• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Achieving Great Things: My Fire Dept. Lieutenant Promotion & HAM Radio Success

In summary, the speaker announced their recent promotion to Lieutenant on the Fire Department and their success in passing the Technician, General, and Extra Amateur Radio Test. They also shared their accomplishments at a Fall Kick-off Meeting and their admiration for the volunteer ham operators who provide communication during emergencies. The speaker also discussed the origins of the term "ham radio" and invited others to try the test for fun. Finally, they mentioned their healing foot and unexpected bruises.
janetupnorth
Gold Member
So a few weeks ago I announced that I made Lieutenant on our Fire Department.

Well, yesterday I was officially in the FCC database having taken my Technician, General and Extra Amateur Radio Test (HAM) last week. I passed the Technician, General and missed the Extra by 1 question (that is advanced electronics and radio theory which I hadn't attempted to study) - the guys on the radio by us were impressed. :thumbup:

Today at my Fall Kick-off Meeting, I won 10 catalogs, 2 host packets and got a ribbon for having a $1760 month in August.

It was a good day! :D I also had a "someday maybe" recruit lead with me. We talked a little and will be talking more before she attends ANOTHER show with me Saturday.

Now off to make some salsa, do some laundry and dishes and get ready for a kids fair for next Saturday...ooh reminds me, I need to post a thread for ideas on that...

Janet you are a busy woman!

General and Extra Amateur Radio Test (HAM)

I have to ask, why is it HAM?? Shouldn't it be GEAR?

Just wondering

TammyStar said:

Just wondering

No, those are the three levels:
1. Technician
2. General
3. Extra

Here is some history for you:
Amateur radio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Etymology of ham radio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Before I joined these guys (and women), I had GREAT respect for their services, and still do when I'm doing other things.

When those tornados and hurricanes hit you and ALL the power is out, do you really think people are picking up phones or even cell phones to call? (Even cell phones go out). Nope, most of the communications to help you are done by VOLUNTEER ham operators. An amateur radio operator (termed amateur definitely NOT by skill level, but because they cannot make money) cannot accept compensation so these men and women by their equipment and serve you for FREE.

TammyStar said:

Just wondering

Ah, if you only knew... ;)

You are a busy person?????

If anyone is curious what a test is like, go here:
http://www.qrz.com/p/testing.plChoose start, then Technician (lowest level) and give it a shot!

Hey, Janet, you rock! Congratulations!

janetupnorth said:
If anyone is curious what a test is like, go here:
http://www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl

Choose start, then Technician (lowest level) and give it a shot!

Congrat Janet! You ROCK! :D

Now, I did the test for fun....didn't do so well....took me 9 minutes (mind you about half of those I had a 4 yo sitting on my lap! hehe) and had an accuracy rate of 37.1%. Oh, and I did the technician exam.

It was fun....... :)

neat---How is your foot?

MORFIA said:
neat---

How is your foot?

The toe is almost better, the foot part is a nice shade of purple/brown (healing well). A little sensitive but getting there...not bad for 6 days!

I noticed a few other bruises that I have NO idea where they came from. :eek:
I'm suddenly bruising easier than normal (but healing fast so that is good)...need to check if I'm lacking some vitamins in my diet!!!!

PChefPEI said:
Congrat Janet! You ROCK! :D

Now, I did the test for fun....didn't do so well....took me 9 minutes (mind you about half of those I had a 4 yo sitting on my lap! hehe) and had an accuracy rate of 37.1%. Oh, and I did the technician exam.

It was fun....... :)

Hey, that is a start! Good job!

What inspired you to pursue a career in the fire department and become a lieutenant?

I have always been drawn to careers that involve helping others and serving my community. Growing up, I was exposed to the fire department through my dad, who was a volunteer firefighter. I was inspired by the bravery, camaraderie, and sense of purpose that came with the job. Additionally, I have always been interested in emergency services and the adrenaline rush that comes with responding to calls. Becoming a lieutenant was a natural progression for me as I wanted to take on more leadership roles and make a greater impact in my department.

How did you prepare for your lieutenant promotion exam and what advice do you have for others?

I prepared for my lieutenant promotion exam by studying the department's policies and procedures, practicing scenarios with my colleagues, and attending leadership training courses. My advice for others is to start studying early and consistently, ask for guidance and support from experienced colleagues, and don't be afraid to take on leadership roles and gain experience before applying for a promotion.

What has been the most challenging part of being a lieutenant in the fire department?

The most challenging part of being a lieutenant is finding the balance between being a leader and a team member. As a lieutenant, I have to make tough decisions and give orders, but I also have to be approachable and supportive to my team. It's a delicate balance, but with good communication and mutual respect, it can be achieved.

How has your HAM radio hobby helped you in your career as a fire department lieutenant?

My HAM radio hobby has been a valuable asset in my career as a fire department lieutenant. It has improved my communication skills, as well as my ability to think quickly and make decisions under pressure. It has also given me a deeper understanding of emergency communications, which is crucial in my line of work. Additionally, being part of the HAM radio community has allowed me to network and learn from other professionals in the emergency services field.

What do you consider to be your greatest achievement in your career as a fire department lieutenant and in HAM radio?

My greatest achievement in my career as a fire department lieutenant is being able to make a positive difference in my department and community. Whether it's through mentoring new firefighters, implementing new training programs, or responding to emergency calls, I am proud to have played a role in keeping my community safe. In terms of HAM radio, my greatest achievement is being able to use my skills and equipment to assist in disaster relief efforts and provide emergency communications in times of need.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• janetupnorth
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
Back