• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Stolen Signs: A Tale of Mischief on Halloween Night

heard that some people put glue on their yard signs and when someone tries to steal it, they get a shock. Another suggestion we heard was to put capsasin on your signs, which is a really nasty substance that doesn't wipe off. Another suggestion was to tie together a bunch of old cans and put noise makers in them, like cans filled with aluminum soda or beer. When someone tries to steal the sign, they get a lot of noise and it's pretty funny.
pampchefrhondab
I can't believe how bad some people are! I had some signs in my yard which were fine until tonight! I'm sure some teenagers who shouldn't have been trick or treating stole them! They were a McCain Palin sign and a 40 Days for Life sign:eek:!!!

We saw some kids walking down the street but didn't see them w/the signs. I just can't believe some people.

I really don't care about the McCain Palin sign as much as I do the 40 Days for Life!

I would never steal someone else's signs!

That is just stupidity at its best!

On the news today there was a story about signs being stolen and replaced with other ones (it was a McCain sign to be replaced with an Obama one) - the owner was tired of people taking his signs - he put up a video camera and an electric fence around the sign (just giving a person a jolt) - they got a kid on camera (around 9 yr old) trying to steal the sign and getting a shock! He had an Obama sign in his hand ready to switch it out. Sad to say - you know it was the parents putting the kid up to that!

That is the truth the kid knows nothing about why he should switch the signs just that he should do it quickly

Gina M said:
On the news today there was a story about signs being stolen and replaced with other ones (it was a McCain sign to be replaced with an Obama one) - the owner was tired of people taking his signs - he put up a video camera and an electric fence around the sign (just giving a person a jolt) - they got a kid on camera (around 9 yr old) trying to steal the sign and getting a shock! He had an Obama sign in his hand ready to switch it out. Sad to say - you know it was the parents putting the kid up to that!

What is wrong with people? Oh, wait...don't answer that... :rolleyes:

Rhonda, I'm sorry your signs were stolen! Next time spray some skunk scented stuff on them, it'll keep everyone away! :)

I'm really sad that your signs were stolen. It is really sad how some people are against free speech!

In our paper, we had a story about Obama signs being stolen from the parents of a soldier who died in Iraq. He joined the military because he wanted people to know that conservatives aren't the only people who are patriots. The parents were really upset because their son died for free speech.

Look at it this way ... the kids are too young to vote!

Here were some suggestions I heard on the radio the other day.

1) Tanglefoot - this is a bird repellent. It's actually glue that never really sets up and remains tacky. Spread this stuff on your sign, and when the goof comes along and grabs the sign, they get their fingers full of this stuff. It doesn't wipe off! They'll leave your sign alone when they feel this stuff, then the goof will try to wipe it off on his pants and get it all over his pants, then get it in his pockets when he reaches for his car keys, and will get it all over his car, his steering wheel, and all the control surfaces in his car.

http://www.tanglefoot.com/products/images/birdrepeltube.jpg

You can get it at most farm supply companies, or check their http://www.tanglefoot.com/products/birdrepel.htm.

2) A more diabolical guy suggested something similar to spread on your signs, capsasin from chili peppers. It's nasty stuff, and once it's on their fingers, as you know from cutting peppers, it doesn't wipe off on fabrics, like pants. And when the goof touches his eyes, nose or mouth, he'll really suffer. Not to mention how much more he'll suffer if he goes back into the shrubs to relieve himself. OUCH!

3) A little less diabolical but also effective, one guy tied together a bunch of old cans included aluminum soda (or beer) cans filled with some short bolts, washers and nuts. He puts the collections of noisemakers in the bushes, then ties them to the yard signs with clear, monofilliment fishing line. When the goof takes the sign, he gets about two feet before he starts making enough noise to raise the dead. The guy reports that his signs get pulled out of the ground but he usually finds them about 10 feet away because the goof can't drop 'em fast enough.

these are so awesome and something MY DH would totally do! Especially the shock trick. Yup that would be my guy!

That is HILARIOUS...I'd do that if we had a sign in our yard...
We'd like to get one, but DH does not want anyone knowing our affiliations...he's paranoid that way...

We have McCain stickers that I wanted him to put in our car and he said no way...

I cannot say I am all the surprised about signs being stolen..you don't know how bad dh and I want to pull out Obama signs...or go through the yards and run them down! LOL

You know how sometimes a news story sets off your BS detector? (Or not.) Last night, we had one of those stories on that local news, and frankly, the story doesn't pass the smell test. (Like the Obama worker in Pennsylvania who claimed she was attacked and beaten up by McCain supporters - she made the whole thing up.)Anyway, in a ritzy suburb, all the Obama bin Biden signs on one block of a street were defaced - not stolen, but defaced - with red spray paint. 10 in a row on the same block. Nowhere else. They all had 666 sprayed on the signs. This immediately aroused my BS meter. My first thought was that one of the homeowners did this, then called the television station, but I decided to hear them out and give them the benefit of the doubt.In the story, one of the homeowners was interviewed but didn't want to go on camera. We saw her silhouette on the sidewalk, talking to the microphone.She said (paraphrased) and this is what pegged my BS meter, "We've decided we're going to leave these signs the way they are so people can see what we're up against."Yup. That clinched it for me - I predict, that when the police get done investigating this, they'll find that one of the Obama bin Biden supporters did the painting and then called out the dogs.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
(Like the Obama worker in Pennsylvania who claimed she was attacked and beaten up by McCain supporters - she made the whole thing up.)
This was actually the other way around - McCain supporter claimed she was beaten up by an Obama supporter. Either way made up, and obvious because of the backward and superficial B.

I have a friend who is blue in a red state and her sign has been repeatedly stolen. She put a handwritten sign up that says:

"You steal my sign, I buy another sign.
Another sign = more money for your opponent.
Keep stealing the sign! Obama gets more money that way!"

Her sign was posted to it. It hasn't been stolen since, haha.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
You know how sometimes a news story sets off your BS detector? (Or not.) Last night, we had one of those stories on that local news, and frankly, the story doesn't pass the smell test. (Like the Obama worker in Pennsylvania who claimed she was attacked and beaten up by McCain supporters - she made the whole thing up.)...
I didn't hear about that one. The one that's been on all the news is a McCain worker who said she was beaten up by an Obama supporter. Claimed he carved a B on her cheek after seeing her McCain sticker on her car and later admitted she was lying. Is that the story you're talking about?

continuing...Anyway, in a ritzy suburb, all the Obama bin Biden signs on one block of a street were defaced - not stolen, but defaced - with red spray paint. 10 in a row on the same block. Nowhere else. They all had 666 sprayed on the signs. This immediately aroused my BS meter. My first thought was that one of the homeowners did this, then called the television station, but I decided to hear them out and give them the benefit of the doubt.

In the story, one of the homeowners was interviewed but didn't want to go on camera. We saw her silhouette on the sidewalk, talking to the microphone.

She said (paraphrased) and this is what pegged my BS meter, "We've decided we're going to leave these signs the way they are so people can see what we're up against."

Yup. That clinched it for me - I predict, that when the police get done investigating this, they'll find that one of the Obama bin Biden supporters did the painting and then called out the dogs.

And why does this sound so suspicious? I would believe this on both sides. Some people have no control. I agree it could be a set up but I think it could just as well be true.

I know it has been happening but this one just doesn't smell right. If the police do really investigate it, and if it gets reported on, I'll let you know.

our obama sign was stolen last night too. we live right next to a busy road & the busy road is divided by a planter. the planter is full of republican signs. my bf is convinced someone who put those signs there ran off with our obama sign. could be. or it could be an obama supporter wanted a sign for himself. or it could have just been some kids who were playing around. didnt really bother me too much either way i guess. im just glad there are only 3 and a half more days until all the signs go away!

I don't understand the fascination with stealing or vandalizing yard signs. They are nothing and have no value to a campaign, other than allowing someone to show their support of a candidate. A yard sign has never, and never will, help anyone make up their mind on which way to vote - and if a yard sign does influence someone's vote, I'd just as soon that they didn't vote at all.

WOW - I love the goof repellent KG!!! Too funny!!!

Ok - just a tad off topic, but when I was younger, we had nothing to do adh I guess the rebel in us came out when we walked around the neighborhood on a Friday night. My group used to take the real estate signs (You know for sale) and Switch them on houses - so if House A was represented by Company A - we would put House A's sign on House B etc - We of course thought it was hysterical!! (ok - we were 15 - 16, but we weren't doing anything Too bad!!)

I know - what a rebel I was................LOL!! (and really glad it wasn't KG's neighborhood!! LOL)

Sorry about your signs though, crazy stuff like that happens on Halloween!

Report the theft. The police do take it seriously. Our sheriffs here in town even gave us a "stake out" house to try to catch the vandals who have been tagging our large McCain sign in town. (Husband is county chair for McCain). Didn't catch them. The sheriff's said they would take them in if caught. The sad thing is, we think it has been adults, not kids. There have been phrases written on them in full sentences. No matter who they are voting for, they are taking away someone else's freedom of speech.

KG your ideas are GREAT!! Thank you!!

I did get my signs back!! My Son's friend was riding his bike around that night and saw the people who were stealing them (I wasn't the only one) and found them thrown out down the street.

The police did turn their lights on and talked to some kids. I'm hoping it scared them away! We had them back up last night and they weren't stolen.

I really didn't care about the McCain sign, gut the 40 Days for Life really upset me.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Here were some suggestions I heard on the radio the other day.

1) Tanglefoot - this is a bird repellent. It's actually glue that never really sets up and remains tacky. Spread this stuff on your sign, and when the goof comes along and grabs the sign, they get their fingers full of this stuff. It doesn't wipe off! They'll leave your sign alone when they feel this stuff, then the goof will try to wipe it off on his pants and get it all over his pants, then get it in his pockets when he reaches for his car keys, and will get it all over his car, his steering wheel, and all the control surfaces in his car.

http://www.tanglefoot.com/products/images/birdrepeltube.jpg

You can get it at most farm supply companies, or check their http://www.tanglefoot.com/products/birdrepel.htm.

2) A more diabolical guy suggested something similar to spread on your signs, capsasin from chili peppers. It's nasty stuff, and once it's on their fingers, as you know from cutting peppers, it doesn't wipe off on fabrics, like pants. And when the goof touches his eyes, nose or mouth, he'll really suffer. Not to mention how much more he'll suffer if he goes back into the shrubs to relieve himself. OUCH!

3) A little less diabolical but also effective, one guy tied together a bunch of old cans included aluminum soda (or beer) cans filled with some short bolts, washers and nuts. He puts the collections of noisemakers in the bushes, then ties them to the yard signs with clear, monofilliment fishing line. When the goof takes the sign, he gets about two feet before he starts making enough noise to raise the dead. The guy reports that his signs get pulled out of the ground but he usually finds them about 10 feet away because the goof can't drop 'em fast enough.

I had forgotten about the bird repellent! My hubby has used that stuff in the past!! Years ago he was in charge of maintenance at an apartment complex. He had some hoodlums who were sneaking in & out of their apartments & going places & vandalizing stuff. He spread that stuff all over the places that they were using to climb back into their apartment!

Related to Stolen Signs: A Tale of Mischief on Halloween Night

1. What is "Stolen Signs: A Tale of Mischief on Halloween Night"?

"Stolen Signs: A Tale of Mischief on Halloween Night" is a fun and interactive children's book that follows a mischievous group of friends as they play pranks on their neighbors by stealing their Halloween decorations.

2. Is this book appropriate for all ages?

Yes, "Stolen Signs: A Tale of Mischief on Halloween Night" is suitable for children of all ages. It is a lighthearted and humorous story that can be enjoyed by both children and adults.

3. What sets this book apart from other Halloween-themed books?

This book incorporates interactive elements, such as lift-the-flap pages and hidden surprises, that make it stand out from other traditional Halloween books. It also teaches valuable lessons about friendship and consequences.

4. Can I purchase this book through Pampered Chef?

Yes, "Stolen Signs: A Tale of Mischief on Halloween Night" is available for purchase through Pampered Chef. You can order it online or through one of our consultants.

5. Is there a sequel to this book?

Currently, there is no sequel to "Stolen Signs: A Tale of Mischief on Halloween Night." However, we are always on the lookout for new and exciting books to add to our collection, so stay tuned for any updates or new releases.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
Replies
Views
Melissa78
  • wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
wadesgirl