• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Do You All Itemize on Your Taxes?

I usually don't take all deductions, Like I forget a class I paid for a couple of times and it would've fallen under the Education Expense deduction. So if you forget to include something on your return, it's not the end of the world. Just keep track of what you did include and compare it to the instructions that came with the tax software.The Turbo Tax software will guide you through the process and help you identify any deductions that you may be eligible for.
PamperedChefDebi
Silver Member
I'm starting to wonder if it's really worth it for me. I started in Feb 06 and I hit $15,000 career sales in Dec, so I did OK for the year. BUT, we're military and we moved onto the base in July so no rent or utilities for my home office to deduct from July on. I have played around with Turbo Tax Business but I didn't break the minimum deduction yet and I've added in everything except utilities from Feb - Jun. I don't want to pay so much more to file if it's not even worth it for me.

Also, because I'm overseas and I earned my income here, I qualify for the Foreign Income Credit so none of my PC income is actually taxed. (Cool huh?)

Please give me your advice/thoughts.

TIA!

Anybody? Anybody? Bueller?

If your income is not taxed I wouldn't! However my annal DH is saying do it both ways and see what works better for you.

Yes, do it both ways and see how you come out better. Since you do not have a mortgage tax like most of us, the standard might be better for you. We didn't itemize until we had a mortgage. Good luck!!

If your PC income is not taxed can you use the deductions from your pc business because those deductions are to lower you taxable income from pc and you can't get any lower than none. :confused: You may want to contact an accountant instead of the box. I don't suggest H & R as they usually just type in the numbers you need to talk to someone who knows what they are talking about.

I have actually spoken to a Financial Advisor who also has his business here in Germany though he only works with Americans. He works for my Director also and that is how I found out. He actually came to one of our Cluster Meetings to give us some pointers.

My retirement income and my husband's income are still taxable so the deduction affects that, whether we take the standard one or itemize. I just hate figuring all this out for nothing. Keep in mind, all my rent and utilities are in Euro so I have to convert it all to Dollars. Yuck!

Thanks for your input everyone!

just my opinion...
PamperedChefDebi said:
I have actually spoken to a Financial Advisor who also has his business here in Germany though he only works with Americans. He works for my Director also and that is how I found out. He actually came to one of our Cluster Meetings to give us some pointers.

My retirement income and my husband's income are still taxable so the deduction affects that, whether we take the standard one or itemize. I just hate figuring all this out for nothing. Keep in mind, all my rent and utilities are in Euro so I have to convert it all to Dollars. Yuck!

Thanks for your input everyone!

I figured my own taxes for yrs, then I got a large settlement and took my Dad's advice and invested it only to lose more $$, I was young and didn't realize it had to sit for yrs to make money, anyways, I chose to use our family business' CPA who was a little over 1 hr South of us. Due to me losing $$ in Mutual Funds, he didn't calculate something right and I had to pay a penalty with int. of about 1800.00. Since then I pretty much had gone back to doing my own, I used to do own on paper, but now I've used Turbo Tax and absoultely love it. This yr. I bought a house so I went ahead and purchased Turbo Tax / Schedule C. In the past I didn't want to figure out deductions of DSA's separately it was totally confusing, but with this program I should be fine :) Turbo TAx guides you and fills in all forms and it will give you the best way to go in the end. I'm waiting on W2's as I don't know where my last pay stub is from a PT job I did last yr!!!

My mom wants me to use her free Tax guy and I saiD NO. I"m tired of them screwing me out of more money. If CPA's or anyone makes a mistake on your form they're only the preparer and you can't get much out of them, I tried, but it wasn't worth it. So if I make a mistake then I have no one to blame except myself!

Usually I don't take all deductions, Like I forgot a class I paid for a couple of times and it would've fallen under the LifeLearning or something like that.

Good Luck.

ps: I've usually filed by now, but this yr. I may have to pay in a penalty. I sure hope my house deductions (mortgage) and other things offset it enough that I won't have to pay in, but I"m afraid I'm still going to have to :( I cashed in a large pension and thought it would be a hardship for 1st time home buyer's but not this one :(

Liz

Thanks Liz! I have used TurboTax for several years as well but never had anything to deduct except childcare. I LOVE TurboTax. Even checked out TaxAct because of recommendations on here, but I'm more comfortable with TurboTax. And I feel the same way you do....if someone else screws it up, it's still my fault so I'd rather do it myself.

I'm actually going to try it both ways and see what happens. I'm checking out the Deluxe version right now.

Thanks again Liz!

We get to itemize State but not Federal. Our health insurance is set up on the "cafateria" plan where it comes out before Federal taxes, so, that makes us unable to itemize on Federal.

1. How do I know if I should itemize on my taxes?

Whether or not you should itemize on your taxes depends on your individual financial situation. Generally, if your itemized deductions exceed the standard deduction amount, it may be beneficial for you to itemize. It's recommended to consult with a tax professional or use tax software to determine which option is best for you.

2. What expenses can I itemize on my taxes?

You can itemize various expenses such as mortgage interest, state and local taxes, charitable donations, and certain medical expenses. It's important to keep accurate records and receipts for any expenses you plan to itemize.

3. Can I switch between itemizing and taking the standard deduction each year?

Yes, you can choose to itemize or take the standard deduction each year. However, it's important to keep in mind that once you choose to itemize, you must continue to do so for all future tax returns unless your financial situation changes significantly.

4. Is itemizing on my taxes worth the extra effort?

This depends on your individual financial situation. For some taxpayers, itemizing can result in a larger tax refund or lower tax liability. It's recommended to compare the potential benefits of itemizing against the standard deduction to determine if it's worth the extra effort for you.

5. Do I need to itemize if I have a small business?

If you have a small business, you may be eligible for certain deductions and credits that can lower your tax liability. It's recommended to consult with a tax professional or use tax software to determine which deductions and credits you can claim as a small business owner.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jj16
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
jenniferm
Replies
Views
pamperedbecky
  • Cookin Kristen
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies