• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Using Baggie for Melted Chocolate/Ganache

In summary, every time I use a baggie to squirt melted chocolate or ganache, the bag explodes... every single time.
redsoxgirl
Everytime I use a baggie to squirt melted chocolate or ganache, the bag explodes... every single time.

Am I doing something wrong or does this happen to other people too?? :confused:

It doesn't look like a very good "tip" to guests when it's all over my hands!

Are you heating it in the bag? Because that would weaken the plastic. You also need to make sure that the hole you cut is big enough to allow the chocolate to flow.

chefann said:
Are you heating it in the bag? Because that would weaken the plastic. You also need to make sure that the hole you cut is big enough to allow the chocolate to flow.

Nope, I heat it in a different container and then transfer it to the baggie. I feel like the hole is big enough, but maybe it isn't.

Sounds like you're squeezing too hard. If the chocolate or ganache are thick (like they've cooled off), it won't come out quickly. And squeezing it harder to try to make it come out fast will just make it burst.

Look at the bright side- you can lick off your hand! :D

I definitely lick it off my hands when I practice at home, but I didn't think licking my hands at a show would be a good idea :p

I'm going to have to try some other stuff. I feel like the stuff is pretty runny and I'm not squeezing too hard, but maybe I've become Schwarzenegger!

Try heating the chocolate for less time...if it's TOO hot it will just weaken and melt the plastic bag.

Also, check the brand of plastic bag you are using. If you are using the ?-brand cheap flap fold sandwich baggies, they probably wouldn't work as well as a nice sturdy Ziplock bag.

And be sure you're not sealing the bag when you pour the chocolate inside.

redsoxgirl said:
I definitely lick it off my hands when I practice at home, but I didn't think licking my hands at a show would be a good idea :p
Yeah - licking one's fingers at a show is not a good idea. (I actually tell people that's the hardest part about being a consultant - not being able to lick fingers at a show.) I hope you didn't think I was being a smart-a$s about my suggestions, too. Sometimes things that are obvious to one person are not to another.

Try freezer bags. I know when I buy generic regular bags, they can be pretty thin but the generic freezer bags have a thicker bag.

redsoxgirl said:
Nope, I heat it in a different container and then transfer it to the baggie. I feel like the hole is big enough, but maybe it isn't.
Don't seal the baggie, just lightly twist the top so that when you squeeze the chocolate down through the cut hole it won't splooge out the top. :)

I am in agreement...either use Ziploc brand, or use a freezer bag. The only time I have had that happen to me, I was using a store brand ziptop bag! Ugh...what a mess! Thank goodness, I was at home and not at a demo!

You also really should not have to sqeeze very hard at all. If you have to, your hole may be too small or the chocolate too thick. You can even add a SMALL (1 teaspoon?) amount of veggie oil to the chocolate to thin it out.

HTH

It is always pretty runny for me ... maybe you're not heating it long enough?Also ... does anybody know whether you can make the ganache in the fridge instead of the freezer? High Maintainance Hostess was complaining to me that she doesn't have a big enoguh freezer ...

Looking for a recipe, but pretty sure it's not PCI just got back from my son's Cub Scout Christmas party and somebody had brought the most sinful treat...I'm sure I've seen it before or heard of it, but don't know what it's called or what the recipe is. I can identify most of the ingredients but not sure how it was assembled and quantities. Can you help?

It's got butter, saltines, brown sugar and chocolate and looks like it was made in a big sheet then broken into serving-size pieces.

I'd love to add this to my arsenal (I'm just not a "make it up by the seat of my pants" gal).

Thanks!

I just realized I didn't post this in the thread I thought...sorry! :)

You can always tape the corner and then cut it...that will reinforce the plastic. Ü

chefann said:
I hope you didn't think I was being a smart-a$s about my suggestions, too. Sometimes things that are obvious to one person are not to another.

No no Ann - not at all! Trust me, I've caught myself wanting to bring a finger of chocolate to my mouth at shows and had to mentally slap myself! LOL

Chefstover2 said:
I just got back from my son's Cub Scout Christmas party and somebody had brought the most sinful treat...I'm sure I've seen it before or heard of it, but don't know what it's called or what the recipe is. I can identify most of the ingredients but not sure how it was assembled and quantities. Can you help?

It's got butter, saltines, brown sugar and chocolate and looks like it was made in a big sheet then broken into serving-size pieces.

I'd love to add this to my arsenal (I'm just not a "make it up by the seat of my pants" gal).

Thanks!

Here is the recipe...they are super easy, and sooooooo good!
Make sure you line your stone or pan with foil for easy cleanup!

Saltine Toffee Cookies
Submitted by: Tracy
Rated: 5 out of 5 by 424 members Yields: 35 servings

"This is an easy to make but wonderfully delicious treat. We pack them in tins and give as gifts during the holidays. Use your favorite nuts to top the cookies."
INGREDIENTS:
4 ounces saltine crackers
1 cup butter
1 cup dark brown sugar 2 cups semisweet chocolate
chips
3/4 cup chopped pecans

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
2. Line cookie sheet with saltine crackers in single layer.
3. In a saucepan combine the sugar and the butter. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Immediately pour over saltines and spread t cover crackers completely.
4. Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top. Let sit for 5 minutes. Spread melted chocolate and top with chopped nuts. Cool completely and break into pieces.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2007 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com

Here is the link in case you want to read the reviews: Saltine Toffee Cookies - Allrecipes

Related to Using Baggie for Melted Chocolate/Ganache

1. How do I use a baggie for melted chocolate or ganache?

To use a baggie for melted chocolate or ganache, simply melt your chocolate or prepare your ganache according to the recipe. Then, spoon it into a small plastic baggie and seal it shut. Cut a small hole in one corner of the baggie and use it to drizzle or pipe the melted chocolate or ganache onto your dessert or dish.

2. Can I use any type of baggie for melted chocolate or ganache?

Yes, you can use any type of small plastic baggie for melted chocolate or ganache. However, it is recommended to use a sturdy, food-safe baggie to prevent any leaks or tears.

3. Can I reuse the baggie after using it for melted chocolate or ganache?

It is not recommended to reuse the baggie after using it for melted chocolate or ganache. The heat and moisture from the melted ingredients can compromise the integrity of the baggie, making it less safe for food use.

4. How do I clean the baggie after using it for melted chocolate or ganache?

To clean the baggie, simply turn it inside out and rinse it with warm water. You can also add a small amount of dish soap and gently scrub the inside of the baggie. Rinse thoroughly and let it air dry before using again.

5. Are there any other uses for a baggie when working with melted chocolate or ganache?

Yes, besides using it to drizzle or pipe melted chocolate or ganache, you can also use a baggie to store leftover melted ingredients. Simply spoon the remaining melted chocolate or ganache into the baggie, seal it shut, and store it in the fridge for later use.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• akrebecca
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
akrebecca
  • lauraP2000
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
lauraP2000
Replies