• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Starting Over: My Lesson Learned from Letting My Virus Protection Expire

In summary, the speaker shares their experience of getting a virus on their computer due to not renewing their virus protection. They lost all of their email addresses, bookmarks, and other important documents. The speaker emphasizes the importance of keeping virus protection up to date and suggests using the free AVG program. Other participants in the conversation also recommend using AVG or other free antivirus software. Some also mention the benefits of using a backup service or having a virus-free Mac computer.
itsjustCarla
I didn't have the $$ to renew my virus protection, and guess what? Of course, I got a virus...and bad. I think my daughter got it from myspace (a good friend got the exact same virus from myspace). Anyway.....my computer had to be taken back down to the bare bones :cry:

I managed to save all of my pictures, recipes, Pampered Partner and all my PC stuff........totally forgot about email. I have no email addresses....all of my PC correspondence with my director......everything I lost all of my bookmarks :cry::cry::cry:

Lesson learned.....no more letting the virus protection lapse.

Ouch! Sorry you had to learn the lesson this painfully.

Why don't you use the free one from AVG - it's very reliable.

pamperedlinda said:

This is what I have and I've never had a problem - knock on wood :)

I love it! Mostly because it's free!

I use AVG also, my only problem with it is I forget to run the updates quite often. But obviously thats operator error and not the programs fault! lol

Andrea - you can set it to run automatically

I've never heard of this. Thanks guys!I have McAfee free through my cable internet company.

I was going to suggest AVG as well. It's a really great antivirus. Be careful when you download it because they try to redirect you to the one you have to pay for but if you just make sure to choose the free one, you can download it and it works great.

I get free McAfee from Comcast.

I've always loved the free AVG. :) About 2 weeks ago decided to try the AVG2009....don't do it!!! Well, unless it was a coincidence....but that is the only thing different that was done. Ever so slowly weird things happened......until the 'blue screen of death' appeared. :cry:
I've always backed up PP, but was not quick enough for everything else....:eek:
One of the tech guys @ school told me he has saved my word files (recipes....letters...etc.) and some other things...but he is cleaning my laptop and I get to start over, too. I'll find out Friday just how much he was able to save.
Our school nurse has a motto "Wash you hands...wash your hands...wash your hands" I think the tech guy wants my motto to be "Back up files...back up files...back up files"

I use a service called Carbonite. It automatically backs up everything to a remote source. I never have to remember to back up anything. If my computer gets stolen or damaged due to water or fire or something like that, I can download everything to a new computer! Nothing lost!!! They have a 2 week free trial. After that it is only $49.00 per year. They give free months for referrals so if you decide to check it out, I would appreciate you using my name!

I have AVAST - it's also free & automatically downloads the virus database - you just ahve to click on the balloon when there's a program update (it will tell you) - even speaks. I have my computer crash a couple of years ago, & the tech who fixed it (I used to have McAfee and got a virus anyway) installed this. I have not had a problem since - so when I got my new computer, I installed it right away. avast! - Download antivirus software for spyware and virus protection (I believe). Wish PC had gotten Dell perks sooner - that's what I bought. LOL. Good luck.

I'm sorry that all of you have to deal with that. :( Reading all of this makes me so thankful for my Mac (naturally virus free!).

I second that Linda. I have been using AVG for years and never ever have any problems. We download music, videos etc. Along with AVG I use Spybot

candiejayne said:
I use AVG also, my only problem with it is I forget to run the updates quite often. But obviously thats operator error and not the programs fault! lol
My AVG updates automatically. I believe it is a setting you can choose.

lauriesdoor said:
I have AVAST - it's also free & automatically downloads the virus database - you just ahve to click on the balloon when there's a program update (it will tell you) - even speaks. I have my computer crash a couple of years ago, & the tech who fixed it (I used to have McAfee and got a virus anyway) installed this. I have not had a problem since - so when I got my new computer, I installed it right away. avast! - Download antivirus software for spyware and virus protection (I believe). Wish PC had gotten Dell perks sooner - that's what I bought. LOL. Good luck.

I've heard good things about AVAST too. I've always had McAfee. Unfortunately, I had McAfee on my computer and got the virus anyway - I just didn't know it. McAfee even did a scan when the virus downloaded and didn't catch it. No more for me.

Sorry to hear that. I second the Mac. Ten years and no viruses yet.

byrd1956 said:
I've always loved the free AVG. :) About 2 weeks ago decided to try the AVG2009....don't do it!!! Well, unless it was a coincidence....but that is the only thing different that was done. Ever so slowly weird things happened......until the 'blue screen of death' appeared. :cry:
One of the tech guys @ school told me he has saved my word files (recipes....letters...etc.) and some other things...but he is cleaning my laptop and I get to start over, too. I'll find out Friday just how much he was able to save.
Our school nurse has a motto "Wash you hands...wash your hands...wash your hands" I think the tech guy wants my motto to be "Back up files...back up files...back up files"

eeek!! Has anyone else had problems with this? I was thinking about changing because something funny is going on with my McAfee.

byrd1956 said:

This is how mine started....the virus was just sitting there, waiting. Then, I installed my McAfee and BOOM! When I installed McAfee - instantly another screen popped up - something about Virus protection and I clicked on it thinking it was McAfee starting up....WRONG! The virus had planted a "trigger" and installing McAfee pulled that trigger and sent the virus loose. I didn't catch it until it was too late. It also disables your "system restore". I was able to save almost everything on CD except I didn't think to save emails, email addy's (all my pc correspondence); Luckily, my IT guy saved the damaged hard drive (caused by constant running from the virus) so I HAVE all my info, it's just hard to utilize it now.

pamperedlinda said:
This is what my husband puts on all his clients computers. (He does this for a living). It automatically updates and we've never had any viruses on our personal computers. Just go to AVG freesource.

What are some tips for starting over with Pampered Chef?

1. Take inventory of your current kitchen tools and determine what you need to replace or add to your collection.

2. Attend a Pampered Chef party or virtual event to see the products in action and get ideas for new recipes to try.

3. Reach out to your Pampered Chef consultant for personalized recommendations and assistance with building your new collection.

4. Utilize the "Shop By Recipe" feature on the Pampered Chef website to find products specifically for the types of meals you want to make.

5. Take advantage of any current promotions or discounts to save money on your new Pampered Chef products.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • etteluap70PC
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • Humble Beginnings
  • General Chat
Replies