• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Alternatives to Hairnets: Preventing Unwanted Hair in Food

In summary, keeping your hands away from your hair and wearing a hairnet can help prevent hair from getting into the food you make at a demo. The guest that had this happen said that she always changes her clothes after doing her hair for a show.
floccies
Have you ever had this happen? How do you prevent it?

I know that "wear a hairnet" is the obvious answer -- but I was wondering if there were other alternatives that some of you were doing.

The guest that had this happen booked a catalog show -- and told me about it later over the phone.

I have pretty short hair now, and I spray the heck out of it for shows, so I don't worry about it too much.

But it used to be pretty long. And I would pull it back into a pony tail for all shows. It doesn't necessarily eliminate the problem, but it will cut back on the chance of it happening.

Keeping your hands away from your hair will help, too, as will running a lint roller over your clothes before the demo to grab any that may have "escaped" earlier in the day.

I wear my hair back at all shows and try not to touch it.

I have a lot of hair and it sheds, so I hope it never ends up in the food I make! :eek:

I wear my hair up in a clip during shows. I used to wear it down when I first started and then my Director said something to me and I was like "Duh - can't believbe that never occurred to me - LOL"

I always try and wear my hair in a ponytail as well. ;)

I keep my hair pulled back in a ponytail when I'm at a show, and when I'm preparing for one. I am really hyper-sensitive to it, and hope it never happens to me!

I put my hair up then I change my shirt before each show. That way any I've brushed are on the 1st shirt.

I always get nervous about hair in food, and have a hard time eating the dips and snacks the hosts lay out (esp. if they have pets because pet hair floats so easily). Like the cat hair I got in my dip this past weekend BLAH!

amcclanaghan said:
I always get nervous about hair in food, and have a hard time eating the dips and snacks the hosts lay out (esp. if they have pets because pet hair floats so easily). Like the cat hair I got in my dip this past weekend BLAH!
And then you end up doing the "hair face" trying to get it unstuck from your tongue! Been there, done that! I'm also usually more worried about pet hair than mine.

I also always pull my hair back for my shows. I also change my clothes after I do my hair for the show. Luckily I haven't had hair in the food so far! How gross!

Gosh, yes. The pet hair thing is always on my mind. I can't leave the house without feeling like it's "Take Your Pet To Work" Day! I always have a lint roller with me, just in case.

Where's KG for this thread? I'm sure he'd have an awesome comment!

Yeah, I pull my hair back, too. I shed almost as badly as my hairy little beast, Holly the Husky. Her hair is EVERYWHERE. I catch it every now and then floating around my stuff and just try to discreetly gt rid of it. I haven't had any complaints, but you just never know...

That's yet another reason I'm glad I have birds. They shed all the time, too, but it's easier to see and catch the little feathers and down bits. :)

(There's a video of Beaker, our African Grey, talking up a storm at http://www.dannann.net/eriamjh/beaker/index.html. It's a few years old, but still cute.)

sorry... end of hijack. :)

Last edited:
I wear my hair back at a show, but I have it up and out of my face before I even walk out of my house that way I dont' have to fuss with it at a show.....

chefann said:
(There's a video of Beaker, our African Grey, talking up a storm at http://www.dannann.net/eriamjh/beaker/index.html. It's a few years old, but still cute.)

sorry... end of hijack. :)

Okay, not quite the end of the hijack. I love the movie of Beaker! My favorite part was when she said "superbird". I wonder if I hear your voice when I'm listening to some of her phrases. Thanks for sharing this with us. . .it made me smile.

chefjeanine said:
Okay, not quite the end of the hijack. I love the movie of Beaker! My favorite part was when she said "superbird". I wonder if I hear your voice when I'm listening to some of her phrases. Thanks for sharing this with us. . .it made me smile.
Yeah- Peek-a-boo and Superbird sound like me. When she says "Hello?" questioningly (like answering the phone), that also sounds like me. One of the funny combinations of things she says is "I gotta go to work." Then we ask her, "What do you do at work, Beaker?" "Superbird!" She also laughs like me.

Related to Alternatives to Hairnets: Preventing Unwanted Hair in Food

1. What is the recommended alternative to hairnets for preventing unwanted hair in food?

The recommended alternative to hairnets is the use of disposable hair caps or headbands. These are made of lightweight and breathable material that can effectively cover the hair and prevent any strands from falling into the food.

2. Can headscarves or bandanas be used as an alternative to hairnets?

No, headscarves and bandanas are not considered suitable alternatives to hairnets as they do not provide enough coverage and can easily come off while working in the kitchen. Disposable hair caps or headbands are the best option for preventing unwanted hair in food.

3. Are there any other options besides disposable hair caps?

Yes, there are a few other options that can be used as alternatives to hairnets. These include hair ties, hair clips, and hairnets made of washable and reusable material. However, these may not be as effective as disposable hair caps in preventing hair from falling into the food.

4. Can employees with short hair skip wearing a hairnet or alternative?

No, it is recommended for all employees to wear a hairnet or an alternative regardless of the length of their hair. Short hair can still fall into the food and potentially contaminate it.

5. How often should hairnets or alternatives be changed during a shift?

Hairnets or alternatives should be changed whenever they become visibly soiled, wet, or after any activity that may cause them to become loose or dislodged. It is recommended to change them at least once every four hours to maintain hygiene and food safety standards.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cochef
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
AnaCash
  • muffetts
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • cochef