

DebbieJ said:
Okay, got my geography wrong. Moreno Valley is near Riverside, but I'm sure she felt it. Epicenter was in Chino area, which is west of Riverside. Give her a call. I'm sure she can tell you about it.

Moreno Valley is about 30 miles away from Chino which is about the same distance from where I am now. Just maped it. They are saying that even in the epicenter there was no significant damage and no casualties, that's good. You should get in touch though because once people talk about it it may help if they were scared.

Re: Earthquake!!My friend says a lot of people went home and some are still in shock.

Re: Earthquake!!Greater L.A.? Yes we felt it here.However, but the epicenter was in San Bernardino county-Chino Hills.33 deg. 57.3 min. N (33.955N), 117 deg. 45.9 min. W (117.765W) Big difference. As a native Angelino, just had to clarify the geography. :)I'm a map geek!

Re: Earthquake!!My niece called me to let me now she was fine about 10 minutes after it happened....she is in Upland, about 5 minutes from the epi-center. I had no idea that they even had one!

The phone line went out in the middle of our call, lines were sketchy for a while, but all is well for now. Hope all our Cali consultants are ok!

Re: Earthquake!!Glad your family was all ok Addie!

lacychef said:
Glad your family was all ok Addie!

Thank you Lacy! When I was driving home I thought, "Oh no! I have most of my simple additions big bowls and plates up on top of shelves and in high places!" To my complete surprise nothing fell!! My large square bowl and round where in their respective baskets on top of eachother on a high shelf and they didn't fall!! If they weren't in the baskets they probably would have slipped off.

Who cares, I'm just glad everyone is okay. That just added to my joy! :)

Re: Earthquake!!I'm in Orange, right next to Santa Ana. I was in the garage and I thought to myself--why is the garage door starting to close (it was shaking). Realized what it was and decided the garage was definitely NOT the place to be in an earthquake, LOL. Left garage immediately. We are all fine here. My daughter was at work in Yorba Linda, close to the epicenter. She's fine, but the employees were a little shaken

1. What is the magnitude of the earthquake?

The magnitude of the earthquake is 5.5 on the Richter scale, which is considered a moderate earthquake.

2. Where exactly did the earthquake hit in Los Angeles?

The earthquake hit the greater Los Angeles area, but the exact location may vary depending on the source. It is important to check with reliable sources for the most accurate information.

3. Are there any immediate dangers or hazards after the earthquake?

It is important to stay alert and follow any safety procedures recommended by local authorities. There may be aftershocks, landslides, or other hazards that can occur after an earthquake.

4. How can I prepare for future earthquakes in the Los Angeles area?

It is important to have an emergency plan in place, including supplies and evacuation routes. It is also recommended to secure any objects in your home or workplace that could potentially fall or cause harm during an earthquake.

5. How common are earthquakes in the Los Angeles area?

Earthquakes are relatively common in the Los Angeles area due to its location on the San Andreas Fault. However, not all earthquakes are felt or cause significant damage. It is important to stay informed and prepared for potential earthquakes in the area.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • jjaastef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci