• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help a Single Mom Recover: Stolen Goods & Business Ideas

In summary, Kim had a show last Saturday and left her PC equipment and other items in her car while getting her son. When she returned home, she found that someone had been in her car and her DVD player and DVDs were missing. She later discovered that her products for a show and her bag with a few items were also taken. Kim is considering making flyers to distribute to her neighborhood, asking for any information and offering incentives for purchases or bookings. She is also working with her insurance company to possibly recoup her losses. Others have suggested notifying guests and filing police reports for the stolen show information.
chef_kimmo
Gold Member
To start I want to say I am aware of what happened previously so please don't start down that road but here is my situation....

I had a show last Saturday and went to pick up my son who was being watched by some neighbors. By the time we left the neighbor's house and got home, it was around 11:00 pm. I thought it is late and I am tired, I will unload tomorrow. I had left all my PC stuff in my car, my son's DVD player, computer, back pack from school, small portable radio, etc was all left in the car. I went in the house and didn't go to sleep for a while. In fact, I was dog sitting for both neighbors so I had a total of 4 dogs in the house (2 of my own and 1 from each neighbors house) NOT a peep from the dogs. I spent the day cleaning and doing other things and then was going to head to a subburb south from my house late afternoon on Sunday to pick up and deliver some PC products and have dinner with friends.

I went out to the car and someone had been in the car. Stuff was pulled from the compartments in the front and strewn around the front seat. (this had happened before but nothing was missing previously so I thought that was it). After I left the house and stopped for gas I realized the DVD player & DVDs were missing since I was going to set my son up to watch it. I got to League City & when I picked up the products I put them in the back seat and that is when I realized "OH NO, THEY TOOK MY SHOW TO GO CART FILLED WITH PRODUCTS TOO!!" My other bag & crate with a few odds and ends was still there so that is why I thought none of that was gone.

Ok, sorry for the very long story but and I am working with insurance to see if I can get anything recouped. It is very depressing as every time I turn around I realize something else that is missing out of the car.

This is where I would like some thoughts....
I am trying to approach this with the attitude of "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade" I am considering making a one page flyer and making say 1,000 or so copies and put on as many houses as I can in the subdivision. I am thinking I will put a description of what happened and ask that if anyone knows anything please contact me. Give them the truth that I am a single mom of a special needs child and this is my 2nd job. If they don't know anything, maybe they might be interested in helping me to recover from this. I would appreciate anyone who might place an order and would love anyone who might be willing to book a show. Possible put some incentives for purchases and bookings...

So for a very very long post - what do you all think. Dumb idea? Corny? A couple reams of paper worth giving a try? I don't know. I could even schedule an Open House after I return from conference.

Any other thoughts?

I'm sorry about your loss, Kim. My car was once broken into just outside my bedroom window and I never heard a thing. I remember how frightening that was to consider.

My first thought is for your show paperwork. Had you taken all of that in the house? That could include peoples' checks and credit card info.

I think the flyer idea is a good one. Insurance should cover your losses - after your deductible, of course.

Keep us posted on how this all turns out.

Hugs,

Good point on the show information Sandy - if it was in the car, the police and the guests should be notified so they can file reports too...

The show info actually was in the car but for some reason they didn't take that (thank goodness!). There was some other checks I had taken with me to deposit and those weren't take either (again thank goodness!)

I am in progress of working with the insurance company. Home owners is sounding like they will cover a lot of things. Not the DVD player, which is weird but it sounds like the PC stuff may be covered.

chef_kimmo said:
The show info actually was in the car but for some reason they didn't take that (thank goodness!). There was some other checks I had taken with me to deposit and those weren't take either (again thank goodness!)

I am in progress of working with the insurance company. Home owners is sounding like they will cover a lot of things. Not the DVD player, which is weird but it sounds like the PC stuff may be covered.

They were probably out for things they can quickly resell or use...paperwork probably might have seemed like junk to them.

I'd make sure to call HO Monday a.m., let them know what happened and find out what you can do when you go to re-purchase...

Who knows? Maybe they'll let you purchase at KE prices????

Kim,
I'm so sorry that this happened to you! What an awful experience. I hope HO will help you out. It's probably good that they didn't take the paperwork...can you imagine having to call the guests that ordered and tell them that their personal info was taken?!?!?! UGH! Hopefully everything will work out for you! I do like your idea about the flyers...let us know how everything turns out!!

OMG what a nightmare - I am SO sorry!!

I did call HO but only thought to ask about what our insurance covers. I never thought about them helping me to replace the products. I guess I should call them back again but I am not sure who to call...

pcchris said:
Kim,
I'm so sorry that this happened to you! What an awful experience. I hope HO will help you out. It's probably good that they didn't take the paperwork...can you imagine having to call the guests that ordered and tell them that their personal info was taken?!?!?! UGH! Hopefully everything will work out for you! I do like your idea about the flyers...let us know how everything turns out!!

I was so thankful that they didn't take any of the orders and show info. I had this twist in my gut like - OH NO!!! I was so happy when I saw they were still there.

I need to work on the flyer for the neighborhood - I may post it for suggestions.

chef_kimmo said:

The show info portion is a hard one. Even though the show info wasn't taken... did it appear to be disturbed? While the theif(s) would probably ignore it because it was just paperwork, but if they realized it was checks/CC#s, they could have copied that info down. Not likely, but if they paperwork appeared to be disturbed, you might want to contact people... just in case. If I was one of those people, I would want to know... just to keep a close eye on my accounts for a bit.

Oh it is so horrible when something like this happens. I've been lucky (knock on wood) that it has never happened to me. I hope that you get all your stolen items replaced.

I have no advice, only sympathy. Please keep us informed. I hate to say it, but it could happen to any one of us. Knowing how you handle things could help one of us one day.

I am so sorry to hear that! I hope you can get your stuff replaced!

Wow this stinks!

And to think I logged on todat to basicly "whine" about something trivial.

My thoughts are with you that it all gets resolved quickly!

raebates said:
I have no advice, only sympathy. Please keep us informed. I hate to say it, but it could happen to any one of us. Knowing how you handle things could help one of us one day.

Rae - your sympathy just isn't the same with Llama Mama staring you in the face with a big grin...it made me chuckle! :D ;)

Having a neighbor who kept llamas it's pretty funny (unless they spit on you!)...happened to a friend watching them and she was so mad at the llama, all she could do was spit back!

OK, end of funny story/distraction...

Hang in there, and if you need any creative PC recipes to make with what tools you have left pending getting replacements, come see this group...we always add our 2 cents! (Sometimes you get the whole quarter!)

janetupnorth said:
Rae - your sympathy just isn't the same with Llama Mama staring you in the face with a big grin...it made me chuckle! :D ;)

I believe that part of my purpose on this earth is to make people laugh.

I second the idea of letting your customers know that their information may have been compromised. I'd let them know that it appears nothing in my briefcase was disturbed, but wanted to let them know to be on the safe side, so they could keep an eye on things.

Thank you all for the advice. I need to finish up the pricing to everything that was stolen. I had contacted the home owners insurance company to see if anything would be covered. Another questionable if it would be covered. I am living in a house my mom owns & was concerned they wouldn't cover for some reason. So far it sounds like some things will be covered, mainly the PC products. (YAY!!)

I have not reported it on my car insurance and maybe I should but had a feeling it won't be covered there. I hope the home owners will cover the majority. Thank goodness the home owners insurance isn't terribly high.

How Would you....When I am reporting what is mising how would you report these....
I had a 2 of the bowls from the colored small bowl set and I had 2 of the mini square plates from the Entertaining set. Since I can't buy just the colors that are missing, would you list full replacement price?

Thanks,
Kim

chef_kimmo said:
When I am reporting what is mising how would you report these....
I had a 2 of the bowls from the colored small bowl set and I had 2 of the mini square plates from the Entertaining set. Since I can't buy just the colors that are missing, would you list full replacement price?

Thanks,
Kim

I would think YES - because in order to replace them, you would have to spend the full price again....right?

I would think along the same lines as Becky...in order to make yourself whole (get back what you lost) you would have to purchase all 4.

1. Can I use any type of cookware with "Your Advice Please"?

Yes, "Your Advice Please" can be used with any type of cookware, including non-stick, stainless steel, and cast iron.

2. How do I clean "Your Advice Please" after using it?

To clean "Your Advice Please", simply wipe it down with a damp cloth and mild soap. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or harsh chemicals.

3. Can "Your Advice Please" be used in the oven?

No, "Your Advice Please" is not intended for use in the oven. It is designed for stovetop cooking only.

4. Is "Your Advice Please" dishwasher safe?

Yes, "Your Advice Please" is dishwasher safe for easy cleaning. However, we recommend hand washing to prolong the life of the product.

5. How do I know when "Your Advice Please" is at the correct temperature for cooking?

"Your Advice Please" features a built-in temperature indicator that will turn red when it is heated to the correct temperature for cooking. This typically takes about 2-3 minutes on medium heat.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• minirottie
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
minirottie
Replies
Views
Stampaholic1961
Replies
Views
heather223