• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Soaking Beans: Quick, Overnight or Different for Each Bean?

I've always used canned/jarred beans. But now, trying to live more cheaply/simply, I've purchased dry beans. I've read several articles about soaking beans before you use them but I'm confused. Is it better to do the quick soak method, or the overnight soak method? Right now I have black beans, and small red kidney beans, and Great Northern beans...does the soaking method change with the type of bean? I've only ever used dried split peas, and dried lentils, because those don't have to be soaked...I'd like to use the Northern Beans to make baked beans for dinner tonight, is it still possible?I almost always use
ChefBeckyD
Gold Member
I have always used canned/jarred beans.
But now, trying to live more cheaply/simply, I've purchased dry beans. I've read several articles about soaking beans before you use them but I'm confused.
Is it better to do the quick soak method, or the overnight soak method? Right now I have black beans, and small red kidney beans, and Great Northern beans...does the soaking method change with the type of bean? I've only ever used dried split peas, and dried lentils, because those don't have to be soaked...
I'd like to use the Northern Beans to make baked beans for dinner tonight, is it still possible?

I almost always use the quick soak method b/c I end up forgetting the night before to soak. And everytime they turn out great! I've done it w/ the northern beans, lima beans, pinto's, and black eyed peas.

Hi Becky,

I'm a fan of my own "quick soak" (I picked it up from the Cajun Chef...Justin something or other). It takes the "gas" out of them, too! Cover the dry beans in water and dump a bunch of baking soda on top (about 1/4 cup or so...I just eyeball it). Then cook it about 20 minutes. Keep an eye on it because it will foam up and boil over (at least with the black beans it does). Then drain and rinse well (until the water runs clear)...then off you go with your recipe as you like.

I've been known to make black beans and rice with this method and dinner is on the table in less than an hour.

HTH

Thanks to both of you! I'm going to try a quick soak for some Northern Beans!

I never pre soak just dump them in and add an extra hour or so to my cooking time
I add a whole raw potato for the "gas factor"

I always soak them overnight. I just have always done it that way.

I dont' soak them any more - just throw them in the crock pot and let them cook most of the day.

I like the overnight soak personally. I find that the quick soak method is a little stinkier......

But both work...and I almost always prefer dried beans.

I saw this thread earlier, Becky, and then got sidetracked before I could look for my info. I remember reading something about using baking soda when soaking beans and (if I remember correctly) it was bad. Let me try to find that in my reference books.

Well, I'm hoping my beans work out today... Normally I throw them in the crockpot overnight with the requied amount of water, then in the morning add the tom sauce, chili, salt etc. But I keep changing my mind about dinner tonight, and decided to do beans (trying to empty out the pantry too...). So, my method today is:

Rinse the beans with hot water. Pre-heat the crock pot by filling with hot water from the tap and emptying out. Instead of adding 4 cups cold water, I added boiling water. Hopefully all of that pre-heating will take an hour or two off the normal cooking time, I figure a cold crock pot and cold water take a LONG time to heat up, so this has got to save some time...

Becky - how did your black beans turn out? I've never done them from scratch...

AnnieBee said:
Well, I'm hoping my beans work out today... Normally I throw them in the crockpot overnight with the requied amount of water, then in the morning add the tom sauce, chili, salt etc. But I keep changing my mind about dinner tonight, and decided to do beans (trying to empty out the pantry too...). So, my method today is:

Rinse the beans with hot water. Pre-heat the crock pot by filling with hot water from the tap and emptying out. Instead of adding 4 cups cold water, I added boiling water. Hopefully all of that pre-heating will take an hour or two off the normal cooking time, I figure a cold crock pot and cold water take a LONG time to heat up, so this has got to save some time...

Becky - how did your black beans turn out? I've never done them from scratch...

Well, I was going to do Northern Beans, actually - for Baked Beans. But I got sidetracked doing my pantry inventory, and we ended up having leftovers for dinner.:rolleyes:

Tonight is Taco Night with friends (I have 7 people coming to me house this evening!:eek:) so the Baked Beans are on the schedule for tomorrow. I'll let you know then.

I'm interested in what Ann came up with regarding the baking soda soaking method?

Yep I was wondering too. My packet of beans said to add 1/8 tsp of soda for every lb of beans if you live in a hard water area, or else the cooking time would be longer. Wierd! But it did not mention it for soaking or "gas removal!"

1/4 cup of soda seems like a lot, even if it is just for the soaoking and is rinsed off...

I couldn't find the info about soda being not good for beans. But I did find a couple of pages of interesting info - too much to type out here. If you have (or have access to) a copy of Brilliant Food Tips and Cooking Tricks, check out pages 28-30.That book does indicate to soak rinsed beans in 4 times the volume of cold water (4 cups water for 1 cup beans) for 6-8 hours. Beans should double in size, and be moist all the way through when cut open.Their quick-soak method is 4 times the cold water as beans in a saucepan, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit about an hour.To soften beans, add salt when soaking, and change the water before cooking. Do not salt when cooking, that toughens them. Add acidic ingredients and salt after the beans have cooked through to prevent them getting tough.Cook on low and uncovered to keep the beans from bursting.AHA! Here it is-- To soften up tough, slow to cook beans, add baking soda to the cooking water, starting with 1/2 teaspoon and increasing as needed.It also mentions that beans actually take more time in a slow cooker than on the stove top, but it's more convenient because it's unattended cooking.

chefann said:
I couldn't find the info about soda being not good for beans. But I did find a couple of pages of interesting info - too much to type out here. If you have (or have access to) a copy of Brilliant Food Tips and Cooking Tricks, check out pages 28-30.

That book does indicate to soak rinsed beans in 4 times the volume of cold water (4 cups water for 1 cup beans) for 6-8 hours. Beans should double in size, and be moist all the way through when cut open.

Their quick-soak method is 4 times the cold water as beans in a saucepan, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit about an hour.

To soften beans, add salt when soaking, and change the water before cooking. Do not salt when cooking, that toughens them. Add acidic ingredients and salt after the beans have cooked through to prevent them getting tough.

Cook on low and uncovered to keep the beans from bursting.

AHA! Here it is-- To soften up tough, slow to cook beans, add baking soda to the cooking water, starting with 1/2 teaspoon and increasing as needed.

It also mentions that beans actually take more time in a slow cooker than on the stove top, but it's more convenient because it's unattended cooking.

Thanks so much, Ann!:thumbup:

You got a pressure cooker, Becky? The book has a chart for pressure cooking beans to reduce the cooking time.For every cup dried beans cooked under pressure, add 3 cups water and 1 teaspoon oil (to prevent foaming). Follow the chart for cooking times. When prescribed time is up, release pressure immediately.Beans (1 cup dry) - Soaked (min); Unsoaked (min)
Black (turtle) - 14; 20
Chickpeas - 18; 30
Fava - 17; 24
Great Northern - 13; 25
Lentils - N/A; 7
Lima - 7; 13
Navy - 10; 17
Peas, split - N/A; 7
Pinto - 7; 22
Red Kidney - 12; 20
Soybeans - 17; 30
White Kidney - 12; 22

Ann, that is great info. Thanks!

Of course I totally goofed... I forgot to plug the crock-pot in!!! In my defense, DH has plugged in our huge humidifier right where I plug in the crock pot, and the cord is also white, so at a glance it looked as though it was plugged in.

So much for getting it started quickly... I just nuked them for a while to get them hot again, and now the crock is back in the... heated outside part - what is that called?

I might be having to add a little of that baking soda to speed thigns up a little :)

See, this is why I just use canned beans! :D

I think when I was first married I tried using dry beans and I messed it all up, plus there were little rocks in the beans and I just was frustrated to have to sort through them too! :eek: My hat goes off to you guys taking the time to use the dry beans! :chef:

I think in 10 years of marriage, I've had beans in my house twice! Both times were for my mom. DH doesn't like them, I never ate them growing up so we've never had them.Take it back, I do eat refried beans once in a great while...Maybe someday I'll expand my horizons, but not buying any this month! ;)

Overnight method. I have tried the quick soak method and it just wasn't the same. We eat lots of BEANS! Love them whole, or refried. They are good and cheap.
I can make chalupas, bean and cheese tacos, nachos, soups, etc... for me and the kids during lunch and we love it!! When you stay home with kids everyday to homeschool you have to be creative. Sandwiches, frozen pizza and soup don't always cut it.

Debbie :D

I've done dried beans a couple of times, but then went back to canned! I'm the only one who will eat beans in my house and a whole bag for myself is just too much! Can you freeze beans once cooked?? I would think they would turn to mush.

chefshawna said:
I've done dried beans a couple of times, but then went back to canned! I'm the only one who will eat beans in my house and a whole bag for myself is just too much! Can you freeze beans once cooked?? I would think they would turn to mush.

Beans freeze really well. Even using just canned beans, I've always made a big batch of baked beans, or red beans and rice, and frozen part of it.

babywings76 said:
See, this is why I just use canned beans! :D

I think when I was first married I tried using dry beans and I messed it all up, plus there were little rocks in the beans and I just was frustrated to have to sort through them too! :eek: My hat goes off to you guys taking the time to use the dry beans! :chef:

Where did you get rocks in your beans? That's scary!

pcchefjane said:
Where did you get rocks in your beans? That's scary!

They were just typical dry beans from a regular grocery store. I figured that's why I had heard from someone about sorting the beans first, figured this was normal. :eek: It scared me away from ever doing dry beans again! :thumbdown:

Wow, you guys are impressive. I'm not really a bean fan, except for green beans and I don't think they count.;)

The only beans I've had any dealings with are the dehydrated beans at Taco Bell when I worked there in High School (2 yrs ago? - yeah right LOL). They looked like corn flakes till we put them in water, it was strange.

babywings76 said:
They were just typical dry beans from a regular grocery store. I figured that's why I had heard from someone about sorting the beans first, figured this was normal. :eek: It scared me away from ever doing dry beans again! :thumbdown:

The rocks are from the harvesting. It shows they're a natural farm product. :) And, yes, that's why you're supposed to pick through them, to remove rocks, twigs, and spoiled beans.

Related to Soaking Beans: Quick, Overnight or Different for Each Bean?

What is the benefit of soaking beans?

Soaking beans helps to remove some of the indigestible sugars and compounds, making them easier to digest. It also reduces cooking time and makes the beans more tender.

Should I soak beans overnight or can I do a quick soak?

Both methods are effective, but a quick soak can save time and still yield similar results. However, an overnight soak allows for a longer time to remove more of the indigestible sugars.

Do I need to soak all types of beans?

No, some beans, such as lentils and split peas, do not require soaking. However, soaking can still help with digestion and reduce cooking time for these types of beans as well.

Can I use the same soaking method for all types of beans?

It is recommended to follow the specific soaking instructions for each type of bean, as some may require a longer or shorter soak time. For example, kidney beans should always be soaked overnight to remove toxins.

Can I soak beans in hot water?

It is not recommended to soak beans in hot water, as this can cause them to ferment and become sour. Soaking in room temperature water is best for optimal results.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• winklermom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
otisbg
  • janetupnorth
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
candiejayne
  • esavvymom