• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

theOfficial Hijacking Threads Hijack Thread

In summary, many people are complaining about the way threads get hijacked and morph into something completely unrelated to the original thread title. Some say it's just the way normal conversation flows and topics change as one topic reminds speakers of another. Others say thread hijacking is an awful thing and it is terribly annoying. Well, this thread is going to stay on topic: thread hijacking! Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
  • #3,101
You mean the fact that Redbird looks like he could be related to you? :)

Love ya, KG!

Good news, in a weird sort of way! My show for tomorrow night cancelled! YAY! :balloon: Normally, I wouldn't be that excited, but this was the last one I had on the books from the Potty Party crowd (who are now accusing each other of stealing change).

• #3,102
No, Redbird Express is even a lot older than I am. :pHe's quite a character, though, and he's seen more of America than most of us ever will.

• #3,103
I didn't mean that he looks the same age as you... silly!
I'm sure he's got hundreds of stories, too.

• #3,104
Yup, he's got stories alright. Not to mention an opinion about each and every one of them and a few other things, too.

• #3,105
The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Yup, he's got stories alright. Not to mention an opinion about each and every one of them and a few other things, too.

Hmmm. Sounds familiar. ;)

• #3,106
<giggle> You said it, but I was thinkin' it!

• #3,107
Oh, stop it.

• #3,108
You know you love the attention!

• #3,109
Yeah- he's on here flirting with all of us all the time. Wouldn't do that if he didn't like it.

• #3,110
Flirting? Is that what you call it now?

• #3,111
The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Greetings from Iowa - where what isn't corn is soybeans.
What isn't soybeans is hogs.
What isn't hogs is ethanol production plants.
What isn't an ethanol production plant is corn.

I know I'm a little late on this reply but a friend once told me that Iowa stands for

I idiots
O out
W walking
A around

• #3,112
chefann said:
...but this was the last one I had on the books from the Potty Party crowd (who are now accusing each other of stealing change).

Ann - I must have missed hearing about this. What is the Potty Party crowd?? Please tell!

• #3,113
momoftwins said:
Ann - I must have missed hearing about this. What is the Potty Party crowd?? Please tell!
I had a show in June that's detailed in the "Thread Killers" thread. In a nutshell, the host got up and used an invalid's potty chair that was in the living room during the middle of the show -and the show was in the living room! There was a big to-do about getting payment from Potty (as I have now nicknamed that host), including me having to mail her an envelope so she'd have one to mail me a money order. And of all shows to get 2 bookings from, it had to be that one. Booking 1 was with Potty's deaf daughter - that show was about $60 when I left the house, although the one outside order cancelled, and Potty reduced her order. Booking 2 was with a 12-year old (Peggy), although she and her mom actually invited more than 6 people. :rolleyes: After I tacked the order from Booking 1 onto it, that show ended up at $145 (so I put something I wanted on it). There was 1 booking from Booking 2, but the host cancelled when I called to get an attendance count because "everyone is sick." But I think it's related to the theft accusations.

I'm trying to stay out of those. Potty paid me for her order on her daughter's show with a money order. She then cancelled part of her order, but couldn't return the MO. Then she got a MO for her order on the 2nd booking (Peggy's show), but didn't think to reduce the amount of that one by her change from the first one. So I owed her change. I tried to make things convenient for her, so I stapled an envelope with the change (cash, stupidly) to her receipt from 2nd booking, but she said that there was neither receipt nor envelope in the bag with the products. When I called the house (Peggy's family) to check, they said that no receipts had ever arrived (and all I said to them was that Potty didn't have a receipt in her bag - did those ever arrive in the mail?). So I cut a check to Potty for the $20 and mailed it directly to her with a reprinted receipt. She then called me and told me that she had phoned the other house and asked where her money was. And told me on the phone, "I think they kept it. Not that I'm accusing them or anything." Excuse me?!? What do you think the sentence "I think they took it" is? A compliment?

Here's the part that really takes the cake. The gal who booked from Peggy's show, Deb (who cancelled this weekend), and who is Peggy's sister, was thinking of becoming a consultant. I know that we're not supposed to pre-judge, but she had no place to get the money for the kit, she and her husband live with her mom because of money issues (there's at least 4 adults and 5 children under 15 living in that house), and she doesn't have a car. The last thing I need now is a high-maintenance recruit. I'll call her to reschedule in a couple of weeks because I told her I would, but I really hope she decides not to have another show.

Last edited:
  • #3,114
Mark this entry ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ so you can point people to it next time someone asks.

• #3,115
Whoever thought there'd be a post #3113 on a thread around here? (other than the missing thread, but that one has a life of its own for good reason)

• #3,116
Ann, I have to say that I thought I had to party to beat all parties, but you win hands down.

I did a show in June. The hostesses house was decked out for Christmas. (I'm still not sure why) She was a pack rat. She had every newspaper made by man piled up in her livingroom and all sorts of garbage piled everywhere. I really wasn't sure where her 15 guests were going to sit. She had 35 cats and 2 dogs in a house the size of a soap box.

She went crazy on me telling me that her husband left early that morning because they had a fight over money. Every other word out of her mouth was f---. She was a little frightened for him to come home. Now I was scared because I thought if she is this crazy he might be crazy and go on a shooting spree.

Her family and friends started to show up and they were all scary too. Missing teeth, clothes dirty and stained, fowl mouths. The husband finally came back and was drunk as a skunk. He clung on to me like I was his long lost friend.

Finally, the hostesses mother came to me to place her order. While she was sitting at the table this little white haired lady had a personality change and became a southern bell mid sentence and began talking with a drawl. She was clearly a New Yorker when she sat down.

I had two people want to book a show off of her. I told them that with the summer coming a catalog show was the way to go because people don't want to attend PC parties in the summer. (I was scared to be around this group!!) Thank goodness I did this because the two shows together didn't even hit $140.

I survived the evening, but one of the girls at the show is interested in becoming a consultant. I'm trying very hard to not pre-judge, BUT I'M SCARED!!!!

• #3,117
Dawn4 said:
I survived the evening, but one of the girls at the show is interested in becoming a consultant. I'm trying very hard to not pre-judge, BUT I'M SCARED!!!!
Dawn:

First - breathe. :)

Next - maybe the gal who wants to sign is the "sane" one in the bunch and wants to change her life for the better. Who knows. Yes, you'll deal with her more frequently when she's a new consultant than if she were just a host, but much of that will be over the phone or in group situations, like at cluster meetings.

Third - She's the one who will be doing her own shows, handling her family. So it's actually better for you in that respect that she become a consultant, so you don't have to do shows in this group again. :D

Give her some info - let her make her own decision. And we're here if she does sign and you need to vent.

• #3,118
Thanks Ann. She was more "sane" than the rest. She actually contacted me yesterday and wants to host a cooking show this time in September and possibly get her first set of bookings from there. I'm sure one-on-one this group wouldn't be bad. It was just the group as a whole that really scared me. Not to mention that my husband dropped me off at the show because we had one car in the shop that day so I couldn't even escape if I wanted to. Hopefully this will be my only horror story!!!

• #3,119
At least Ann's people are just crazy, but I wouldn't worry about my personal safety with them... You're people are just scary!

• #3,119
At least Ann's people are just crazy, but I wouldn't worry about my personal safety with them... You're people are just scary!

• #3,120
nobody has anything random to post here today, apparently.

I sold some more jewelry. Hooray! :balloon: Some to some Cheffers. And I need to get the "cheffer items" made and posted on my Etsy shop. :)

• #3,121
Ann~

I think the Potty Party happened when I was "off CS"...she actually WENT TO THE BATHROOM RIGHT THERE IN FRONT OF EVERYONE? Was she disabled? Physically, I mean! OMG!!

• #3,122
She is a heavy woman, on oxygen. The only bathroom in the house is upstairs, which apparently is why she had the potty (on the landing of the steps). It was going to be too much effort for her to walk upstairs, so she proceeded to use the potty. It was off to the side, but it's unnerving to know what someone's doing and have them repeating, "Nobody look at me!" while they're doing it.

Worst part? She sat back down on the couch without washing her hands!
:yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

• #3,123
Eeeeewwwwwwww! :yuck:

• #3,124
chefann said:
She is a heavy woman, on oxygen. The only bathroom in the house is upstairs, which apparently is why she had the potty (on the landing of the steps). It was going to be too much effort for her to walk upstairs, so she proceeded to use the potty. It was off to the side, but it's unnerving to know what someone's doing and have them repeating, "Nobody look at me!" while they're doing it.

Worst part? She sat back down on the couch without washing her hands!
:yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:
EEWWWW!!!!Ucky! Then I suppose she wanted to touch all of your PC tools????:yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

• #3,125
You guessed it! EVERYTHING went into the dishwasher when I got home!

• #3,126
ROFLOL!!!! You guys are hilarious! Thought I would look into this thread. Had never really before....seemed to be too much to read!! LOL

But the last couple of posts are priceless!!!

I will have to add to those......:yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

• #3,127
Those yuck smilies were made for this situation, I think.

• #3,128
chefann said:
You guessed it! EVERYTHING went into the dishwasher when I got home!
How did your apron and Pampered Chef t-shirt come out?

• #3,129
OK- I could have been clearer with that statement.

All of the products in my kit went into the dishwasher, or a sink full of REALLY hot water, depending on whether they were dishwasher safe, when I got home.

Better?

• #3,130
...or you could have just crawled into the shower, t-shirt, apron, tools and all!

• #3,131
You would like that, wouldn't you, DOM? ;)

• #3,132
Sheesh - when did a smart-ass remark turn into something else around here?

• #3,133
What?! I was being a smart-ass back!

Fine.

Say, after you sent me that phone number for that Mark IV, Dan told me that "I don't need the number for something I have no intention of buying." But he was the one who asked me to get it from you!!! Good grief. I'm gonna post it with the pics on the Lincoln Forum.

• #3,134
Too bad - I thought it was your color.

• #3,135
I thought it was cool. When I first mentioned it to him, before I checked email, he said, "59? Those are the Chinese Lincolns. I'd drive one of those." He was impressed at the condition, too. I posted the pice on the forum with the phone number. Maybe the owner will get a few additional calls on it because of that.

• #3,136
OH..........MY........LORD!!!!

chefann said:
I had a show in June that's detailed in the "Thread Killers" thread. In a nutshell, the host got up and used an invalid's potty chair that was in the living room during the middle of the show -and the show was in the living room! There was a big to-do about getting payment from Potty (as I have now nicknamed that host), including me having to mail her an envelope so she'd have one to mail me a money order. And of all shows to get 2 bookings from, it had to be that one. Booking 1 was with Potty's deaf daughter - that show was about $60 when I left the house, although the one outside order cancelled, and Potty reduced her order. Booking 2 was with a 12-year old (Peggy), although she and her mom actually invited more than 6 people. :rolleyes: After I tacked the order from Booking 1 onto it, that show ended up at $145 (so I put something I wanted on it). There was 1 booking from Booking 2, but the host cancelled when I called to get an attendance count because "everyone is sick." But I think it's related to the theft accusations.

I'm trying to stay out of those. Potty paid me for her order on her daughter's show with a money order. She then cancelled part of her order, but couldn't return the MO. Then she got a MO for her order on the 2nd booking (Peggy's show), but didn't think to reduce the amount of that one by her change from the first one. So I owed her change. I tried to make things convenient for her, so I stapled an envelope with the change (cash, stupidly) to her receipt from 2nd booking, but she said that there was neither receipt nor envelope in the bag with the products. When I called the house (Peggy's family) to check, they said that no receipts had ever arrived (and all I said to them was that Potty didn't have a receipt in her bag - did those ever arrive in the mail?). So I cut a check to Potty for the $20 and mailed it directly to her with a reprinted receipt. She then called me and told me that she had phoned the other house and asked where her money was. And told me on the phone, "I think they kept it. Not that I'm accusing them or anything." Excuse me?!? What do you think the sentence "I think they took it" is? A compliment?

Here's the part that really takes the cake. The gal who booked from Peggy's show, Deb (who cancelled this weekend), and who is Peggy's sister, was thinking of becoming a consultant. I know that we're not supposed to pre-judge, but she had no place to get the money for the kit, she and her husband live with her mom because of money issues (there's at least 4 adults and 5 children under 15 living in that house), and she doesn't have a car. The last thing I need now is a high-maintenance recruit. I'll call her to reschedule in a couple of weeks because I told her I would, but I really hope she decides not to have another show.

• #3,137
MamaChef said:
OH..........MY........LORD!!!!
Yeah. It was pretty bad. I'm so glad to be out of that group for now, although I will call the last host who had to reschedule, because I told her I would.

• #3,138
chefann said:
I thought it was cool. When I first mentioned it to him, before I checked email, he said, "59? Those are the Chinese Lincolns. I'd drive one of those." He was impressed at the condition, too. I posted the pice on the forum with the phone number. Maybe the owner will get a few additional calls on it because of that.
Tell him to reconsider so you'll have one to drive.

It matches your eyes.

• #3,139
On that basis, come to think of it, it's a good thing it wasn't red.

• #3,140
Um, KG? My eyes are brown.One of the MI region members who has the convertible version of that same car called on it. $6500, negotiable. It has 86k miles on it, which is about what my daily driver has.My post on TLF about it started a conversation about why DH doesn't have "Husband of Ann" in his siggy, because I have "wife of webmaster" in mine. :)

• #3,141
Like I said, it matches your eyes. :grumpy:

Actually, that seems kinda reasonable for a car that clean. It needs trim work on the front seat but it otherwise looked pretty good.

I admit, the thought of calling on it has occurred to me a couple of times, but I need another car like I need a hemorrhoid.

• #3,142
This is the info our member got:
It is being offered by the owner of the past 23 years.
California car
86-87,000 miles
Rechromed bumpers and taillights
Started every 2 weeks to keep running.
New P/S seal recently
Located in Antigo, WI, on Hwy 45, 30 miles NE of Wausau.
Rear window works, but is unplugged to keep people from playing with it.
Front carpet replaced due to mouse damage. Extra piece for rear.
Interior is two-tone turquoise leather. Front needs recovered.
Black carpet.
Wipers work, horn works, a/c does not work, radio does not work
Antenna is missing
Headlamp dimmer works
I noticed the rocker stainless mouldings are missing. Seller claims they were never there. No clips, either.
Needs new weatherstripping.
Trunk lock cylinder is missing, so you release trunk via glove box switch.
Part of horn ring is missing.
Exterior color appears to be Sapphire, exclusive to Continental and 1st year offered.
Asking $6,500, negotiable.He probably called because it's the same year and color as his 59 Mark IV Convertible.
I was also pleasantly surprised at the asking price. Of course, I'm not on top of the going rates for 48 year old Lincolns. :)

• #3,143
Abraham was 56, so I guess this one has a ways to go yet.

• #3,144
Do I need to find more interesting cars for sale to post up here?C'mon someone, hijack this wreck before it becomes The Auto TradebuyerHemmings.

• #3,145
DH checked with the guy in our region who was interested, and he said that a typical price for a '59 is around $4500, so this one is actually overpriced. And both colors in the interior would need to be special ordered from a tannery in order to replace the upholstery (and most have a 3-hide minimum for each custom color). Yikes!

DH and I had no power at home Friday night. Yuk. It wasn't too bad in the house, just stuffy with no fans running. And no internet! :eek:

• #3,146
When was the last time you saw an asking price for a car that was fair and average?

• #3,147
True.

DH offered to run up and take a closer look, until he Googled the map. It was a lot farther than he was willing to drive that weekend. :)

• #3,148
Drive to Luddington ---> Ferry to Manitowoc ---> AntigoAntigo ---> Manitowoc ---> Ferry to Luddington ---> HomeHe's right.

• #3,149
We'll be in Madison already that weekend, but the additional 170 miles each way was a bit much. :)BTW- no other nut cases want to get together that weekend. At least not yet.

• #3,150
Pffffft - to look at a car?What a wuss.

<h2>1. What is a thread hijacking?</h2><p>A thread hijacking occurs when the topic of a conversation in a forum thread shifts from the original subject to something completely unrelated.</p><h2>2. Why do threads get hijacked?</h2><p>There are a few reasons why threads may get hijacked. Sometimes, it's simply the natural flow of conversation as one topic leads to another. Other times, it may be due to a lack of moderation or enforcement of staying on topic. Some users may also intentionally hijack threads for attention or to disrupt the conversation.</p><h2>3. Is thread hijacking a common issue on forums?</h2><p>Yes, thread hijacking is a common issue on forums. It can be frustrating for users who are genuinely interested in the original topic and can make it difficult for others to follow the conversation.</p><h2>4. How can thread hijacking be prevented?</h2><p>Moderation is key in preventing thread hijacking. Forum moderators should actively monitor threads and redirect the conversation back to the original topic if it veers off track. Setting clear guidelines for staying on topic can also help prevent thread hijacking.</p><h2>5. What should I do if I notice a thread being hijacked?</h2><p>If you notice a thread being hijacked, you can try politely redirecting the conversation back to the original topic. You can also flag the thread for moderation or report the issue to a forum moderator. It's important to remember to stay respectful and avoid engaging in any arguments or off-topic discussions.</p>

Related to theOfficial Hijacking Threads Hijack Thread

1. What is a thread hijacking?

A thread hijacking occurs when the topic of a conversation in a forum thread shifts from the original subject to something completely unrelated.

2. Why do threads get hijacked?

There are a few reasons why threads may get hijacked. Sometimes, it's simply the natural flow of conversation as one topic leads to another. Other times, it may be due to a lack of moderation or enforcement of staying on topic. Some users may also intentionally hijack threads for attention or to disrupt the conversation.

3. Is thread hijacking a common issue on forums?

Yes, thread hijacking is a common issue on forums. It can be frustrating for users who are genuinely interested in the original topic and can make it difficult for others to follow the conversation.

4. How can thread hijacking be prevented?

Moderation is key in preventing thread hijacking. Forum moderators should actively monitor threads and redirect the conversation back to the original topic if it veers off track. Setting clear guidelines for staying on topic can also help prevent thread hijacking.

5. What should I do if I notice a thread being hijacked?

If you notice a thread being hijacked, you can try politely redirecting the conversation back to the original topic. You can also flag the thread for moderation or report the issue to a forum moderator. It's important to remember to stay respectful and avoid engaging in any arguments or off-topic discussions.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Admin Greg
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • Kitchen Diva
  • General Chat
2 3
Replies
Views
PamperedDor