• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why Do My Covers Come Out Orange/Brown???

In summary, when washing the covers of prep bowls, trifle bowl, and chopper in the dishwasher, they come out with a weird orange-ish/brown film. This does not happen to the speaker's mom's items. The speaker suggests using a dishwashing liquid with vinegar to get things whiter, and asks if leaving food on dishes, particularly tomato-based dishes, could be causing the issue. The speaker also mentions trying a plastic booster for stains and odors, but it would require running a separate cycle just for plastics. It is suggested that the lids may be absorbing something else in the load, such as remnants of tomato-based sauces. The speaker also mentions potential issues with hard water and excess copper or iron in the water. They recommend
redsoxgirl
I'm probably not supposed to put them in the dishwasher am I??

Every time I was the covers of the Prep Bowls, Trifle bowl and the entire Chopper, everything that was white comes out with this weird orange-ish/brwn film on it and I have to wash it all by hand. It only happens to my stuff, not my mom's (we live with her while we're saving for a house).

What's up with this???

I don't know the reason for your problem but I have started using a dishwashing liquid that has vinegar in it for getting things whiter. I don't know if that would help you or not.

Do you leave food on your dishes? Like anything tomato based on them?

jrstephens said:
I have started using a dishwashing liquid that has vinegar in it for getting things whiter.

Do you leave food on your dishes? Like anything tomato based on them?

Is it one you can just buy off a shelf or something special?

No - we're pretty good with cleaning stuff off dishes. I think our dishwasher just hates me ;)

I didn't think the lids for the Prep Bowls or the Trifle Bowl were to go in dishwasher. I'd be afraid mine would melt them or at least shrink them or warp them.

My hard water turns things funny colors, maybe your mom's water is hard??
Sorry not to really help with an answer.

Lisa

The Prep Bowl lids are not DW safe, but the Trifle Bowl lid is. That is so weird that it doesn't happen to your mom's stuff, just yours.

Cascade makes a plastic booster that is great for taking stains and odors out of plastic, but I can't see using it every time you wash. Especially because you need to run a complete DW cycle of just plastics.

The lids are absorbing something else in the load. You probably had spaghetti or a tomato-based sauce on something else in that load or a prior that didn't come out - been there, done that.Use the tips above and watch what you put your plastics in with...

...and for water...Excess copper turns things blue...
Excess iron turns things brown...

redsoxgirl said:
Is it one you can just buy off a shelf or something special?
I just bought it off the shelf withthe other liquids. It is Palmolive I think. It is really cheap. I was going through trying different ones to see which one worked better with me "hard water" and found this one. It works better for me than the expensive ones.

As for the lids melting in the dishwasher, I turn my heated dry off and then I don't have to worry about melting anything. So far, that has worked for me.

I thought someone mentioned that they restyled the lids for the prep bowls to be dishwasher safe? Sort of how they changed the lids for the stainless bowls but didn't promote it as being restyled?

I put my lids on the top rack and use air dry (no heat) so they won't melt.

I was thinking water. I used to work in a place where you never ever laundered your whites in town. You took them (I am not kidding) to the next town and did them at the laundrymat. Something about iodine added to the water turned all the whites a little orangey browny.

A couple years ago I used Cascade Orange...it turned my Mix N Scraper orange!
Are you using that dish detergent?
Home office told me to make a paste with dry dish detergent to scrub it clean...it didn't work for me...I got a new Mix N Scraper.

...and I never use Cascade Orange ever again!

Related to Why Do My Covers Come Out Orange/Brown???

1. Why are my covers turning orange/brown?

The most common reason for your covers to turn orange/brown is due to high heat exposure. When exposed to high temperatures, the plastic used in the covers can start to discolor and change color.

2. What can I do to prevent my covers from turning orange/brown?

To prevent your covers from turning orange/brown, we recommend avoiding exposure to high heat. This can be done by using lower heat settings on your stove or oven, and avoiding placing the covers in the dishwasher where they may come into contact with hot water or steam.

3. Can I still use my covers if they have turned orange/brown?

Yes, you can still use your covers if they have turned orange/brown. The discoloration does not affect the functionality of the covers, but it is important to note that the covers may not look as aesthetically pleasing.

4. Are there any other reasons why my covers may turn orange/brown?

Aside from high heat exposure, another possible reason for your covers to turn orange/brown is if they have come into contact with certain foods or ingredients, such as tomato-based sauces or turmeric. These ingredients can cause staining on the covers, but it will not affect their performance.

5. How can I remove the orange/brown discoloration from my covers?

If you would like to try and remove the discoloration from your covers, we recommend soaking them in a mixture of hot water and baking soda for a few hours before washing them with a mild soap. However, please note that this may not completely remove the discoloration and it is important to avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials on the covers.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• AnnieBee
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • gailz2
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
DebbieJ
  • Jilleysue