• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

? to Prepare Food Before Show or at Show?

demonstration? Of the products? I think the "30-minute chicken" is a good way to get people to try the products without feeling too rushed.
purpampchef
I have been a consultant for 9 years. Last night was a first. Walked into the house and the kitchen was totally taken over by junk!!!!!!!!! Dirty dishes in the sink, absolutely no free space on the kitchen table. The table fit very tightly in the kitchen, and there was cat hair everywhere!! In the living room there were two large stained couches but no tables at all. Fortunately, since I knew there were only going to be 5 people at the show, I prepared two dips with the rubs before the show and cut the vegetables after I arrived on a very small space in the kitchen. I prepared the the lava cake for later in the show. they loved it.

Instead of doing a demo for the show, I talked about our products as i held up the ones I had with me and let the guests tell what they liked about their products.

I was so embarrassed for the hostess, but it seemed her guests were all used to the condition of her home.

In the future I will better host coach to let the host know I need clean space.

After the show, she said she liked it better than the show she booked off of, a $800 show, when I did demo. She liked that the recipe was done and that the guests could look at the catalogs and order right away.

Any thoughts of having the food prepared before the show?

I just tried preparing the food before the show for the first time at my last show, and I did a catalog walkthrough. I told the host about it and she was happy that the guests would be able to eat right away.I enjoyed it b/c no one ever wants to participate in the demo anyway, and so it works for me. Sometimes I felt like I was talking a bit much but I've always felt that way. The guests reacted well to it.The only downside is they don't get to see some of the tools "in action" but I still talked about them and how they worked.I say, try it for some other shows and see how it goes. You may have found a new format that works for you!

I thought about having the food already prepared, but having several products, mandolin, food chopper, knife, garlic tools available for them to try.

On the drive back from NC, I listened to a teleconference training call from earlier in the year. The lady was talking about recruiting mostly (she's an upper level director somewhere on the chart), BUT she said what she does is prepares the recipe at HOME while she's preparing dinner for her family. She doesn't get to the host's house until 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time. So if the show is to start at 7pm, she'll be there between 6:45-6:55pm. (I'd want to get there at least early enough to take my bags inside the house). From 7-7:30pm, she lets the guests eat and visit, while she sets up a table with her products. Also, while the guests are eating and she's setting up, she's started the "30-minute chicken" in the microwave. She brings the chicken in the DCB already prepped. When the chicken is done, that's when she starts her demo. She gets a couple of volunteers to demo a couple products- she said she usually does the Ultimate Mandoline (potato slices), the Food Chopper (Who had a bad day??)- chops up the potato, garlic peeler/slicer, and one other product which for I cannot remember- so I'll have to get back to you on that. She also will show maybe a favorite new product, as well as something from each of the main collections. SO basically- what's in the starter kit!

She only does a 30-minute demo. Then they cut up the chicken, and folks can taste that as well, and then do their shopping.

I'm going to give it a try at my next shows (whenever I get those scheduled!) I'd love to save that much time!!! And I think most people would likely love it! Yes- you don't get to demo the products during the recipe, but for ME, I get too hung up on the recipe and not as much on the products anyway! I can always showcase the key product(s) for the recipe during my actual talk/demo.

EVERY single customer/host that I have talked to who has told me that they've gone to a show with food already prepared has said they felt jipped. They said they missed actually seeing a recipe made and the products in action. I'll never veer away from a demo.

I've done it where I cook chicken breasts in the DCB before the show. I cut it up and then put it on a bamboo platter with 2 different sauces in the petite bamboo bowls. Then I have 2 of the dipping oil seasonings w/ bread on another platter. I have the cream cheese w/ 2 other different sauces on the cracker tray w/ crackers in a bamboo bowl. Then I let them come in, grab a plate and start eating. As they eat I tell them what everything is. I rave about the DCB and then show them how to make a fast dessert. Then I make the Chocolate PB Cake in the DCB. So they get the demo feel, but it was a fast one. I got such amazing feedback from the ladies there and the host. They loved getting to come in and eat right away, yet still get ideas of dinner solutions from me and got to see me whip something together really fast.I loved it and plan to do it more.

I do it most of the time. I always let the host choose the type of show. I still do the occasional more traditional show with a recipe, but the vast majority of my hosts choose my Walk through the Catalog Show. The response has been great for my customer base. They like being able to take a little time at the beginning to eat and talk before I get started.I answer a lot of questions and provide a basic outline in this thread http://www.chefsuccess.com/f12/questions-rae-about-your-show-16925/?highlight=Questions+for+RaeI'm still doing the same basic show. Depending on the size of the crowd I may or may not do the cheerleader and negativity cop. A lively crowd really doesn't need the cheerleader. And, I rarely encounter a really negative person at my shows. To me, though, that's one of the advantages of those 15 to 20 minutes of connecting with the crowd before the demo/talk part begins. I get a good read of the crowd. The most important thing is to do what makes you most comfortable and the host happy. If either of you is uncomfortable with the thought of not showing how to prepare a recipe, then the show just won't feel right to the guests. It's not a show type that works for everyone, but it works well for me.

Thanks Rae. I read through your thread and found it very helpful. I have been doing the cheerleader/cop part for a little over a year. Love it! I just wasn't sure if it worked for a walk through the catalog. Love your ideas and so grateful that you don't mind sharing. You have been very helpful!

babywings76 said:
I've done it where I cook chicken breasts in the DCB before the show. I cut it up and then put it on a bamboo platter with 2 different sauces in the petite bamboo bowls. Then I have 2 of the dipping oil seasonings w/ bread on another platter. I have the cream cheese w/ 2 other different sauces on the cracker tray w/ crackers in a bamboo bowl. Then I let them come in, grab a plate and start eating. As they eat I tell them what everything is. I rave about the DCB and then show them how to make a fast dessert. Then I make the Chocolate PB Cake in the DCB. So they get the demo feel, but it was a fast one. I got such amazing feedback from the ladies there and the host. They loved getting to come in and eat right away, yet still get ideas of dinner solutions from me and got to see me whip something together really fast.

I loved it and plan to do it more.

Amanda, for August to show the sauces, I am doing your idea of cooking the chicken in the DCB and setting them out w/ the oil dipping seasoning. I think instead of doing the chicken ahead of time though, I'm going to do that as my demo so they can see them and then while that's going, do a fruit pizza or something.

thanks babywings, you put together in words what I have been playing through in my mind. Think I'll try that at my party Thurs.

purpampchef said:
thanks babywings, you put together in words what I have been playing through in my mind. Think I'll try that at my party Thurs.

See the thread entitled "Tools and Tastings" in the Theme Shows Forum for a detailed version of this. I'd put a link in here to it but am not awake yet. :)

I rarely do a demo at my show anymore. I always give the host a choice between the demo or playing some games about the products. Most choose the games.

esavvymom said:
On the drive back from NC, I listened to a teleconference training call from earlier in the year. The lady was talking about recruiting mostly

Thanks for the info. Any idea what the name of the training was?

Thanks Keith! That was very helpful!

I have been doing 20 minutes of talk at the beginning of each party since January. I thank my host, talk about hosting, booking slide prompted, and recruiting. Then I say I am going to prepare our recipe(s) and that I need help. This way you all can play with the tools! My hosts are requesting that version more than any other I have done. They like the ability to NOT LISTEN to me as well as play with the tools but allowing only those that want to do so, do so. I am going to do several small appetizers for a party on Friday afternoon. I am so totally making things easy. Most of it is open cream cheese, pour over sauce, add crackers to a plate. Most of the work will already be done. WE, my host and I, are contributing to the food. So we decided to make 6 different things. 4 will be done and ready to eat when the guests arrive. The other two will be our hands on recipes. But both are so easy! Batter Bowl, Scraper, Cutting Board, Mandline and I think that is all will get dirty during the prep. Small Bamboo Bowls, a couple of platters, cake plate and bamboo platter will get dirty from the service. Otherwise, not much to clean up! More and more of my hosts are choosing short, sweet and to the point over seeing how things work step by step. In my Pampered Chef world, the full fledged demo is gone! And I can not say I miss it!

I don't demo the recipe, I do make a rice cooker cake at most of my shows. It doesn't seem to have impacted my sales nor my bookings. I hit TPC (Excellence Awards) and earn the trips. I've been doing it this way for over 5 years now.

I stopped doing a demo about a year ago. I have the food ready when they get there, they socialize and eat for the first 25-30 minutes (allows for all of those who are late to get there and not have really missed anything) and then we spend 30-45 minutes (depending on the crowd) going through the catalog. I have had SO many guests tell me how much they love this format. Even had one girl who said she would never have booked a show before, book b/c she said it's so laid back and people come hungry not wanting to wait for food. I never had good luck with the interactive show (it was like pulling teeth to get help), but this one has worked so well. I offer my hosts three different kinds of shows, traditional, interactive or the one described above and 95% pick it. People get tired of watching you chop and cut :) Just my opinion...I love in this business how we can do shows so different but in the end all have the same outcome! Wahoo for being our own boss!

I think it depends on what you like to do, and what you're good at.For myself, if I was doing N0-demo shows, all of the fun of my job would be gone. Doing the show and the demo is my favorite part. I LOVE doing the demo, and showing people how to make great, healthy recipes quickly. I think because I love doing it so much, it makes it fun for everyone. I never get the feeling that people are bored or tired of watching me with the demo - in fact, I get many people telling me that it was the best PC show they've ever been to...I think in the case of the OP though, that you did the only thing you could in a pretty bad situation. You had to keep it sanitary and edible for the guests! Probably the state of her house was why she only had 5 guests!

For myself, if I was doing N0-demo shows, all of the fun of my job would be gone. Doing the show and the demo is my favorite part. I LOVE doing the demo, and showing people how to make great, healthy recipes quickly. I think because I love doing it so much, it makes it fun for everyone. I never get the feeling that people are bored or tired of watching me with the demo - in fact, I get many people telling me that it was the best PC show they've ever been to...
This is exactly why I love PC so much. It's also why I do my best to make it very clear that, while this works well for me, I'm not suggesting that everyone do their shows this way. This suits my personality and my customer base. I have no doubt whatsoever that your customers wouldn't trade you and your shows for anyone else in the world. :)

raebates said:
This is exactly why I love PC so much. It's also why I do my best to make it very clear that, while this works well for me, I'm not suggesting that everyone do their shows this way. This suits my personality and my customer base. I have no doubt whatsoever that your customers wouldn't trade you and your shows for anyone else in the world. :)
I know too that there are many who are successful with a no-demo show. I was just providing another point of view on this thread, as someone had stated that they thought people found the demo boring - and I never get that feeling from my guests and hosts. :) Like I said, it would take all of the joy and fun out of my job if I wasn't doing a demo - it's what I love to do! :chef:
I just didn't want people (especially new people) to read this thread and start wondering if maybe Demo's were not the way to go - especially if they are enjoying the demo portion of their business.

My customers seem to love the demos, they say they feel like they are "watching a cooking show". I always try to give tips about food safety or alternate uses for particular items as I am using them!!

Becky, I must have missed the comment about recipe demos being boring. Wow, I would never, ever assume that people find a recipe demo boring. I did figure that was the motivation for your comment.

1. How should I prepare food before a show?

Before a show, it is best to plan out your menu and make a list of all the ingredients and utensils you will need. Pre-cut and measure any ingredients that can be prepared in advance. It is also a good idea to have everything organized and easily accessible for quick and efficient cooking.

2. Can I prepare food at the show?

Yes, you can prepare food at the show. However, it is important to keep in mind that you will have limited time and space, so it is best to choose recipes that can be prepared quickly and easily. It is also helpful to have any necessary ingredients and tools pre-measured and ready to go.

3. What are some tips for preparing food at a show?

Some tips for preparing food at a show include having a clean and organized workspace, bringing all necessary ingredients and tools, and having a plan for any potential mishaps or delays. It is also helpful to have a helper to assist with tasks and keep things running smoothly.

4. How can I ensure food safety when preparing food at a show?

To ensure food safety at a show, it is important to follow proper hygiene practices, such as washing your hands before handling food and using clean utensils and surfaces. It is also important to keep hot foods hot and cold foods cold, and to discard any perishable food that has been sitting out for too long.

5. Are there any specific food preparation guidelines for Pampered Chef shows?

Yes, Pampered Chef has specific guidelines for food preparation at shows. These include using only Pampered Chef products and following the recipes provided in the consultant's kit. It is also important to follow all food safety guidelines and to present food in a visually appealing way.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Jolie_Paradoxe
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
legacypc46
  • AshleyAllison
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
AshleyAllison
  • kcmckay