• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

theOfficial Hijacking Threads Hijack Thread

In summary, many people are complaining about the way threads get hijacked and morph into something completely unrelated to the original thread title. Some say it's just the way normal conversation flows and topics change as one topic reminds speakers of another. Others say thread hijacking is an awful thing and it is terribly annoying. Well, this thread is going to stay on topic: thread hijacking! Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
  • #1,451
Oh, no. I'm hearing that Peanuts teacher again. Wah, wah, wha, wha, wha, wah. Is it just me?

• #1,452
raebates said:
Oh, no. I'm hearing that Peanuts teacher again. Wah, wah, wha, wha, wha, wah. Is it just me?
One of the musicals I was in during high school was "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown." Our band director did that "wah wah" sound with his trumpet. I was Peppermint Patty. My sister was typecast as the cute little red-headed girl. :)

• #1,453
Best I did in the HSM was to play in the pit - I was the Bari sax. The best part I had was during Grand Old Ivy in How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying. The bari sax has a quasi solo during the Groundhog! bit with Finch and Biggley groveling on stage.Not much of a moment, is it?

Last edited:
  • #1,454
I was the eldest and favorite daughter in a civic theater production of The King and I. By the time I was in high school, I preferred minor roles or the chorus--all of the fun with a lot less work.

• #1,455
Not to mention, you didn't have to wear a hoop skirt.

• #1,456
I had to wear a hoop skirt in The King and I. I was in the chorus, aka one of the wives. Just one scene in the hoop, but we looked like cakes walking from the dressing room to the wings.

One of the oddest things I did in a musical was in college. We were presenting Drood, the Mystery of Edwin Drood, which is based on the novel Dickens was writing when he died. One number, "Don't Quit While You're Ahead," had a catchy tune and beat that was perfect for a kick line. Rather than have us look like total fools, the director/choreographer put in a low-kick bit. But the 6 women in the chorus (myself included) had to actually lay on the floor and do kicks. So I got to sew fun bloomers for us, and we had a shopping trip to find bright tights.

We had a great set piece for that show, too. One scene, that culminated in a really great musical number, was a dinner party for 6. Rather than seat everyone around one side of a table (like what's usually done on TV), we built a vertical table. It angled slightly, but was basically a flat board, shaped like a trapezoid, giving one the same effect as standing at the foot of a really long table. We glued on plates, etc. and the cast members in that scene sat on different height stools to give the impression that they were at different points along the table.

• #1,457
Now, that's clever! When our HS did Guys & Dolls, as always, the director of the art department was in charge of designing/painting all the drops. I was so impressed with the drop for The Crap Shooters' Ballet (just after Sky sings Luck Be A Lady) until I saw that awful movie version (with Frank Sinatra as Nathan Detroit) and I realized he stole the entire sewer design from the movie.

• #1,458
Not stole. It was an homage. ;)

The Drood show had some really interesting things that we did. We were lucky to have someone in the Theater department who was not only clever and creative, but wasn't afraid to work with the music department (it was officially a Music Dept. production). We built extensions of the stage out into the audience, then connected them with another runway, creating a sort of donut effect. The orchestra sat in the hole, so they were front and center the whole time. One scene called for the title character (a "pants" part, by the way) and the female lead to stroll through a garden. So the orchestra wore hats with silk flowers on them and the actors picked the flowers. We built a "stone" mausoleum out of painted styrofoam coolers. The aforementioned banquet scene required food, so my roommate sewed a soft-sculpture roast turkey (not entirely accurate for Dickensian England, but it was the thought that counted). We made a fairly cool looking hookah out of a silver coffeepot and some surgical tubing. (I was not only in the chorus, I was on the props crew and costume crew.)

But the most fun part was that it's an "audience participation" play because there is no ending to the novel - Dickens died before he completed it. So at one point in the second act, a bunch of characters lined up on stage and we had to poll the audience to determine who they wanted to be the murderer. Each suspect had a confession song, which they would sing if they were chosen, but it was woven into the action, so audience members had to wait to find out who "won" the vote. The stage manager had to walkie-talkie the result to the orchestra conductor so they knew which music to play. And then, because you can't have a musical without a happy ending, the remaining named characters were eligible to be paired up into the romantic couple at the end, also selected by the audience. One night, the crowd paired up the characters who were brother and sister!

• #1,459
Sounds like you made some great memories, Ann.

• #1,460
chefann said:
Not stole. It was an homage. ;)
No, out and out theft. ;)

chefann said:
One night, the crowd paired up the characters who were brother and sister!
Well, that's certainly a Dickens of an ending!

• #1,461
So what, KG gets to kill this... I don't think so.

• #1,462
I got some cute Capri's today for Conference. They're orange! And I got a cute orange gingham top to go with them.

• #1,463
I've decided to lose 10 lbs before conference so I can actually fit into my clothes by then.
And I found a friend that has a hat with strawberries on it. I'm gonna see if I can borrow it and wear it for our meet 'n greet so you won't be the only one with a fruity hat!

• #1,464
Jason? I think your phone's ringing.

• #1,465
Leave him alone... he is supposed to be working on a paper (or something else as equally borning!)

• #1,466
How much does he need? A hundred? A thousand? I don't think I can loan him any more than that.

• #1,467
katie0128 said:
So what, KG gets to kill this... I don't think so.
What, I can't kill my own thread?

• #1,468
Bang.Now it's dead. So everyone leave it alone.Please, please, please leave it alone now.

• #1,469
Um.... this is how braindead I am this morning. I tried to kill this thread instead of the "Thread Killers" one.
:rolleyes:

• #1,470
Must be all that partying you did last night with TKG! I can't wait to meet you guys in Chicago!

• #1,471
Oh, yeah, such partying.... we had dinner, showed KG the garage, chatted a little, and that was it.

But we did get KG a Faygo Redpop. (That was mentioned in a thread several months back.)

• #1,472
Faygo Red Pop and a chance to see a classic car? I'm sure KG was in a state of bliss.

• #1,473
He and DH talked car parts and cross-reference. KG gave us an idea for selling the house when we do eventually move - list it in Old Car Weekly instead of traditional outlets: "6-car garage for sale, house attached."

• #1,474
Actually, that sounds like a really great idea.

• #1,475
chefann said:
He and DH talked car parts and cross-reference. KG gave us an idea for selling the house when we do eventually move - list it in Old Car Weekly instead of traditional outlets: "6-car garage for sale, house attached."

It's funny you mention that - because that would be what my DH would look for first! "Uh, yeah the house is great....but how big is the garage?"

We actually have 2 garages - the one attached to the house, and the Deluxe Garage that houses my DH's true loves........

• #1,476
Ours is technically 2 garages, also. A 2-car that's attached to the house, and a 4-car that you drive through the 2-car to get into. When we bought this house, we were looking for places with 3 or more bedrooms and 4 or more car garage. Or land enough to build more garage.

Becky, I'm sure you are DH's FIRST true love. (Or at least you should tell yourself that.) :)

• #1,477
chefann said:
Becky, I'm sure you are DH's FIRST true love. (Or at least you should tell yourself that.) :)

Technically - it's the cars....they have been around longer than me.;) BUT - after DS was born, and money was extremely tight, he did sell a '72 Challenger that he has had since High School (And was only the 2nd owner).....so I know that when push comes to shove.....We (myself and DS) are higher on the list!

Cute story - DH had a t-shirt made for DS last summer w/ a picture of his prized, and rare '70 Challenger, and over the top of the car it says "MY COLLEGE FUND".:D

• #1,478
This is post 4500 for me.

I'm such a post slut.

• #1,479
A few years ago, I sold my first Model A, a 1930 Town Sedan, that I drove all over the country, to raise enough cash for a down payment on a house to keep my wife happy.Now the car is gone and the wife is gone, and on the whole, I wish I had the car back.

• #1,479
Been there. Bought the T-Shirt.

Got the fabric for my jammie pants yesterday. It's snuggle flannel, so it's soft and lightweight. It's a very light lavender with stars of white, muted purple, and two shades of pink, in various sizes. I even got pink ribbon for the drawstring. I'm so glad you suggested making them. Now I'll have exactly what I want.

• #1,480
chefann said:
This is post 4500 for me.

I'm such a post slut.

Been there. Bought the T-Shirt.

Got the fabric for my jammie pants yesterday. It's snuggle flannel, so it's soft and lightweight. It's a very light lavender with stars of white, muted purple, and two shades of pink, in various sizes. I even got pink ribbon for the drawstring. I'm so glad you suggested making them. Now I'll have exactly what I want.

• #1,481
The_Kitchen_Guy said:
A few years ago, I sold my first Model A, a 1930 Town Sedan, that I drove all over the country, to raise enough cash for a down payment on a house to keep my wife happy.

Now the car is gone and the wife is gone, and on the whole, I wish I had the car back.

In the back of my mind, I always tell myself that if we ever strike it rich or inherit the big bucks - I will track his 72 Challenger down and buy it back for him.

• #1,482
I know - but those dumb guys at Megabucks never pick my numbers.

• #1,483
The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I know - but those dumb guys at Megabucks never pick my numbers.

But you did win the Internet Lottery from Great Britain, right? What's holding up the cash from that one?:confused: :D

• #1,484
I must have transposed a numbre in my credit card account.

• #1,485
chefann said:
Bang.

Now it's dead. So everyone leave it alone.

Please, please, please leave it alone now.
You missed.

• #1,486
I love how the Brownie S'mores thread and the Get Healthy Squad thread are running together. That's like Rosie going out with Rush.

• #1,487
Bad image in head. Must remove. Must think of something else.

Aaack! Image replaced with Jason in a backward thong.

• #1,488
And I had something that I wanted to post in the Favorite Ice Cream thread.... Caramel Pretzel Klondike bars! Delish!!

• #1,489
Well, I don't know about that (Caramel Pretzel Klondike bars?) but I do know we've gone over 10,000 views with this goofy thread.Of course, the thread killer thread passed us up a couple of weeks ago but we're hangin' in there!

• #1,490
Trust me, the Klondike Bars are really good. They remind me of Take 5 candy bars. There's a layer of caramel and pretzel pieces on top of the ice cream, under the chocolate coating. And I think the ice cream is also caramel flavored.

• #1,491
I'll try one after I learn how to drive my new mouth.

• #1,492
OK. I'll hold you to that.Where you headed tonight? What are you doing this weekend?

• #1,493
Sterling Heights, Rochester Heights, Rochester...and going to (drum roll, please) Toledo.

• #1,494
ooohh---- Toledo! Wow![/sarcasm]
I was gonna invite you to my show Saturday if you were free. And if it doesn't get postponed again.

• #1,495
I don't need to be in Toledo until 9:00 PM.And no, it isn't a date. I'm free Sunday evening, too!

• #1,496
Well, as of right now, my show is 2:00 on Saturday. Toledo's only an hour-ish away. (yeah- that's the technical term. What's it to you?) I'm thinking of going to a no-cook demo for Saturday. Want to come and watch me make a fool of myself?

• #1,497
I'll sit in the audience and heckle.

• #1,498
So, remember that $900 catalog host? She called today. Seems she's had a few more people tell her they want to order. She asked if it would be okay for her to do a July show. Ha! Is it okay? I couldn't call her back fast enough. She wants the Salad Spinner, but wants the products soon, so she wants to close on July 1. I told her she needs to sign up. The woman attracts PC sales like a searchlight attracts moths.She's not interested, at least for now. That's okay. I really don't mind her being a "just a host." Hee, hee, hee.

• #1,499
Yeah- that commission check every month really sucks. :)At least you planted a seed of interest, and she's thinking about it, even if it's just in the back of her mind.

• #1,500
KG- I'll email you or post details when I get off the phone with Saturday's host tonight.

<h2>1. What is a thread hijacking?</h2><p>A thread hijacking occurs when the topic of a conversation in a forum thread shifts from the original subject to something completely unrelated.</p><h2>2. Why do threads get hijacked?</h2><p>There are a few reasons why threads may get hijacked. Sometimes, it's simply the natural flow of conversation as one topic leads to another. Other times, it may be due to a lack of moderation or enforcement of staying on topic. Some users may also intentionally hijack threads for attention or to disrupt the conversation.</p><h2>3. Is thread hijacking a common issue on forums?</h2><p>Yes, thread hijacking is a common issue on forums. It can be frustrating for users who are genuinely interested in the original topic and can make it difficult for others to follow the conversation.</p><h2>4. How can thread hijacking be prevented?</h2><p>Moderation is key in preventing thread hijacking. Forum moderators should actively monitor threads and redirect the conversation back to the original topic if it veers off track. Setting clear guidelines for staying on topic can also help prevent thread hijacking.</p><h2>5. What should I do if I notice a thread being hijacked?</h2><p>If you notice a thread being hijacked, you can try politely redirecting the conversation back to the original topic. You can also flag the thread for moderation or report the issue to a forum moderator. It's important to remember to stay respectful and avoid engaging in any arguments or off-topic discussions.</p>

Related to theOfficial Hijacking Threads Hijack Thread

1. What is a thread hijacking?

A thread hijacking occurs when the topic of a conversation in a forum thread shifts from the original subject to something completely unrelated.

2. Why do threads get hijacked?

There are a few reasons why threads may get hijacked. Sometimes, it's simply the natural flow of conversation as one topic leads to another. Other times, it may be due to a lack of moderation or enforcement of staying on topic. Some users may also intentionally hijack threads for attention or to disrupt the conversation.

3. Is thread hijacking a common issue on forums?

Yes, thread hijacking is a common issue on forums. It can be frustrating for users who are genuinely interested in the original topic and can make it difficult for others to follow the conversation.

4. How can thread hijacking be prevented?

Moderation is key in preventing thread hijacking. Forum moderators should actively monitor threads and redirect the conversation back to the original topic if it veers off track. Setting clear guidelines for staying on topic can also help prevent thread hijacking.

5. What should I do if I notice a thread being hijacked?

If you notice a thread being hijacked, you can try politely redirecting the conversation back to the original topic. You can also flag the thread for moderation or report the issue to a forum moderator. It's important to remember to stay respectful and avoid engaging in any arguments or off-topic discussions.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Admin Greg
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • Kitchen Diva
  • General Chat
2 3
Replies
Views
PamperedDor