• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Their Butts Are Glued to the Seats!

In summary, the team member feels that interactive shows work best for younger crowds who have not been to many shows. They feel that some guests are feeling bullied and forced and that the success of an interactive show starts with not letting them sit down.
DessertDivaFL
Gold Member
OK, I just wanted to let everyone know that the interactive show idea is great, except the guests at the shows I do have their butts glued to the seats. :(

Seriously, it is like pulling teeth :D to get anyone to get up. Now I did have a group STAND around me in a host's kitchen but the host saw they were not enjoying that and got everyone a seat.

I think some people still enjoy the "older" version of the show. Is it OK for me to continue that way? I have found unique ways of asking someone to demo a product but they have their butts glued to the seats, I swear!

I start interactive and see how it goes.... if the seems like they are not into it then I just demo.

You can always talk with host and see what she likes and go from there. I had a show like that too, where nobody wanted to do anything. It can be frustrating. The host knows her friends, so she should be able to decide which type of show will work best for her crowd. This is your business, so do the shows that you want to do.

you do whatever works for you! Don't get hung up on thinking we HAVE to do interactive shows! I think they work better for crowds that are younger who have not been to as many shows.

chefmeg said:
you do whatever works for you! Don't get hung up on thinking we HAVE to do interactive shows! I think they work better for crowds that are younger who have not been to as many shows.

Good point. Thanks!

Just a suggestion...we (my cluster) have found the success of an interactive show starts with not letting them sit down. As soon as the guests start to come in, you or the host have to ask them to wash their hands and join everyone in the kitchen or where ever you are doing your demo..Usually once one or two are there already the rest follow..we did this at our last cluster meeting...honestly I was tired and looking forward to sitting my butt in a seat and not moving...but everyone else was in the kitchen so I followed in and we did the demo from there...some were already doing a task..chopping or dicing and then I was asked to do something and so on, it worked really well. Meanwhile the consultant talked about the products we were using and then about hosting, oppty, etc...I actually think this is a better show for someone to see if they may be asked to or interested in joining the business...it takes the focus off the consultant of standing in front of a crowd and performing....a concern for most in the beginning...and it is a lot of fun, who wouldn't want to do this job?
I personally have been waiting until everyone gets to the show, they sit down and then I start my thing and ask people to come up and NO ONE does...so I am doing what I mentioned above this week at my show..I'm excited because until I was part of the interactive show I didn't really think I liked the idea...but I do...especially for people who have been to so many shows and hosted alot it changes things up and if you are doing shows for repeat hosts, each new recipe is a different experience...
Good luck with which ever show you do.
Also it is a good idea to check with the host and see what type of show she thinks her guests would like...some people don't like change:)

Personally, I am comfortable with making sure my guests are happy. I do highly suggest people try products and some do.

I have one team member that is really pushing the interactive shows and yes, her sales have never been better. However, she is booking three shows a week which is a huge increase in her number of shows. I must check, but I do not see a huge increase in show averages although she feels they are. Just feel that some guests are feeling bullied and forced. I hear from this team member that they say they had the best time ever, but I also hear from some of the guests that they do not like it. (Long story I will not go into)

At a party last week I had a guest come in and say...I am so tired from work, I just want to sit and relax (there was no mention of an interactive party, but they had attended on the month before). When I demo, I do try to relate to a task that someone has difficulty with. When they say yes...I hate doing such and such, I can get them up to try a product.

For me, I have tried the interactive and I see a few that want to interact but for the most part, I see some unhappy (somewhat mad) faces. This is not what I call a party.

I have always had my set up close to the guests, but when I am not close enough, I bring my demo to the table where they are sitting so they are a part of the demo. And, as always, I highly encourage them to try, touch and feel the products.

Sorry I am rambling, but I have strong feelings about the guests' party experience. For me, I am not comfortable yet with this format for 100% of the party and so I mix the two. My team member is more comfortable with forcing the issue. To each their own, I guess!

pckrissy said:
Also it is a good idea to check with the host and see what type of show she thinks her guests would like...some people don't like change:)

Krissy, I loved your post and hopefully someday, I will find this comfort zone. I stongly agree with the last statement. Check with people! Sometimes I have heard hosts say yes to the interactive, but her guests do not agree!:eek: So I just do a little of both to sort of "take the temperature" of the crowd!

I am torn also. I have people tell me that they love the idea of the interactive show, but not everyone does. I tried to do a few interactive shows and they were almost completely a bomb, so I quit trying. I will mention it to the hostess as something they can try, but I don't force it.
I did find that when I was at a patio couples party it started to rain and the GUYS jumped up and started helping out. The ladies and I stood there shocked for a few seconds as the guys just went to town using all of the products. It was a lot of fun! But not always are we in a situation such as that where we can get it to work out so well.
I have also found that I am so busy answering questions on how the product is used that i don't really get to talk about and promote the product. Makes it tough for me, I am much more comfortable doing the demo myself. But then again I am a control freak who doesn't know how to delegate.
Shhh...don't let my family know that I admitted to that.

I will have to go back and read all the posts, but at my last show 2 ladies arrived first and we started to prep the rolls and hamburger for the cheeseburger salad, guest 1 said "this is punishment for arriving early" The host said no, you get to play with all the stuff" She relectantly helped and her friend didn't say anything she just sliced the rolls, when that was done I turn to get the other ingredients and they sat down and yelled to me "Can we see a book" My comment was I would rather wait till everyone arrives, helped her get a glass of wine. Someone on this site said get them as they walk in the door, I greet them, shake their hand and say "Set your purse down here, and junmp in the fun!

I make my shows semi-interactive. I let everyone sit down, and ask for volunteers. Forcing someone to "play with the products" when they don't want to is counter-productive.

I have recently been a guest at a jewelry show where we were asked to pick our favorite piece and put it on. OK, fine...little did I know that I was going to be forced to be in a fashion show later to model the piece. There is no fun in being forced to be part of the demonstration if you're not into it, it just made me annoyed. I went to the show so I could be with my friends and RELAX, and I understand when guests at my shows want to just sit back, watch, and learn. Let the people who are genuinely interested in trying out the product do so.

Just my two cents with my recent experience as being on "the other side of the demo table".

Just to add more comments to my thread:

The ones who had their butts glued to the seats were also some of my friends. They had been to shows before and they are used to just watching. I asked a friend about it and she said she likes to relax and doesn't want to feel any pressure and when she is relaxed she is more inclined to buy more. Well, can't argue with that because she has!

I've had mixed reaction to the new format. I find it is easier to do with smaller groups. I explain the new format to my host and give her the choice as to which show to do. Your host knows the people she has invited and will best know which type of show her guest would enjoy.

If the host selects the hands on, we both greet guest-explain the new format, have them wash hands/put on name tag. (no chairs at the table--move them away by the walls or out of the area) I have them jump in as soon as they get there--even if they are 15 min. early--I no longer do prepwork at this kind of show.

If I get a sense that someone seems uncomfortable I ask them to keep me in line & make sure I don't mess up the recipe. Ha ha. I tell them it's like having the buzzer when you are playing taboo. I then let the person keep the season's best for helping. Many times they end up joining in after a while and are more than happy to let me know if I or someone else messes up.

I then have them move to a different room, living area, to go over a few ordering details..pass out books and so on. By the time I'm done, the recipe is out of the oven and everyone can eat/order. I always ask for their opinion about the new format at check-out. Most people say they enjoy it.

As far as sales, haven't seen it helping--but then there is the economy thing---still up in the air as to if it helps or not.

it is totally counter-productive to have guests do something they don't want....it is a matter of courtesy to someone to ask if they would like to help, rather than forcing anyone to do it your way....I like the interactive show, but it will not work for everyone, just as games won't or will....

This is YOUR business and you should not feel obligated to do the interactive shows if you're not comfortable with them.

I ask my host during host coaching calls if she is interested, or if her guests would be interested in the interactive style and then I go from there.

The bottom line is... do what you are comfortable with and make sure your guests are having a good time.

I have done the shows both ways interactively I mean. Depending on number of people at the start time etc., what recipe we're doing and how helpful the host is.
I try to get them all jumped in at the very beginning but when only 1 or 2 people actually arrive on time I may have them go and look at a catalog in another room while we're waiting for a few more to arrive. (no later than 10-15 min. after start time though) After everyone arrives I go into detail on the interactive show. I thank the host, present her with a Season's Best everyone can sign, then we go through introductions, fav. product of each guest, how they know the host, etc. Then after all that is done I explain what recipe we'll be doing and that Everyone gets to help and direct them to the kitchen to wash their hands. Now, everyone does usually get up and comes to the table. I will go over each "station" that I have set up and quickly show the products for that station and what their task will be to complete the recipe. After I'm done I ask 1 to 2 guests (per station) if they would like to "chop the nuts", next would these people like to "measure the _____". Most of the time when I ask them individually they will help out. Though I have had a few tell me know they would rather watch. Those particular people I ask if they would mind reading the recipe, etc.
Though some people would rather sit, I'll let them look at the books and shop. My main issue is when we use the kitchen table, sometimes the host won't pull the chairs out away from the table. Some guests may see the chairs there and pull them out to sit in. However, there are some people that are just plain lazy! :rolleyes:

I've only done a few shows, so I'm not an expert. :) But I'm still setting up and getting the recipe ready when people come in. People tend to come to the kitchen to see what's up and that's when I greet them and tell them what the show is going to be like and that they could wash their hands and jump right in. People seem to arrive at different times, so I don't want to have a real late start. Doing this helps me to keep the show to 45 min to an hour. The one-on-one with each guest as they are arriving and I'm talking to them seems to go well. They are excited to see what everyone else is doing and then they are eager to jump in, or at least are intrigued and watch on the side. I also make sure the chairs are not around the counter/table. I specifically tell the host to have everyone set their personal items down where we'll be sitting later as we browse the catalog. I think if they sit in the catalog/shopping area, it'll be hard to get them to come back to the kitchen/demo area.

Sometimes, this reminds me of holidays when the women are all hanging out in the kitchen, watching, helping prepare, and chatting. Lots of fun and very relaxed.

chefmeg said:

I completely agree!!! I tried the interactive show and found that it does not work well for me. But at least I can say I tried it. Do what you like and works for you!

eek!
I have been doing interactive or semi so for so long that when I had my show yesterday and they all were seated politely and quietly waiting for me to start it was freaky!!
I just laughed and said they were giving me the heebie jeebies and started my Pampered chef lecture :p
It was fun, but I was so unused to it that I felt like I didn't know what I was doing. Didn't help that I was doing a trifle ( I Hate these!)
oh well, live and learn. I think I need to sneak into Deb's workshop!!

I've been doing interactive shows since Jan., but I have had mixed results. Initially, I had a lot of people booking shows b/c they said it was "fun", but I have heard a lot of the "this is too much work" comments lately, and my bookings have dried up to nothing. I had a much bigger show avg. when I was doing the old format, so I think I may go back to that format and see how it goes. I was simplifying a lot with the interactive, and I think I was missing a lot of what made my show "fun" (I have heard that before on this site, too).

To answer the original question on how to get ppl out of their seats, I have been setting up one room as the "demo" room, and just have a table with the products and ingredients set up on it. No chairs are in this room at all, so no one able to sit down. I make sure there are PLENTY of chairs and sofas in the other room where I tell everyone, "Don't worry, we'll only be cooking for 15 - 20 min. and then we'll relax and chat about this season's new products in the other room while we sample the recipe." That seems to help, and allows the people who have no interest in helping with the demo to just sit in the other room and peruse the catalog to their heart's content (which they do!).

I have always gotten my guests involved in my shows, and was very much like Jillian Eisenberg's shows. I tried to be more like Jennifer (in the Cooking Shows In Action DVD), but I feel really pushy and it's just not my style. I think I'm going to try going back to Jillian's/my style this summer and fall and see if it makes a difference.

If you're not willing to try new things, then you can never grow, so I'm a big proponent of change, but a lot of people are not comfortable with change, so we definitely have to be mindful of that. I think as long as we are not rude and treat each guest with respect, then we will have good shows no matter what! Hope this helps! :)

Love, love, love to hear everyone's honest experience. Again, I have one person that swears business is booming because of the interactive so yesterday, I did stats going back to Jan. 07.

This person's show average is not up on a consistent basis. They have become more detemined to do more parties and that is happening so if one were to compare paychecks from year to year...yes, her business is booming. Yet at meetings is determined to convince others that the interactive is the only way to go.

My business has been terrible lately and I am struggling to get it back where it belongs. Last night we lost power from 6 pm until 10:30 pm so that shot the Sunday night phone calling all to heck!

In this person's view, their business is soaring and mine is not currently. To this person, it is the interactive...for me, it is just not getting and/or making the calls I need to!

My point...therapy...(thank you and don't send me the bill!!) and the fact that we all should relax and make sure our guests get what THEY want from the party. I agree that getting the products into people's hands is critical, but only if they are willing. The jewerly party senario is a great case in point.

I usually start my show with something like "I'm going to let you guys play with the products tonight". I haven't done many shows, but only once have I gotten a negative type response. The whole group agreed that they had come to be Pampered and not to work. So, I did the whole demo myself. Every once in awhile I would ask if someone wanted to try something and did get a few volunteers. I think it works best if the consultant is flexible.

I did my very first interactive show last Fri and it bombed...

There were about 15 guests, I sent out invites that clearly stated it was going to be all hands on and one by one, guests filed in and stated they were not doing anything and only wanted to watch.

When I started the presentation, literally half of the guests walked away from me and went into another room! I had specifically not had the catalogs out for them to view, I had them in my crate, but someone must have spotted them because when I looked over at them, they were all browsing it. I was seriously irritated.

FORTUNATELY, it did not deter from my sales (just closed her at $1001.00) but I got NO bookings from it, other than 2 who could not make the party and booked ahead of time.

I don't think I'll ever do another interactive again.

chefsteph07 said:
I did my very first interactive show last Fri and it bombed...

There were about 15 guests, I sent out invites that clearly stated it was going to be all hands on and one by one, guests filed in and stated they were not doing anything and only wanted to watch.

When I started the presentation, literally half of the guests walked away from me and went into another room! I had specifically not had the catalogs out for them to view, I had them in my crate, but someone must have spotted them because when I looked over at them, they were all browsing it. I was seriously irritated.

FORTUNATELY, it did not deter from my sales (just closed her at $1001.00) but I got NO bookings from it, other than 2 who could not make the party and booked ahead of time.

I don't think I'll ever do another interactive again.

Oh, don't give up on it so soon!
I was completely thrown when one of my interactive shows didn't go so well since that was all I had trained for but I managed to wing it.

Obviously, it's up to you, but I would keep it as a possibility. If you don't like planning on interactive (and then just doing a solo demo if the group doesn't like it), maybe you could give hosts the option when they book with you. I think it really just varies on the group. Any time men have been part of the audience, they have LOVED the interactive shows. Also, it seems that the younger crowd likes it, while the little bit of an older set would prefer to watch. And I've noticed if the show is after work during the week, people would prefer to watch but when it was on the weekend, they liked to participate.

BTW, congrats on the kilo show!:thumbup:

I had actually started doing this type of show before the company suggested it. The reason I started was I was having returning hosts and the same people were attending. This was a way to make sure they say something new and had a good experience. I like doing the interactive show but it doesn't always work.
One trick I have found that helps is I take hand sanitizer to the show and at the beginning when I am thanking everyone for attending. I go around and squirt sanitizer in their hands and let them know they will be helping me tonight. A bold move...Yes but almost everyone wants the sanitizer. I do get a few that excuse themselves because of a cold or I had a bad day or I don't cook, etc. but for the most part they will participate.
The biggest secret to successful interactive shows is, choose recipes that blend well, and use different products for each one. I focus on power cooking recipes with hamburger or chicken. If there is more than one can to open, I pre open all but one, drain the excess juice if necessary of all but one, have onions already peeled. Some of the ingredients already premeasured and sitting in prep or pinch bowls. When I use the prep bowls, I talk about them and usually the scrapers or the egg separator and how it sets on the side.

I also let me hosts know that I focus on interactive shows and if her house won't allow it, then we do a traditional show but make sure that we are passing products around the room the entire show.

Hope this helps. Any questions, just ask.

When I hosted a show back in October, my consultant (now upline), had a goodie basket. For everyone that volunteered, they got to choose one item from the basket. They didn't know what they were getting, she had them wrapped, but everyone was willing to help to get a gift.

candiejayne said:
When I hosted a show back in October, my consultant (now upline), had a goodie basket. For everyone that volunteered, they got to choose one item from the basket. They didn't know what they were getting, she had them wrapped, but everyone was willing to help to get a gift.

what did she give away?

scrappers, citrus peeler, mini whisk, just little things we can buy in "bulk".

That's a good idea!
Except for the wrapping part..yuck! LOL

I've had great success having all the guests' names on little slips of paper in a stainless mixing bowl. I draw the first "voluntold", then the guest that does a recipe step draws the next name for the next step. That way everyone can sit and relax, and come up only for a few minutes. When each name is called, everyone claps, whistles, etc...for the demo-er, who also gets a playing card. (The first one to show up gets a card, any bus. op. questions, then play poker at the end for a prize) .....it's been really fun, and good bookings (knock on wood)

I just listened to a cd of a Cooking Show Live, and the consultant passed around the Large Square Bowl filled with products at the beginning of her show. She told everyone to pick something from the bowl, but didn't explain anything about why, just that they should take a good look at it and get acquainted with it if they didn't know how to use it. As she does her demo, she asks for the person with whatever product to come up and do that step of the recipe. For instance, I could say "Susie, I see you have the food chopper. Can you please bring that up here and chop up this carrot?" If they need instruction on how to use the product, she gives it, but it gets people up there. I've never been a huge fan of the entirely interactive demo (the butt glue problem at my shows too), but this seems like it would work.

I have a show tomorrow...oohh...later today that booked ONLY b/c of the interactive show she attended. I was a little surprised b/c of the 25 people and utter chaos it felt like. But several people said they really enjoyed the show and I had 4 booking, 3 of which occurred within 2.5 months! I think you do need to check with the host and I tell them YOU need to be excited about it. No one is forced to help and they don't have to get up to see the recipe being made. That's up to them. Usually people do. Even those not intending to sometimes. My sales have increased b/c of this. People intending to buy only a couple things, buy more b/c they used them. THEN they sell them to others. I can tell b/c I'm selling several of items that I don't sell a ton of. Also, I'm booking more shows b/c of it. I don't talk much about booking or anything else b/c it's practically a free for all at some, but those are the BEST shows! Biggest numbers and most bookings.

I am loving using the interactive format! I don't begin my shows at the prep area though. I let them sit, thank them for coming, do introductions, and then I do this:
I ask if anyone has been to a PC show recently, it's usually a very mixed group of course.
Then I say, "Well I know for some of you it has been awhile since you have been to a show, and some things have changed. Many of you can remember sitting there and watching your consultant prepare the recipe and demo all of our great products, but now we're going to do it together! We will all work on the recipe, and you will have a chance to try anything you want to get your hands on. So now, I would love you all to come up here and we'll get started."
^^ It's lengthy I know! But they come up, and when they get really excited about a product, they will all try it. I've had shows where I think every guest tried the santoku knife.
Then if the recipe bakes, or as they eat, they sit back down and I go over things we didn't or can't demo like booking, cookware, anything else I want them to know, and sometimes play a game.
It seems to be working... maybe if you want to do it, try weaving it in in little bits.

I am a newby, started in November. But I have done all my shows as interactive shows, if rooms allow we start in the sitting area with introductions and product info and then we head to the food prep area (either dinning table or kitchen table), washing their hands as we transfer and all stand around the table.

I have 3 cutting boards out with the food chopper on one, knives on another and mandoline on another, also the peeler over a bowl. I then talk about the products whilst they use them to prepare the ingredients and they take turns of there own accord.

When the dish is ready to go in the oven, I ask guest that own a product already to pick it up, (rinsing it clean if necessary) and take it back with them to the seating area.

Then we talk about the products they have picked up and why they like them.

Most enjoy the evening and say it has been a great social occassion.

I came up with a idea to help me get people involved and tried it last night and it worked really well! I made the truffle brownie cups. I printed the main tools used for the recipe onto small pieces of paper squares and put them in a bowl. When all of the guests arrived I asked each person to take a paper from the bowl (I didn't explain why). I then started the demo. I never asked a guest "if" they wanted to help me or try a product, I just asked who in the group had the silicone basting brush? That person came up and I told her what to do with it. I then explained the benefits of the product as the guest used the product to prep the mini muffin pan. I thanked the guest when she was done and asked who had the stainless whisk. That person came up and while she whisked the brownie mix I, again, explained the benefits of the products she was using (whisk and batter bowl). I kept going through the recipe and not one person complained about participating, even people I anticipated a complaint from based on first impressions. I also never felt like I lost control of the recipe (it kept it very organized). I was able to give more quality infomation because I wasn't trying to do two things at once and the guest could immediately validate what I was saying because she was fully using the product. If you have a small crowd have them choose two pieces of paper.

I just realized that this clearly was not an original idea on my part :) I didn't read all of the previous posts until now. Either way...it really worked! :)

I have changed the format of my parties and IT IS WORKING!

Before the party I make name tags for each guest that have the name of a product we will be using instead of their real name.

When the guest comes in I have the HOST place a name tag on his/her guest. As I go through introductions, I ask them to state their product name and tell me if they have it and what they like about it. If they don't have it, it gives me a chance to tell them why they should.

As I go through the demo I call each guest up based on what product they are and when it is used in the recipe. They get a big kick out of it and everyone gets a turn.

Have your HOST get involved too. I think if they see their friend interacting, they will also.

Since I started this thread I guess I should update it.

Well, no glue on the butts anymore! In fact, this Thursday I have a show with 18 confirmed guests. So I have a strategy of having Team Skillet and Team Trifle. No one will know which team they are on until they pick a random playing card. The red cards will be skillet (hot dish) and the black cards are trifle (chocolate recipe). I will have equal number of black and red so the teams are even. I will start them at the same time and they should be finished at the same time. I will see how it goes. I think it will be fun!

Any thoughts?

Wow, we are reviving some old threads lately! LOLI only do the interactive shows. I tell the group that it's an interactive show, then invite them all to come wash their hands so we can get started. The first ones ready to go - get to pick which recipe they work on. That seems to get them up and moving. As long as they are going to be involved, they seem to be in a hurry to be first so that they can choose which recipe they do! ;)

Related to Their Butts Are Glued to the Seats!

1. Can I continue to do the "older" version of the show where guests are seated?

Yes, it is completely fine for you to continue doing the traditional seated version of the show. Some guests may prefer this style and it is important to cater to what makes them most comfortable.

2. How can I get guests to participate in the interactive show?

One way to encourage participation is by offering a small incentive, such as a raffle ticket or a small prize, for volunteers. You can also try using humor or creating a fun and relaxed atmosphere to make guests more at ease.

3. What if guests are not enjoying the interactive show?

If you notice that guests are not enjoying the interactive show, it is important to adapt and make changes to ensure everyone is having a good time. You can always switch back to the traditional seated format or try different ways of engaging the audience.

4. Can I ask guests to participate in product demonstrations?

Yes, you can definitely ask guests to participate in product demonstrations. It may help to give them a brief explanation of what they will be doing and how it will benefit them. You can also offer to assist them or guide them through the demo if they feel uncomfortable.

5. What if guests are not willing to get up from their seats?

If guests are not willing to get up from their seats, don't force them. It's important to respect their comfort level and find other ways to engage them, such as asking them questions or involving them in other activities throughout the show.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• slhalepc
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
pcsharon1
  • chefmeg
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
pampered1224
Replies