• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Do Military Spouses Have to Pay State Taxes in Their Stationed Location?

In summary, military members are eligible for various tax breaks, including tax-free combat pay, tax-free housing and food allowances, and a tax credit for moving expenses. Military pay is considered taxable income, but certain types of pay, such as combat pay, may be tax-free. There are special tax considerations for military members stationed overseas, including an automatic extension of time to file and the potential exclusion of foreign income from taxable income. Unfortunately, military uniforms are not tax-deductible, but some uniform-related expenses may be eligible for a deduction. If you need help with your military taxes, you can consult with a tax professional, use specialized tax software, or seek assistance from the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.
erinyourpclady
Gold Member
OK...so I have googled this to death and thought I better ask someone who might know!
My DH is a Marine and we are stationed in Virginia. Our state of residence is California but we are exempt from California taxes and DH would not pay Virginia taxes. So...do I pay Virginia taxes? Technically I "worked" in the state but every time I try to find out information on non resident state tax I become an alien! The whole time we were overseas my income was tax free!

TIA!

I think each state is different, BUT, in NM, I pay income tax on what I earned as a TPC consultant only. My DH is a Washington resident (no tax), so he pays NO New Mexico Taxes.

Call HR Block. When I first looked at joining TPC, that was my major question. I called them and asked, and they answered it right then and there over the phone.

HTH!

Thanks Nicole~
I did figure it out! I filled out all the forms we need so I am good now.

I just had a panic moment since DH is on the other side of the world and we are trying to do our taxes via e-mail!!

1. What are the tax benefits for military members?

Military members are eligible for various tax breaks, including tax-free combat pay, tax-free housing and food allowances, and a tax credit for moving expenses. They may also be able to deduct certain expenses related to their service, such as travel expenses for reservists and National Guard members.

2. Do I have to pay taxes on my military pay?

Yes, military pay is considered taxable income and must be reported on your tax return. However, certain types of pay, such as combat pay, may be tax-free.

3. Are there any special tax considerations for military members stationed overseas?

Yes, military members stationed overseas may qualify for an automatic extension of time to file their taxes. They may also be able to exclude some or all of their foreign income from their taxable income. It's important to consult with a tax professional or use a tax software specifically designed for military members to ensure all applicable tax breaks are taken.

4. Can I deduct my military uniform expenses?

Unfortunately, military uniforms are not tax-deductible. However, certain uniform-related expenses, such as the cost of cleaning and maintaining uniforms, may be eligible for a tax deduction if they are not reimbursed by the military.

5. How can I get help with my military taxes?

If you need assistance with your military taxes, there are several resources available. You can consult with a tax professional, use a tax software designed for military members, or seek help from the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, which offers free tax preparation services to military members and their families.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• PamperedChefDebi
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
jrstephens
  • pampchefrhondab
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
AnaCash
  • The_Kitchen_Guy