• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Your Cooking Show Planning Guide

In summary, the company provides a Cooking Show Planning Guide for the host to use. The host is not supposed to use it, but does anyway. The guide does not help increase sales.
RMDave
Gold Member
How many of you give hosts the PLANNING GUIDE? What changes do you make (if any)? How do you use it. How has it helped increase attendance and sales?

Thanks in advance.

I include it in Host Packets, point it out during a Host Coaching call, leave it up to host to use it or not. Increase sales??? Probably not. I think it is more helpful to the host for organizational purposes of her show (who she/he invited, wish list, etc).

I put one in every packet. I write some notes on it, highlight a few things (the 2 days for reminders, memory joggers for the guest list, the $1000 benefits). I go over it during my first host coaching call (or at the show when booking).

I don't think it really increases my sales all that much, but hey, they're free.

I think it's pointless. I never use them anymore.I use the guest address list - I email it to them, and then have a version that I include in host packets, and have them do their wish list online. That works great.

I use them only as a visual for the hostess -- and I guess, hope, an organizational tool where everything is in one place. I highlight all the topics, then we discuss this during our first host coaching call and at the end of the show to talk about host rewards, their guest list, how much more they would need to get XXXX off their list, etc.

I used to put all kinds of cute, colorful flyers in the host packet but I found that most hosts never looked at any of it and when I asked they said there was too much information. Now I ONLY use the Cooking Show Planning Guide. I add stickers and notes on it and refer to it during host coaching. The company provides one flyer that covers all the benefits and tips that I had on the other flyers and it's less work and ink for me (and they are absolutely FREE).

Again, I use what the company gives me saving time and $$ and makes my job look easy.

BethCooks4U said:
I used to put all kinds of cute, colorful flyers in the host packet but I found that most hosts never looked at any of it and when I asked they said there was too much information. Now I ONLY use the Cooking Show Planning Guide. I add stickers and notes on it and refer to it during host coaching. The company provides one flyer that covers all the benefits and tips that I had on the other flyers and it's less work and ink for me (and they are absolutely FREE).

Again, I use what the company gives me saving time and $$ and makes my job look easy.

DITTO!! I was just about to write the same thing!

I do not use them either. I used to high light and try to host coach them with it but for me, it did not work.

In my experience, the phone or in person host coaching works the best. Getting them excited about the party whether it is because they are gathering their friends together and what a good time we will have or some are motivated by the products they will earn...whatever excites them.

Funny, I have some say..."oh, I don't really want very much"...sort of an extension of "I don't want to beg my friends for orders". So that is when I concentrate on what a fun time we will have and suggest either a dish, theme show or an alcohol based beverage (depending on the crowd). Then they are telling all of their friends to come over.

baychef said:
I do not use them either. I used to high light and try to host coach them with it but for me, it did not work.

In my experience, the phone or in person host coaching works the best. Getting them excited about the party whether it is because they are gathering their friends together and what a good time we will have or some are motivated by the products they will earn...whatever excites them.

Funny, I have some say..."oh, I don't really want very much"...sort of an extension of "I don't want to beg my friends for orders". So that is when I concentrate on what a fun time we will have and suggest either a dish, theme show or an alcohol based beverage (depending on the crowd). Then they are telling all of their friends to come over.

I totally agree. If you just give them the planner you might as well just toss it in the garbage. The conversation is the thing that makes the host excited and guides her on what to do. The planner is a REMINDER of what all we said and a worksheet that she can use.

Thanks everybody. I didn't find the PLANNING GUIDE to be very interesting and thought that perhaps I had just not realized its brilliance.

I put one in every packet too, but I just do it because I do, not really any reason behind it. :) I really don't see that it would make or break a show!

My hosts really seem to like the Planning Guide--I have seen numerous ones all filled out by the host. I try to complete the front page and give it to them to take home when they book at a party.

My recruiter had it in my host pack when I had a party, and a good thing too because she NEVER coached me. I called her to confirm, to set the menu, to tell her how many where coming. SO even if it's not great, its sure better than nothing.Thank goodness for this site. I have learned so much alreadyMarghi

Come work for Me Marghi :)

Question--for those who meet with their hosts and do the host-coaching in person, do you think that is more effective than over the phone? Or does it depend on the host, maybe?

Just trying to get a feel for some changes I'd like to make to make my summer more productive and profitable.

I do put the Planning Guide in the host packet. Not sure it makes much of a difference.

I like using it wen a guest books at a show when I don't have a host packet to give them. I can put all of their show info on it and coach them to start filling in the guest list.

I also use the Catalog Show Planning Guide in the Downloads section of CC.

tys1031 said:
Question--for those who meet with their hosts and do the host-coaching in person, do you think that is more effective than over the phone? Or does it depend on the host, maybe?

Just trying to get a feel for some changes I'd like to make to make my summer more productive and profitable.

I can not say that I do this much, it at all, because of working full time. But I would think that your excitement and the fact that you took the time to stop by would get your host more excited.

As a proactive stance - Does anything think that tucking the Planning Guide in a catalog might plant a seed for someone to host a show? i.e., to get them thinking about how easy it could be?

I think every one of you need to order & listen to the "High Impact Host Coaching" CD off the supply order.
nod.gif
When you are assembling your host packets, get out a ***red*** pen and write:
  • "Start Now, Wish BIG" (above the wish list section)
  • "Fill it up SERIOUSLY!" (above the guest list section)
  • "If you call them, they will come" (underline the printed word call & then write this below it)
  • Fill in your web address! Don't leave it blank!!!
  • Put a Dollar sign next to the kit buy down section
  • Put astericks next to every one of the host benefits
  • On the back, above the benefits section, write "This is our goal! Invite LOTS of people and you can achieve this!" Then put one circle around the $1,000 & $215 and another circle around the 4 & the 30%
It is imperative that you do use red! I'm stubborn & hard headed & tested blue ... it's not the same! Highlighters are not the same either ... tried those too! ;) Then watch your hosts eyes go directly to what you wrote in red! It really helps to have that there when you go over the aspects of being a host.
  • I point to the first section and tell them to make a big wish list & then put asterisks next to what's most important. It's better to have too much on the wish list than be frantically flipping through the catalog trying to pick more because you have a lot of free stuff left!
  • I then tell them that if they market to 6 people, they will get the results of marketing to 6 people. If they market to 40 people, they will get the results of marketing to 40 people.
  • I then point to the "call them" section and let them know that if they actually CALL the yes RSVPs 2 days before the show ... even if it's when they know that the person is not home & they are just leaving a message so that they won't be tied up on the phone for hours chatting ... and say "hey, I'm looking forward to seeing you at my Pampered Chef Cooking Show on Sunday at 2!", that it's a GREAT reminder for someone who said 10 days ago or 3 weeks ago that they would come to REMEMBER to come! ;)
  • I mention my web address and that it's on everything else in the packet too
  • I mention the buy-down option on the New Consultant Kit (although none of the 14 in my downline have ever done that ... they all choose to buy the kit outright & then take their kickoff show as their first show so they are the consultant & the host)
  • I point out all the various benefits that hosts get, explaining the booking benefit & the 10% off for a full year.
  • Then I flip it closed & point to what I wrote & circled, telling them that this is achievable and then let them know how many hosts I have who have done that THIS YEAR here on Okinawa. Knowing that it's possible, makes a huge difference in their outlook on whether or not they CAN do it themselves. Sometimes they just need to know that it's an attainable goal, before they will strive to reach it.
It WORKS!!! It has drastically increased my show sales. On average, I do at least one $1,000 or higher show each month. And I normally only do 2-3 shows per month. One host actually told me that she worked to hit the $1,000 level because I told her to! :D Another one hit the $900 range because she knew that I put my $1,000 hosts on my "news" section on my web page & was trying to earn her spot in my news section! LOLNEVER underestimate the power of persuasion! ;)

Thanks for this Sheila.... I'm going to try it with a red pen!

I put a show planning guide in all of my host packets. I've had some hosts use it and some not.... I've noticed that the ones that have used it have better shows than the ones that don't. I don't know if it's a combination of the type of person or the planning guide, but what ever works!

I sent out a catalog and a cooking party today with red pen suggestions from Sheila! It was good to write in the guest list area "copy of the guest list you sent is enclosed plus extra invitations for those you may have forgotten to invite."

And for the catalog party I also set a goal for that as well.

:love:Love you, Sheila!!:chef:

Thanks Ann! You'll have to let us know how the sales go on those two! ;)

Fabulous tips Sheila! Thanks! Going to share with the team.

Sheila said:
Thanks Ann! You'll have to let us know how the sales go on those two! ;)

I need to follow up with some GOOD host coaching as well!:blushing:

Yes, good follow up with the host makes a world of difference! ;)

Thank you for your tips Sheila!

You are welcome! :D

I have only had 1 or 2 hosts actually fill in anything on the guide. I put it in packets, highlited and refer to it. Maybe that red marker will do the trick.

tys1031 said:

A couple years ago I had 8 shows on my June calendar. I was doing a happy dance b/c I was sure I would make it to the highest level of free stuff. They ALL canceled or postponed! :cry::yuck: I had to make calls and give discounts just to get enough orders to stay active. I was stunned and knew I had to make a HUGE change. I started meeting my hosts is person, and my business made 180 degree turn. Meeting 1-to-1 makes all the difference, and a cup of coffee costs about the same as mailing the packet. (write off a latte -- YES!) :) I bet I have cut my cancel/postpones by 95%!

Sandi

sandilou said:
A couple years ago I had 8 shows on my June calendar. I was doing a happy dance b/c I was sure I would make it to the highest level of free stuff. They ALL canceled or postponed! :cry::yuck: I had to make calls and give discounts just to get enough orders to stay active. I was stunned and knew I had to make a HUGE change. I started meeting my hosts is person, and my business made 180 degree turn. Meeting 1-to-1 makes all the difference, and a cup of coffee costs about the same as mailing the packet. (write off a latte -- YES!) :) I bet I have cut my cancel/postpones by 95%!

Sandi

Obviously your hosts don't mind taking the extra time to meet in person?? Do you meet with them once, and then do the rest of the follow-up by phone? On that in-person visit, do you go over the 'call 1' host coaching stuff?

sandilou said:
A couple years ago I had 8 shows on my June calendar. I was doing a happy dance b/c I was sure I would make it to the highest level of free stuff. They ALL canceled or postponed! :cry::yuck: I had to make calls and give discounts just to get enough orders to stay active. I was stunned and knew I had to make a HUGE change. I started meeting my hosts is person, and my business made 180 degree turn. Meeting 1-to-1 makes all the difference, and a cup of coffee costs about the same as mailing the packet. (write off a latte -- YES!) :) I bet I have cut my cancel/postpones by 95%!Sandi

This is wonderful Sandi and it does make a difference. Between working full time and the long distance it is to everyone I can not do this very often. Keep up the great work!

Oh my gosh Sheila! Thank you so much for this post!! I just got out a red pen and did this to the planning guide for the host packet I was about to put today. Thank you for your optimistic and helpful post!

cheflorraine said:
Obviously your hosts don't mind taking the extra time to meet in person?? Do you meet with them once, and then do the rest of the follow-up by phone? On that in-person visit, do you go over the 'call 1' host coaching stuff?

I try to always meet in person with the hosts - it shows them your genuine interest in helping them have a great show! I work full time and have two small kids and still am able to find time to work these in, I make it a priority. I typically will meet them at a local cafe for a quick lunch over my lunch break or after work for a quick cup of coffee. I've never had a host balk at this - they're usually really excited and hey, they get free food (which I then write off!) I don't typically spend more than 20-30 minutes with them and basically go through the host packet, what I need from them, and tips for how to have a great party. I also take the opportunity to find out a little more about the guests and see how I can personalize the show to the group (highlight baking items for bakers, drinking items for drinkers, etc:)) The hosts seem to really like this. I tell them all that the difference between a $600 show and a $1200 show is them - I come and do the same show but their excitement will carry through to their guests and make all the difference to their show outcomes. I do the rest of the host coaching over the phone. Hope this helps!

So it's an old thread but who doesn't like to resurrect one now and then?
I bought my red pen today and after marking up one of the planners I really think it looks SO much better then the way it is plain. Thanks for the tips Sheila!!

It works I have done this on two diffrent parties and so far they have been my biggest shows. Plus I have started to meet in person either for coffe or just to "drop off" the hosts packet by there house. Dropping it off allows me to see the set up of there house and know how to get there, plus I usually end up talking about all the great products and I have found that those products that I highlight are sold often through the outside orders cause the host got excited about it before the show, dont wait to sell till you get to the Show!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• JennLizFran
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
JennLizFran
  • mrslulu2012
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • smartcookie