• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Usg Newbie Help Needed Asap Please

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of a kitchen tool called the Ultimate Slice and Grate (USG) and how to properly use it to slice cucumbers and other vegetables. The advice given includes using the appropriate blades, not forcing the vegetables with the food holder, and using the corer for seeding cucumbers. Other tips mentioned are using an English cucumber, practicing with other vegetables, and cooking bacon on stoneware. Some individuals have had success using the corer to create a v-shaped slice for dishes such as the Mandarin Pasta Salad. The conversation ends with someone asking a question about a term that was used.
kcjodih
Gold Member
HELP! I'm embarassed to admit that I've been with PC 18 months and only purchased the USG two months ago. Even worse I've NEVER used it. I would like to demo it tonight with a cucumber for the clubhouse chicken squares. Any advice? It says use the thin adjustable blade and that's all the recipe says. It also states seeded. So obviously I have to core it first but if I do, how will it stay on the food holder? Now I'm looking at the picture in the All the Best and the pic looks like it has seeds!!! So why say seed it?

Help!!!!!

Buy an English cucumber then you won't have to worry about seeding it first. Practice with your USG now!! Slice up a few onions, carrots, or whatever you've got at home. It is very easy to use and you'll love it! Just practice.

Thanks a bunch! I just tried the cucumber and a roma tomato. Cuke worked great with the thin blade, tomato only for the first half. Not sure what I did wrong - it was a firm one. But I'll keep trying. I appreciate the help :)

For the tomato, make sure you use the "v-shaped" blade. It was designed specifically for tomatoes. You can use the v-shape on other things (it's the one I usually use) but don't try to slice a tomato on the straight blade.

Do you have the corer? If so, cut your cucumber so the corer blade goes all the way through the cucumber and comes out the other end (you’ll have to cut the cucumber in half or thirds to achieve this). Then, run the corer down the middle of the cucumber to take out all the seeds in one fell swoop! Then slice the cucumber with the USG.

Two more pieces of advice: Don’t put pressure on top of the food guard (you sort of hang on at the sides) and don’t press hard when you’re slicing.

HTH

kcjodih said:
Thanks a bunch! I just tried the cucumber and a roma tomato. Cuke worked great with the thin blade, tomato only for the first half. Not sure what I did wrong - it was a firm one. But I'll keep trying. I appreciate the help :)

Don't push or force your tomato with the food holder. Let the USG do all the work and you be the guide. :)

Also did you use the V-shaped blade for the tomato? The V-blade is used for your softer veggies. It pierces the sides first making it easier for a softer item to be sliced.

Play around awhile. Just remember to ALWAYS use the food guard and keep ALL your digits (fingers) on the guard. I seem to stick my pinkie up (trying to be lady-like or something! :D ) and end up slicing the tip off all to often! The good news is: They grow back round again! :eek: :p

Lee Anne

I did that recipeAnd you cant use the USG after you've seeded the cucumber.. trust me..i couldnt! so I demo'd part of the cuke on the USG w/ seeds and the other 1/2 w/ the corer and sliced the cuke up. But if you were to use the other kind of cuke , then using the USG is really what you want. The corer isnt that expensive so who cares if they see that tool. KWIM?

Good luck!

I made the clubhouse chicken squares this week for a show and it went over very well. I did not remove the seeds from my cuc, but I did cut it into thirds before slicing. Also, I used the paring knife to cut my Roma tomatoes. You may want to grate most of your cheese in advance and just save a little to demo with the USG. Also, cook your bacon on stoneware (350 degrees for about 30 minutes). It's so easy and turns out great. Yet another use for stoneware.

Jeanie Gay

Whenever I do the Mandarin Pasta Salad (which is at almost every show) I use english cucumbers and slice it lengthwise and seed with the cooks corer and it makes a pretty v shape on the inside, I then slice the cucumber with ease with the USG...I do this all of the time with no problems.

I had no problemsI just made this tonight. I did core the cucumber and it fit on the USG with no problems!! Oh by the way the Mandrain Pasta Salad is delicious.

Theresia Aylward

I've got a ?? and don't mean to sound dumb.........but what is a
I use english cucumbers.....

I don't think I've ever seen on at the store, where in produce would they be?? I've only ever seen the "real" cucumbers.

Thanks,
Lisa

TinasKitchen said:
And you cant use the USG after you've seeded the cucumber.. trust me..i couldnt! so I demo'd part of the cuke on the USG w/ seeds and the other 1/2 w/ the corer and sliced the cuke up. But if you were to use the other kind of cuke , then using the USG is really what you want. The corer isnt that expensive so who cares if they see that tool. KWIM?

Good luck!

Hmmm. . .I core the cucumber and slice on the USG all the time.

No, the Corer is not expensive compared to the USG but at $10.25 it's a great add-on.

Lisa, that's not a dumb question at all. lol. English cucumbers are usually longer and more slender than the "normal" cucumbers. They are less bitter than normal cukes, and easier on the digestive system, as the seeds are so small it is virtually seedless. You can find them right in with the produce.. often with the already prepped or slightly higher priced things.. like pre-sliced mushrooms, fresh ginger, or organic foods. Just scope your shelves and you'll for sure find them -- I haven't been to a grocery store (or a super walmart) that hasn't had them. Pick the ones that have a bright firm skin.. No peeling or seeding necessary.

Sometimes English Cucumbers are shrink wrapped. Just ask your produce person.

1. What is "USG" and why do I need help with it as a newbie?

"USG" stands for "Ultimate Software Group" and it is a platform used for managing and organizing business tasks and processes. As a newbie, you may need help navigating the system and understanding its features and functions.

2. How do I access "USG" as a Pampered Chef consultant?

To access "USG" as a Pampered Chef consultant, you will need to log in to your Consultant Workstation (CWS) account. From there, you can click on the "USG" tab to access the platform.

3. Can I customize my "USG" dashboard?

Yes, you can customize your "USG" dashboard to display the information and tasks that are most relevant to you. Simply click on the "Customize" button on your dashboard and select the widgets you want to add or remove.

4. How do I add a new customer or host to "USG"?

To add a new customer or host to "USG", go to the "Contacts" tab and click on "Add Contact". From there, you can enter their information and save it to your contacts list.

5. Is there a way to track my sales and orders on "USG"?

Yes, "USG" has a feature called "Order Entry" where you can track your sales, orders, and commissions. You can also view reports and analytics to track your progress and identify areas for improvement.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcjodih
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
jdavis
  • pchefinski
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
pchefinski
  • kcjodih