• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Is the Best Knife for Cutting/Peeling Apples and Potatoes

for me...are just too bulky. I really like our FC paring knife, but I think she might prefer one of the other ones.The forged cutlery utility knife is my favorite for just about everything, but I like the serrated peeler for peeling - I rarely peel with a knife.I agree with ya Becky... I have 3 of the forged cutlery utility knives.. that way my son and I don't fight over them when in the kitchen.. (1 stays in my bag and 2 in the kitchen. :) )What about the Quikut paring knives? I just got mine the other day so I have not tried them out yet, but I have heard many customers rave about
Nep2nfly
Hi, I'm new and have a customer who recently purchased the color coated paring knife. She says it's fine but she is looking for something that will better peel and cut apples and potatoes. She is very clear that she wants it to be a knife. Which knife would be the best for her? I was thinking the forged cutlery paring knife - but if it's the same type of knife - will she still be dissatisfied?

N

She would have to see them and try them out herself to determine that, probably. Everyone is different with what kind of knife they like best.

My favorite for just about everything is the forged cutlery utility knife...but I like the serrated peeler for peeling - I rarely peel with a knife.

I agree with ya Becky... I have 3 of the forged cutlery utility knives.. that way my son and I don't fight over them when in the kitchen.. (1 stays in my bag and 2 in the kitchen. :) )

What about the Quikut paring knives? I just got mine the other day so I have not tried them out yet, but I have heard many customers rave about them.

I also prefer the forged cutlery Utility Knife. It is my favorite go to knife for so many things!!

I love the utility knife, but for peeling the skin off an apple, I'd use our FC Paring knife. I first use the Apple Wedger, then I peel the skin. It's a lot easier that way.

I'd say FC paring knife too. I LOVE my utility knife, but I think it's too big for peeling apples etc. But I agree with Becky, if possible let her try yours out and see which she likes best. It will be good customer service, she'll be happy knowing exactly what she's ordering. And who knows, she may just choose more than one! :)

I love the utility knife ... but would NEVER use a knife for peeling. That's why I don't have paring knives except for the quickcut kind ... and won't slice the apples or potatoes w/them

I second the quikut. My mother loves peeling with those things. I think our Forged are too bulking for peeling, plus I would really worry about slicing my finger off if I was peeling up against my thumb. But would second the serrated Peeler too, if she weren't so against it. Love that thing - peels peaches fabulously.

Quikut!!!!!

Jennifer E said:
What about the Quikut paring knives? I just got mine the other day so I have not tried them out yet, but I have heard many customers rave about them.

I guess I am in the minority. I prefer the color coated paring knife for peeling apples. My hands are small and the FC knife feels too bulky in my hand to get a good grip on the knife and the apple at the same time.
As for the QK... people buy them but I NEVER talk about them except to suggest them for a stocking stuffer or an add on to get to the $60.00 if someone is close. My strict rule of thumb.. if it's $10.00 or less.. NO airtime.

beckyjsmith said:
I guess I am in the minority. I prefer the color coated paring knife for peeling apples. My hands are small and the FC knife feels too bulky in my hand to get a good grip on the knife and the apple at the same time.
As for the QK... people buy them but I NEVER talk about them except to suggest them for a stocking stuffer or an add on to get to the $60.00 if someone is close. My strict rule of thumb.. if it's $10.00 or less.. NO airtime.

Totally agree! I'd never suggest it!

I LOVE the FC knife, but I'd never use it for peeling. I don't use a knife for peeling - I'm totally sold on the serrated peeler.

Maragib said:
I second the quikut. My mother loves peeling with those things. I think our Forged are too bulking for peeling, plus I would really worry about slicing my finger off if I was peeling up against my thumb.

But would second the serrated Peeler too, if she weren't so against it. Love that thing - peels peaches fabulously.

I use the petite forged cutlery paring knife for peeling all the time! It doesn't feel bulky to me... just my opinion though!

My husband says the 5" santoku is the best knife we have!

Size of hand=comfort with knife. Try to get her to forged cutlery, but let her try some of your or your director's knives so she can choose for herself. She will appreciate the careful and personal attention.

She has tiny hands - I'm afraid the forged cutlery knifes are a bit too thick handled - that's why she doesn't like the color coated - what about the self-honing paring knife? She mentioned the quikcut - but I think those were too tiny for her. She is a picky customer - but she spends a lot of money - so I'm definitely going to cater to her needs. Since I'm still new, I will probably order one of the self-honing knives and let her try it.

You could also remind her about our great return policy. She can have 30 days to try it out and if she isn't pleased with it, she can exchange it for something else or just flat out return it. :D

1. What is the best knife for cutting apples and potatoes?

The best knife for cutting apples and potatoes is a paring knife. Paring knives are small and have a pointed tip, making them perfect for precision and detail work such as peeling, coring, and slicing fruits and vegetables.

2. Why is a paring knife the best choice for cutting apples and potatoes?

Paring knives have a sharp, thin blade that allows for precise cuts and minimal waste when cutting apples and potatoes. The pointed tip also makes it easier to remove any imperfections or blemishes on the surface of the fruit or vegetable.

3. Can I use a chef's knife or utility knife to cut apples and potatoes instead?

While a chef's knife or utility knife can certainly be used to cut apples and potatoes, a paring knife is the best choice for these specific tasks. Paring knives are designed for smaller, more delicate jobs and will give you more control and precision when cutting fruits and vegetables.

4. Are there any other benefits to using a paring knife for cutting apples and potatoes?

Aside from being the best tool for the job, paring knives also have a comfortable and ergonomic handle that allows for a better grip and more control when cutting. They are also lightweight and easy to maneuver, making them ideal for cutting through tough apple and potato skins.

5. How can I maintain the sharpness of my paring knife when using it to cut apples and potatoes?

To maintain the sharpness of your paring knife, it is important to properly care for it. Always hand wash your knife and dry it immediately after use. Avoid cutting on hard surfaces such as plates or countertops, as this can dull the blade. Regularly sharpen your knife with a honing steel or bring it to a professional for sharpening if needed.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
quiverfull7
  • KivaSlade
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
mrshamel3808
Replies