• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Strategies for Potty Training: When to Buy Underwear for Your Child

In summary, Evan still isn't too interested in the potty, but the other day when I mentioned that he would get big boy undies...he REALLY wanted them. If I get the underwear now as an incentive, he will not get to wear them till he goes in the potty, but if I wait until he goes in the potty, then take him and let him pick them out, he will see them and be more motivated.
KellyTheChef
Gold Member
Hey all!

Evan still isn't too interested in the potty, but the other day when I mentioned that he would get big boy undies...he REALLY wanted them.

Should I
(1) get the underware now as an incentive? He doesn't get to wear them till he goes in the potty

or

(2) not even buy the underware till he goes in the potty, then take him and let him pick them out.

I have step kids, but they were both potty trained by their mom....so no experience in that world!! lol

Get them so he can see them.

since it is summer time, I can share my potty training experience with you! I let me kids walk around totally naked and used the undies/panties as an incentive once they got the hang of going on the potty! It took about 2 days for my DD and about 2 weeks for my DS. We did not leave the house (except church and then they would wear a pull-up) so that anytime they had the urge, they would not have to figure out where to "go". I do have to say, I cleaned up a few messes when they couldn't make it, but overall it was the best way to get the job done! Good luck!

I don't know how old Evan is but I will share my experience.

My daughter was 2 1/2 when my first son was born. She had some interest in potty training but seeing me change Brian's diapers, she
decided she didn't want to be potty trained. So I just let it go and didn't stress about it.

Around 4 months later at her 3rd birthday, she was dry for long periods during the day so I tried potty training again and this time she was more receptive. Pull ups did not exist at that time. I took her and let her pick out her underwear and she did pretty well. She still wore diapers at night but during the day she wore her underwear.

I hope this helps.

My DS also did much better by running arroud naked.

My daughter is 2 and 1/2. she was staying dry for long periods of time but had no interest in the potty. I then heard of something that might work her. I would give her 1 m & m for peeing in the potty and 2 for pooping. She caught on really fast and after 2 weeks I didn't have to have diapers or swimiming diapers etc on her. I didn't even have to give the m & m's to long after she was trained. Only if she asked. She hasn't had an accident in over 3 weeks!

I soo wish my 3 year old had any interest in the potty! Nothing is motivating her like her older sister (we gave her stickers, had a chart and gave her prizes each time she went poopies). Not this one! DH wanted to let her run naked too but with carpet I am afraid to let her free with the fear of accidents all over since she has 0 interest right now! :(
If we had tile or hard wood flooring I wouldn't mind soo much but carpet and pee just grosses me out! :O

To each is own and I know we cannot force it or it will just come back to bite us! She'll be ready when she is ready I guess ??

My carpet cleaner has gotten a workout! We keep it ready to go at all times!

Oh Heather, don't try to push it! You will only frustrate yourself and your child!

I have tried to potty train my kids, but it wasn't effective with my son. My daughter showed interest, but we've backed off a bit because she wasn't really that motivated yet. I am waiting until after our family vacation at the end of this month to start her up again, and then will probably work on my son once my daughter's completely trained.Kelly, for your main topic, I will tell you that I bought the underwear in advance (the Easter bunny even stuck some in their Easter baskets!). The kids like them, and my daughter "gets" that they're big girl pants even though we haven't gotten completely successful yet, but my son just thinks they are fun clothes...he has no clue yet. I have been told repeatedly by others that girls tend to do better faster with potty training, and if my kids are any indication I'd say that's right on! Good luck, and may the force be with us (with lots of disinfectant!).

I can't run around nekked in my house even though it's summer- DH is an Italian horn dog...

Oh, wait- this is a potty training thread...

I potty trained a 2 year old boy in 2 days reading a book called "How to potty train your child in 2 days" Or was it 4 days? Either way, it worked!!!!

Kitchen Diva said:
I can't run around nekked in my house even though it's summer- DH is an Italian horn dog...

Oh, wait- this is a potty training thread...

I potty trained a 2 year old boy in 2 days reading a book called "How to potty train your child in 2 days" Or was it 4 days? Either way, it worked!!!!

ohhh wow, :D can you share any really major tips with this book! Inquiring minds would love to know!!!!

LOL And I agree about my DH and me running around nekked, he's no italian but horny just the same lol!

I am in pottry train H*LL right now, so I am not the person to ask. Regan was ready then she wasn't, then she was , I am giving up for now and she will tell me when she is serious about it~ ha ha :)

Good luck, it is a topic I am frustrated with right now in my home.

Good luck :)

heat123 said:
ohhh wow, :D can you share any really major tips with this book! Inquiring minds would love to know!!!!

LOL And I agree about my DH and me running around nekked, he's no italian but horny just the same lol!

Yeah, it takes the fun out of wanting to just be nekked for nekked's sake! :) LOL

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0671693808/?tag=pfamazon01-20

http://pottytrainingsite.com/pottytrain3daysorless.htm?gclid=CLyhi_mGvpQCFQVxFQodAF-VUQ

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0971639906/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Also helpful is The Potty Book for Boys or The Potty Book for Girls... But my all time favorite is Once Upon a Potty!

I can't find the book I used when I was a Nanny- so I hope one of the above links works for you.

I kept a basket in the bathroom with wrapped little inexpensive toys and when she used the potty she got to pick one out and open it. Fun for both of us and it worked really well!

jrodeo said:
I kept a basket in the bathroom with wrapped little inexpensive toys and when she used the potty she got to pick one out and open it. Fun for both of us and it worked really well!

So not to change the subject, but I see you are a future consultant- when are you going to take the plunge?

Lots of good ideas!

I don't want to force him into anything...but he turned 3 at the beginning of April...and I was hoping he would want to give this a try so he would be potty trained before the baby comes! I know that a new baby can make them "regress" so I was thinking if he did it soon, he may be past that phase by the time I deliver!

I think I will let him pick out some undies (but he doesn't get them till he goes on the potty.) Only problem is we are driving to SC on the 26th...so I can't see letting him sit in the car seat without a diaper! He would probably be all over the M&M idea too!

Such dilemmas! lol (granted, I know in the grand scheme of life this is NOT a major problem, but it's a problem nonetheless!)

Kelly I bet everything will come out alright in the end! :) Bahahahahahaaa I kill me! :)

Kitchen Diva said:
Kelly I bet everything will come out alright in the end! :) Bahahahahahaaa I kill me! :)

you are whack!

DH tells me when I say I have to go to the bathroom "I hope everything comes out OK!"

You just reminded me of him when you said that!!

. . .So not to change the subject, but I see you are a future consultant- when are you going to take the plunge?. . .

August 17th.

I've been doing a lot of reading on Chef Success and learning so-o much! You guys have really helped me out alot already. Thank You!!!

Kitchen Diva said:
[/B]
Yeah, it takes the fun out of wanting to just be nekked for nekked's sake! :) LOL

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0671693808/?tag=pfamazon01-20

http://pottytrainingsite.com/pottytrain3daysorless.htm?gclid=CLyhi_mGvpQCFQVxFQodAF-VUQ

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0971639906/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Also helpful is The Potty Book for Boys or The Potty Book for Girls... But my all time favorite is Once Upon a Potty!
I can't find the book I used when I was a Nanny- so I hope one of the above links works for you.

"is it a hat? nooooooo"......I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!
Also, "Everyone Poops" by Taro Gomi and Amanda Mayer Stinchecum

By the way, if someone could tell me how to publish someone's quote without cutting and pasting I would be VERY greatful!

Do I choose the "Quick Reply" instead of just replying to the thread?

jrodeo said:
By the way, if someone could tell me how to publish someone's quote without cutting and pasting I would be VERY greatful!

Nope, you hit the quote button at the bottom of their thread, and then type away- their quote will be at the top, and your text below...unless you hit the enter key and move it down a bit...

jrodeo said:

Just click the icon at the bottom of the thread thats says "Quote" and it will copy that persons thread.

just click the little "quote" box on the bottom of the post.
down here!

chefmeg said:
"is it a hat? nooooooo"......I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!
Also, "Everyone Poops" by Taro Gomi and Amanda Mayer Stinchecum

Good- cause I bought it for you for Christmas! :) LOL
Seriously I hate this 30 second between posts rule- I'm being punished for having faster than a speeding bullet fingers! :cry:

ooooh, look how many of us wanted to be helpful!

Kitchen Diva said:
Good- cause I bought it for you for Christmas! :) LOL
Seriously I hate this 30 second between posts rule- I'm being punished for having faster than a speeding bullet fingers! :cry:

WHOOPEEE!! you crack me up!

Kitchen Diva said:
Nope, you hit the quote button at the bottom of their thread, and then type away- their quote will be at the top, and your text below...unless you hit the enter key and move it down a bit...

I did it! Thanks!!

I just trained my DD wow is 27 months in a few days. She was really ready though. I had been preping her for about 8 months. I bought the panties and showed them to her but would not let her wear them until we were ready to say goodbye to diapers for good. I told her she could not pee or poop on the princess panties or the princesses would be sad. That really worked for us.

KellyTheChef said:
Lots of good ideas!

I don't want to force him into anything...but he turned 3 at the beginning of April...and I was hoping he would want to give this a try so he would be potty trained before the baby comes! I know that a new baby can make them "regress" so I was thinking if he did it soon, he may be past that phase by the time I deliver!

I think I will let him pick out some undies (but he doesn't get them till he goes on the potty.) Only problem is we are driving to SC on the 26th...so I can't see letting him sit in the car seat without a diaper! He would probably be all over the M&M idea too!

Such dilemmas! lol (granted, I know in the grand scheme of life this is NOT a major problem, but it's a problem nonetheless!)

Kelly,
My DD is now 11, but what I did w/ her was I let her have a few accidents and didn't change her right away. She didn't like the sticky itchy feel of things and it only took two days. She still wore pull-ups at night for a while, but she was all panties before 2. The daycare she went to was very strict that they be potty trained by 2.
My nephew was interested a few mths ago, but my sister and her Dumb hubby (he is an idiot...sorry) didn't want to be bothered b/c she was going to be having another one soon or just did, I can't remember. So they didn't do anything. He will be 3 in Sept and is showing some very definite signs that he is ready. If he poops his diaper, he goes into their bathroom and takes it off and walks around naked...I had to tell my sister that she NEEDS to potty train him b/c he is ready and no excuses. I really think she thinks it is easier to have him in diapers...um...I bet it is pretty pricey buying diapers for 2!!!
I don't have any helpful tips to give you, but I feel your pain. I wish I could get my nephew trained for them...heck I wish I could get custody of both of their kids. (the other one will be 1 on August 1st...which is MY b-day too)!!

CHRIS!!! My b'day is August 3rd!! I knew I liked you!!

I say go get them.. my son will be 4 in late August and he just got the hang of the whole potty thing in the last month. Yikes I know!! We have tried before but finally let him figure it out on his own. He will be going to preschool in August, and once DADDY told him that the teachers won't change his diaper then he decided it was time. He told Daddy one night that he was a big boy, so Daddy said, "ok since you are a big boy then you wear big boy underwear." That was it, he was in underwear from there on out. He has been in pullups a few times when he was having tummy troubles, but that's it. We went cold turkey and put him in big boy undies.. few accidents.. threw a few pair away.. yuck. and grandma sent some pair and a potty chart with stickers that got him excited.. that lasted for about a week and now he just goes on his own and refuses a pull-up. Good luck!!

My son was acually potty trained then when my hubby came home from deployment he stopped!! I was so upset!! So we are on round two! But good luck and thank you ladies for sharing this with us!

when I trained our kids years ago we would go to McDonalds have lunch then to Target where I let them pick out the ones they wanted (back them it was ninja turtles and sesame street) don't remember for my daughter even though she was the last one.We brought them home washed them put them on and never looked back (did pullups at night for awhile with 2nd son and DD they didn't make them with the oldest) but they were in them 24/7 once they actually wore the underwear they didn't want to go back to diapers or pullups.
I won't say they didn't have accidents but they didn't have many we just made a habit of going every few hours.

I finally had to just put my daughter in underwear. She was fine just wearing a diaper or pull up all day. Once I did that, it was about 3 days before she was on the potty. She was not quite 3 at that time. She is a little over 4 now & we do still have to put a pull up on at bedtime. She is still waking up wet. We tried the underwear thinking it might wake her to go potty but didn't work. Still trying that one. My son however was done in about 2 weeks at only 2 1/2 and stayed dry at night too. They are all different! Good luck!

My oldest son was taught to go outside to pee...we live in rural Oklahoma, lol. But the biggest thing was that I was pregnant with our daughter and our son would turn 3 a few weeks after she was born. I told him that I would not change 2 peoples diapers that he had to be a big boy and that is what he did. Our daughter was much easier. Our youngest son was a nightmare!! I didn't think I was ever going to get him trained...well actually my babysitter trained him. He would stay clean all day and when I picked him up the would go in his pants the rest of the night...no matter how often I took him to the bathroom. I was working a lot of hours and my husband was working away from home, so it was an attention thing.

But, I tried pull-ups and my kids just acted like they were diapers...it was okay to go to the bathroom in them. So, I used training panties and they worked much better. I used pull-ups at night and if we had to go on a long trip and we wouldn't be able to stop very much for the bathroom. But, I was not opposed to pulling over to the side of the road...although my daughter can't go outside. I think each child is different and you can't force it. You have to talk it up like they are going to be so grown up because they are using the pot...my kids would not use a pottie chair, they had a seat that sat on the big pot. My youngest finally started using the pot because he wanted to go to head start...they can go when they are three...and I told him he couldn't wear diapers because they only let you go to school if you used the big pot like a big boy.

Related to Strategies for Potty Training: When to Buy Underwear for Your Child

1. Should I get the underwear now as an incentive?

It's up to you and your child's individual needs and preferences. Some parents find that having the underwear as an incentive can motivate their child to use the potty, while others prefer to wait until their child is consistently using the potty before introducing the underwear as a reward.

2. Should he only get to wear the underwear once he goes in the potty?

This is a personal decision that depends on your parenting style and your child's behavior. Some parents choose to only allow their child to wear underwear once they are fully potty trained, while others allow their child to wear them as motivation and a sense of accomplishment during the potty training process.

3. Should I wait until he goes in the potty before buying the underwear?

Again, this depends on your preference. Some parents prefer to wait until their child is potty trained before investing in underwear, while others like to have them ready as an incentive or reward during the potty training process.

4. Should I let him pick out his own underwear?

This can be a fun and exciting way to involve your child in the potty training process and give them a sense of ownership and control. However, if your child is not yet potty trained, you may want to limit their options to only a few choices to avoid overwhelming them and making the decision process more difficult.

5. What if my child is showing no interest in the potty but is interested in the underwear?

This can be a tricky situation. It's important to not force or pressure your child to use the potty, as this can lead to resistance and longer potty training struggles. Instead, continue to offer the potty and encourage your child, but also respect their readiness and pace. You can use the underwear as a motivation and reward once your child begins using the potty more consistently.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ahammons
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
missydivine
  • princessmeshelle
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
PChefPEI
Replies