• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What is the best eyeliner brand and type for a beginner?

In summary, the eyeliner brand that the speaker recommends is the Almay liner, which needs to be sharpened with a pencil. The type of eyeliner the speaker prefers is a crayon pencil. For eyebrows, she lightly fills them in with a light hand and uses an older woman's trick of filling in the brows starting from the inner corner and working out. Finally, she recommends using Glimmersticks from Avon.
kcjodih
Gold Member
Which eyeliner brand do you use? And is it a pencil that needs sharpening, self sharpening pencil, or a liquid?

I've ALWAYS wanted to use eyeliner, just sparingly but don't know what or how to use it! I don't have a mother or sisters to ask and none of my friends bother with it.

Could anyone who wears it regularly or semi-regularly and knows what they're doing recommend a brand and type (liquid or pencil)? I tried when I was younger and almost poked my eyes out LOL and then within hours looked like a raccoon anyway as it all ran and smudged!

I know this isn't a life important issue but I feel like it's such a family here it would be the perfect place to ask.

I don't wear it a lot, but I really like the CoverGirl liner that has a little smudger thingee on the end of it. It does need to be sharpened. I like the smudger because you can smudge the imperfect line to look good.

Jodi...wish I could help you! I don't bother with it, either. I usually use a darker shadow and apply it to the very bottom of my lid (right next to my lashes) and if I want it on the bottom, I just add some there, too...as close to my bottom lashes as I can (helps to look "up" while doing this one...) Then, I blend it in slightly with my finger or a q-tip so it's not such a harsh line.

One thing I have been doing for about the past six months is LIGHTLY filling in my eyebrows. They are pretty "bushy" but they are thin...filling them in very lightly helps to make them look full and helps to make me look younger. I saw this as a tip from some makeup expert on Oprah. Look at older women...most of their eyebrows are "thinning". Don't overdo it, though, so you don't look like my Grandma who PAINTS on her eyebrows and they look fake then!

Hope my eyeliner tips make sense! I do horribly with actual eyeliner, so that's why I don't use it....

I don't wear make-up much but when I do, I use eyeliner. I use the kind that is like a craypas...best way I can describe it that you turn to advance. It is softer and easier to use then a pencil you sharpen...most makeup brands have it. I like Almay.Also, my cousin always used to apply it IN her eye...I always do it along the edge under my eyelashes...I use a darker color, but lighter ones will actually look better and more natural.

I like a pencil for my eye liner. Right now I'm using one from Estee Lauder. I used to use liquid eye liner, I like it b/c I can get a really fine line....hmmm, it's been a while, I might have to get more of that one.

kcjodih said:
I need some makeup advice..
Whenever I have a big fight with someone, I let them cool off for awhile before I try to makeup.

I would recommend a MAC pencil. Liquid eyeliner is too harsh for most looks. If you have a MAC counter, ask them to help you out - they'll show you how to wear it best and help you pick a colour that compliments you.

Makeup... ahhhh I love makeup. :D
I definately recommend Bourjois eyeliner (and the Clubbin' Mascara, fwiw).

I use the bronze color, because I have red hair and brown eyes, so the gold sheen looks pretty. For you, depends on your eye/hair color. I put cream colored shimmery eyeshadow on the inner corners of my eyes and eyelids & upper brow bone, bronzey brown eyeshadow in the crook below my brow bone and line lightly all the way around where my lashes are. Then, blend with an eye brush, so it has a smoky look.

With this particular eyeliner, it doesnt go on too heavy, and when it's smudged/smoky, the luminesence is really pretty when the light catches it. :)

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P201724&categoryId=C105

i use the mary kay pencil that sharpens itself. ill probably never use any other eyeliner for as long as i live. sometimes when i run out before placing another order, i run to target and get something to tied me over. i end up throwing it away and going "naked" because i hate everything else!!

Pampered Laura said:
http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P201724&categoryId=C105

^ ive never used pampered laura's eyeliner but ive also never had a single bad experience with anything sephora. i wish there was one closer to me. :cry:

I love Avon Glimmersticks. Sort of like the Cover Girl ones mentioned above but they can be cheaper if you catch them on sale. They are the retractable kind, they don't pull at your eye, very easy to put on! I could never get those pencil types to work and liquid was too easy to mess up. I never wore eyeliner until I tried the CG one but I've stuck with the Avon kind because of the price. I do the saturn gray color. It's a dark grey that looks like a light black so you don't have the total painted on look.

thecougchef said:
i use the mary kay pencil that sharpens itself. ill probably never use any other eyeliner for as long as i live. sometimes when i run out before placing another order, i run to target and get something to tied me over. i end up throwing it away and going "naked" because i hate everything else!!

^ ive never used pampered laura's eyeliner but ive also never had a single bad experience with anything sephora. i wish there was one closer to me. :cry:
Hey Meghan! You can buy it online, and Sephora always has great sales and specials online! :D

I'm also a fan of Mary Kay. If you have a consultant nearby, she will help you and show you how to apply it too.

As a makeup junkie I love M.A.C. I use their pencil eyeliner when I want something light. Go to their counters they can def. help you pick the perfect color and show you how to use it. For years I used liquid eyeliner and loved it, still do, but I've fallen in love with Bobbie Brown Gel eyeliner. They have great colors and it stays put even in hot weather!

kcjodih said:
Which eyeliner brand do you use? And is it a pencil that needs sharpening, self sharpening pencil, or a liquid?

I've ALWAYS wanted to use eyeliner, just sparingly but don't know what or how to use it! I don't have a mother or sisters to ask and none of my friends bother with it.

Could anyone who wears it regularly or semi-regularly and knows what they're doing recommend a brand and type (liquid or pencil)? I tried when I was younger and almost poked my eyes out LOL and then within hours looked like a raccoon anyway as it all ran and smudged!

I know this isn't a life important issue but I feel like it's such a family here it would be the perfect place to ask.

I realize I've had a lot of jobs, but I used to be a make-up artist for Lancome. I would travel from store to store, and do events. I love Lancome's make-up and I even like most of Clinique's make up. Some other brands that I like are Estee Lauder- for the more seasoned woman. :)

Go to the counter of your choice and ask for advice. Most places will still do a make-over for free- of course they would like you to buy at least one product, but it is not manditory.

You will learn the ins and outs of make-up application. Also, Bobbi Brown has a book at Target about Makeup application and colors. It's in the book section. That is a wonderful book for beginners (sp?)

Feel free to PM me with any questions. I was also a certified make-up artist back in the day- so my advice is to get some help from a cosmetic counter at a department store and go from there. Origins, MAC and Prescriptives are also wonderful brands. MAC is a little funky- so make sure your person knows you don't like funky- they do have the best colors available!

Good Luck! :)

Winnipegk said:
I would recommend a MAC pencil. Liquid eyeliner is too harsh for most looks. If you have a MAC counter, ask them to help you out - they'll show you how to wear it best and help you pick a colour that compliments you.
Here is an interesting fact...
Liquid eyeliner should always be blended with the back end of a regular eyeliner pencil to soften the look.

Just like real estate is location, location, location....with make-up it is blend, blend and blend some more! :)

I love liquid eyeliner- but it does take some practice to get it right.

I switch back and forth from pencil, to creamstick, and cream in a "pot" (applied with a brush). Smashbox is my favorite makeup line and they make the cream one I like, that I apply with a brush. I guess the tip that I could give is to pull the eyelid taught as you draw the line with a steady hand. Also, short strokes help to not make mistakes. Whatever your prefrence, I recommend going to a makeup counter and have someone give you a lesson. You could also go to smashbox.com, they have tips online.

I love makeup... I was contemplating going to cosmetology school for a long while, just as something to do outside of being a SAHM. :D

Pampered Laura said:
I love makeup... I was contemplating going to cosmetology school for a long while, just as something to do outside of being a SAHM. :D

I think about it all the time too!

Pampered Laura said:
ChefClairissa said:
I think about it all the time too!
:sing:
Beauty school dropout,
No graduation day for you.
Beauty school dropout,
Missed your midterms and flunked shampoo!

Last edited:
The only makeup I wear usually is mascara and eyeliner-so I feel like I've tried a million brands. My favorite is the gel-I started with a sampler of 10 different shades from smashbox (bought it on QVC) and loved it. A friend introduced me to MAC a couple of years ago and now I have a half dozen of the little gel pots in different colors. THe gel really seems to stay-and it doesn't flake or get in my eyes. I used to have a horrible habit of rubbing my eyes all day long so I had no make up by the afternoon-I just don't do it with the gel.
Go to your favorite department store and try some!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Beauty school dropout,
No graduation day for you.
Beauty school dropout,
Missed your midterms and flunked shampoo!
*swoon* Frankie Avalon. I love Frenchy, I have pink streaks in my hair, too. ;)

I use Avon's eyeliner pen...it's easy and looks good!

I can only use the Avon pencil. Anytime that I try a different brand, I end up looking like I have been crying my eyes out for days.

I use Revlon ColorStay Liquid Liner in dark brown. The brush is firm, kind of like using a fine-line marker. I smudge it immediately with a cotton swab so the line is a little less defined. After a few seconds it becomes smudge-proof. It lasts all day. I really like it.

I use mary kay's too. I put my eyeliner on then use a q-tip to soften it up or straighten out the line on my bottom & it depends on how I feel that day as to how much or thick of a line I put on my top.

I LOVE my Mary Kay. I bought a cheap eyeliner not too long ago, and I swear I had raccoon eyes all the time. With MK it doesn't smudge.

Just my 2 cents.

I've always wanted to try MAC but have never been anywhere where I could find it. I'm overseas.....is there anywhere online to get it? Suggestions?

I use arbonne eye liner and I love it. I wear makeup all the time and eye liner is fairly easy, you just have to get used to doing it so you don't look like a street walker ( I recall the days in the 80 when our moms let us going out of the house looking like the Maybelline Monster in our electric blue and green eyeliner and mascara~yikes) I only use liner on the bottom. I used to work part time at a salon when I was pregnant to pass the time and we had make up artists and I picked up a few tips there as well. Some salons will help you if you ask. good luck :)

Pampered Laura said:
Hey Meghan! You can buy it online, and Sephora always has great sales and specials online! :D

i know! but if i go online to get my favorite mascara (bad gal lash) from sephora ... i end up buying WAY MORE than just mascara! kinda like when i decide i need more PC stuff.... :D

thecougchef said:
I use the Mary Kay self sharpening eyeliner too. And the mascara and eye makeup remover. I really like all their eye and lip makeup products.

I've always wanted to try MAC but have never been anywhere where I could find it. I'm overseas.....is there anywhere online to get it? Suggestions?

You can buy it alot of places online-just do a google search. Or there is always ebay, they always have someone selling it.

sfdavis918 said:
I don't wear it a lot, but I really like the CoverGirl liner that has a little smudger thingee on the end of it. It does need to be sharpened. I like the smudger because you can smudge the imperfect line to look good.
This is the one I use! I love it!

MK all the way
pamperedbecky said:
I use the Mary Kay self sharpening eyeliner too. And the mascara and eye makeup remover. I really like all their eye and lip makeup products.
I have artist written all over me, including my face... I love MK-- with a lot of gals here, this is soft and the color pigment is great! I have taken a lot of image consulting saminars and one thing that they always say is that the first impression sticks and that even if you are just running to the grocery store, to dress like you are going to be in front of a show... expecting that if you look great, someone will want to put you in their home in front of their friends. I went home after that seminar with another company and firmly committed to get rid of my frumpy clothes and be a professional example. It rings true for other businesses, as well as PC. Image makes a big difference. Even if you only have one nice shirt, that can be the one you wear going out. I had this happen just this week! It was spring break, I was in my PJ's and just wanted to run up the road to the park (presto chango) for a minute. I decided to just shower and get gussied up, just in case and wouldn't you know, I ran into a client! In the middle of the week at a park 30 minutes from her house! She started asking me about PC products and what it took to host a show! Would she have conscidered it had I just zipped out in my hot pink fuzzy slippers (as Cha- cha as they are!)?-- not to mention my very Punkey-Brewster hair? Just some thoughts that may have nothing to do with make up, but do... Oh yea, and I showered...so I didn't smell like old brie... :yuck: Did you know MK has yummy perfumes? :blushing: Heee Heee.

Clarins for skin care, Bobbie Brown & M.A.C. for color, NARS for brushes, grocery store for Maybelline mascara.

Mary Kay products made me break out when I was in college, well past the break-out stage. And since we're on a site that is focussed towards direct sales, may I add that PC doesn't require carrying inventory.

I have been very happy with Clinique.............

I too use the covergirl one with the smudger thingy. It's my favorite. I use the color slate gray. I have also used Mary Kay and Clinique and like their eyeliner as well, but they lack the smudgey thingy. I have found that if you put a little on the outside of your eye and smudge inward toward your nose, it isn't so dark on the bottom. I try to not look overdone. Also, I put it on over top of my eyeshadow. hope this helps.

sfdavis918 said:

I am reviving this thread to tell ya'll my new FAVORITE eyeline is the waterproof liquid eyeliner from e.l.f. -- someone posted a link to their sale a few weeks back and I ordered a bunch of stuff - it's all VERY high quality...and the liquid eyeliner ROCKS!

dannyzmom said:
I am reviving this thread to tell ya'll my new FAVORITE eyeline is the waterproof liquid eyeliner from e.l.f. -- someone posted a link to their sale a few weeks back and I ordered a bunch of stuff - it's all VERY high quality...and the liquid eyeliner ROCKS!

Carolyn, I wish I felt the same way about the ELF things I ordered. I should have known better than to stray from Lancome, MAC and Smashbox! Out of the $65.00 worth of products that I bought from that E.L.F. site, I'm giving everything away (including the brushes I bought) to my Mom and sister. I kept the lip and eye liners and the glosses that I bought- but I don't care for how powdery their bronzers, powders, blushes and shadows are-

I guess I learned a good lesson though. :eek:
I'm glad you love your items though...
I used to be a make-up artist wit Lancome- traveled to other stores for events, etc...so I must just be used to and partial to their quality. :)

My fav is the MaryKay BROW LINERs. They're much softer than the eyeliner pencils and smudge better when you want the smoky look. Also, a great tool to use for smudging (if you dont have the one pencil that already has one on there) is a wet q-tip. As someone said above, if you can find a consultant near you, she'd be more than happy to help you out, I'm sure. The other thing I like about the MK brand is that the tips are smaller than a regular pencil and they dont need to be sharpened. They advance with a small turn and they last for ever!! Plus teh brow liner colors are very neutral and natural. I love thema nd can't recommend anything else, simply because I use nothing else.
A great cross sell for this is the oil-free eye makeup remover. It is TOTALLY awesome. A dab will do you know matter how much you have on!!!

Best of luck with your new beauty venture! :) I'm sure your eyes will POP!

Last edited:

Related to What is the best eyeliner brand and type for a beginner?

What is the best eyeliner brand and type for a beginner?

The best eyeliner brand and type for a beginner ultimately depends on personal preference and skill level. However, many beginners find that a pencil or gel eyeliner is easier to control and less intimidating than a liquid liner.

Which eyeliner brand do you use?

As a Pampered Chef consultant, I am not able to recommend specific beauty products. However, I suggest doing some research and reading reviews to find a brand that fits your needs and budget.

Is it a pencil that needs sharpening, self sharpening pencil, or a liquid?

Again, this depends on personal preference. Pencils that need sharpening can provide more control and precision, while self-sharpening pencils are more convenient. Liquid eyeliner can create a bold and defined look, but may require more practice to apply accurately.

Could anyone who wears it regularly or semi-regularly and knows what they're doing recommend a brand and type (liquid or pencil)?

I would recommend asking for recommendations from friends or family members who wear eyeliner regularly. You can also try visiting a makeup counter or store and asking for a demonstration or recommendations from a beauty professional.

I tried when I was younger and almost poked my eyes out LOL and then within hours looked like a raccoon anyway as it all ran and smudged!

Don't worry, many people struggle with applying eyeliner at first. It takes practice and patience to perfect the technique. Start with small, thin lines and gradually build up to a thicker line if desired. Also, investing in a good quality eyeliner and using a primer or setting spray can help prevent smudging and running.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Staci
  • PamperedDor
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
lacychef
  • thechefofnorthbend
  • General Chat
Replies