• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

andWe Wonder Why Kids Have Bad Manners?

In summary, the Girl Scouts took a group of girls on an overnight trip to the Great Wolf Lodge and also toured the Russell Stover Chocolate Factory. On their way back home, only 2 of the parents picked up their daughters. The Girl Scouts were bewildered because the parents had been given verbal instructions on how to behave. The kids also say "bye and thank you" each night to their leaders, teachers, and bus drivers. Finally, kids learn from more than just their parents.
As for the manners........

Sometimes I feel like the only person is this world (and I know this is not true) that demands respect from my children. Manners are just not an option....they must be used at all times. My children are very aware of how to ask for things, that the word want is not to be used, that sassing your mother will result in soap in the mouth and that certain behavior is not acceptable. It is appalling. With our Daisy troop this year we had a few girls that responded to their parents horribly but if I said something to them, they snapped right to.

My friends joke about sending their kids to Ms Erin's Boot Camp...

fikibiff said:
Both of my kids knew "Please" and "Thank You" in sign language before they could even say them - and they used them regularly. Now that they are 4 and 5 1/2 they say them about 70% of the time with out reminders.

Too funny! I signed with my kids, too (my DS still signs, as his speech is iffy and he will occasionally throw in the sign to get his point across), and the first sign they learned was Please. It was actually less manner related and more practical - anything they wanted could be withheld until they signed Please. It sounds kind of mean, but boy, did they learn that sign quickly!! :)

They are pretty good about it, although occasionally I will remind them by saying, "What's the magic word?" Although, the first time I did that, DS's response was, "Mommy." My DH just about died laughing!

jbachen said:
Too funny! I signed with my kids, too (my DS still signs, as his speech is iffy and he will occasionally throw in the sign to get his point across), and the first sign they learned was Please. It was actually less manner related and more practical - anything they wanted could be withheld until they signed Please. It sounds kind of mean, but boy, did they learn that sign quickly!! :)

They are pretty good about it, although occasionally I will remind them by saying, "What's the magic word?" Although, the first time I did that, DS's response was, "Mommy." My DH just about died laughing!

I tried and tried to get my DS to sign.....and he refused! His verbal skills were way ahead of his motor skills, and instead of learning to sign, he would just learn the words. I would do the sign, and repeat it, and he would look at me funny and then try to say the word.

He was talking in 3 word sentences at 1 yr. - but he didn't walk until he was 18 months old! I've never once had to use the phrase "use your words" but we still have to do fine motor skill exercises - and he'll be 4 in 10 days!

I took my DS to Busch Gardens Europe today (only 45 minutes from us) and there were several middle school groups there. Now, mind you, he goes to middle school in September, but he got to see first hand how rude alot of these kids were. They were cutting in lines, walking in groups so that no one could get past them, feeling each other up in public, and using foul language. THIS IS MIDDLE SCHOOL! One the way home, DS was very quiet...I asked if he wanted to talk about anything and he said "I am worried about middle school". I asked why???? He replied "I don't want to be rude & stupid like the kids we saw today"!!!!!!!!!!!!! I assured him that there would be times he would be a total goofball, but as long as he made good choices and thinks to himself "would my mom like what I am doing/saying?" he would be OK!

<h2>1. How can we expect kids to have good manners when their own parents don't?</h2><p>Manners are learned behaviors, and children often mimic the behavior of those around them. If parents are not modeling good manners, it can be difficult for children to learn and practice them. It is important for parents to lead by example and consistently reinforce good manners in their children.</p><h2>2. Why do some parents not prioritize teaching their children manners?</h2><p>Many factors can contribute to this, such as busy schedules, lack of knowledge or understanding of the importance of manners, or simply not knowing how to teach manners effectively. It is important for parents to prioritize teaching manners and to educate themselves on how to do so.</p><h2>3. How can we encourage children to have good manners?</h2><p>One way is through consistent and positive reinforcement. Praising children when they display good manners and gently reminding them when they forget can help reinforce the behavior. Setting clear expectations and consequences for not using manners can also be effective.</p><h2>4. Are there any resources available to help parents teach their children manners?</h2><p>Yes, there are many resources available such as books, online articles, and even classes or workshops specifically focused on teaching manners to children. It can also be helpful for parents to seek guidance from other parents or mentors who have successfully taught their own children manners.</p><h2>5. Can organizations like Girl Scouts also play a role in teaching children manners?</h2><p>Absolutely. Many organizations and programs for children, such as Girl Scouts, incorporate lessons on manners and etiquette into their curriculum. These can be a great supplement to what children learn at home and provide them with opportunities to practice and reinforce their manners in a social setting.</p>

Related to andWe Wonder Why Kids Have Bad Manners?

1. How can we expect kids to have good manners when their own parents don't?

Manners are learned behaviors, and children often mimic the behavior of those around them. If parents are not modeling good manners, it can be difficult for children to learn and practice them. It is important for parents to lead by example and consistently reinforce good manners in their children.

2. Why do some parents not prioritize teaching their children manners?

Many factors can contribute to this, such as busy schedules, lack of knowledge or understanding of the importance of manners, or simply not knowing how to teach manners effectively. It is important for parents to prioritize teaching manners and to educate themselves on how to do so.

3. How can we encourage children to have good manners?

One way is through consistent and positive reinforcement. Praising children when they display good manners and gently reminding them when they forget can help reinforce the behavior. Setting clear expectations and consequences for not using manners can also be effective.

4. Are there any resources available to help parents teach their children manners?

Yes, there are many resources available such as books, online articles, and even classes or workshops specifically focused on teaching manners to children. It can also be helpful for parents to seek guidance from other parents or mentors who have successfully taught their own children manners.

5. Can organizations like Girl Scouts also play a role in teaching children manners?

Absolutely. Many organizations and programs for children, such as Girl Scouts, incorporate lessons on manners and etiquette into their curriculum. These can be a great supplement to what children learn at home and provide them with opportunities to practice and reinforce their manners in a social setting.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• krzymomof4
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
etteluap70PC
Replies
Views
Chef Michelle D
  • pc_jessica
  • General Chat
Replies