• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What are some other uses for a rice cooker? Like it or not?

In my microwave, 1 cup of rice with 2 cups of broth takes 5 minutes. Stir it before and after cooking. Tada! Perfect... not overcooked and not undercooked.In summary, the rice cooker can be used for many different things, from cooking rice to baking cakes. There is also a booklet that is available for download that has many different recipes.
its_me_susan
Do you love your rice cooker? What are some other uses for this?

Thanks!

Yes, I love mine. I baked a cake in it last night at a show...big hit!!! There is a thread on here now that has several different things you can do with the rice cooker.

Somebody made up a wonderful recipe booklet for it that I found posted on another thread,. It had cakes, mashed potatoes, spanish rice etc. in it. I have been giving a copy with every one I sell.

rice cooker plus bookHere is the booklet.

Attachments

• rice cooker plus.doc
    70.5 KB · Views: 386
  • Rice Cooker Book updated.doc
    105 KB · Views: 636
thanks for the files
pmprdprettyinsnj said:
Here is the booklet.

I opened the 2nd first :)

Liz

ps: I sort of made the Choc Hazlenut cake, but it came out too spongey, I didn't add frosting though, as I don't like sweet frosting on cake, I did however love the cake made at the cluster meeting and bet they made it with frosting.

I bought all kinds of cake mixes and have the rice cooker, guess I should give it another try and use frosting :)

The only dessert I make at my shows normally is the Warm Chocolate Hazelnut Cake!! It ALWAYS gets rave reviews!! I really don't use it for anything else, but I normally sell one at EVERY show!!

Love mine! I hate waiting for water to boil :)

I tried making a Lava Cake in it but it came out horribly wrong. I guess it would help if my microwave had a turntable in it, but half of it was baked, while the other side was very ooooeey goooey... I don't want to have to stop the time on the microwave every 30-60 minutes to turn the rice cooker. So I haven't bothered trying to make any other cakes in it since. But I do have to say that it makes great rice !!!

Cheers!

I love my rice cooker! I use it all the time... rice, hamburger, cake... just about anything!

I love mine, too. I must confess, though, I use it almost exclusively for rice. (Every once in a while I'll use it for veggies, though.)What I love about it is the convenience. I use milk in my recipe for white rice. Before my rice cooker, I was always boiling over the milk/water mix. (I get distracted easily.) With the rice cooker I put everything in, give it a stir, and pop it in the microwave. Tada! Perfect rice with no mess.It works really well for brown rice, too. I don't boil over my chicken or beef broth anymore.I've got to start paying more attention to what I'm cooking.

How do you make the brown rice? Do you have a special recipe and do you need to change the time?

We are trying to only eat whole grains and I would love to know how to make the brown rice.

Thanks,

Val

Rae how do you use it for veggies? I'd love to do this as I don't have any microcookers.

I use mine for mashed potatos most of the time! I love it!

I tried brown rice, but it did not work well. Anyone have any tips on this?

I LIKE mine, but the inside clear plastic cover does not stay in. If this was improved then maybe I would LOVE it!
Michelle:confused:

I don't think the inside cover is supposed to stay in.

So for mashed potatoes... how many can you cook at once in the Rice Cooker Plus?

I attatched the file I got this from, there are a few rice cooker recipes on there.

Mashed Potatoes

Peel and cut 5 potatoes into small cubes and place in Rice Cooker Plus. Add 3/4 cup milk and 1/4 cup butter. Microwave on HIGH for 10 minutes and then stir (open lid away from you for steam to escape), then put back in microwave for another 6 minutes. Depending on your microwave you may need to adjust the times. Mash potatoes with Nylon Masher. Season to taste.

Variations: Add 1-2 whole, peeled garlic cloves to peeled and cubed potatoes and cook as recipe directs. Add sour cream with seasonings.

Attachments

• rice cooker plus.doc
    70.5 KB · Views: 419
How do you cook hamburger (ground beef) in the cooker?

Has anyone ever cooked pasta in it? Also, what would the basic rice recipe be? I have only made cake in it but everyone wants to know these things!

pamperedval said:
How do you make the brown rice? Do you have a special recipe and do you need to change the time?

We are trying to only eat whole grains and I would love to know how to make the brown rice.

Thanks,

Val

Val-

I just make it like I do the white rice--2 parts liquid, 1 part rice. I use beef or chicken broth for the liquid. In my microwave, 1 cup of rice with 2 cups of broth takes 5 minutes. Stir it before and after cooking. Tada! Perfect rice.

lisacb77 said:
Rae how do you use it for veggies? I'd love to do this as I don't have any microcookers.

For fresh veggies I add a couple of tablespoons of water, any seasonings, and zap them. Frozen veggies you can do without water--just follow the rest of the directions on the package. I don't cook canned veggies, but I imagine they have micro directions, too.

jdavis said:
I don't think the inside cover is supposed to stay in.

I always use mine with the inside cover.

I use mine with the cover inside, but it does not stay inside the top when I take the top off, so, I understand that aggravation.

I have cooked noodles in mine. You know those flavored kind that come in the bag. I just follow the microwave directions. They taste the same as if I cooked them on the stove.

A customer uses hers to cook grits it and love them.

Love italthough I've never made rice in it - just cakes

i made rice once and it was terrible!
What is so special about the rice cooker? I find the only perk is the shape for the cakes. What is the clear thing for? why wouldnt oyu just make rice in the batter bowl?

I just dont get this thing!

sarahmarie said:
i made rice once and it was terrible!
What is so special about the rice cooker? I find the only perk is the shape for the cakes. What is the clear thing for? why wouldnt oyu just make rice in the batter bowl?

I just dont get this thing!

I'm so sorry. :( How was your rice terrible? :confused: Usually you just have to use 2 parts liquid to one part rice. Stir everything together. Zap it for as long as your rice package says for the amount you used. Fluff and serve.

I think the clear thing helps to keep some of the steam in. (Instead of just going straight out, the steam has to go through the hole and then sideways out the vents. Some steam is necessary for cooking the rice, cakes, etc.)

I don't think the clear part is supposed to stay in the lid. The instructions say to carefully remove it. I think it even suggests using the bamboo tongs to do that.

Last edited:
My rice was crunchy and not good. I had to re-zap it and it still wasnt good.

Do you leave the lid on for the cakes? I heard that it can explode if you do that.

I love the Rice Cooker!
I've also done vegies in it and I always use the clear lid inside. As I understand the clear lid is not supposed to attach to the black top. It is there to preserve the steam during the cooking process.
I also got some raw rice the first times I used it, but if you play with it, you'll get the hang of it.
Use the 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of liquid and microwave it for 22-22 minutes. Don't open the cooker right away, but let it stand for about 3-4 minutes. If you want a little flavor try putting 1/2 - 1 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of Country Crock, Margarine or Butter at the same time you put in your rice and liquid. Cook for 10 minutes and take the cooker out and give it a couple of whirls, but do not open it. (You will feel like if you were dancing the Cabbage Patch (late 80's dance).

I hope this helps.

ChefTS said:
How do you cook hamburger (ground beef) in the cooker?

Needed to revive this. So....how do you cook hamburger in the rice cooker??

I love the rice cooker. I have a host that has sold one to just about all of her family talking about it so much! She cooks quick grits in hers.

Related to What are some other uses for a rice cooker? Like it or not?

1. Like it or not?

As a scientist, it is not my place to have personal preferences. However, rice cookers are a widely used and convenient kitchen appliance that many people enjoy using.

2. Do you love your rice cooker?

Again, as a scientist, I do not have personal feelings about inanimate objects. However, I can appreciate the convenience and efficiency of a rice cooker in cooking rice perfectly every time.

3. What are some other uses for this?

Aside from cooking rice, rice cookers can also be used to steam vegetables, cook grains like quinoa or couscous, and even make soups and stews. Some models also have a slow cooker function for cooking meats and other dishes.

4. How does a rice cooker work?

A rice cooker works by using a heating element to heat up the inner pot and create steam. The steam then cooks the rice evenly and prevents it from burning on the bottom. Once the water has been absorbed, the rice cooker switches to a "keep warm" setting to maintain the temperature until you are ready to serve.

5. Are there any health benefits to using a rice cooker?

There are no specific health benefits to using a rice cooker, but it can make cooking and eating whole grains easier and more convenient. It also eliminates the need to constantly monitor and stir the rice while it is cooking, which can be helpful for those with busy schedules.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Senkimekia
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Senkimekia
  • freetofly06
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pjpamchef
  • SPAMSTIME