• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Tax Info Retention: How Long Do We Need to Keep Records?

In summary, the IRS recommends keeping tax records for at least 3 years, including records of income, expenses, deductions, and supporting documents. Digital copies are generally acceptable, but it is important to keep backups. Some records, such as those related to property and investments, should be kept for at least 7 years. Failure to keep tax records for the recommended time period may result in disallowed deductions, penalties, and interest on unpaid taxes in the case of an audit.
MissChef
Gold Member
I have been doing PC for almost 9 years! How many years do we have to hold onto our tax info, you know when we file our taxes, how long to we need to hold on to all the paperwork that goes with it! Is it 5 years? I don't remember. The numbers 3,5,&7 come into my mind!:rolleyes:

And don't we have to hold on to pay stubs (for my husband) for 3 years?

TIA

Hold on to past tax returns for 7 years. I'm not sure about pay stubs.

Thanks Danielle!
In my opinion 7 years is ridiculous! 5 years would be better! Oh well!
Thanks again!;)

I think as long as you have your W2, you don't need pay stubs.

I don't know about the actual paperwork but I was told by my accountant Wednesday to hold onto my reciepts for 3 years...

MissChef said:
Thanks Danielle!
In my opinion 7 years is ridiculous! 5 years would be better! Oh well!
Thanks again!;)

I think it's ridiculous that with today's technology we have to hold on to it at all. :)

I was thinking 7 years for anything that would need to be shown in an audit, should that happen. Hopefully it won't.

The IRS can only audit 3 years from the date the return was due. There's no need to hold onto paperwork longer.

1. How long do we need to keep tax records for our business?

The IRS recommends keeping tax records for at least 3 years, but some documents should be kept for longer periods of time.

2. What records should we keep for tax purposes?

You should keep records of all income, expenses, and deductions for your business, as well as any supporting documents such as receipts and bank statements.

3. Do we need to keep physical copies of our tax records or are digital copies sufficient?

Digital copies are generally acceptable, but make sure to keep backups in case of computer malfunctions or loss of data.

4. Are there any exceptions to the recommended 3-year retention period?

Yes, some records should be kept for longer periods of time, such as records related to property and investments, which should be kept for at least 7 years.

5. What happens if we do not keep tax records for the recommended time period?

If you are audited and cannot provide the necessary records, the IRS may disallow your deductions and you could face penalties and interest on any unpaid taxes.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • lisacb77
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
pampchefrhondab
  • Leanna