• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Religion Why Don't Mormons Drink Coffee?

In summary, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or the Mormon church, teaches that coffee is considered a stimulant and addictive substance that can harm the body and spirit. Drinking coffee is seen as breaking the Word of Wisdom, a health code followed by Mormons, and while there are some rare exceptions, it is generally discouraged and not allowed. This health code also advises against consuming alcohol, tobacco, and illegal drugs, and encourages a balanced and healthy diet.
scottcooks
Gold Member
I'm confused. A man I met at church today said he grew up Mormon and doesn't drink coffee. But doesn't the Mormon church own Coca-Cola?

:confused:

Nope, the Church does not own Coca-Cola. One of Coca-Cola's past CEO's was a Mormon. We don't drink Coffee, Tea (herbal tea is okay), alcohol, or use any form of tobacco. Caffeine isn't officially on the list, but most members of the church avoid it when they can.

Amanda thanks for posting =)

babywings76 said:
Nope, the Church does not own Coca-Cola. One of Coca-Cola's past CEO's was a Mormon. We don't drink Coffee, Tea (herbal tea is okay), alcohol, or use any form of tobacco. Caffeine isn't officially on the list, but most members of the church avoid it when they can.

Wow, thank you for sharing. I never knew this! I grew up in a small town with a large population of mormons. I have a couple of friends who will be getting married in the next year - never been to a "non-caffeine AND non-alcohol" wedding! :eek:

LOL Well, you never know...you may find some Diet Coke or Mountain Dew. :D Some do drink caffeinated products. My mom is addicted to Diet Coke. ;) She buys Caffeine free products for her home, but when she's out and about at a restaurant or something, she just gets whatever version the soda is there.But one thing's for sure...we DO eat chocolate! :D

LOL! I knew there had to be something you all could be addicted too! I have to say that those "Words of wisdom" sound like my doctor. They have proven health benefits in all that stuff except soda. But they all also have some very proven bad points. Neat info Amanda!

1. Can Mormons really not drink coffee?

Yes, it is a well-known belief among Mormons that they should not consume coffee.

2. Why can't Mormons drink coffee?

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, also known as the Mormon church, teaches that coffee is considered a stimulant and addictive substance that can harm the body and spirit.

3. What happens if a Mormon drinks coffee?

The consequences for drinking coffee vary among individuals and are ultimately between the person and their faith. However, it is generally discouraged and seen as breaking the Word of Wisdom, a health code followed by Mormons.

4. Are there any exceptions for drinking coffee in the Mormon faith?

There are some rare exceptions, such as using coffee as part of a medical treatment prescribed by a doctor, but in general, Mormons are expected to abstain from drinking coffee.

5. Is it only coffee that Mormons can't drink?

The Word of Wisdom also advises against consuming alcohol, tobacco, and illegal drugs. It also encourages a healthy and balanced diet, including the moderation of meat consumption.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Lisa Hartford
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • Tanya Becker
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
Stephanie78