• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Where can I find good kosher wine in NJ and MA?

In summary, the conversation discusses various recipes that use wine as an ingredient, such as Beef Burgundy, Quick Homemade Spaghetti Sauce, Chicken Marsala, and Whitefish Baked Scampi. The recipes all call for different types of wine, such as dry red wine or Marsala wine, and offer alternatives if the specific type is not available. The conversation also mentions the difficulty of finding good organic or kosher wines, and someone offers a suggestion for where to find them.
ChefBeckyD
Gold Member
Here are some great recipes using wine - from a discussion that started on the Chicken Parmesan Thread!

BEEF BURGUNDY

NGREDIENTS

* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 2 pounds round steak, cut into small pieces
* 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 2 cups beef broth
* 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
* 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
* 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 2 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
* 3 onions, sliced

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large stock pot over medium/high heat, heat the oil and add the beef pieces. Sprinkle the flour over the beef. Brown the meat on all sides.
2. Pour in broth and red wine. Sprinkle in salt, marjoram, thyme and black pepper.
3. Bring to a boil. Cover, and reduce heat. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until beef is tender, stirring occasionally.
4. Add mushrooms and onions to the pot. Liquid should just cover everything. If necessary, add some more wine to cover. Cook until onions are limp.

This is best served with Wide Egg Noodles

Quick Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

1 Jar Spaghetti Sauce (I use Prego Organic Basil & Tomato - but any kind will work)
8 oz. fresh mushrooms, chopped
1/2 Cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 C. Marsala or Chianti Wine
1 Tsp. Italian Seasoning Blend
1 Tbl. Brown Sugar
1/2 t. black pepper.

Saute' mushrooms, onion and garlic in a bit of olive oil in a large saucepan. Add wine, herbs, brown sugar & pepper. Then add spaghetti sauce and simmer for 30 minutes. (you can simmer for less if you need to)

Chicken Marsala

INGREDIENTS

* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
* 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
* 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
* 1/2 cup Marsala wine

DIRECTIONS

1. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, garlic salt, pepper, and oregano. Dredge chicken in the mixture to lightly coat.
2. Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry the chicken in the skillet for 2 minutes, or until lightly browned on one side. Turn chicken over, and add mushrooms. Cook about 2 minutes, until other side of chicken is lightly browned. Stir mushrooms so that they cook evenly.
3. Pour Marsala wine over the chicken. Cover skillet, and reduce heat to low; simmer for 10 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.

Whitefish Baked Scampi
– serves 4

1 ½ - 2 lbs Whitefish Fillets
1 teaspoon olive oil
3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 Tablespoons white wine
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1-2 garlic cloves, pressed
1 ounce parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons parsley, minced

Squeeze lemon juice. In measuring cup or small bowl, combine lemon juice, wine, pressed garlic, and oil. Let sit for 10 minutes. With 1 tsp. olive oil, coat bottom of freezer container or baking dish and place whitefish on top. Pour lemon mixture over top of fish. Grate cheese over top, and sprinkle with parsley. If freezing, cover fish and place in freezer. May be baked from frozen. Preheat oven to 350◦, and place fish, uncovered, in oven. Bake for 30 minutes or until fish flakes when pricked with a fork. If baking immediately, bake for 10 – 15 minutes (depending on thickness of filets)

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Oh, and Tasha - if you can't find a decent Burgundy (especially kosher) than, any good dry red wine will work great! A Merlot, perhaps?I know about having a hard time finding good wines - because I try to find organic....which is hard here in W. MI!

Great, good merlots are easier to find. Thanks for the advice. I love chicken marsala and will have to look for some marsala wine the next time I'm in the good kosher wine store. Thank you so much for the recipes as I've been looking for something more interesting to do with cooking for friday night dinners.

Hey, I know where you can get good wine. :D

yummy4tummy said:
Hey, I know where you can get good wine. :D

Good kosher wine? Where? I'm in NJ but also travel to MA regularly.

1. Can I use any type of wine for cooking?

Yes, you can use any type of wine for cooking as long as it is not labeled as cooking wine. However, keep in mind that the flavor and intensity of the wine will affect the overall taste of the dish.

2. How much wine should I use in a recipe?

The amount of wine to use in a recipe varies depending on the type of dish and personal preference. As a general rule, start with a small amount (1/4 cup) and add more if needed. It's always easier to add more wine than to take it out.

3. Do I need to use expensive wine for cooking?

No, you do not need to use expensive wine for cooking. In fact, using a cheap wine may be better as it will have a more concentrated flavor due to the higher alcohol content.

4. How do I know which type of wine to use for a specific dish?

As a general rule, use white wine for light dishes such as fish and chicken, and red wine for heartier dishes like beef and stews. However, feel free to experiment and see which wine pairs best with your dish.

5. Can I substitute wine with another ingredient in a recipe?

Yes, you can substitute wine with other ingredients such as broth, fruit juice, or vinegar. However, keep in mind that the flavor of the dish may be slightly different. It's best to use a substitute that complements the other ingredients in the recipe.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci