• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Forged Knife Is Best for Meat?

I use the 5" Utility knife and the boning knife a lot. I like that the Utility knife is a smaller size but can still handle heavy duty tasks.I use a variety of knives in the kitchen. My go-to knife is the 5" Santoku and if I need a larger one I grab the 7" Santoku. I really don't care for the chef's knife but we all have our preferences.I like the boning knife for meat. I got my set from my show in June at 1/2 price.
ChipLines
Gold Member
I had a guest who asked what knife is best for cutting meat. Not cooked meat - but rather uncooked meat. Her husband likes to cut up meat - but doesn't want to use the boning knife (which I suggested). She said that none of the descriptions say anything about meat. Help - suggestions - experience? :chef:

Chef's knife is what we use. Best all around knife, period. We have 2.

I love to use the Santoku knife. If they prefer a smaller knife in their hands, then a utility knife is also good. I'd think most people would use the Santoku, Chef, or Utility knife.

I buy butterfly pork chops & still like to trim fat. I use the 5" Utility for that. LOVE it! :D

My go to knife is the 5" santuko and if I need a larger one I grab the 7" santuko. I really don't care for the chef's knife but we all have our preferences.

I love the boning knife for meat. I got my set from my show in June at 1/2 price.

I do have a problem with my paring knife. It has several chips in the blade.

Anysone else have that problem.

Chefgailb said:
I love the boning knife for meat. I got my set from my show in June at 1/2 price.

I do have a problem with my paring knife. It has several chips in the blade.
Anysone else have that problem.

Call HO and do an adjustment. They will replace it.

I was doing a little reconnaissance at William Sonoma a few years back when I happened to overhear an employee selling knives to a customer. He said that a Santuko knife is the best for meat because the little divots (grantons) create an air pocket between the food and the blade and act as little air ball bearings. Those little air ball bearings make a huge difference when slicing raw meat because they cut down on resistance and make a Santuko slice through meat like a hot knife through butta.

I like using the 7" Santoku or the Utility for cutting meat, and the boning knife for boning.

my chef's knife is my workhorse, I use it for everything

Thanks - really appreciate your replies!

Yup - I love the Santoku (I use it a bunch when I'm making soup) but the workhorse in the kitchen is the chef's knife. Keep it sharp - that's the secret - use the hone before slicing meat.

1. What is the best type of steel for a forged meat knife?

The best type of steel for a forged meat knife is high carbon stainless steel. This type of steel is durable, resistant to corrosion, and holds a sharp edge for a longer period of time.

2. What is the difference between a fully forged and partially forged meat knife?

A fully forged meat knife is made from a single piece of steel, while a partially forged knife has a blade that is attached to a handle separately. Fully forged knives are generally considered to be of higher quality and have a better balance and weight distribution.

3. Can I use a forged meat knife for other tasks besides cutting meat?

Yes, a forged meat knife can be used for a variety of tasks in the kitchen, such as slicing vegetables, fruits, and bread. However, it is important to properly care for and maintain the knife to ensure it stays sharp and in good condition.

4. What is the best length for a forged meat knife?

The best length for a forged meat knife varies depending on personal preference, but a good range is between 8-10 inches. This length allows for versatility in cutting different sizes and types of meat.

5. How often should I sharpen a forged meat knife?

The frequency of sharpening a forged meat knife depends on how often it is used and the type of cutting board it is used on. As a general rule, it is recommended to sharpen the knife every 1-2 months to maintain its sharpness and edge.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• tmseiling
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
tmseiling
Replies
Views
lt1jane
  • Nep2nfly
  • Products and Tips
Replies