• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Throw a Blast from the Past: Planning an 80's Theme Show

In summary, a friend is thinking of creating a 80s themed show and wants some ideas. They discuss possible ideas, including a costume contest, a game with differences between the 80s and today, and food. The 80s had the best music they could remember from their lifetime, and they remember wearing fluorescent clothes, lacy gloves, and trying to moonwalk and break dance. They also mention hair bands and big hair. The discussion moves on to the movie 13 Going on 30 and the mention of pizza brings up memories of sitting around and talking about hairspray. The last topic is food and the 80s. They say that pizza was the food of the 80s and they also mention Taco Bell, Reeses Pieces,
kisrae
Gold Member
I have a friend who wants a 80's theme show.
Any ideas?

I would do a contest for best costume, as that can be fun. Maybe make up a game with differences from the 80s to today, you could tailor it to the kitchen/cooking or do more general. As far as food I'm not quite sure what to tell you, as I was definitely only 5 at the end of the 80s... :) It sounds like a fun show!

Miami Vice keeps popping in my mind...not sure what recipe would "fit" but I can't get the intro and the song out of my head...

GourmetGirl said:
as I was definitely only 5 at the end of the 80s... :)

On behalf of our more senior members who remember the 80's quite well, BITE ME!!! lol Just kidding. Turned 39 this month. Little touchy about age! Enjoy your youth!!

RaggedyAunt said:
On behalf of our more senior members who remember the 80's quite well, BITE ME!!! lol Just kidding. Turned 39 this month. Little touchy about age! Enjoy your youth!!
Yeah, that one made me feel little older too...I remember wearing fluorescent everything, dressing like Madonna with lacy gloves with no fingers, and of course trying to moon walk and break dance...now that was a sight!

The 80s had the best music I can remember from my lifetime...I turned 40 in October. We have seen a lot of 80s music being restyled but a lot of it is just played as it was then. Perhaps you could play "Name that tune" with 80s music to give out door prizes. I couldn't tell you what recipe to do. All I remember eating in the 80s was pizza.

What I remember from the 80s is:

parachute pants
girls wearing mens dress shirts tyed at the waist...I remember stealing...uuhh borrowing...them out of my dad's closet.
Big Hair
mini skirts
wild colors

Have you seen the movie 13 going on 30? I watched that and laughed my head off because it had them dancing to Thriller.

Big Hair, Big Hair and more Big Hair! I don't really remember if any particular food was in or anything though.

Maybe these will inspire you. They are from a year ago - New Years Eve. It took me days to get the black nailpolosh off of my son - he wanted to keep it.

80sFamily.jpg

DSC_7943.jpg

DSC_7838.jpg

Not sure what he was doing with his finger - think he was trying to make the rock n roll sign.
DSC_7907.jpg

Last edited:
remember those Mulitiples ?? those 1 piece outfits ?? !!!

Shawnna said:
The 80s had the best music I can remember from my lifetime...I turned 40 in October. We have seen a lot of 80s music being restyled but a lot of it is just played as it was then. Perhaps you could play "Name that tune" with 80s music to give out door prizes. I couldn't tell you what recipe to do. All I remember eating in the 80s was pizza.

parachute pants
girls wearing mens dress shirts tyed at the waist...I remember stealing...uuhh borrowing...them out of my dad's closet.
Big Hair
mini skirts
wild colors

Have you seen the movie 13 going on 30? I watched that and laughed my head off because it had them dancing to Thriller.

I agree - maybe the name that tune - find someone who has Trivia Pursuit Totally 80's - I have it and its not as easy as you might think -AND I was a total 80's girl - loved those days!!!! Parachute Pants ---LOL!!! I forgot about those!!! What were they thinking??? lol!!!

Leggins, capizzos(sp?), sweater dresses with BIG belts!! Feather earrings, I can go on & on! LOL:D

What about the hair bands?! They had some hair too! Yeah, the bigger the hair the better...I remember sitting around and just talking about hairspray - we all wanted the one with the best and longest hold. I'm surprised I still have hair. LOL

yep and you had to have a purse big enough to carry that huge can of Aqua Net !!

Oh my goodness!!! I LOVE the pics!!!! Brings back so many fond memories...'cuz I'm one of "them" that lived it to the fullest in the 80's!!! Roller skating, big hair with the hairsprayed sides out from the blow dryer, blue eyeshadow with pink on the top and those lovely parachute pants. Ahh, those were the days............anyway I digress. Food - pizza, Taco Bell, doritos and Reeses Pieces (thanks to ET). That's it in a nutshell. Not much to go on for food for a show. But wouldn't this be a hoot to do? I like the idea of "dressing up" as the 80's - and you as the consultant should too - and the 80's music in the background. Just the whole thing sounds fun!!!! Rock on with the leggings, leg warmers, cable knit sweaters with our dad's stretch ribbed tanks underneath and Michael Jackson glove!!!!!!

Oh, and just thought of one more thing - but I'm sure it would be totally frowned upon...but what the heck? Remember candy cigarettes??? I know, such BAD things around us back then.

Talk about a flash back ...... Big hair, long sweaters and big bealts... Hoop earings, The banana clips, stonewashed jeans, I could go on .... LOL

What about those clips we used to tie our big t-shirts with. They looked kind of like cheap plastic belt buckles...you know circle with the bar through the middle. And shirts with zippers everywhere...what were our moms thinking letting us wear that stuff. When my kids pull out our old pictures it really cracks me up. All that blue eye shadow...LOL

HairSpray ....... WHO remembers STIFF STUFF!!! That was like cement to our hair - dancing to Madonna and Wham - your hair didn't move an inch!!! LOL - And of course my all time favorite (an I am serious!) THE GO GO"S!!! Oh how high school was so easy -

Last note - ROCK THE CASPAR!

It had to be the stiffest that you could buy at WAL Mart!!! Covergirl Makeup, Blue eye shawdow and the reddest blush you could find and the brightest lipstick

PamperedDor said:
HairSpray ....... WHO remembers STIFF STUFF!!! That was like cement to our hair - dancing to Madonna and Wham - your hair didn't move an inch!!! LOL - And of course my all time favorite (an I am serious!) THE GO GO"S!!! Oh how high school was so easy -

Last note - ROCK THE CASPAR!

OH, the memories, lol!

OMG, love the pics! That is the cutest pic of your son! And, my dd used to have some pink cowgirl boots just like those:thumbup: (her potty-training reward)

Shawnna said:

parachute pants
Big Hair
mini skirts
wild colors

I turn 40 in March.... It was good times, glad we lived through the 80's! Loved the movie too!

OMG you girls have me in stitches!!
I just can't even go there

but I did just hear the Go-Gos on the radio the other day!! of course I remembered every word ! 15 yo DD was just silent looking at me like I was crazy. lol (but thats no suprise)

Well, this was totally hijacked by memory lane...not sure this helps with food, but at least the costumes are covered!

It's a little long, but really good :)Thought I would post this...I was born in 79 and remember so much of this from late elementary school and early middle school. Depending on the age of your crowd, maybe you could read the list and have each person mark each one they remember (there were some I didn't) and who ever has the most "memories from the 80's" gets a door prize. Just an idea...enjoy :)

You Know You Grew Up In the 80's/early 90's if:
>
> 1. You've ever ended a sentence with the word SIKE.
> 2. You can sing the rap to the Fresh Prince of
> Bel-Air and can do the Carlton
> 3. You know that 'WOAH' comes from Joey on Blossom
> 4. If you ever watched 'Fraggle Rock'
> 5. It was actually worth getting up early on a
> Saturday to watch cartoons.
> 6. You wore a ponytail on the side of your head.
> 7. You got super-excited when it was Oregon Trail
> day in computer class at school.
> 8. You made your mom buy one of those clips that
> would hold your shirt in a knot on the side.
> 9. You played the game 'MASH'(Mansion, Apartment,
> Shelter, House)
> 10. You wore stonewashed Jordache jean jackets and
> were proud of it.
> 11. You know the profound meaning of ' WAX ON , WAX
> OFF'
> 12. You wanted to be a Goonie.
> 13. You ever wore fluorescent clothing. (some of
> us...head-to-toe) remember wearing two pair of BRIGHT SOCKS???
> 14. You can remember what Michael Jackson looked
> like before his nose fell off and his cheeks
> shifted.
> 15. You have ever pondered why Smurfette was the
> only female smurf.
> 16. You took lunch boxes to school...and traded
> Garbage Pailkids in the schoolyard.
> 17. You remember the CRAZE, then the BANNING of slap
> bracelets.
> 18. You still get the urge to say 'NOT' after every
> sentence.
> 19. You thought your childhood friends would never
> leave because you exchanged handmade friendship
> bracelets.
> 21. You ever owned a pair of Jelly-Shoes.
> 22. After you saw Pee-Wee's Big Adventure you kept
> saying 'I know you are, but what am I?'
> 23. You remember 'I've fallen and I can't get up'
> 24. You remember going to the skating rink before
> there were inline skates.
> 25. You have ever played with a Skip-It
> 26. You remember boom boxes and walking around with
> one on your shoulder like you were all that.
> 27. You remember watching both Gremlins movies.
> 28. You thought Doogie Howser/Samantha Micelli was
> hot.
> 29. You remember Alf, the lil furry brown alien from
> Melmac.
> 30. You remember New Kids on the Block when they
> were cool...and don't even flinch when people refer
> to them as 'NKOTB'
> 31. You knew all the characters names and their life
> stories on 'Saved By The Bell,' The ORIGINAL class.
> 32. You know all the words to Bon Jovi - SHOT
> THROUGH THE HEART.
> 33. You just sang those words to yourself.
> 34. You still sing 'We are the World'
> 35. You tight rolled your jeans.
> 36. You owned a bannana clip.
> 37. You remember 'Where's the Beef?'
> 38. You used to (and probably still do)
> say 'What you talkin' 'bout Willis?'
> 39. You're still singing shot through the heart in
> your head, aren't you!

40. Friendship pins- safety pins w/ beads worn on your sneakers
41. barettes with ribbon woven through them

Love It-----

oh my word - I am rolling right .....and singing Bon Jovi. He's STILL HOT!!!:D

And if you ever got in trouble, you wished either The A-Team or Knight Rider would come to the rescue!

OH my, is it bad that I did pretty much ALL those things?:rolleyes:
Hey, & Bon Jovi IS still hot!:love: I'm still bummed that he's going to be in concert in KC in April & I can't go:cry: (here's an embarassing fact: I did go to a NKOTB concert when I was middle school-ish age--what a good mom I have to take me!)

I live here in KC and I didn't even get tickets!! :( BUT, 2 of the gals in my cluster did...I thought about stalking them.....

lacychef said:
Hey, & Bon Jovi IS still hot!:love: I'm still bummed that he's going to be in concert in KC in April & I can't go:cry: (here's an embarassing fact: I did go to a NKOTB concert when I was middle school-ish age--what a good mom I have to take me!)

I went to a NKOTB concert too. It was at the state fair and we waited all day in line to get seats (didn't see anything else at the fair). I have their CD on my Ipod along with lots of songs from the 80's. Love the music.

c00p said:
I live here in KC and I didn't even get tickets!! :( BUT, 2 of the gals in my cluster did...I thought about stalking them.....
I would totally be stalking them, LOL! That is one concert I'm determined to see before I die.....I'm hoping he'll tour again next year & come to KC again!

Check e-bay for tickets. I wish I could go, but I will be in FL for vacation. I've seen them 11 times. It's always a good time.

fikibiff said:
Check e-bay for tickets. I wish I could go, but I will be in FL for vacation. I've seen them 11 times. It's always a good time.
Wow, 11 times?! I couldn't go even if I got tickets; same night as my daughter's vocal concert!

What about the valley girls, like, OH MY GOD! Like, gage me with a spoon!! LOL

letscook04 said:
What about the valley girls, like, OH MY GOD! Like, gage me with a spoon!! LOL
Like, I totally forgot about that!

lacychef said:

Thats not embarassing fact at all..... I never went to one of NKOTB concert but listen to their music and I openly admited that ONLINE LOL :rolleyes:

nicki25 said:
I went to a NKOTB concert too. It was at the state fair and we waited all day in line to get seats (didn't see anything else at the fair). I have their CD on my Ipod along with lots of songs from the 80's. Love the music.

I am glad to see that I am not the only one who has their music on their Ipod.... I love the 80's music though good times!!!

I'm totally a NKOTB fan...I saw them in concert 3 times (I have a great mom), had the comforter, dolls, videos, even a NKOTB b-day...ok, maybe I shouldn't be posting this online...I do have their greatest hits CD on my IPOD. Everyday it's nice to listen to Hanging Tough and The Right Stuff on my way to work :) :)

iteachurkid said:
I'm totally a NKOTB fan...I saw them in concert 3 times (I have a great mom), had the comforter, dolls, videos, even a NKOTB b-day...ok, maybe I shouldn't be posting this online...I do have their greatest hits CD on my IPOD. Everyday it's nice to listen to Hanging Tough and The Right Stuff on my way to work :) :)

Now see I don't' feel so bad when I listen to their music... it's good music.... I guess it would be any different than my sisters listening to the Osmonds or Jackson 5.... LOL

iteachurkid said:
Thought I would post this...I was born in 79 and remember so much of this from late elementary school and early middle school. Depending on the age of your crowd, maybe you could read the list and have each person mark each one they remember (there were some I didn't) and who ever has the most "memories from the 80's" gets a door prize. Just an idea...enjoy :)

>
> Shelter, House)
> were proud of it.
> OFF'
> shifted.
> only female smurf.
> bracelets.
> sentence.
> bracelets.
> hot.
> Melmac.
> to them as 'NKOTB'
> THROUGH THE HEART.
> your head, aren't you!

Sorry you all . I've been away for awhile. My 9 yr old son has been in the hospital the day that i posted this question. He's okay know but it was pretty crazy. He had a ruptured apendix.

I'm having fun taking a look back. I forgot alot of the 80's. :eek: ( I haven't always been a good girl):rolleyes:

I love this idea of going down the list. Thanks for the info

iteachurkid said:
Thought I would post this...I was born in 79 and remember so much of this from late elementary school and early middle school. Depending on the age of your crowd, maybe you could read the list and have each person mark each one they remember (there were some I didn't) and who ever has the most "memories from the 80's" gets a door prize. Just an idea...enjoy :)

>
> Shelter, House)
> were proud of it.
> OFF'
> shifted.
> only female smurf.
> bracelets.
> sentence.
> bracelets.
> hot.
> Melmac.
> to them as 'NKOTB'
> THROUGH THE HEART.
> your head, aren't you!

You have me rolling on the floor! So true because I lived through it myself!

Related to Throw a Blast from the Past: Planning an 80's Theme Show

1. What kind of decorations should I use for an 80's theme show?

For an 80's theme show, you can use bright neon colors, cassette tapes, Rubik's cubes, boomboxes, and other popular symbols from the 80's. You can also incorporate popular 80's movies or TV shows as inspiration for your decorations.

2. What types of food should I serve for an 80's theme show?

For an 80's theme show, you can serve popular foods from that era such as pigs in a blanket, Jell-O salad, deviled eggs, and fondue. You can also have a candy bar with popular 80's treats like Pop Rocks, Nerds, and Pixy Stix.

3. Should I have a dress code for the 80's theme show?

Having a dress code can add to the fun of the 80's theme show. Encourage guests to wear bright colors, leg warmers, acid-washed jeans, and other popular 80's fashion trends. You can also have a contest for the best 80's outfit.

4. What kind of music should I play at the 80's theme show?

For an 80's theme show, you can play popular music from that decade such as Michael Jackson, Madonna, Prince, and Bon Jovi. You can also create a playlist of popular songs from 80's movies or TV shows.

5. What kind of activities can I plan for the 80's theme show?

There are many fun activities you can plan for an 80's theme show such as a lip-sync battle to 80's songs, a trivia game about 80's pop culture, or a dance-off to popular 80's hits. You can also have a photo booth with props and backgrounds that represent the 80's.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Intrepid_Chef
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
cmcchef
  • AshleyAllison
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
mspibb
  • twilcox