• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Steam Mop Shopping: What's Your Opinion?

lol)Do you think it might be the stain of the wood coming off when you mop?Some people say that the wood can get wet and damaged if you use a steam mop on hardwood floors, but my best friend who refinishes & installs hardwood floors she has told me NOT to use it on the hardwood. She recommends Bona floor cleaner.
nikked
Gold Member
We're shopping for a steam mop, and were wondering what y'all think about them, if you have one. What do you like and don't like, what brands, etc.

Thanks!

I've had the new shark deluxe (with the 2-sided mop head) since November. I love it! It cleans wonderfully.

i have the original shark love it!!
just wish I could get the "pine sol" clean smell after mopping :)

I also have the original shark steam mop and love it :)

Thanks for this thread. I have often thought about one of these. We may have to try one out.

How long is the cord on the Shark? I've heard that a lot of the steam mops have super short cords...

I have the Shark deluxe double sided mop. Absolutely LOVE it. It is great on laminate floors and vinyl. You actually feel like your floors are clean after you have used it!!

Nicole: I can't believe you posted this!! I was looking at one just this morning. :) lol I was recently told the Bissel is really good too.

I have the Bissel Steam Mop and its good, but I have tile. I think it darkens my grout alot, and isn't very good at getting along floor boards or in corners.

pkd09 said:
Nicole: I can't believe you posted this!! I was looking at one just this morning. :) lol I was recently told the Bissel is really good too.
Yeah, well, great minds and all the jazz!!!:D

ChefParty4U said:
I have the Bissel Steam Mop and its good, but I have tile. I think it darkens my grout alot, and isn't very good at getting along floor boards or in corners.

I'm looking at the Bissell a lot. We have tile as well, but the grout is already dark (I think the planned it that way? miliyary housing...YIKES!)

The one thing I keep hearing about all of them, is that on tile it get REALLY wet. Also, don't like what you're saying about floorboards and corners...those are my WORST areas! hmmmm

Guess that's why I posted the question before I bit the bullet and bought one! Thanks, all...keep it coming. I'm obviously not the only one looking!

tile gets super slick no matter how you mop.... even with its faults, i mop more now than i used to, so thats a big plus, even if my corners suck

Are these safe on old hard wood floors. We bouhght an old house and all the floors need to be refinished. We haven't had the time or money to do that yet (so many more pressing projects around here). No matter how often I mop, the water is always dirty (even if I mop the same area 3 times in a row).
Does this thing really get them clean? Does it get out that deep down dirt in the cracks. We live on a dirt road, so I kinda just thought this is how I would have to live the rest of my life.

Though they say it is fine to use these on hardwood floors, my best friend who refinishes & installs hardwood floors she has told me NOT to use it on the hardwood. It can damage the wood. She recommends Bona floor cleaner.

On the other hand, my neighbor who cleans houses for a living swears by the shark deluxe. She uses an attachment or handled shark (not sure which) to clean the grout.

lesliec said:
Are these safe on old hard wood floors. We bouhght an old house and all the floors need to be refinished. We haven't had the time or money to do that yet (so many more pressing projects around here). No matter how often I mop, the water is always dirty (even if I mop the same area 3 times in a row).
Does this thing really get them clean? Does it get out that deep down dirt in the cracks. We live on a dirt road, so I kinda just thought this is how I would have to live the rest of my life.
Do you think it might be the stain of the wood coming off when you mop? I think with hardwood floors you shouldn't really use a lot of water. You don't want the wood to get soaked because it can warp. For hardwood floors, I use a vacuum or swiffer first, then use one of those long handled thingees that have the cloth over the head. There's several brands of hardwood floor cleaners that you can use. Some are a spray and some you squirt directly on the floor and then wipe with that cloth headed mop/broom thing. (Don't you just love my technical terms?! :rolleyes: :blushing:

I had the original Shark and loved it except the handle was very weak and ended up snapping in two and I could not glue it back solidly no matter what I did. I LOVED LOVED LOVED how well it cleaned and when I get extra funds I will be getting another one of some sort but don't know that I trust the Shark based on my last one... The newer models may have that issue addressed now.

AHH TOO FUNNY! We just bought the deluxe Shark with all those pads and it has a long cord!!! And so far so good! It cleaned very well. I noted too though that it does say to be careful of wood floors. A friend of mine who also does flooring says it can raise the grain if the finish is not hard enough or is cracked or even flaking. He said you can not always see it so... Also, it can remove the finish if it is old. So be advised. I will not be using it on our hard wood floors just in case. I sort of let my kitchen go for a couple of weeks, well you would never have know it and it took all of 10 minutes to do it! It even loosened some sort of gunk by the dishwasher! LOVE IT!

I love my Shark Deluxe! I also love that I can use both sides of the pads to clean then just throw them in the washer to clean them after I am done. It doesn't seem to leave much water behind and the floor dries quickly. After I bought mine I saw some reviews for the Oreck and wondered about it. The Oreck will supposedly also allow you to do upholstery and curtains along with floors.

Well, we ended up with the Euro Shark Steam mop. It's the one with two different mop heads (one is triangle, one is rectangle), two head covers for each, a purple "fingered" cover (I think for hard wood floors?), and a carpet adapter. Long cord.

Just used it for the first time, and LOVED it. The floors dried instantly. My kitchen floor was admittedly FILTHY, and it cleaned it lickedly split, no time flat. Don't know how it compares to a traditional Shark, but for my mind, it was worth a little bit extra...I'm a bells and whistles kind of gal! Also loved the adjustable handle. I'm a tall gal, and handles are rarely long enough for me, but this one was GREAT!

Off to do the bathrooms...Happy shopping...happy cleaning!

Wow... I want one of these now!!

For the posts regarding hardwood floors - I have original hardwood floors from 1929 that have all been refinished. They say that you can use steam mops on hardwoods that have been sealed (which mine were) however...to me, for what the floor costs, steam is nothing more than vaporized water. Water plus hardwood floors and moisture = not a nice combination in my mind. I too simply vacuum (I splurged and have a Dyson which I can shut off the beater bar and it does wonderful) and then swiffer. I don't mop a lot but when I do I use either swiffer for hardwood floors (quick cleanups) or for that good clean and smell I use Murphy's Oil Soap.

I really wanted a steam mop b/c of the sanitizing it does. My best friend has a Hann (QVC) and loves it! She has laminate wood flooring and tile. If I only had to replace laminate should it ruin it I would be ok but not true hardwoods. Treat them like gold!

I have a question, this is sort of the same topic that I felt silly starting another thread...:blushing:Is there a good steam cleaner that would be great for carpets and upholstery (microsuede couches)?

Just the other day QVC had the Hann dual steamer on as the Today's Special Value and that was both a sweeper and steamer and was recommended for carpets and even things like mattresses. It was guaranteed to sanitize and kill all dust mites.

It was where I got my education on steam mops. Yes I am a QVC junkie and need a 12-step program for my addiction. :D

Ah thanks. :) Can't believe I didn't check before posting! :blushing:

I have a SteamTek. I LOVE IT!!!!!
With a 17 month old I could not live with out it... LOL

I have been looking for a good steam mop. I ended up getting a Smart Living Steam Mop. I love it. Most of the time I am the only one in the house when I mop ..Thank Goodness, would not want anyone to see the bottom of the pad when I am done....Cleans GREAT... Yes I also feel that my floors are truly clean with this steam mop. But I do miss the smell of a clean house. My mind is telling me if I do not smell the cleanner than it is not clean....Old School...

Related to Steam Mop Shopping: What's Your Opinion?

What is the best steam mop for hardwood floors?

The best steam mop for hardwood floors is the Pampered Chef Quick Cooker. It has a gentle setting specifically designed for hardwood floors, and the microfiber mop pads are safe for use on wood surfaces.

Can I use tap water in a steam mop?

Yes, you can use tap water in a steam mop. However, for optimal performance and to prevent mineral buildup, we recommend using distilled or filtered water.

How long does it take for a steam mop to heat up?

The heating time for a steam mop can vary depending on the brand and model. The Pampered Chef Quick Cooker heats up in just 30 seconds, making it a quick and efficient option for steam mopping.

Are steam mops safe for all types of flooring?

While steam mops are generally safe for most types of flooring, it is always best to check with the manufacturer of your specific flooring before use. Some types of flooring, such as laminate or unsealed hardwood, may be more sensitive to heat and moisture and may not be suitable for steam mopping.

Do I need to use cleaning solutions with a steam mop?

No, you do not need to use cleaning solutions with a steam mop. The high temperature and steam are enough to effectively clean and sanitize your floors without the use of additional products. However, if desired, you can use a small amount of mild cleaner in the water tank for extra cleaning power.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• RaggedyAunt
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Kodeysmom
  • crissy11
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
dianevill
Replies