• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Surprising Carrot Cake for a 90th Birthday Bash!

In summary, Rae is baking a carrot cake in a new silicone crown cake pan with cream cheese frosting and sprinkles, and plans to transport it separately in a Chillzanne Mini-Bowl.
raebates
Staff member
We just decided that we're attending a carry-in tomorrow, so I was looking for something to throw together to take. Right now, in my oven, there's a box mix carrot cake (with a little orange extract added in to kick it up a notch) in the new Silicone Crown Cake Pan.

I thought I'd fill the center with cream cheese frosting. That will look appealing and let each person decide how much to add to their cake. (I'll take a Bamboo Spooner along with the Slice N Serve.) The frosting is simple:

1 8 oz brick of cream cheese
12 oz sour cream
1/2 c milk (or less, depending on desired thickness)
3 c powdered sugar (or to taste)
1/2 t PC vanilla

I had mixed everything. It's sort of the consistency of pudding after refrigerating. Then I had a thought. An evil thought. I mixed about 1/4 cup of the Sweet Cinnamon Sprinkles into the cream cheese frosting. I'll be sprinkling a bit of the sprinkles on top for garnish.

What do you think? The carry-in is a 90th birthday party for The Furry Guy's great aunt. This will be my first time meeting most of the people there, so I want to make a good impression. ;)

Sounds yummy to me and I bet it will look fantastic!

Mmmmmmmm! I LOVE carrot cake - that sounds fabulous!

But you would make a good first impression just by being you, Rae.

MMM...that sounds really good!!!

You impressed me already! I have no doubt you will impress the socks off of The Furry Guy's family that you haven't met. There will be no wonder why he chose you ;):love:. Enjoy!

Yuuuuuuummy, love the frosting in the middle idea. Some people don't like frosting but this sounds so good it may actually be gone before the cake! :)

Awww, you guys are so sweet. Thank you. :)I really thought of the frosting in the middle because neither The Furry Guy nor our DS are big frosting fans. BTW, I'm not too worried about impressing his family. I mean, it's not like he's going to throw me back. He's already told me that he has too much money invested in my medical bills to turn me in for another model. LOL!

raebates said:
Awww, you guys are so sweet. Thank you. :)

I really thought of the frosting in the middle because neither The Furry Guy nor our DS are big frosting fans.

BTW, I'm not too worried about impressing his family. I mean, it's not like he's going to throw me back. He's already told me that he has too much money invested in my medical bills to turn me in for another model. LOL!

You are hilarious!!! :D You sound like such a fun couple!

Sounds YUMBO to me!

Addie4TLC said:
You are hilarious!!! :D You sound like such a fun couple!

Thanks. Other people don't always find us humorous, but that's okay. We crack ourselves up. We have a lot of fun together, which isn't bad after 23 years of marriage. :love:

raebates said:
Thanks. Other people don't always find us humorous, but that's okay. We crack ourselves up. We have a lot of fun together, which isn't bad after 23 years of marriage. :love:

Well you will get the last laugh becuase you will have a longer life and marriage! 23 Very impressive! I'm nearing 13 in October.

Having fun and enjoying each other and still laughing together (and at) is the best secret anyone can have to a happy marriage - I am married 21 WONDERFUL years to my BFF and soulmate - we still laugh everyday! ( HOW DID HE GET SO LUCKY -NO HOW DID YOU GET SO LUCKY! lol - )

We met at Hills at the mall in Marion, IN, on July 4, 1984, while waiting for the fireworks to start. I had just filed for divorce, and so I wasn't dating. However, he began hanging out with a group of my friends. Honestly, he wasn't funny when he met me. I wasn't adventurous when I met him. We've been good for one another. Laughter and a commitment to put Christ as the center of our marriage have helped to make it a good, solid marriage. Well, that and the threat I made when we decided to get married. I told him I would never go through another divorce. If he ever made me want one, I'd just stay with him and make his life a living nightmare. Trust me, I could do it. ;)We'll have a drive to the party, so I've decided to take the filling separately in a Chillzanne Mini-Bowl. It will transport easier that way, and I can add more if it's needed.

Rae, is a "carry in" the same as a "pot-luck?"

Yup! They're the same thing.

Sounds yummy.....take a pic and post. Maybe I didn't understand, how are you getting the filling inside the cake? Or are you just letting people spoon it over their slice of cake!!

LOL - I think it's different depending on your region...

Covered-Dish
Potluck
Carry-In

Any other thing it's called when everyone brings something to contribute to the meal?

byrd1956 said:
Sounds yummy.....take a pic and post. Maybe I didn't understand, how are you getting the filling inside the cake? Or are you just letting people spoon it over their slice of cake!!

The cake is a circle (think crown-shaped angel food cake). I'll fill the center hole with the pudding-like frosting. Make sense?

raebates said:
We just decided that we're attending a carry-in tomorrow, so I was looking for something to throw together to take. Right now, in my oven, there's a box mix carrot cake (with a little orange extract added in to kick it up a notch) in the new Silicone Crown Cake Pan.

I thought I'd fill the center with cream cheese frosting. That will look appealing and let each person decide how much to add to their cake. (I'll take a Bamboo Spooner along with the Slice N Serve.) The frosting is simple:

12 oz sour cream
1/2 t PC vanilla

I had mixed everything. It's sort of the consistency of pudding after refrigerating. Then I had a thought. An evil thought. I mixed about 1/4 cup of the Sweet Cinnamon Sprinkles into the cream cheese frosting. I'll be sprinkling a bit of the sprinkles on top for garnish.

What do you think? The carry-in is a 90th birthday party for The Furry Guy's great aunt. This will be my first time meeting most of the people there, so I want to make a good impression. ;)

I'm drooling! Can you mail me a slice?

raebates said:

12 oz sour cream
1/2 t PC vanilla

I add a small can of crushed pineapple and 1/2 cup of coconut and 1/2 cup of walnuts to my boxed carrot cake mix- DIVINE~~

No slices until tomorrow. If there's any left, we'll talk. LOL!

I could have added coconut if I'd thought of it. I'll try to remember that next time. Didn't have the other things in the house. Frankly, I was surprised to find the carrot cake. I sometimes buy cake mixes when they're on sale, but I don't make cakes very often.

raebates said:
I could have added coconut if I'd thought of it. I'll try to remember that next time. Didn't have the other things in the house. Frankly, I was surprised to find the carrot cake. I sometimes buy cake mixes when they're on sale, but I don't make cakes very often.

I just love cake- especially cupcakes! :) Mmmmmm cake coma's! LOL

Cake (even cupcakes) doesn't go well with good diabetes control. I make lots of baked goodies, but I don't usually eat them. I did taste the frosting as I finished it up, though. I mean, I had to make sure it was okay to serve to real people*. Right?Family members who live in your home don't count as real people. Don't worry. The Furry Guy knows he doesn't count as real people. LOL!

raebates said:
Cake (even cupcakes) doesn't go well with good diabetes control. I make lots of baked goodies, but I don't usually eat them. I did taste the frosting as I finished it up, though. I mean, I had to make sure it was okay to serve to real people*. Right?

Family members who live in your home don't count as real people. Don't worry. The Furry Guy knows he doesn't count as real people. LOL!
LOL and it isn't the best thing for insulin resistance, either... but one can dream of cake!

I love cake
I might go make a lemon one for the chubby hubby....;)

Isn't it cool to be able to learn different expressions from other areas of the country? Do you ever think about how far communication has come and how quickly ideas can be passed from one to another?

OK, that's enough deep thinking. Go back to the yummy cake!

raebates said:
We met at Hills at the mall in Marion, IN, on July 4, 1984, while waiting for the fireworks to start. I had just filed for divorce, and so I wasn't dating. However, he began hanging out with a group of my friends. Honestly, he wasn't funny when he met me. I wasn't adventurous when I met him. We've been good for one another.

Laughter and a commitment to put Christ as the center of our marriage have helped to make it a good, solid marriage. Well, that and the threat I made when we decided to get married. I told him I would never go through another divorce. If he ever made me want one, I'd just stay with him and make his life a living nightmare. Trust me, I could do it. ;)

We'll have a drive to the party, so I've decided to take the filling separately in a Chillzanne Mini-Bowl. It will transport easier that way, and I can add more if it's needed.

Awww that is a cute story. You described the Triple Cord (God in the center) = Good Solid Marriage.

Gives me hope for my sister, she is going through a very sad divorce right now and she's afraid of not finding someone worthwhile. She got married 6 months after I did so she would have celebrated her 12th year anniversary last June.

raebates said:
The cake is a circle (think crown-shaped angel food cake). I'll fill the center hole with the pudding-like frosting. Make sense?
Oh, duh!!! my brain must have been dead earlier.....after I re-read I understood completely! :)

This sounds wonderful! Question about the frosting. Is it thick enough so that when someone slices a piece, exposing the frosting, the frosting won't ooze out where the slice was?

Rae....

Your cake sounds DELISH! Wish I was there to taste it for you...you know, to be sure it's okay for real people! lol

Diane, I thought of that very thing this morning. I stirred in a small package of white chocolate pudding to give it a little more body. It will still ooze but not quite as quickly.

YUMMM is all I can say!

Let us know how it turns out...I'm thinking of making this tomorrow. :)

Huge hit!There was only one piece left for The Furry Guy to finish off when we got home. Yes, the filling oozed out once the cake was cut, but it didn't detract from the look. I received lots of compliments on both the look and the taste.

Thanks Rae! My open house is today and I'd love to show what the cakes from the new pan look like. :)

1. What is the recipe for the cream cheese frosting?

The cream cheese frosting recipe is as follows:

• 1 8 oz brick of cream cheese
  • 12 oz sour cream
  • 1/2 c milk (or less, depending on desired thickness)
  • 3 c powdered sugar (or to taste)
  • 1/2 t PC vanilla

2. What pan are you using to bake the carrot cake?

I am using the new Silicone Crown Cake Pan from Pampered Chef to bake the carrot cake.

3. What other ingredients are you adding to the boxed mix carrot cake?

In addition to the boxed mix, I am adding a little orange extract to kick up the flavor.

4. How will you serve the carrot cake at the carry-in?

I will be filling the center of the carrot cake with the cream cheese frosting and using a Bamboo Spooner and Slice N Serve to allow guests to add as much frosting as they desire.

5. Will you be adding any garnish to the carrot cake?

Yes, I will be sprinkling a bit of Sweet Cinnamon Sprinkles on top of the cream cheese frosting for garnish.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sharalam
Replies