• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Am I Understanding Right....about Taxes

The shipping is taxed in a lot of states. If you're unsure about your state, check the list on the OOF on CC.
jsnow
I am going to texas in august. If I hold a show, or 2, can I write off the cost of my rental car, gas, and hotel??

Jessica

You should be able

Save all receipts

~

While we're on the subject of taxes....

I have a problem! I did a show for a girl who lived about 5 minutes outside of town. The tax rate was 7.25%. That's what everyone paid on their order for tax. I submitted the show before realizing that we had it shipped to her mom's house in town where the tax rate is 7.75%! Is PC going to charge me the difference now??? I've never had this problem before!!! Anyone know what I should do?

Don't worry about it. In MN state tax is different than when city tax is added. I usually submit my shows with state tax only, and haven't had a problem. I've also sent a show to my sister in IL and forgotten to change the tax in my computer and haven't had a problem.

--Jenny L

HO does catch those things (obvoiusly not every time) and they will charge you the difference with a debit on your account (debit card).

I think they would charge the difference. In GA the state tax is from county to county it is all different. The last show I did the tax is 7% but P3 only charged 6 so I put the differences towards Round UP. But if it is higher I'm sure they will take the higher amount.

I have done the same thing in the past by not asking about the tax rate in a town I hadn't done biz in before. Always seems when that happens that I don't collect enough...rather than to much!

Since the correct amount is legally due to the state/county where the order was shipped to, PC does have to account for that money somehow, even if it is a small amount. I know they collect it back from us somehow, probably thru the debit card or possibly as a commission adjustment.

They will collect that from you via a commission adjustment. I've had it happen to me - I actually didn't realize that the city of Phila. has a 7% tax rate and the outerlying counties (where I live) have a 6% tax rate for the first year I was a consultant, and I never realized that they were adjusting my commissions to account for it, until I noticed it one day, and said "OOPS!" I haven't let that happen again, that's for sure!! ;)

Also, in Texas there is a tax on the shipping which doesn't happen in other states. If your not used to that, it may cost you.

On the line of tax deductions:
Make sure you keep your food receipts as well if you got out to eat. This isn't deductible at 100% but every little bit helps. As far as gas, if that is the rental car, I think it is tax deductible. If you are driving there, then either write of your mileage or gas. If you are flying, don't forget the airfare.

chef 2 four ... the tax rate is different in each county? i always charge 7 whether they live in savannah or near me at ft. stewart ... how do you find that out? and by the way wehre do you live in georgia?

abrahamlaur said:
chef 2 four ... the tax rate is different in each county? i always charge 7 whether they live in savannah or near me at ft. stewart ... how do you find that out? and by the way wehre do you live in georgia?
There is a tax lookup on consultant's corner, where you can look up tax rates. If you're using P3, it will automatically update tax rates for ZIP codes within 100 miles of your home.

chef_kimmo said:
Also, in Texas there is a tax on the shipping which doesn't happen in other states. If your not used to that, it may cost you.
Shipping is taxed in a lot of states. If you're unsure about your state, check the list on the OOF on CC.

chefann said:
....Shipping is taxed in a lot of states. If you're unsure about your state, check the list on the OOF on CC.
Yep, it's taxed here in GA too - people get upset sometimes like it's a PC thing too! I just tell them to thank our govt for that one, that we're just abiding by the law :D One thing that is a little mindboggling to me though is that when someone purchases only pantry/food items, which are not taxed then the s/h isn't taxed.....I think that's strange, either it is taxed or it isn't. But, if they order food/pantry and other catalog items, then the s/h is taxed.....

jsnow said:
I am going to texas in august. If I hold a show, or 2, can I write off the cost of my rental car, gas, and hotel??

Jessica

Hey! I'm in TEXAS what part are you going to be in? Maybe we could meet :):D

Related to Am I Understanding Right....about Taxes

What is the purpose of understanding taxes?

The purpose of understanding taxes is to be able to accurately calculate and pay the amount of taxes owed to the government. It also allows individuals to take advantage of any tax deductions or credits they may be eligible for, reducing their tax burden.

What are the types of taxes that individuals pay?

Individuals typically pay income tax, sales tax, property tax, and sometimes excise tax. Income tax is based on an individual's earnings, while sales tax is a percentage added to the cost of goods and services. Property tax is based on the value of a person's property, and excise tax is a tax on certain goods or activities, such as alcohol or gambling.

How do I know if I am understanding taxes correctly?

You can check your understanding of taxes by staying updated on tax laws and regulations, consulting with a tax professional, and using reliable resources such as the IRS website. It is also important to keep track of your financial records and accurately report your income and expenses on your tax returns.

What happens if I don't pay my taxes?

If you do not pay your taxes, you may face penalties and interest charges, and the government may take legal action to collect the owed taxes. This can include wage garnishment, bank account levies, and even liens on your property. It is important to pay your taxes on time to avoid these consequences.

What should I do if I am having trouble understanding taxes?

If you are having trouble understanding taxes, it is best to seek help from a tax professional or attend a tax education course. You can also reach out to the IRS for assistance or clarification on any tax-related questions you may have. It is important to have a clear understanding of taxes to avoid mistakes and ensure compliance with tax laws.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• E R
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
ShellBeach
  • cookingwithdot
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
mrshamel3808
  • kam