• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What are the must-see places in Nags Head for a family vacation on the OBX?

In summary, Rose recommends visiting Pamlico Jacks for amazing food and the Wright Brother's Memorial for interesting exhibits. She also recommends Jockey's Ridge for activities and the Black Pelican for historical decor. For restaurants, Rose recommends Goombays, Mama Kwan's, Kill Devil's, and Dirty Dick's. Finally, for breakfast, Rose recommends avoiding any restaurants.
yankfan24
Gold Member
We are taking a family vacation to the OBX in July and I'm wondering if anyone has been to the Nags Head area recently and has any suggestions for activities, must-see or great food locations?

We go every year! There is so much to do, we love to tour the lighthouses, the closest one to you would be Bodie Island light :
Bodie Island Lighthouse
(My husband and I were married here!)check out these websites:http://sunnydayguide.com/outer_banks/ob_coupons.phpNags Head Outer Banks Vacations | Nags HeadYou will be a short drive from all of the outer banks, Kitty hawk, Kill devil hills, etc. I highly recommend trying the restaurant Pamlico jacks. It looks like a pirate ship and the food is amazing!http://www.pamlicojacks.com/Have a great time!Rose

We're headed to South Nags Head mid-July. Jockey's Ridge is a nice area with a huge sand dune. They seem to have activities there. There's the Wright Brother's Memorial and exhibit area, which we finally went to on our last visit. Dune Burger - little more than a shack - has a take-out window and a few picnic tables for burgers and fries. Don't plan on doing too much. Just relax and enjoy!

Becca_in_MD said:
We're headed to South Nags Head mid-July. Jockey's Ridge is a nice area with a huge sand dune. They seem to have activities there. There's the Wright Brother's Memorial and exhibit area, which we finally went to on our last visit. Dune Burger - little more than a shack - has a take-out window and a few picnic tables for burgers and fries. Don't plan on doing too much. Just relax and enjoy!

Becca, every year I say I am going to climb Jockey's Ridge and after 12 years going to OBX, I still haven't...I am not a fan of sandy feet ironically - lol

RoseAndrews said:
Becca, every year I say I am going to climb Jockey's Ridge and after 12 years going to OBX, I still haven't...I am not a fan of sandy feet ironically - lol

Rose, I know it's there. Not saying I've climbed it!!! Maybe this year. When we finally went to the Wright Bros. last time, it was one of the hottest days of the year. Just enough inland to not be breezy and cool.

We haven't been in a few years. Any restaurant recommendations that we can take the kids (6 & 9) to?

My daughter just had a pirate birthday party so we may investigate some of those activities for the first time. I usually plan every second of our vacations, but with OBX I just try to identify a couple of things we might want to do during the week. Mini golf and Dairy Queen top the list!

Pizazz pizza has pizza buffets that everyone loves, Barefoot Bernies ( where KITTY HAWK PIZZA used to be) had a game room on the top floor last yearI found this online:You'll find that most of the restaurants have kids menus except for the higher end places. Offerings are pretty standard - pizza, chicken tenders, spaghetti, sometimes hot dogs, fish/clam strips/ fried shrimp - the usual. Some places serve the kids meals on a frisbee that you get to take with you, and serve drink in plastic cups with toys - a shark filled with grenadine for a 'bloody' drink, a bendy alien...you get the picture.Some spots our kids like:Goombays - The decor here is fun - the dining room is set up like you're underwater, so you can see a surfer's arms and legs sticking from the ceiling, dolphins diving, jellyfish and sea turtles...and the back wall is painted with an underwater mural. No frisbees here, but a decent kids menu and great and interesting specials for the grown-ups. One of the appetizers is alligator bites if you and your kids are the enterprising types (tastes like chicken!) It's on the Beach Road.Black Pelican - the decor tends more towards the historical. Good food, great brick oven pizza, frisbees and drinks for the kids, interesting chef's specials. It's on the Beach Road right across the street from one of the beach accesses, so you can get views of the ocean from some of the seating.Kill Devil's - on the Bypass. Limited outdoor seating. I recommend it mostly for the great frozen custard, but the boardwalk fries are also good and they have multiple types of seasoning for them.Mama Kwan's has a kids menu and fun decor. Dirty Dick's is good if you like basic steamed or fried seafood - they do frisbees as well. If your kids are into the pirate thing, the Jolly Roger is heavily into that and Christmas decorations that stay up all year. We were not impressed with the food there, but it's definitely kid friendly - oh, and the menu leans Italian although they have a range of offerings.Breakfast - do not miss the Ship's Wheel! They are open only during the season - roughly May - October - and they only do breakfast. Since that's all they do, they focus on doing it as well as they can. The food is great, reasonably priced and the service is outstanding.Hope this helps...

We did climb Jockey's Ridge when my son was young. Loved sliding down it on big pieces of cardboard (bring your own). DS also got his first airplane ride there. ;-)
We actually stayed farther south around Murrell's Inlet (I think I am remembering the name). We love it.

We stayed on Hatteras about 7 years ago. I know we went to Kitty Hawk, climbed a lighthouse, and took a ferry to some island. It's been so long I can't remember what all we did. I did like the house we stayed in.

Becca_in_MD said:

Definitely doing the relax and enjoy part. Just looking for a few things to keep everyone happy. The kids ages range from 1 1/2 to 14. We are definitely doing the kites and my mother is a huge lighthouse fan. My father's one request was the Wright Brother's. Men will golf, women will shop. I just want to actually have time to sit and read a book!! To just NOT be at work for a week will be heaven. Thanks for the suggestions! We will be there mid-July also!

ARE YOU INTO KNITTING? Kill Devil Hills.... The BEST knitting shop around BY FAR is Knitting Addiction! Jeanne (the owner and also the local fire chief) is SO awesome, and can figure out your mistakes (not that I make many HA!!!), yardage, gauge, etc.! If you go there tell her Carol (The Pampered Chef lady) says "hi"

Oh, and get a Food Lion card! It's the only grocery store for miles, and restaurants are kinda scarce.

1. What are the must-see attractions in the Outer Banks-Nags Head area?

The top attractions in the Outer Banks-Nags Head area include the Wright Brothers National Memorial, Jockey's Ridge State Park, Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, and the North Carolina Aquarium at Roanoke Island.

2. What are the best outdoor activities to do in the Outer Banks-Nags Head area?

The Outer Banks-Nags Head area is known for its beautiful beaches and water activities, such as kayaking, stand-up paddleboarding, parasailing, and fishing. Visitors can also go on nature hikes, bike rides, and horseback riding.

3. What is the weather like in the Outer Banks-Nags Head area?

The weather in the Outer Banks-Nags Head area is typically mild and enjoyable year-round. Summers are warm and humid, with average temperatures in the 80s, while winters are mild with average temperatures in the 50s.

4. What are the best restaurants to try in the Outer Banks-Nags Head area?

The Outer Banks-Nags Head area is known for its delicious seafood, including fresh oysters, shrimp, and crabs. Popular restaurants in the area include Blue Moon Beach Grill, Sam & Omie's, and Owens' Restaurant.

5. Is it easy to get around the Outer Banks-Nags Head area?

The Outer Banks-Nags Head area is best explored by car, as public transportation options are limited. However, the area is relatively easy to navigate with well-maintained roads and plenty of parking available at popular attractions and beaches.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
Replies
Views
jcwarr
  • winklermom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
esavvymom