• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Sourcing Jalapeno Peppers for Salsa: Is it Safe?

In summary, a grocery store in the area where the salmonella was found has pulled jalapeno peppers from shelves because they are thought to be the source of the outbreak. However, people can still use them in recipes if they substitute another pepper that is hotter.
kam
Staff member
I have a show on Wednesday. I am making the Beef Enchilada Casserole and I would love to bring ingredients to make the Salsa using the Salad choppers. My only problem is that it calls for a jalapeno pepper.

I am pretty sure these were determined to be the source of the salmonella outbreak recently (my grocery store has pulled them). But, I thought I had just read that they determined that only jalapeno peppers from a certain area were the culprits....

Does anyone have more details? I went to the store tonight. Produce guy knew nothing. Produce manager is not in. I spoke to a store manager and he had no idea about the peppers or that they were even pulled in the first place. (He looked at me like I was from Mars.) No one can answer when they will re-stock.:(

So, really I am trying to find out more info (was I imagining that some were cleared?).

Also, in case I can't get a jalapeno pepper - is there another variety that will work in the Salsa??

THANKS!

This weekend, I avoided buying jalepeno and serrano as per a note by the section where these two were sold, I don't even think they were out. IN anycase, I ended up subbing the jalepeno for an Anaheim which is bigger and not spicey. AT least the one I got was not hot!

You can use any kind of pepper, just be aware of where it lies on the scoville scale.Or just dump in some hot sauce.

Or use canned peppers.

Canned jalapenos will not be contaminated as the cooking during the canning process kills the bacteria. Try the FDA website to see if there's a list. But unless your grocery store is really good about identifying where their produce comes from, I'd use canned.

I know nothing about hot peppers! I did not even know they had canned jalepenos! Would I just stick one in the Salsa recipe? (This is the recipe that was in the catty a few season's ago that uses the Salad Chopper). I was planning on doing the pass-around thing with the Salad Choppers.

I also do not know how to determine scoville scale(???) :)

Typically, the smaller the pepper, the hotter it is. And the redder it is, the hotter it is. Scotch Bonnets (Habañeros) are ridiculously hot - don't substitute them for the jalapeños. Poblanos are fairly mild, but would at least let you put the pepper into the bowl and use the choppers on them. Scoville units are used to measure the heat of peppers. Bell Peppers have a Scoville rating of 0 or 1. Really hot peppers have ratings of 30,000 or more. Epicurious.com or other cooking sites should have charts of common peppers.

chefann said:
Typically, the smaller the pepper, the hotter it is. And the redder it is, the hotter it is. Scotch Bonnets (Habañeros) are ridiculously hot - don't substitute them for the jalapeños. Poblanos are fairly mild, but would at least let you put the pepper into the bowl and use the choppers on them.

Scoville units are used to measure the heat of peppers. Bell Peppers have a Scoville rating of 0 or 1. Really hot peppers have ratings of 30,000 or more. Epicurious.com or other cooking sites should have charts of common peppers.

Great information! I think the store did have Poblanos. What would you do Ann? Use the Poblanos (maybe use 2 since they are not as hot??). Or use one Poblano and one jalepeno from a can??

I have never done this Salsa demo before!

I'd use a poblano and let people know that it's usually spicier. Or add a drop or 2 of hot sauce.The problem with using the canned peppers (that I didn't think of before) is that they're mushy from the canning process. Fresh ones will be better.

chefann said:
I'd use a poblano and let people know that it's usually spicier. Or add a drop or 2 of hot sauce.

The problem with using the canned peppers (that I didn't think of before) is that they're mushy from the canning process. Fresh ones will be better.

This is a lot of help! I feel so much better now. I really did not think the Beef Enchilada Casserole was going to be much of a demo so I was at a loss of what to "add".

Sorry for sounding idiotic (but I really don't care for things that are too spicy - which is why I was clueless about the peppers!), but when you say hot suace, do you mean Tabasco?

If you can find a banana pepper that would work too. It may or may not be hotter than a jalapeno because it varies.

A poblano pepper would be very good in this recipe too.

A slight bit off-topic, but does anyone have a hierarchy of peppers? Which one is the spiciest and down the line?

Kathleen, alot of people don't like spicy food, and those who say they do may differ greatly in their definition of 'hot.' (For example, my family and will go to a Thai restaurant and have to insist when we say we want 'Thai spicy,' we mean it!! They are usually suprised we actually like our food that hot - most people say they want Thai spicy, but really mean they want American spicy, or mild).

You're better off going with a mild pepper (of course, I don't consider jalapenos to be particularly spicy - my husband grows them, and he and the kids eat them like apples), and bringing the Tabasco for people who want to add to their portion to make it spicier.

Just a thought.

Sarah

Thanks! Can't wait to try this now!

kam said:
I have a show on Wednesday. I am making the Beef Enchilada Casserole and I would love to bring ingredients to make the Salsa using the Salad choppers. My only problem is that it calls for a jalapeno pepper.

I am pretty sure these were determined to be the source of the salmonella outbreak recently (my grocery store has pulled them). But, I thought I had just read that they determined that only jalapeno peppers from a certain area were the culprits....

Does anyone have more details? I went to the store tonight. Produce guy knew nothing. Produce manager is not in. I spoke to a store manager and he had no idea about the peppers or that they were even pulled in the first place. (He looked at me like I was from Mars.) No one can answer when they will re-stock.:(

So, really I am trying to find out more info (was I imagining that some were cleared?).

Also, in case I can't get a jalapeno pepper - is there another variety that will work in the Salsa??

THANKS!

I use a fresh chili pepper when I do the salsa - they are milder than the jalapenos and a little bigger...so you still get that nice, authentic flavor, but without as much heat.

ChefBeckyD said:
I use a fresh chili pepper when I do the salsa - they are milder than the jalapenos and a little bigger...so you still get that nice, authentic flavor, but without as much heat.

Once again, I am going to sound idiotic - but I really don't know my peppers. But when I go to the produce department, is it called a "Chili Pepper" on the sign? Thanks!

kam said:
Once again, I am going to sound idiotic - but I really don't know my peppers. But when I go to the produce department, is it called a "Chili Pepper" on the sign? Thanks!

It is here in West Michigan!:D

ChefBeckyD said:
It is here in West Michigan!:D

Just wanted to make sure what I was asking for!! lol :)

The peppers in question were from Mexico.

Here in Michigan I am seeing locally grown ones at the farmer's markets and stands. Those would be fine and you would be supporting the local farmers.

I've used pablano for the salsa. I don't like spicy at all.

The Beef Enchilada Casserole doesn't have jalapeno peppers in the recipe, are you talking about the Chicken tortilla casserole? Doesn't it say in the SB that you can use onion instead? That would be an option.

mpkegley said:
The Beef Enchilada Casserole doesn't have jalapeno peppers in the recipe, are you talking about the Chicken tortilla casserole? Doesn't it say in the SB that you can use onion instead? That would be an option.

No - she wanted to make the Salad Chopper salsa to go with the casserole.

PamperChefCarol said:
The peppers in question were from Mexico.

So I am not crazy! I thought I saw something about that. Funny that the store manager knew nothing! Being that food is their business I would have assumed they would be more "up" on the announcements and restrictions.

I am going to buy 2 sets of ingredients and try it at home first tonight. And I am going to buy the pablano pepper to use and just explain about the jalapeno!

Thanks for the help everyone!:):)

They have linked the jalapeño problem to peppers from Mexico. If you go to your local farmers market or Wild Oats/Whole Foods, you can find locally-grown peppers.
Thanks
Robert

Have enjoyed learning about peppers on this thread...

One more suggestion that I use if my host does not want to cut up the jalapeno peppers for me.....I'm terribly allergic and I tell them that unless you want me to use my rubber gloves and mask and goggles, I suggest that the host cut them for me....If they don't want to, I use DRIED JALAPENO PEPPERS that I get from Penzy's Spices. They are online, penzeys.com. They work just as well especially when they are used in a cooked dish like enchaladas.

I LOVE Penzy's. :love: I got to go in the shop when we went to Pittsburgh, but it was 5 minutes before they closed, so I didn't get to buy anything, and didn't get the chance to go back before we left for Philadelphia.:cry:

You should find dried peppers in the international/hispanic section of your grocery store, too. Also, you might try finding a hispanic store in your neighborhood.

Sarah

Update:

This Salad Chopper Salsa is awesome to demo!

I made it for first time last night at home. I do not like Cilantro, so I left that out. It was good but needed "something". Well, it turned out it needed the Cilantro! :)

Well, tonight at the show, I told the guests that they were making the salsa. The bowl was passed around, everyone loved doing it. The only thing I did different was use the garlic press for the garlic (had a guest do that).

In fact, I am eating my Salsa from last night right now!

BTW: last night was the first time I ever used the Salad Chopper. Neat tool!

kam said:
Update:

This Salad Chopper Salsa is awesome to demo!

I made it for first time last night at home. I do not like Cilantro, so I left that out. It was good but needed "something". Well, it turned out it needed the Cilantro! :)

Well, tonight at the show, I told the guests that they were making the salsa. The bowl was passed around, everyone loved doing it. The only thing I did different was use the garlic press for the garlic (had a guest do that).

In fact, I am eating my Salsa from last night right now!

BTW: last night was the first time I ever used the Salad Chopper. Neat tool!

I always use the garlic press too.

This salsa is addictive! I make it all the time at home and for shows - I sell a ton of salad choppers!

Glad you had such a positive experience with it your first time!

You will not believe this

I want to make this recipe 'Beef Enchilada Casserole' today

Last night while I was at the county fair in the next state (several consultants are set-up there togoether) I was looking a the 29 minutes cookbook (which is still out at the fair) and I saw this recipe, I thought (and yes I know I shouldn't but I did) that this would be a great recipe for a show that I am going to do in about a month - I was going to try it today because the family wants something NEW for a change - I went to PC main website and I can't find the recipe.

Could someone please post this recipe for me??? and thanks in advance

I did check on the other two websites (razzledazzlerecipes.com & joycefinecooking.com) for this recipes and can't find it

Also I don't have the Deep Dish Baker but I do have the Oval Baker - would the Oval Baker work for this recipes???

Thanks again for your help

:chef:

Here is the recipe:

Beef Enchilada Casserole
1 lb 95% lean ground beef
1 Tbsp Southwestern Seasoning Mix
1/4 tsp salt
1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup medium thick and chunky salsa
12 (6") yellow or white corn tortillas
1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro, divided
1 cup shredded Colby and Monterey Jack cheese blend
sour cream and lime wedges (optional)

1. Combine beef, seasoning mix and salt in 10" Skillet; cook over medium-high heat 8-10 min or until beef is no longer pink, breaking beef into crumbles using Mix 'N Chop. Add enchilada sauce, water and salsa to Skillet. Bring to a simmer and remove fom heat.

2. As beef mixture cooks, place tortillas in a stack and cut into 1" pieces using Pizza Cutter. Snip cilantro using Kitchen Shears.

3. Arrange half of the tortillas evenly over bottom of Deep Dish Baker; top with half of the beef mixture and half of the cheese. Sprinkle 2 Tbsp of the cilantro over cheese. Top with remaining tortillas, beef mixture and cheese.

4. Microwave baker on HIGH 3-5 min or until cheese is melted. Garnish with remaining 2 Tbsp cilantro. Serve w/ sour cream and lime wedges, if desired.
Yield: 6 servings

It has been a hit at the shows I have done it for. Everyone seems to love it and the host can decide how "hot" by choosing the hotness of the enchilada sauce and salsa. In all cases, my hosts have gone on the mild side.

My only complaint is that there is not much to the demo. Last night I wasn't in the kitchen (so I had to have the beef mixture done before guests arrived). Which really cut down on the steps. So I added the Salad Chooper Salsa.

If I was in the kitchen, I would have also been able to show using the 10" skillet (everything JUST fits), mix N Chop, can opener, measuring cup, measuring spoon. But that was all done before the guests arrived.

The Oval Baker is 7 cups, the Deep Dish Baker is 8 cups, (correct me if I am wrong) so you should be OK. It fills the DDB up, so don't go "heavy" on any ingredients and you should be OK. (Except the cheese - I always use the full 8 oz block).

It is really good!:)

Thank You so so much

I am now off to the market to get the stuff I don't have

Thanks so much and I will be careful when filling the baker

:chef:

1. What is the source of the salmonella outbreak related to jalapeno peppers?

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the source of the salmonella outbreak linked to jalapeno peppers was determined to be from a specific region in Mexico.

2. Are all jalapeno peppers considered unsafe to consume?

No, not all jalapeno peppers are considered unsafe to consume. The CDC has identified the specific region in Mexico where the contaminated peppers originated from, so it is important to check the source of the peppers before purchasing them.

3. When will grocery stores restock on jalapeno peppers?

Unfortunately, there is no set timeline for when grocery stores will restock on jalapeno peppers. It is best to check with your local store for updates or to consider purchasing peppers from a different region.

4. Can other varieties of peppers be used as a substitute for jalapenos in salsa?

Yes, there are several other varieties of peppers that can be used as a substitute for jalapenos in salsa. Some options include serrano peppers, poblano peppers, or even bell peppers for a milder flavor.

5. Can the Pampered Chef Salad Chopper be used to chop jalapeno peppers?

Yes, the Pampered Chef Salad Chopper can be used to chop jalapeno peppers. However, it is important to thoroughly clean the chopper after use to prevent cross-contamination with other ingredients.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lisasfuncooking
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
lisasfuncooking
  • scottcooks
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
mommyhugz1978
  • janetupnorth