• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

3Rd Car, 4Th Car Accident... All in 6 Months

In summary, Has anyone dealt with a broken sternum before? Tina's husband was hit from behind and the truck he was driving was totaled. He had surgery to put a metal plate in his sternum and has been dealing with pain and difficulty driving since.
genburk
Silver Member
Has anyone dealt with a broken sternum before?

My husband is a truck driver and was hit AGAIN and broke his sternum. They are saying he will not drive a car for about 3 weeks, and not be back to work for at least 3 months. I guess we will hear more today.

Some history...

About a year ago, my husband bought a pick-up (damaged front end) and fixed it up. Drove it two weeks and hit a deer. Not bad for him, but damaged the truck where he had just fixed it. Drove it anyway, till August.

In August bought a Buick and was hit from behind (as he was turning into a parking lot) on the driver's side door. Couldn't open door, so instead of sliding across the seat to get out, starting driving the pick-up again.

About 3-4 weeks after the August accident, he hit a big buck and totaled the truck, had it towed 50 miles to the house... started sliding across the buick's seat to drive it.

In late November the Buick got hit from behind from Police officer as my husband was pulling into our driveway. Totaled that car..but still drivable.. off work a week.

Drove the Buick until late December, just before Christmas got a suzuki.

2008 Brand New year, new luck right? wrong... worse luck....

Drove Suzuki from late December until January 15th. Totaled that car when someone came across the center line when they slid on ice. 2" Gash in forhead to skull (from eyelid to above brow), broken sternum, can't move leg but hip not broken. He was wearing a seatbelt, but it didn't lock until after he hit the steering wheel with his face and chest.

On the internet I am hearing about 6 months to heal the sternum

All they said we can use is ice and rest. I hope it doesn't take him six months to get better. Anyone have experience with this....

Oh and by the way, I am almost 3 months pregnant, but lost the last two in two years, so not sure how that is going to go. Got my first visit next week, so maybe good news on that, but just a waiting game for now.....

Ouch! Sternums do heal, they are often broken when doing CPR. It is like the rib cage itself though, not much you can do except ice and rest and hope the body heals.I hope he starts to have better luck with vehicles. I'd be a VERY defensive driver!!!!

Tina I havent "broken" my sternum but I did have open heart surgery I couldnt drive for 6 weeks it was horrible and very painful I am sorry to hear about your husband. Also good luck with your pregnancy and take care of yourself.

OH my! I think I would never get in a car again!I hope your DH feels better soon. And good luck on your pregnancy {{{{{{sticky vibes}}}}}} for you!

Thanks... I am hoping they will do more test and find out more today. He is in a lot of pain. Has a cold with lots of coughing and apparently this injury causes you to cough, so he can't rest yet.

Tina,

Wishing good thoughts with your pregnancy and quick healing for your hubby! And much better luck with him as far as cars go as well:)

OMG! I'm so sorry. I bet a broken sternum is painful. Poor guy.

When you DH coughs have him gently place a pillow on his chest and hold it there while he coughs it helps take some pressure off not much but some.

I am so sorry. Prayers being sent your way. :angel: :(

Wow. I pray that he heals quickly, has MUCH better luck in vehicles, and that you have a smooth, safe, and healthy pregnancy!

That's a lot to be dealing with!

Oh, Tina, you poor thing! I'll keep you, your husband, and your sweet little blessing in my prayers.

Oh my. I'm sure you feel like the song, "If it weren't for bad luck I 'd have no luck at all." Okay maybe you are too young to remember that song from HeeHaw (and I am showing my age)!

On a serious note, I am so sorry you have had to go through this, but very thankful your husband is going to eventually be okay.

I have no idea how long it will take him to heal, but even if they say there is nothing they can do for it, see the Dr. a few times. I broke my tailbone walking into work 13 years ago. I called the Dr. and told them I thought I broke it, did an accident report, etc. My Dr.'s office told me there was nothing they could do for it and I might have pain for 6 months. I did have pain for a very long time, which eventually went away; however, two years later the pain returned. I went to several Dr.'s and found out it was my tailbone. An ortho. Dr. did an x-ray and it was still broken! Since I was hurt at work and filed a report I attempted to call to make a claim, but I only had two years to make a claim. If I had gone to the Dr. and had a claim I would have been okay, but I didn't. I had only called them on the phone. Lesson learned for me.

My daughter and I were in an accident two years ago when a man pulled out in front of us. Needless to say we both went to the Dr. just to report where our pain was. I had a bruise across my chest where the seatbelt was.

Best of luck to both of you. I will pray you and your bab. Please post a picture for us in 6 months.

God bless

Sending prayers your way, Tina! Take care of yourself and try not to stress too much. Everything will be fine with all the prayers. :)

Rhonda, I broke mine when I was 12 and it took way more than 6 months to heal. It took years before I could sit on a hard seat. School was a nightmare because the teachers didn't understand why I had to get up and move around so much. Now, I don't have as much cushion back there as I did then and have noticed when it finally did heal, it points the wrong way so it hurts to sit on anything hard again. I feel like I have a tail. lol

Prayers and hugs -- I am sure it will be a long journey. Good luck with your Dr. appt!!

Well, a quick update... He was released from the hospital on Thursday and his arm and leg started to swell on Sunday... so we rushed to the emergency room to see if he had a blod clot. They couldn't do all the testing on Sunday, so I had to cancel my OB appt. and take him to his on Monday. He didn't have a blod clot, but they wouldn't let me come back or help him and he can't move very well, then the tech ran his swollen foot into a metal cart and split his toes. VERY PAINFUL for him.

I was able to reschedule for Friday to see if this pregnancy was viable and wouldn't you know it his follow-up was an hour after mine, and about 1 1/2 hours travel time apart. His Dad took him to the follow-up at which the lady stood and tapped her foot, because it took longer than normal to get in position all by himself and she wouldn't help him. His sternum and ribs are broken and they were trying to take x-rays to see if he broke his tailbone as well. She made him lay on the broken ribs and then yelled at him for moving. She wouldn't let him lay on the left "because his head was already at one end of the table". Not sure why she couldn't move the table. He is more sore now than he has been for a few days before the x-rays.

I did find out however, that we have a heartbeat and we were able to get a sonagram, and so far everything looks for the pregnancy. That was the highlight of our week so far. :angel:

My due date is August 2nd. But my husband will be off work till at least April (probably longer) and then I will have 6 weeks off in August so we will have a tough year...... But I believe that God won't give us more than we can take, so we will be alright.

Oh my gosh! Poor guy! I think after all that pain, I'd have a hit list for when I was recovered. There's no excuse for that. Especially the impatience during the xrays. Giving him a little help wouldn't have hurt her. One time when I had them, I almost had the xray tech in tears after she tried that mean routine. lol I wasn't in any mood to be pushed and pulled around. What part of severe pain don't they get??? Makes you wonder how they expect someone to recover when they're doing more damage than the accident. Btw, make sure the insurance does all it's supposed to. This may include home health for him and that'll take some of the burden off you. Any little bit helps.

That's wonderful news about the baby! :) You're right, God will see you through. Just let him handle it and you concentrate on taking care of hubby and growing that beautiful baby!

I'm sorry your DH is hurting, but I'm thrilled for your good news. You'll continue to be in my prayers.

You will not believe this...... My husband was in yet another accident...... He wrecked his semi and will probably lose his job because of it. He did go back to work in April to keep from losing his job against the doctor's suggestion. And that has been going pretty well although is was hard for him to sit in the truck for 10-12 hours a day. But just on Friday... August 29th he swerved to keep from hitting a truck and the trailer hit a guard rail and his tractor went down I-75 on the passenger door. Broken collar bone and 4 stitches in the back of his head. Much better than the last accident but now they are not sure if he has a job to go to..... Oh and by the way, we had the baby... Little boy (William) 4 weeks ago (August 4th). What a year......... Hopefully have more time for the internet soon and get back in touch with everyone. Have a great September....
And katie and Rae,..... Are you guys meeting this year in Cincinnati?

Oh, Tina, congratulations on little William, but I'm so sorry about your hustand's accident. I'll be praying for all of you.

OH MY WORD!!!! I was going to say that I had your hubby beat...I was in 6 accidents in 6 months, one per month. But now I am just going to say you are in my prayers!!!

Congrats on the baby and I am keeping my fingers crossed about your hubby's job!!

genburk said:
Thanks... I am hoping they will do more test and find out more today. He is in a lot of pain. Has a cold with lots of coughing and apparently this injury causes you to cough, so he can't rest yet.

Can they give him a coughing medicine with Codeine to help with the pain and the cough? Poor fella!

Prayers for a blessed pregnancy!!!!

Thanks guys. I miss talking to you all, but hopefully will get back online soon. Hope to see you again Rae sometime soon. Gotta go.

1. What steps should I take after getting into a third or fourth car accident in a short period of time?

If you have been involved in multiple car accidents within a span of six months, the first step is to seek medical attention for any injuries. It is also important to report the accidents to your insurance company and gather all necessary documentation, such as police reports and witness statements. It may also be helpful to consult with a lawyer to understand your rights and options.

2. Will my insurance rates increase after multiple car accidents?

It is possible for your insurance rates to increase after being involved in multiple car accidents. This can depend on the severity of the accidents, who was at fault, and your insurance provider's policies. It is important to review your insurance coverage and speak with your insurance provider to understand the potential impact on your rates.

3. Can I still drive with a suspended license after multiple car accidents?

No, it is not legal to drive with a suspended license. If your license has been suspended due to multiple car accidents, you will need to follow the necessary steps to have it reinstated before driving again. Driving with a suspended license can result in further penalties and legal consequences.

4. How can I prevent future car accidents?

To prevent future car accidents, it is important to practice safe driving habits, such as following traffic laws, avoiding distractions while driving, and maintaining your vehicle. It may also be helpful to attend defensive driving courses or consult with a professional driving instructor for tips and techniques.

5. Can I still file a claim for damages if I was at fault for the accidents?

Yes, you may still be able to file a claim for damages even if you were at fault for the accidents. However, the amount of compensation you receive may be reduced if you were partially or fully at fault. It is important to consult with a lawyer to understand your rights and options for seeking compensation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• nikked
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
nikked
  • quiverfull7
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ihavethetools
Replies