• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Am I the Only One Still on Dial-Up? Vent Warning!!

In summary, friends and family continue to send large files to Paulette via email despite her repeated requests not to. This is a huge waste of bandwidth and time for both Paulette and the sender. She suggests using webmail.com to reply to such messages instead.
etteluap70PC
Gold Member
Ok so I am still on dial up. DSL and cable are not an option. (if I lived a mile down the road I would not be posting this right now but I digress....) My hubby (and I) do not want to pay for satelite and with our surrounding trees would not be a great option anyhow.

Sooooo.. my issue is why do friends and family (obviously on highspeed) continue to send me huge files via email! It is almost always some stupid forward with silly pictures that I could not care less about! I have begged repeatedly for them not to send them to me!

As I type my email is receiving some stupid file that is a whopping 18MB!! It is going to take me over an hour to download this sucker!!!! all the while making the other useful stuff I am trying to do take me 3times as long and that's if it doesn't lock up my system entirely!!!!

Arggggg.................

My street was one of the last in my area to get cable and DSL as well. I hated it. Should be used to it by now, we were also the last to get sewer lines, etc. At least your used to it. I'm on cable and just want to throw my computer across the room on the rare occasion I am somewhere that has dial up. Once you start using it you can't go back! Does everyone know you are on dial up? I would maybe send a reminder email reminding them. Or, just delete their emails.

Paulette, can you get email through the server without downloading it? If so, you can reply to the notes that have very large sizes and are obviously a forward (i.e. with "FW" in the subject), asking the sender to please not send them to you. And it wouldn't tie up your email program.

I can not Ann. I have very cheep internet so not a ton of options.

I have asked F&F repeatedly (a few people inparticular) to NOT send me this stuff. They will do OK for a while then I'll get something and I will remind them and I get the opps sorry forgot you are still in the dark ages.... Arggggg!

Depending on who this one is from I may get nasty and just block all their mail from now on.

I'd sign into webmail and delete the emails before downloading my emails to my computer through my email program. That's what I use to do when I was on dialup.

I'm on dial up too. I refuse to pay $40 a month for DSL which is my only other option where I live. I have never had any problems with dial up being overly too slow. Everyone is always surprise when I tell them we have never even had cable or dish for TV. We get 6 local channels, and that is good enough for me. Although sometimes I really would like to see cooking shows & some of the home shows. I just have a hard time paying for these extra things that I feel we don't need.

PCJen said:
I'm on dial up too. I refuse to pay $40 a month for DSL which is my only other option where I live. I have never had any problems with dial up being overly too slow. Everyone is always surprise when I tell them we have never even had cable or dish for TV. We get 6 local channels, and that is good enough for me. Although sometimes I really would like to see cooking shows & some of the home shows. I just have a hard time paying for these extra things that I feel we don't need.

Yayy Jen... thanks for letting me know my family is not the only ones that feel that way! We wont get dish for TV either. We allready wast too much time in front of it. If we had cable we would be zombies. Not to mention I do not like alot of the kids programming that is out there. I do miss food network and a few others like the history channel and stuff like that.

Try webmail.com, seriously.FWIW I blocked an extended family member who kept sending me junk. Had asked, then warned her repeatedly to not send that type of message, I was not interested, and ESPECIALLY don't send it to my business account. Took her off of block, she started sending cr*apola again. So I reported her to [email protected]. She now is sending things to my alternate 'social' email. Just reported her again this morning.Pain in the neck...and very inconsiderate.

etteluap70PC said:
Yayy Jen... thanks for letting me know my family is not the only ones that feel that way! We wont get dish for TV either. We allready wast too much time in front of it. If we had cable we would be zombies. Not to mention I do not like alot of the kids programming that is out there. I do miss food network and a few others like the history channel and stuff like that.

The nice thing about not having Dish is the kids aren't wanting to sit and watch cartoons all the time. I agree with you about the kids programming. The only time my kids watch TV is a bit after school (PBS channel) and a little on Sat. morning when cartoons are on (and I select what they may watch, they know too what is OK now.) Besides even when you have Dish you get a lot of repeat programs. My mom finally broke down and got Dish and is always complaining about that.

We've got dial-up as well. We live in the middle of nowhere. Cable doesn't exist. We're too cheap for satellite. We have an antenna for television reception. I've had to email a few people about this issue. One is a former host. I've just started deleting anything from her that is a forward. Problem solved.

We are on dial-up too. We could go to DSL with Bellsouth but there is suppose to be a new company starting WiFi in our area that will be half the price of Bellsouth, so, we are holding out waiting on them. They are federal grant funded and are a Non-profit organization. I am about tired of waiting on them though!:mad:

1. How does dial-up internet differ from other types of internet?

Dial-up internet is a type of internet connection that uses a phone line to connect to the internet. It is much slower than other types of internet such as DSL or cable, and it also ties up your phone line while in use.

2. Is dial-up internet still available?

Yes, dial-up internet is still available in some areas, but it is becoming less common as other types of internet become more widely available.

3. What are the advantages of using dial-up internet?

The main advantage of using dial-up internet is that it is typically cheaper than other types of internet. It also does not require any additional equipment or installation, as it uses your existing phone line.

4. What are the disadvantages of using dial-up internet?

The biggest disadvantage of dial-up internet is its slow speed. This can make it difficult to stream videos or download large files. It also ties up your phone line, so you cannot make or receive phone calls while using the internet.

5. Can I upgrade from dial-up internet to a faster type of internet?

Yes, if you are still on dial-up internet, it is highly recommended to upgrade to a faster type of internet such as DSL or cable. This will significantly improve your internet speed and allow you to use the internet more efficiently.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ginamkiely
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
dwyerkim
  • chefmeg
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
KellyTheChef
  • RMDave