• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Understanding Write-Offs: A Guide for Small Business Owners

since you have to take routes to avoid bad roads?Yes, you can write off a GPS if you use it for shows.
ChefMary412
Can someone tell me exactly what we can "write-off"? I am guessing millage, supplies, products we use for shows, anything else?
Thanks!! Also, do most of you end up paying in taxes? I am assuming I will make around $5,000 from PC. Are there certain tax brackets we fit into? I am kinda clueless when it comes to taxes.:yuck:

Let me start by saying that any information you receive here you should verify with a tax professional. This is what I write off, although I'm conservative in what I take:
- mileage
- supplies (anything on supply order from PC)
- office supplies (paper, toner, envelopes)
- postage
- ingredients for shows/meetings/recipe testing at home
- travel to conference (bus, plane, etc.)
- conference registration
- conference lodging
- conference meals, although these are only 50% deductable
- photocopies
- logo wear and other items from Merrill (or equivalent items, like business cards from Vista Print)
- recordings/books to increase skills
- product samples
- fair/festival fees
- membership here
- partial deduction of phone billThere are probably more, but that's most of them that I track.

chefann said:
Let me start by saying that any information you receive here you should verify with a tax professional.

This is what I write off, although I'm conservative in what I take:
- mileage
- supplies (anything on supply order from PC)
- office supplies (paper, toner, envelopes)
- postage
- ingredients for shows/meetings/recipe testing at home
- travel to conference (bus, plane, etc.)
- conference registration
- conference lodging
- conference meals, although these are only 50% deductable
- photocopies
- logo wear and other items from Merrill (or equivalent items, like business cards from Vista Print)
- recordings/books to increase skills
- product samples
- fair/festival fees
- membership here
- partial deduction of phone bill

There are probably more, but that's most of them that I track.

~~ You can also write off a % of your house that you use for your business. Like for example your kitchen. I use it for storage for all my products and cook n books, shows etc..
~~ Meals - interviewing potential consultants( I've even use chuckie cheese because the kids can play while me and the mom can talk.
~~ % of internet,
~~ Electronic deppreciation
~~ Cell Phone
~~ % of electric Bill (Cooking, lights etc..)
~~ % of water Bill (Washing Dishes)

I can't think of too much more, Chef Ann pointed out the main ones. :)

and be sure to check with an accountant about the persentages we can write off........there are very specific rules about office space and internet and so on! You can get in trouble FAST if you don't follow the IRS's rules!

chefmeg said:
and be sure to check with an accountant about the persentages we can write off........there are very specific rules about office space and internet and so on! You can get in trouble FAST if you don't follow the IRS's rules!

Yes, Be sure to do that. I'm Lucky and my aunt is an accountant and has had her Tax Business for over 28 years now. She does mine and tells me all kinds of things I can and can't use. :)

You can write off items that keep up your home like paper towels, toliet paper, and cleaning supplies. You use the same percentage you would use on your electric bill.

Wow... thanks. yes, I will defiantly talk with our tax guy. I just wanted to start keeping track of receipts and things now.

i was told we can write off clothes that we wear to shows, in addition to logowear. for example, my show uniform during the colder months is black pants and a logo sweater i would deduct both.

With the price of gas these days, make every trip a Pampered Chef business trip. Even if you're going to pick up your kids from school you can talk to someone about your business, or stop at a mailbox or post office on the way and write off the mileage. Not to mention, if you talk to someone about the business or having a show or placing an order every time you go out, your business should explode!

Aside from saving any and all receipts and deducting EVERYTHING that you can, here is something to think of:

I set aside 10% of my commission for taxes. Just in case one of these years I may end up PAYING (I haven't yet) but even if not...you have a nice little "refund" built up for yourself in the end! My Director has done this for years....

I just found out this year that what you earn as incentives that are your 1099 you can turn around and count as "business supplies"..never knew that before! Too cool!

Can you write off a GPS if you use it for shows etc..

cewcooks said:
Can you write off a GPS if you use it for shows etc..
I would say "YES".

I just wrote off a trip to Lake Tahoe from Monterey (1100 miles RT) because I received over $600 since my sister in law and neice placed orders. Plus I handed out mini catalogs and info to people that I met. I even cooked for my family and talked business at meals out with the two so those can be written off (some of it). So it was a worth while trip- PC wise and family wise. :)

jbdowd0798 said:
I just wrote off a trip to Lake Tahoe from Monterey (1100 miles RT) because I received over $600 since my sister in law and neice placed orders. Plus I handed out mini catalogs and info to people that I met. I even cooked for my family and talked business at meals out with the two so those can be written off (some of it). So it was a worth while trip- PC wise and family wise. :)

I am unsure how you can write off the whole trip....help me understand how you would give this info to an accountant so I can join in on the write-offs!

I give this to my recruits. I got the first part from my director and then the very detailed second part I got from another director.

Attachments

• Expense Categories for Taxes.doc
    25.5 KB · Views: 672
That's an awesome and very helpful document Deb!! Thank you!:)

chefmeg said:
I am unsure how you can write off the whole trip....help me understand how you would give this info to an accountant so I can join in on the write-offs!

It turned into a show and errands. We had a get together (normal family one) and they asked me to make the appitizers. I had packed some PC stuff since we were staying in a condo vs hotel. So i used what I had, they asked questions, I had packed catalogs & order forms, and they placed orders. Then we met up with my niece and her kids two days later and we talked about stocking her new kitchen with PC stuff at lunch, so she placed an order then. So the meal is a tax write off since I met with a customer.
Then I remembered I needed envelopes since I had run out right before I left, so when we hit Walmart I bought them plus a few things for the party=mileage.

Oh get this- DH, kids, and I were in TGI Friday's and I use my PC catalog tote as my purse (good investment), and a lady from my area was vacationing as well and asked for a catalog, help with her rice cooker, etc. Cool huh!?! :chef:

Soooo lol thats the stuff I'm writing off. Not the whole trip but a good portion. :)

What Can We Write-Off?

As a Pampered Chef consultant, you may have questions about what expenses can be written off for tax purposes. Here are some common questions and answers:

1. Can I write off the cost of my Pampered Chef starter kit?

Yes, you can write off the cost of your starter kit as a business expense. Keep your receipt as proof of purchase.

2. Are ingredients for cooking demonstrations and parties considered write-offs?

Yes, ingredients used for cooking demonstrations and parties can be written off as a business expense. Keep a record of the receipts for these ingredients.

3. Can I write off the cost of food and drinks purchased for my own personal use?

No, personal food and drink purchases cannot be written off as a business expense. Only items purchased for business purposes can be written off.

4. Can I write off the cost of gas for driving to and from parties?

Yes, you can write off the cost of gas for business-related trips, such as driving to and from parties or deliveries. Keep track of your mileage and any receipts for gas purchases.

5. Can I write off the cost of my Pampered Chef website or business cards?

Yes, you can write off the cost of marketing materials and tools, such as your Pampered Chef website or business cards. Keep these receipts as proof of purchase.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kelly8
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
lpacker
  • wadesgirl
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • babywings76