• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Urgent Cautionary Tale: Exploding Glow Necklace Incident While Trick-or-Treating

In summary, a family had a fun time going trick-or-treating with their kids, who were given glow-in-the-dark bracelets and necklaces by their SIL. However, on the way home, one of the necklaces exploded and the liquid got in the oldest daughter's eyes, causing irritation. Although the packaging stated that it may cause mild irritation, the family was still scared and worried. They warn others to be careful with these types of products and mention that Costco has a safer option. Others share their own experiences with these products.
buckeyefan08
We took the kids trick-or-treating last night and had a great time. My SIL gave them all those braclets and necklaces that you "crack" to activate and then they glow for a while. All was fine and they did work well to keep track of our kids when it started to get dark. As we were driving home my oldest daughter Payton let out a horrible scream. As soon as she did this Haley started crying and so did Christopher. I climbed into the very back of the van, where the girls sit, and realized that Payton's necklace had exploded! The glowing liquid was EVERYWHERE!!!! The worst part was it was all over her face and in her eyes. She was screaming that her eyes where burning. DH pulled the car over for a second but then he decided to just drive and get her home. Everywhere that the liquid hit Payton's skin was red and irritated like a chemical burn. We got her home and the stuff wouldn't come off because it was a gel. I finally took a towel and just soaked her face with water and it started to come off. (Which was good b/c DH was getting ready to call an ambulance so we could get an eye rinse and stop the burning on her skin) We called my father in law to get the package out of the garbage and read it to see if we should take her to the ER as a precaution and it said "mild irritation possible, rinse with water" !!!!:eek: If thats mild I'd hate to see the definition of a bad reaction! Her face and eyes are fine today, the redness and swelling are gone.
We have always had these on special occasions and this has never happened. Payton did say she was bending it. I'm not saying these are terrible things to have. I just felt the need to share this with all the parents I know as a precaution. It was a horrible experience and we were amazed that this happened. We are really lucky that it didn't get on the other kids. It is all over the back of my van, from ceiling to floor, side to side! I can't believe how it "sprayed"!

Just a warning!

What a scare! Hopefully it didn't really get into her eyes. If it did, I'd be very tempted to take her to the ER or an eye doctor, or at least call one. Here you thought you were having an end to a fun day....

I'm soooo glad I didn't buy those after all.

That is scary---glad all are ok.

FYI Costco had a 4 pack of those but they are BATTERY operated. They were $14.99 and had different colors.

Wow! Thanks for the warning! My kids got several of these. I'll be more careful now or not get them at all!

We've had them break before it did sting but no other bad side effects

thanks for sharing! - BOTH my kids got one from Music Class on Wednesday. I had to stop Cooper from putting it in his mouth :(

1. Are the glow necklaces safe for children?

Yes, our glow necklaces are safe for children to use. They are made with non-toxic materials and have been tested to meet all safety standards.

2. How long do the glow necklaces last?

The glow necklaces can last up to 8-12 hours, depending on the quality of the product and how they are used. It is important to follow the instructions for use and storage to ensure maximum glow time.

3. Are the glow necklaces reusable?

Unfortunately, our glow necklaces are not reusable. Once they have been activated, they will not glow again.

4. Can I wear the glow necklaces in water?

No, our glow necklaces are not waterproof. They should not be worn while swimming or in the shower. Exposure to water can cause the necklace to stop glowing.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using glow necklaces?

Yes, it is important to always supervise children when they are using glow necklaces. It is also recommended to avoid direct contact with skin, as some people may have a sensitivity to the materials used in the necklace. If any skin irritation occurs, discontinue use immediately.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • chefmeg
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
KellyTheChef
  • chefcharity