• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Southern-Style Baked Mac & Cheese Recipe for Thanksgiving | Delicious & Creamy

In summary, the author is looking for a good Southern-style baked mac and cheese recipe, and provides a recipe from a Taste of Home Cooking School a few years ago. They add some seasoned bread crumbs to the top before baking, and the recipe from the back of the Nestlé Carnation Evaporated Milk box is a good one to try. Paula Deen's is terrible, and Egg in Mac and Cheese is also a bad idea. The author has tried Ronzoni's and always gets good reviews, and also recommends Jamie Oliver's recipe.
ms_twana
Okay. Thanksgiving is in a few days and I'm looking for a good Southern-style Baked Mac & Cheese recipe. Anyone have one? I've found a couple online but I don't really care for them.

This is a recipe from a Taste of Home Cooking School a few years ago that I just love. (Usually make it in the DCB). I add some seasoned bread crumbs to the top before baking. Traditional Mac 'n Cheese
Ingredients
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 can (12 ounces) Nestlé® Carnation® Evaporated Milk
1 cup water
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups (8 ounces each) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
1-2/3 cups (about 7 ounces) dry small elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
Directions
Combine cornstarch, salt, mustard and pepper in a medium saucepan.
Stir in evaporated milk, water and butter. Cook over medium-high
heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Boil for 11
minutes. Remove from heat.
Stir in 1-1/2 cups cheese until melted. Add macaroni; mix well. Pour
into a greased 2-qt. casserole. Top with remaining cheese. Bake at
375° for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted and light
brown. Yield: 6 servings.

Last edited:
straitfan said:
This is a recipe from a Taste of Home Cooking School a few years ago that I just love. (Usually make it in the DCB). I add some seasoned bread crumbs to the top before baking.

Traditional Mac 'n Cheese
Ingredients
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup water
2 tablespoons butter
Directions
heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Boil for 1

MMM thanks for this. I am going to try it!

I'm not sure what you mean by southern style, but Alton Brown's is a good one.

I made Guy Feiri one's for a potluck and it was awesome and easy it.s Food TV Big Daddy mac and Cheese!

Paula Deen's is terrible. I hate egg in mac and cheese!I use the recipe on the back of the box of Ronzoni! I love it, and everyone asks me to bring it.

straitfan said:
This is a recipe from a Taste of Home Cooking School a few years ago that I just love. (Usually make it in the DCB). I add some seasoned bread crumbs to the top before baking.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup water
2 tablespoons butter
Directions

Thanks.

ShellBeach said:
I'm not sure what you mean by southern style, but Alton Brown's is a good one.

I'm not exactly sure what I mean. LOL. I just know that Southern cooking is a little different than other regions.

I've done Patti Labelle's "Over the Rainbow" Macaroni & Cheese and have always received rave reviews on it.

http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/rainbowmacandcheese.shtml

I don't really use a recipe - just wing it and it always turns out great but a little different each time. To me it's just macaroni, cheese, evaporated milk, butter, salt and pepper. Maybe some sort of bread crumbs on top to brown. Lots of cheese, lots and lots of cheese.

Mom's non-recipe is very similar to this (except real milk, not evaporated) and it comes out really greasy. Wonder what we're doing wrong.

Jillmami said:
I've done Patti Labelle's "Over the Rainbow" Macaroni & Cheese and have always received rave reviews on it.

http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/rainbowmacandcheese.shtml
This is, by far, the very best mac-n-cheese that I've ever had. Everytime that I make it, I get rave compliments on it. And I ALWAYS say that it is *MY* recipe, never giving Patti the credit she deserves. :lol:

I have all of the ingredients so that is probably what I'll be making for dinner tonight. Oh, darn the luck.

Now I am craving mac n cheese, too!

We are trying this one for Thanksgiving this year; it will use up the last of my fresh tomatoes. It's from Jamie Oliver's new cookbook about American food:
KILLER MAC ‘N’ CHEEESE
Serves 8-10
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3 heaping tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 10 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 6 fresh bay leaves
  • 1 quart reduced-fat (2 percent) milk
  • 4 cups elbow macaroni
  • 8 tomatoes
  • 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • A few springs of fresh thyme, leaves picked
  • Optional: a couple of splashes of Worcestershire sauce, such as Lea & Perrins
  • Optional: a grating of nutmeg
  • 3 big handfuls of fresh bread crumbs
  • Olive oil
Get a large saucepan of salted water on to boil. Melt the butter in a large ovenproof saucepan, or Dutch oven, over a low heat, then add the flour and turn the heat up to medium, stirring all the time, until you get a paste — this is your roux. Add all the sliced garlic — don't worry about the amount, because each slice will caramelize like toffee in the roux. Keep cooking and stirring until golden and the garlic is nice and sticky. Add the bay leaves and slowly whisk in the milk a little at a time to ensure you get a nice smooth sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil, then leave on a low heat to simmer and tick away, stirring occasionally. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
Add the pasta to the pan of boiling salted water and cook following the package instructions. Meanwhile, roughly chop the tomatoes on a board and season them well with salt and pepper. Drain the pasta and add it immediately to the sauce. Give it a good stir and take the pan off the heat. Stir in your grated cheese, chopped tomatoes, and some of the thyme leaves. A little Worcestershire sauce added now is nice, so is a little grating or two of nutmeg. Now work on the flavor — taste it and season it until it's hitting the right spot. You want it to be slightly too wet because it will thicken up again in the oven, so add a splash of water if needed.
If you've made your sauce in a Dutch oven, leave everything in there; if not, transfer it to a deep earthenware dish. Bake it for 30 minutes in the oven, until golden, bubbling, crispy, and delicious.
While it's cooking, put your bread crumbs and remaining thyme into a frying pan with a few drizzles of olive oil over a medium heat. Stir and toss the crumbs around until crunchy and golden all over. Remove from the heat and tip into a nice bowl. Serve your macaroni and cheese in the center of the table, with your bowl of crispy bread crumbs for sprinkling over.

straitfan said:

Ingredients
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup water
2 tablespoons butter
Directions

So, do you just use the DCB for the baking part? Was also wondering if anyone's done this in the microwave either...inquiring minds want to know - haha!

1. How do I make my mac and cheese creamy without using processed cheese?

To make creamy mac and cheese without processed cheese, you can use a combination of shredded cheddar cheese, cream cheese, and milk. The cream cheese helps thicken the sauce, while the shredded cheddar adds flavor. Slowly add in the milk until you reach your desired consistency.

2. Can I make baked mac and cheese ahead of time?

Yes, you can make baked mac and cheese ahead of time. Prepare the dish as directed, but do not bake it. Cover and refrigerate until ready to bake. When ready to serve, let it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before baking as directed.

3. Can I use a different type of pasta for baked mac and cheese?

Yes, you can use a different type of pasta for baked mac and cheese. Elbow macaroni is the most commonly used, but you can also use shells, penne, or any other small pasta shape. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.

4. How do I prevent my baked mac and cheese from getting dry?

To prevent your baked mac and cheese from getting dry, make sure to not overcook the pasta and to use enough sauce. You can also cover the dish with foil while baking to trap in moisture. Another tip is to add a little extra milk or cream to the sauce before baking.

5. Can I add vegetables to my baked mac and cheese?

Yes, you can add vegetables to your baked mac and cheese. Some popular choices include broccoli, peas, and diced tomatoes. Just make sure to cook the vegetables beforehand and mix them in with the pasta and sauce before baking. This adds extra flavor and nutrition to the dish.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • JaimeQ
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
pc ri lisa
  • higoobs
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies