• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

2011 Countdown to National Conference

CindysPChef

Mar 11, 2008
I too am sooo excited. This will be my first ever conference and am looking forward to getting so much out of it and meeting new people with the same goal in mind!

raebates

Legend Member
Staff member
Dec 6, 2005
You may want to post a separate thread....to be noticed by someone looking for a room, etc...vs lost in the shuffle of this thread.

Just don't ask ME questions....My business is barely active month-to-month. I can answer the technical things (like where to find something on CC, etc), but when it comes to bookings, recruiting, Cust.Care....I'm the WRONG person to ask. :D But if you happen to be sitting near me somewhere, and have some tips for a shy introvert (I know that shocks you!) who is scared to pick up the phone- even after 4 years, I'll take it! ;)

Just don't ask ME questions....My business is barely active month-to-month. I can answer the technical things (like where to find something on CC, etc), but when it comes to bookings, recruiting, Cust.Care....I'm the WRONG person to ask. :D But if you happen to be sitting near me somewhere, and have some tips for a shy introvert (I know that shocks you!) who is scared to pick up the phone- even after 4 years, I'll take it! ;)

You sound like me.[/QUOTE]

You could always share one of the things you wish you'd known when you started if someone asks for advice.

raebates

Legend Member
Staff member
Dec 6, 2005
Today is June 27. There are only 10 days left until the start of National Conference!

Driving? Make sure you check out your vehicle before you leave. Do this even if you’re only driving to the next town to catch a plane, train, or bus. The Furry Guy will be checking my oil, water, washer fluid, and tire pressure. Trust me; you don’t want to break down on the way, especially if it’s something that could have been prevented.

Bonus tip:
Chicago is on Central Daylight Time. If you’re traveling from another time zone, you might want to start adjusting your schedule now. This is especially true if you live in the mountain or pacific time zone. After all, people on Eastern Daylight Time will probably be sleeping in at NC. Those to the west will probably be getting up earlier than usual. Getting up a little earlier every few days can make the adjustment smoother.

Chef Bobby

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Feb 1, 2007
You sound like me.

You could always share one of the things you wish you'd known when you started if someone asks for advice.[/QUOTE]

That's true Rae. Thanks! That would make a good thread. (I wish I would have known that...)

My first thought would be that I wish I would have known that I could work with a company for over five years and enjoy every minute of it.

raebates

Legend Member
Staff member
Dec 6, 2005
Today is June 28. There are only 9 days left until the start of National Conference!

You might want to take address labels with you. Some speakers will have handouts or offer additional information. If they run low they generally ask for names and addresses. A sheet of address labels is easy to carry and use. You might even want to bring a few self-addressed envelopes. That way if you want someone to send something special to you, you can just write what you want them to send on the back of the envelope.

pchockeymom

Veteran Member
Jan 1, 2011
Here's an email I got from my director who has been to conference 16 times but is not going this year:

My suggestions for conference:
1. wear very comfortable shoes even if you have to stick fancy ones in your purse or tote to wear later. There is a lot of walking and if your feet hurt everything hurts.
2. Don't spit on people from Darla's box!
3. wear your make up to bed, then you won't have to put it on in the morning.
4. One good shower before you leave town should do it for the week.
5. Bring band aids, headache pills, tums, enough to share.
6. There is always a hugh line for the bathrooms, so adult diapers help
7. bring business cards to share

I'm thinking she's seen it all!:balloon:

Sheila

Legend Member
Gold Member
Mar 26, 2008
Here's an email I got from my director who has been to conference 16 times but is not going this year:

My suggestions for conference:
1. wear very comfortable shoes even if you have to stick fancy ones in your purse or tote to wear later. There is a lot of walking and if your feet hurt everything hurts.
2. Don't spit on people from Darla's box!
3. wear your make up to bed, then you won't have to put it on in the morning.
4. One good shower before you leave town should do it for the week.
5. Bring band aids, headache pills, tums, enough to share.
6. There is always a hugh line for the bathrooms, so adult diapers help
7. bring business cards to share

I'm thinking she's seen it all!:balloon:

Bwahaha! That's funny!

raebates

Legend Member
Staff member
Dec 6, 2005
That's not funny--it's hysterical!

Of course, those whose first year at NC was last year might be confused by #2. LOL!

raebates

Legend Member
Staff member
Dec 6, 2005
Today is June 29. There are only 8 days left until the start of National Conference!

If possible, you might want to consider taking your own pillow along. I like my memory foam better than most hotel pillows. I sleep better, making me more wide awake and alert so I can absorb all those great ideas at NC! Of course, if taking a pillow switches you from carry-on only to checked baggage, don’t take it. Chances are good that your hotel will have very nice pillows.

raebates

Legend Member
Staff member
Dec 6, 2005
Today is June 30. There are only 7 days left until the start of National Conference!

Only one week! Take some time while you’re at NC to simply enjoy the experience. You’ll be surrounded by wonderful PC people. You’ll be rubbing elbows with people who have reached the level of success you’re striving toward. You will never have that exact experience again (those exact people at exactly that place in their business). Be sure to take a few moments to just enjoy the moment.

esavvymom

Legend Member
Staff member
Sep 8, 2008
:eek: <--- Does anyone else feel this way? Or is it just me because I leave on Saturday??

dannyzmom

Legend Member
Gold Member
Apr 11, 2005

jbondr

Gold Member
Apr 8, 2008
In my mind I am ready but my suitcase is still empty. I several things to get marked off my list before I leave for Conference. I will be going no matter how much I get marked off my list. Can't wait!!

pchockeymom

Veteran Member
Jan 1, 2011
I thought I was all together, then I did a Health & Wellness Fair last Saturday. That led to the owner of fitness facility wanting to do a "show in a box" for 5 days in a row while I'm at conference! Waa hoo except now I'm figuring out all the tools I need to provide him, have to do a "tutorial" with him on how to use and care for everything, and I have to get all the last minute details ready for my mega show on the 11th. AND, I need to go shopping (which I HATE) for clothes and shoes. Yeah, I'm starting to feel a bit frazzled.

jbondr

Gold Member
Apr 8, 2008
You can do it!! :cheerleader:

jbondr

Gold Member
Apr 8, 2008
Hey? Where did my little cheerleader go? Imagine a little happy cheerleader in the above post.

angel7581

Gold Member
Feb 4, 2009
In my mind I am ready but my suitcase is still empty. I several things to get marked off my list before I leave for Conference. I will be going no matter how much I get marked off my list. Can't wait!!

This is me! I know what I want to take though so that is half the battle. My husband gets home from Boston tonight .. then I can start packing.

Brenda.the.chef

Advanced Member
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2011
Hey? Where did my little cheerleader go? Imagine a little happy cheerleader in the above post.
:cheerleader:

I tried it too.. I guess it doesn't work!?!?

ChefBeckyD

Legend Member
Gold Member
Sep 20, 2005
:cheerleader:

I tried it too.. I guess it doesn't work!?!?

I don't think the cheerleader has ever worked. :(

I love reading all of these planning tips, but in reality - I am a totally fly by the seat of my pants type of person. I will be figuring out what to bring, and doing laundry and packing the morning of the the 6th in order to leave that afternoon. Because that's how I roll. :eek:

tiggerhale

Gold Member
Nov 4, 2010
My husband will be out of town helping his brother move...coming back the day before (most likely night before) I leave. So, now National Conference is my vacation - ha! - as I'll have the 3 kids for 5 days straight by myself - after having them for 4 of the normal he's-gone-13-hours-straight days this week. I'll be ready for the break! LOL!

DebinCincy

Mar 15, 2011
I am having my gall bladder out tomorrow, then conference on Thursday. I might pack my bag for conference tonight. I have so much to do. I have 4 kids (5 if you count my husband) and I am trying to thing of every thing for all of them. Its too much!!!!

kittychef

Mar 16, 2009
I am having my gall bladder out tomorrow, then conference on Thursday. I might pack my bag for conference tonight. I have so much to do. I have 4 kids (5 if you count my husband) and I am trying to thing of every thing for all of them. Its too much!!!!

Oh DebinCincy I'll be praying for you! I hope everything goes well.

DebinCincy

Mar 15, 2011
thank you!
I am getting nervous. This is my first surgery ever.

angel7581

Gold Member
Feb 4, 2009
I don't think the cheerleader has ever worked. :(

I love reading all of these planning tips, but in reality - I am a totally fly by the seat of my pants type of person. I will be figuring out what to bring, and doing laundry and packing the morning of the the 6th in order to leave that afternoon. Because that's how I roll. :eek:

I did this other years, but this year my house is the meeting place, so I want to have it relatively clean, which means cleaning is what I will do night before and that morning. With 3 kids, it is necessary for that to be the last thing I do .. it wont last long.

jbondr

Gold Member
Apr 8, 2008
I just checked the weather for Chicago during the Conference. Upper 70's for the high. I could use that right now with 90's + heat index = unbearable. I might need to think about layering with sleeves for the evening chill (60's).

esavvymom

Legend Member
Staff member
Sep 8, 2008
I just checked the weather for Chicago during the Conference. Upper 70's for the high. I could use that right now with 90's + heat index = unbearable. I might need to think about layering with sleeves for the evening chill (60's).

Don't tease me!! That would be so nice....

raebates

Legend Member
Staff member
Dec 6, 2005
Today is July 1. There are only 6 days left until the start of National Conference!

Check out the weather report for Chicago. This will help you narrow down your packing choices. One place you can check is: National Maps - NOAA's National Weather Service (If you’re having trouble with that link, the address is weather.gov.)

raebates

Legend Member
Staff member
Dec 6, 2005
JBONDR, you must have had a psychic moment. This was my planned post for today. :D

pchefjaneen

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2009
This will be so much better than last year! When it was in the 90's waiting for the megabus at the end of conference....it was not pretty!

raebates

Legend Member
Staff member
Dec 6, 2005
That's only true, Janeen, if you believe weather people. LOL!

chefa

Advanced Member
Jul 21, 2009
DH was telling me this morning he saw triple digits predicted during our time there. Hello - I'm trying to get away from triple digits so I really hope whichever weatherman said that is wrong!

raebates

Legend Member
Staff member
Dec 6, 2005
DH was telling me this morning he saw triple digits predicted during our time there. Hello - I'm trying to get away from triple digits so I really hope whichever weatherman said that is wrong!

That would not be fun.

PamperedchefDaly

Gold Member
Jul 22, 2008
I'm enjoying your countdown and all the tips. One thing we should all do--bring an umbrella! That way, we will be sure that it won't rain :D

jbondr

Gold Member
Apr 8, 2008
JBONDR, you must have had a psychic moment. This was my planned post for today. :D

Let's just (modestly) say great minds think alike:)

raebates

Legend Member
Staff member
Dec 6, 2005

frozenchef

Advanced Member
Gold Member
Jan 15, 2008
It was SO hot last year...and I was 7 months preggers - on the shuttle back to the airport, there was no AC and we got stuck in traffic...I sincerely thought I was going to pass out.
We have topped 65 a couple time here in Alaska, so upper 70s sounds perfect :) So looking forward to some SUN!

raebates

Legend Member
Staff member
Dec 6, 2005
Today is July 2. There are only 5 days left until the start of National Conference!

If you haven’t already done so, start packing now. It will give you time to remember the little things that may have slipped your mind. Don’t pack right into your suitcase, though. Lay everything out so you can see it. This way you’ll be less likely to over pack. For items that should be hanging on hangers until the last moment, gather them together. Section off a spot in your closet just for those items.

Now decide how you’ll pack. Rolling clothes is popular. I prefer stacking everything with plastic in between and folding it gently together (shopping bags work well and can be used later). I’ll be using a garment bag, for my more wrinkle-prone items.

Chef Bobby

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Feb 1, 2007
Just typical luck for me. While running errands yesterday I forgot about picking up my shirts at the cleaners. They don't reopen till Tuesday after I'm already at the airport. Guess I'm going shirt shopping today.

Becca_in_MD

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Jan 9, 2009
Rae - are you going to post any tips about checking for and avoiding bed bugs? Such as don't put your suitcase on the bed b/c it's a good way for the bugs to jump on board and come home with you. Check under the sheets for signs of infestation.

ChefCKHall

Advanced Member
Jan 30, 2010
rae - are you going to post any tips about checking for and avoiding bed bugs? Such as don't put your suitcase on the bed b/c it's a good way for the bugs to jump on board and come home with you. Check under the sheets for signs of infestation.

triple dog blech!!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
esavvymom
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies