• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

so what can I do?Claiming Utilities on Taxes: Office Use Questions

In summary, you can claim a portion of your electricity, heating, and water bills for your home office. You may also be able to claim internet and phone expenses, depending on the percentage of your usage for business purposes. To calculate the amount of utilities you can claim, you will need to determine the percentage of your home that is used for your office. It is important to keep all receipts and records of your calculations for the percentage of your home used for business purposes in case of an audit by the IRS. If you have a separate structure for your home office, you can claim 100% of your utility expenses for that space as a business expense. Even if you only work from home occasionally, you may still be able to claim a
Jennie4PC
Just wondering if there is a way to claim your utilities on your taxes if you use your office for other things like school? Turbo Tax says that you can only claim it if you use your office exclisivly for your business,

Just a reminder to consult a professional when in doubt. One problem with claiming office related expenses is the interpretation by the IRS. I think that is why a larger % of self-employed and independent contractors are targeted for audits. Some deductions are very clear and others are less so like the home office.

but I use my office for personal things too.Unfortunately, in order to claim your utilities on your taxes, you must use the space exclusively for business purposes. This means that if you also use the office for personal activities, you are not eligible to claim the expenses on your taxes. Turbo Tax is correct in stating that the space must be used exclusively for business in order to claim the expenses.

1. What utilities can I claim on my taxes for my home office?

You can claim a portion of your electricity, heating, and water bills for your home office. You may also be able to claim internet and phone expenses, depending on the percentage of your usage for business purposes.

2. How do I calculate the amount of utilities I can claim?

To calculate the amount of utilities you can claim, you will need to determine the percentage of your home that is used for your office. For example, if your office takes up 10% of your total home space, you can claim 10% of your utility bills as a business expense.

3. Do I need to keep receipts for my utility expenses?

Yes, it is important to keep all receipts for your utility expenses in case of an audit by the IRS. You should also keep records of your calculations for the percentage of your home used for business purposes.

4. Can I claim utilities if I use a separate space for my home office?

Yes, if you have a separate structure, such as a converted garage or a detached office, you can claim 100% of your utility expenses for that space as a business expense.

5. Can I claim utilities if I only work from home occasionally?

If you only work from home occasionally, you may still be able to claim a portion of your utility expenses. However, you will need to prove that your home office is used regularly and exclusively for business purposes. It is best to consult with a tax professional for specific guidelines in this situation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jenf
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
lacychef
  • SandiLeigh
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • E R