• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

2011 Countdown to National Conference

or both...depending on the situation.This will be my 3rd year going to conference and I get sooooooooooo excited when I see Rae's countdown. For everyone - please take the time to read her posts as the information is priceless! :DThank you, Linda.Noora, I'll miss your smiling face.
Back to the tipping topic - some people you are traveling with may be cheap, but mostly people are just not aware that they should tip certain people or how much. Set an example and don't hide it from others in your group. Most will appreciate the insight on how much and when to tip and the cheapos will be embarrassed into tipping. The most common one that people seem to be unsure of is the guys who handle the baggage storage at the hotel. Even I get confused since the hotel posts a sign that they're charging $1/bag, which is what I would normally tip. Throw in an extra buck or two. It's not going to break your bank.

Those guys who deal with all our luggage on the first and last days are wonderful! They're always courteous and friendly and make you feel like you're not being a pain in the behind when you're bugging them to find your suitcase.

dannyzmom said:
Ck Hall shared this article this morning and I think it's fabulous - it is about how to pack for a long trip yet only pack in one carry on bag: 10 Days in a Carry-On - Slide Show - NYTimes.com

Yup, I posted that in here a few days back! It's amazing, and I'm really going to give it a try - we're driving, but it doesn't hurt to have extra room!

That is just what I needed :) I was just getting ready to ask if anyone just uses a carry-on. I, for one, am SUPER CHEAP and really hate that i have to pay to check a bag... so i am going to pack super light and then go from there :) My question is because I have only flown 2 times in my life and they were a long time ago- can you pack snacks in a carryon? They are cheaper at home to buy so I was just wondering :) Thanks!!!

This should answer questions about what you can/cannot bring on the planes, how to pack the things you CAN (ie- toiletries)...etc.http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/index.shtmThis will be my first time flying with my family after the body-scans and pat-downs have started. My DH flew two weeks ago and got groped AND Scanned (by a woman no less). Yippee. I just hope, they don't touch my kids. :grumpy:

I am going to do just carry on, dont have to worry about anything getting lost

I only have one suitcase in TX (the rest are still in Japan) so I have no choice but to go big ... the one big one I brought for me & the kids during the evac! LOL

Bobbi: Where are you flying out of? At most of the airports you can see which line has the full body scan machine .. you can pick a line without one and as long as you dont dress in a way that makes you look like you would be hiding stuff they wont ask you to switch and thus no scan and no pat down. I generally wear my PC yoga pants and a t-shirt and have not had an issue. I have recently flown Detroit to Chicago and Detroit to Charlotte.

angel7581 said:
Bobbi: Where are you flying out of? At most of the airports you can see which line has the full body scan machine .. you can pick a line without one and as long as you dont dress in a way that makes you look like you would be hiding stuff they wont ask you to switch and thus no scan and no pat down. I generally wear my PC yoga pants and a t-shirt and have not had an issue. I have recently flown Detroit to Chicago and Detroit to Charlotte.

RDU (Raleigh-Durham). I think DH said that when he flew a few weeks ago, they had no choice, and they STILL got the pat-down! I don't care if they want to see my chubby body on the screen....poor screener! (As long as it isn't my fellow consultant's hubby! I 'll have to email her and ask if he works those or not! He works early AM...Yikes. that would be awkward). But I just don't want anyone touching me, but especially my kids. I know it's not THAT way, but still...come on. Really?! Anyway, don't mean to start a debate, just being a momma-bear. ;)

Thanks for the advice on the clothes. I'll definitely try that.

mountainmama74 said:
Yup, I posted that in here a few days back! It's amazing, and I'm really going to give it a try - we're driving, but it doesn't hurt to have extra room!
And Thank You for this! I posted to my FB wall and some had not seen it yet!! MUAH! CK

Today is June 22. There are only 15 days left until the start of National Conference!Take just a moment or two to think about your goal for yourself at NC. What do you hope to get out of it? Fun is fun, and I’m looking forward to lots of fun and foolishness. It’s important to remember, though, that the real purpose of NC is to learn from the workshops and from each other. Be prepared to meet your NC goals. Think about what you want to learn. Here’s an exercise that some coaches use. Look around the room you're in. Now close your eyes and think of everything you saw that was green. Okay, now look around and notice everything that’s green. I’d just about guarantee that you noticed more green things when you were looking for them. Knowing what you hope to learn helps you to notice it when it’s presented.I plan to write down a few questions for each workshop. I’ll look these over before the workshop starts so I’ll remember what I hope to learn. It will also help when they ask for questions at the end of the workshop, in case one of mine is still unanswered. Write down some additional questions you have, and go over them a time or two so you’re ready to ask them of the people who’ve achieved the level to which you’re aspiring. Think about what you do well and what changes you’ve made in the last year that have helped you. This will help you to have an answer ready when someone turns to you for advice. Brand new and don’t feel like you have any advice to offer? Think about one or two things you wish someone had told you when you signed up. This is great info for people who are recruiting.

Last edited:
GREAT one Rae!!!

I haven't seen the full body scan machines yet. I went through a "blow dryer" since returning from Japan & had to ask the tech what it did. He said that the air forces any particles off your body & clothing & then sucks it into a vacuum at the bottom for analysis. He said it's amazing for detecting small particles of chemical & biological weapons. Of course, I was super impressed! :p (Anything anti-terrorism is fascinating to me. LOL)

That's kind of cool, Sheila.

Today is June 23. There are only 14 days until the start of National Conference!

Two weeks!

Arriving early or staying an extra day? Talk to your cluster or traveling buddies about any touristy things you want to do—shop, see a play, visit a museum, etc. Check online for special savings, coupons, and even ideas.

I'm going to try and see the Fireworks on the Navy Pier either Wednesday or Saturday night at 9:30. I'm not leaving till Sunday morning.

Today is June 24. There are only 13 days until the start of National Conference!

Be sure to wear comfy shoes when you travel to and from NC. Flying? In many places ALL footwear must be removed for x-ray screening. Shoes that slip off and on easily will save time and frustration. Well, at least some of the frustration.Bonus tip: Merrill will be there. Yes, they’ll have clothes, but they’ll also have oodles of other products. Is there something you want to check on? Something you’re running low on? That Merrill room can get crowded and chaotic. Make a list. You might even consider going to their website. Write down anything that piques your interest. At NC you can check those things out to see if you want to buy them.

Sheila said:
I haven't seen the full body scan machines yet. I went through a "blow dryer" since returning from Japan & had to ask the tech what it did. He said that the air forces any particles off your body & clothing & then sucks it into a vacuum at the bottom for analysis. He said it's amazing for detecting small particles of chemical & biological weapons. Of course, I was super impressed! :p (Anything anti-terrorism is fascinating to me. LOL)

They did this when we went to visit the CN Tower. We were curious what the heck it actually was - very space age looking. A group of us got pulled off to the side because the line was so long and they just did a manual test of our hands, cell phones, etc. DH asked the guy and that's exactly what he said.

Today is June 25. There are only 12 days until the start of National Conference!

Do you snore? I do sometimes. Talk to your roommates about what to do if someone’s snoring is disturbing you. I usually tell my roommates that if I’m snoring too loud they are welcome to shake me, wake me, turn me over, suffocate me with a pillow, whatever it takes.

My husband says the same thing. I have come very, very close a few times to using the pillow to smother him. I would never do that to you, Rae!

raebates said:
Today is June 24. There are only 13 days until the start of National Conference!

Be sure to wear comfy shoes when you travel to and from NC. Flying? In many places ALL footwear must be removed for x-ray screening. Shoes that slip off and on easily will save time and frustration. Well, at least some of the frustration.

I am wearing flip flops for the flight. When on the plane, I have a pair of socks I put on my feet to keep them warm and then pop them off when we are disembarking!

Today is June 26. There are only 11 days left until the start of National Conference!

You will have an opportunity to meet and learn from lots of people at NC. DO NOT spend all of your time with your clustermates. You already know a lot of what they have to tell you. I realize that most people are a little more reserved than I. (Everyone who has ever met me has just fallen off their chairs, laughing at that understatement.) Using the buddy system is fine. But, make sure that you’re surrounded by people you don’t know. Engage them in conversation. Go armed with the questions you want the answers to. (What is your best advice for getting bookings? If you were to name the most important thing you do in order to get recruits, what would it be? What are you hoping to learn at NC? What are the three things you’re anxious to try when you get home?) Who knows, you just might make a new friend.

And, as much as I’m looking forward to meeting up with CS friends, that sort of goes for Cheffers, too. After all, we do share a lot here. There’s been talk of trying to sit together for breakfasts. That’s a great idea. Just make sure you aren’t surrounded by Cheffers for lunch and dinner, too.

Thanks for the laugh Rae. :) I love your posts .. they are a great way to start my day.

I cant go to conference. My mom fell and broke her arm - had surgery now in rehab. She cant drive. I was to room with someone at Sheraton. Looking for someone to replace me. Please send me direct [email protected]. There is only 1 person in the room right now

newatthis said:
I cant go to conference. My mom fell and broke her arm - had surgery now in rehab. She cant drive. I was to room with someone at Sheraton. Looking for someone to replace me. Please send me direct [email protected]. There is only 1 person in the room right now
You may want to post a separate thread....to be noticed by someone looking for a room, etc...vs lost in the shuffle of this thread.
make sure that you’re surrounded by people you don’t know. Engage them in conversation. Go armed with the questions you want the answers to.
Just don't ask ME questions....My business is barely active month-to-month. I can answer the technical things (like where to find something on CC, etc), but when it comes to bookings, recruiting, Cust.Care....I'm the WRONG person to ask. :D But if you happen to be sitting near me somewhere, and have some tips for a shy introvert (I know that shocks you!) who is scared to pick up the phone- even after 4 years, I'll take it! ;)

Just don't ask ME questions....My business is barely active month-to-month. I can answer the technical things (like where to find something on CC, etc), but when it comes to bookings, recruiting, Cust.Care....I'm the WRONG person to ask. :D But if you happen to be sitting near me somewhere, and have some tips for a shy introvert (I know that shocks you!) who is scared to pick up the phone- even after 4 years, I'll take it! ;)[/QUOTE]

You sound like me.

esavvymom said:
... But if you happen to be sitting near me somewhere, and have some tips for a shy introvert (I know that shocks you!) who is scared to pick up the phone- even after 4 years, I'll take it! ;)

My advice ... PICK UP THE PHONE! It won't bite. I promise. LOL

IS ANYONE AS EXCITED AS I AM?!!! Now that all my shows are done for June, my focus is conference and packing and planning. I am like a kid the week before Christmas! And I have a mega show on the 11th so I can't wait to apply all the fabulous things I learn at conference at that show! My head has been spinning with questions and anticipation of hearing great tips and advice from everyone. July 6th can't come soon enough!

YES!! Can't wait to get there & be surrounded by a bazillion people who LUV PC! Not to mention all the great info/tips and getting to see those folks we only get to see once a year. Come on July 6th!

I too am sooo excited. This will be my first ever conference and am looking forward to getting so much out of it and meeting new people with the same goal in mind!

esavvymom said:
You may want to post a separate thread....to be noticed by someone looking for a room, etc...vs lost in the shuffle of this thread.

Just don't ask ME questions....My business is barely active month-to-month. I can answer the technical things (like where to find something on CC, etc), but when it comes to bookings, recruiting, Cust.Care....I'm the WRONG person to ask. :D But if you happen to be sitting near me somewhere, and have some tips for a shy introvert (I know that shocks you!) who is scared to pick up the phone- even after 4 years, I'll take it! ;)

Chef Bobby said:

You sound like me.[/QUOTE]

You could always share one of the things you wish you'd known when you started if someone asks for advice.

Today is June 27. There are only 10 days left until the start of National Conference!

Driving? Make sure you check out your vehicle before you leave. Do this even if you’re only driving to the next town to catch a plane, train, or bus. The Furry Guy will be checking my oil, water, washer fluid, and tire pressure. Trust me; you don’t want to break down on the way, especially if it’s something that could have been prevented.

Bonus tip:
Chicago is on Central Daylight Time. If you’re traveling from another time zone, you might want to start adjusting your schedule now. This is especially true if you live in the mountain or pacific time zone. After all, people on Eastern Daylight Time will probably be sleeping in at NC. Those to the west will probably be getting up earlier than usual. Getting up a little earlier every few days can make the adjustment smoother.

raebates said:
You sound like me.

You could always share one of the things you wish you'd known when you started if someone asks for advice.[/QUOTE]

That's true Rae. Thanks! That would make a good thread. (I wish I would have known that...)

My first thought would be that I wish I would have known that I could work with a company for over five years and enjoy every minute of it.

Today is June 28. There are only 9 days left until the start of National Conference!

You might want to take address labels with you. Some speakers will have handouts or offer additional information. If they run low they generally ask for names and addresses. A sheet of address labels is easy to carry and use. You might even want to bring a few self-addressed envelopes. That way if you want someone to send something special to you, you can just write what you want them to send on the back of the envelope.

Here's an email I got from my director who has been to conference 16 times but is not going this year:

My suggestions for conference:
1. wear very comfortable shoes even if you have to stick fancy ones in your purse or tote to wear later. There is a lot of walking and if your feet hurt everything hurts.
2. Don't spit on people from Darla's box!
3. wear your make up to bed, then you won't have to put it on in the morning.
4. One good shower before you leave town should do it for the week.
5. Bring band aids, headache pills, tums, enough to share.
6. There is always a hugh line for the bathrooms, so adult diapers help
7. bring business cards to share

I'm thinking she's seen it all!:balloon:

pchockeymom said:
Here's an email I got from my director who has been to conference 16 times but is not going this year:

My suggestions for conference:
1. wear very comfortable shoes even if you have to stick fancy ones in your purse or tote to wear later. There is a lot of walking and if your feet hurt everything hurts.
2. Don't spit on people from Darla's box!
3. wear your make up to bed, then you won't have to put it on in the morning.
4. One good shower before you leave town should do it for the week.
5. Bring band aids, headache pills, tums, enough to share.
6. There is always a hugh line for the bathrooms, so adult diapers help
7. bring business cards to share

I'm thinking she's seen it all!:balloon:

Bwahaha! That's funny!

That's not funny--it's hysterical!Of course, those whose first year at NC was last year might be confused by #2. LOL!

Today is June 29. There are only 8 days left until the start of National Conference!

If possible, you might want to consider taking your own pillow along. I like my memory foam better than most hotel pillows. I sleep better, making me more wide awake and alert so I can absorb all those great ideas at NC! Of course, if taking a pillow switches you from carry-on only to checked baggage, don’t take it. Chances are good that your hotel will have very nice pillows.

Today is June 30. There are only 7 days left until the start of National Conference!

Only one week! Take some time while you’re at NC to simply enjoy the experience. You’ll be surrounded by wonderful PC people. You’ll be rubbing elbows with people who have reached the level of success you’re striving toward. You will never have that exact experience again (those exact people at exactly that place in their business). Be sure to take a few moments to just enjoy the moment.

:eek: <--- Does anyone else feel this way? Or is it just me because I leave on Saturday??

esavvymom said:
:eek: <--- Does anyone else feel this way? Or is it just me because I leave on Saturday??

Me, too...I am SO unprepared this year!

In my mind I am ready but my suitcase is still empty. I several things to get marked off my list before I leave for Conference. I will be going no matter how much I get marked off my list. Can't wait!!

I thought I was all together, then I did a Health & Wellness Fair last Saturday. That led to the owner of fitness facility wanting to do a "show in a box" for 5 days in a row while I'm at conference! Waa hoo except now I'm figuring out all the tools I need to provide him, have to do a "tutorial" with him on how to use and care for everything, and I have to get all the last minute details ready for my mega show on the 11th. AND, I need to go shopping (which I HATE) for clothes and shoes. Yeah, I'm starting to feel a bit frazzled.

You can do it!! :cheerleader:

Hey? Where did my little cheerleader go? Imagine a little happy cheerleader in the above post.

jbondr said:
In my mind I am ready but my suitcase is still empty. I several things to get marked off my list before I leave for Conference. I will be going no matter how much I get marked off my list. Can't wait!!

This is me! I know what I want to take though so that is half the battle. My husband gets home from Boston tonight .. then I can start packing.

jbondr said:
Hey? Where did my little cheerleader go? Imagine a little happy cheerleader in the above post.
:cheerleader:

I tried it too.. I guess it doesn't work!?!?

Brenda.the.chef said:
:cheerleader:

I tried it too.. I guess it doesn't work!?!?

I don't think the cheerleader has ever worked. :(

I love reading all of these planning tips, but in reality - I am a totally fly by the seat of my pants type of person. I will be figuring out what to bring, and doing laundry and packing the morning of the the 6th in order to leave that afternoon. Because that's how I roll. :eek:

My husband will be out of town helping his brother move...coming back the day before (most likely night before) I leave. So, now National Conference is my vacation - ha! - as I'll have the 3 kids for 5 days straight by myself - after having them for 4 of the normal he's-gone-13-hours-straight days this week. I'll be ready for the break! LOL!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• raebates
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • raebates
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
raebates
  • raebates