• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

United Airlines Baggage Policy and Fees Update for Travel on or After August 18

In summary, United Airlines has announced changes to their checked baggage policy and fees, which will go into effect on or after August 18, 2008. This includes a $15 service fee for the first checked bag for tickets purchased on or after June 13, 2008. Additional fees will also apply for excess, oversized, and overweight baggage. These changes have caused dissatisfaction among customers and may lead to more people attempting to bring oversized bags as carry-ons to avoid the fees.
cmdtrgd
Gold Member
This is just wrong! To have to pay for your FIRST bag?!?!?

Updated policy and fees apply to travel on or after August 18

Dear Mrs. Kate Jensen,

Before your next trip with us, we would like you to know about changes to our checked baggage policy and revised fees for excess, overweight, oversized baggage and special items, effective for travel on or after August 18, 2008.

If you purchase a United Economy® ticket on or after June 13, 2008 for travel on or after August 18, 2008, a $15 service fee will apply, each way, to check your first piece of baggage. This fee applies to travel within the United States, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada.

As previously announced, a $25 fee will apply to check a second bag when flying on a ticket purchased on or after February 4, 2008. Please refer to the chart below to see which checked baggage fees may apply to you.

Checked baggage fees summary
If you purchased tickets... and are traveling... the following fees apply to check bags
First bag Second bag
Before February 4, 2008 Anytime $0 $0
Between February 4, 2008 and June 12, 2008 Anytime $0 $25
On or after June 13, 2008 Between June 13, 2008 and August 17, 2008 $0 $25
On or after June 13, 2008 On or after August 18, 2008 $15 $25

We would like to remind you that additional baggage fees apply to check more than two bags, or if any bags are oversized, overweight and/or considered special items. These fees are also changing and the revised fees will apply to tickets purchased on or after June 13, 2008 for travel on or after August 18, 2008. Please visit the Oversized, overweight and excess baggage and Special items sections on united.com for details on these fees.

You will be exempt from the first and second checked bag service fees if you are:

* traveling in United First® or United Business®
* traveling on the same reservation as a Global ServicesSM, Mileage Plus® 1K®, Premier Executive®, Premier® or Premier Associate® member or Star Alliance® Gold or Silver member
* military personnel traveling on orders

To help facilitate a speedy check-in for you, we are working on a convenient option of pre-paying for checked baggage fees when checking in online with bags, using EasyCheck-in OnlineSM. We will provide more information on the availability of this functionality later in the year.

For details on our baggage policies and frequently asked questions, we invite you to visit united.com/baggage.

We thank you for your business and look forward to welcoming you onboard soon.

That IS just wrong! It might be cheaper to Fed Ex your baggage! (Although they have a history of losing things...) I'd call the 1-800 number and have them waive it or threaten to cancel your airfare!

Luckily it won't apply to my flight to NC....I might have to get my flight to Leadership asap so I don't have to pay for that, too! I really like United and fly with them whenever I can, so I just need to get my status higher....still doesn't seem fair, though!

That's absolutely disgusting.
I am flying United to NC and booked in March. According to what I am reading my first bag is still free and a 2nd bag is $25.
You can BET I won't be flying United ever again.

This was announced a few weeks ago..if you are flying United for NC, you might want to think about just taking a carry on. That's what I usually do, but I don't fly United.
I'm sure other airlines will line up and start doing the same thing.

I hope the other airlines don't follow suit.

They already don't feed us any longer!! Yet, the price is still high and getting higher!

I tend to way overpack when I travel. For NC we are only there 3 days so I am planning to do a couple of mix & match outfits so I can pack less than usual.

This is a couple of weeks old - and it's likely that other airlines will start following suit. I think it will only result in more people trying to take oversize bags on as carryons to avoid the fees.

cmdtrgd said:
This is just wrong! To have to pay for your FIRST bag?!?!?

Updated policy and fees apply to travel on or after August 18

Dear Mrs. Kate Jensen,

Before your next trip with us, we would like you to know about changes to our checked baggage policy and revised fees for excess, overweight, oversized baggage and special items, effective for travel on or after August 18, 2008.

If you purchase a United Economy® ticket on or after June 13, 2008 for travel on or after August 18, 2008, a $15 service fee will apply, each way, to check your first piece of baggage. This fee applies to travel within the United States, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada.

As previously announced, a $25 fee will apply to check a second bag when flying on a ticket purchased on or after February 4, 2008. Please refer to the chart below to see which checked baggage fees may apply to you.

Checked baggage fees summary
If you purchased tickets... and are traveling... the following fees apply to check bags
First bag Second bag
Before February 4, 2008 Anytime $0 $0
Between February 4, 2008 and June 12, 2008 Anytime $0 $25
On or after June 13, 2008 Between June 13, 2008 and August 17, 2008 $0 $25
On or after June 13, 2008 On or after August 18, 2008 $15 $25

We would like to remind you that additional baggage fees apply to check more than two bags, or if any bags are oversized, overweight and/or considered special items. These fees are also changing and the revised fees will apply to tickets purchased on or after June 13, 2008 for travel on or after August 18, 2008. Please visit the Oversized, overweight and excess baggage and Special items sections on united.com for details on these fees.

You will be exempt from the first and second checked bag service fees if you are:

* traveling in United First® or United Business®
* traveling on the same reservation as a Global ServicesSM, Mileage Plus® 1K®, Premier Executive®, Premier® or Premier Associate® member or Star Alliance® Gold or Silver member
* military personnel traveling on orders

To help facilitate a speedy check-in for you, we are working on a convenient option of pre-paying for checked baggage fees when checking in online with bags, using EasyCheck-in OnlineSM. We will provide more information on the availability of this functionality later in the year.

For details on our baggage policies and frequently asked questions, we invite you to visit united.com/baggage.

We thank you for your business and look forward to welcoming you onboard soon.
American Airlines is already doing it. Just make sure you take stuff for just carry on. Take outfits etc that go together so you can carry it all on. Hopefully at Conference they don't geive Director gifts that have to be "checked" like they have in the past

smspamperedchef said:
American Airlines is already doing it. Just make sure you take stuff for just carry on. Take outfits etc that go together so you can carry it all on. Hopefully at Conference they don't geive Director gifts that have to be "checked" like they have in the past

If so, we can always FedEx them home.
It would be great if HO would offer us a FedEx discount if we need to ship things home.

smspamperedchef said:
Unfortunately, some of us can't pack as carry-on only. When you wear plus sizes, clothes take up more room in the suitcase, so 3 days worth can't be stuffed into a regulation size carry-on. That's the problem I'd have.

smspamperedchef said:

Last week, I flew on American airlines to go to Cancun for our incentive trip. We each had one carry on, and one checked bag (for 5 days). We werent charged anything.
We flew back home on Continental, same deal... no charges.
Hope that helps... :)

I just got the email today and it shows that my NC flight won't be affected because I bought the tickets before tomorrow....heh, that sounds weird.

American announced a few weeks ago that they are going to start charging for checked baggage also. I think as of June 15, 2008. If I remember correctly it was $15 for the first and $25 for the second.

Related to United Airlines Baggage Policy and Fees Update for Travel on or After August 18

What is the baggage policy for United Airlines?

United Airlines allows passengers to bring one carry-on bag and one personal item, such as a purse or laptop bag, for free. Checked baggage fees vary based on destination and fare type.

What is the maximum weight and size for checked baggage on United Airlines?

The maximum weight for checked baggage on United Airlines is 50 pounds for economy class, 70 pounds for business class, and 100 pounds for first class. The maximum size for checked baggage is 62 linear inches (length + width + height).

Can I bring a carry-on bag and a personal item on United Airlines?

Yes, United Airlines allows passengers to bring one carry-on bag and one personal item for free. The carry-on bag must not exceed 22 inches x 14 inches x 9 inches and the personal item must fit under the seat in front of you.

What items are restricted from being carried on United Airlines?

United Airlines restricts certain items from being carried on board, such as weapons, explosives, and flammable liquids. Additionally, there are restrictions on the amount of liquids that can be brought in carry-on luggage. It is best to check with United Airlines before packing to ensure your items are allowed.

Are there any additional fees for baggage on United Airlines?

Yes, United Airlines charges additional fees for checked baggage. The fees vary based on destination and fare type. It is best to check with United Airlines prior to your flight to avoid any surprises at the airport.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• PampMomof3
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
dannyzmom
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • PampMomof3