• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Who Here Does This Mostly for Hobby?

In summary, this person switched from a full-time job to a part-time PC business in 2004 and was fairly active until 2006 when they quit their full-time job and launched their own business. They have been too busy with their other businesses to stay active in PC. They say that if they stay focused on their part-time PC business, they will be able to keep their $200 a month.
lisacb77
I am contemplating a change from doing this part-time to VERY part-time, almost hobby like. Here's my story.

Signed in July, SS1 was August. Made all my SS bonuses & 2 plus bonuses. At the time I signed, there was some uncertainty at my day job with turnover in leadership and issues with my job assignment.

I started winding down my biz in November, knowing that Nov-Jan were going to be hectic pace at my job for a large project I manage. I did a cooking show that month and did a few holiday open houses with other DS vendors since...last actual business was really early December.

I have now made it to the other side of my large project. It came off quite well, so well that they are considering making it 100% of my job, which would be a promotion (working on one big project instead of two). If this comes through, there will be a lot of expectations in the next year to really make the project take off and justify the change.

Therefore, I know that I'm going to need to make the day job top priority in the next year and scale PC back. I do have about 3 bookings in the next six weeks, so I'm keeping those commitments. But I am wanting to switch to none or at most, 1-2 cooking shows a month and therefore, only 1 weekend a month out of the house on PC. I think this is what's right for me right now as this is a big move for my career and that is the point of PC right, you make it what you want?

Just wondering how those of you that handle this very very part time (almost hobby status as I like to call it) handle it. I do have these bookings and of course, still plenty of leads to follow-up from the fall. I figure if I spread these out enough it should be no problem to keep my $200 every other month and stay active. I also plan to try and push the big promos i.e. stoneware sales and discontinued items, new catalog, etc.

Another reason for this is that I kind of let PC take over my life last fall during SS, to the point where it was making issues with DH. A goal of mine this New Year is to make more time for family, especially to spend with him!

Would love your feedback :)

P.S. I also do have a lead on a fundraiser with a HS band, so I know that could turn into more biz later in the year as well to keep me a float!

I got into direct sales because my boyfriend ships out for 6 months out of the year, and I needed something to keep my mind in check. I just switched from Lia Sophia (miserable) for PC (had never been exposed to before I signed on with lia sophia). I love to cook, my friends call me Betty Crocker, so it fits perfect. I have an awkward work schedule. I work nights with Sundays and Mondays off. I do my shows on Sunday nights.

PC has been my "hobby" for almost 6 years. I have never had a problem staying active. I do mostly catalog shows. 1 show a month will keep you active. I make time to send out information to my hosts and guests each month, take orders, and hand out catalogs. I'm not getting rich, but I am getting everything I want at a great price and I am able to share my love of cooking with my friends and family. You can do it.

I don't think you will have any trouble. My SS month was also August and my last kitchen show was also in Dec so I'm in the same boat as you are. I'm scaling my business way back because I'm in my last semester at school and need to prepare my portfolio and concentrate on my internship. I plan on doing mainly catalog shows and only 1 or 2 of them a month. So far I have 1 for Jan, 3 for Feb and one for March. We can get through this together!

Step into my parlor :)

I started in April of 2004 and was fairly active until about spring last year 2006. I had quit my full time job in November 2004, and was full time PC... and also launched Tasty Tidbits in July of 2005. I was pretty busy with all that but I wound up going back to work in May of 2006 and immediately got tossed into a huge project (company merger) and I've been able to barely keep my Tasty Tidbits hat on, let alone my PC hat!

I submit just enough to stay active -- I still have a large email list, and customers will usually contact me every couple of months to place orders or do catalog shows. If I feel like I'm not going to get my order in, I will offer an incentive like giving 20% off. It's worth my commission to retain the other benefits of being a consultant, and I don't do it all the time.

Best of all, I know that this business will be waiting for me to jump back into it full time when it's the right time for me, but also flexible enough to take a backseat to everything else going on in life!

That's the beauty of this biz Lisa! You can fit it into YOUR life, however much or little as that might be. Do what works best for you, and everything will work out okay!:)

Thanks ladies, you have made me feel better about this! I thought the same, one show a month (catty or cooking) should be enough to keep me active. I do plan to offer to catty hosts if they get $500 in sales and/or two bookings I'll give them cooking show credit (who doesn't want another $15 free?!).

Yes, Joy I agree...sometimes the bigger picture of keeping status is worth giving more and I bet the customers would love it!

Thanks again everyone. Now, keep your fingers crossed that they give me the project at work :D

Related to Who Here Does This Mostly for Hobby?

1. Who typically joins Pampered Chef as a hobby?

Many people join Pampered Chef as a hobby because they have a passion for cooking and want to share it with others. Others join because they want to earn some extra income while doing something they enjoy.

2. Do I need to have any specific skills or experience to join as a hobby?

No, you do not need any specific skills or experience to join Pampered Chef as a hobby. We provide training and support for all of our consultants, so anyone can be successful with us.

3. How much time do I need to commit as a hobbyist consultant?

The amount of time you commit is entirely up to you. You can choose to host a few parties a month or just a couple each year. It's completely flexible and can fit into your schedule.

4. Can I still earn rewards and benefits if I join as a hobbyist consultant?

Absolutely! As a Pampered Chef consultant, you have the opportunity to earn rewards and benefits, no matter if you join as a hobbyist or as a career consultant. It's a great way to get discounted products and have fun doing it.

5. Is there a membership fee to join as a hobbyist consultant?

There is a small fee to join as a consultant, but it includes your starter kit with all the essential tools and products you need to get started. Plus, you have the potential to earn back that fee and more through your sales and rewards.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• NooraK
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
pchockeymom
  • Cindy T
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • BeckyT@23