• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Should I Use Non-Stick Spray on My Cookware?

In summary, the Use and Care for the Exec. cookware says NOT to use Pam type sprays, but there are recipes listed on Joyce's and I've had guests who say they have PC recipes that say to spray.
quiverfull7
Gold Member
Okay... the Use and Care for the Exec. cookware says NOT to use Pam type sprays, I've also been told not to use spray on our stoneware ... and I understand it's because of what the buildup of the spray can do over time right? However... there are recipes listed on Joyce's and I've had guests who say they have PC recipes that say to spray ... so... has anyone ever asked HO or the test kitchen about this?
Thanks in advance!

I believe when the PC recipes say to spray they're referring to the Kitchen Spritzer. Since it's just filled with oil, it doesn't gunk things up.

I always use bakers joy on stones.

I use bakers joy as well, but have noticed that my fluted pan is a bit sticky. Any ideas? Maybe I should wash it good with baking soda

Baking soda and elbow grease should work just fine.

The things that are added as propellants, etc. in the aerosol aprays (like Pam) build up and get sticky over time. And, yes, they're even in the "all natural" sprays, because things like Lecithin, which is a natural substance, are used.

I don't spray anything- if I need oil I use veggie oil and the silicone basting brush.

Bakers Joy..Bakers Joy..don't know what I would do with out Bakers Joy. Didn't know what the hell it was before a month ago of course..but now I Oh lord how I love Bakers Joy...LOL

You sound like me Jilly! I've never heard of it until today. I'm assuming I can just buy it at the supermarket?

Yes..right near the PAM

A director in our cluster gave us this tip at our last meeting:

Make a mixture of equal parts shortening and flour (1 cup shortening and 1 cup flour). She stores it indefinitely in the refrigerator and when needed, she uses a paper towel to put a little on the stone. I haven't tried it yet, but I think it sounds interesting to try.

amya said:
A director in our cluster gave us this tip at our last meeting:

Make a mixture of equal parts shortening and flour (1 cup shortening and 1 cup flour). She stores it indefinitely in the refrigerator and when needed, she uses a paper towel to put a little on the stone. I haven't tried it yet, but I think it sounds interesting to try.

I use this all the time (with my silicone basting brush) it really works great!
I do 1/2 cup of each in a prep bowl= no clean up!:D

Pam WILL cause a sticky build up on: stones, cookware, mini muffin pan. I really don't like it for ANYTHING because of how it builds up. I either use oil with my silicone brush or with the spritzer. I have never used the combo of flour and shortening, but I have heard that it works amazingly and it will NOT cause a build up. If it keeps "indefinately" in the frig, maybe I will make up a prep bowl of it. Maybe. I don't think I own any shortening, or if I do it's pretty old. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: If it is one of those sealed "sticks" of crisco and it doesn't have an experation date, how do I know if it's too old??:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have been using Baker's Joy without any problems on my stones for about 2 years now. I use it when baking any breads or cakes, even on my seasoned stones because I dont want ANY chance of them sticking.

Good luck!

I've used Pam without problem so far on both. I use my Kitchen Spritzer w/olive oil usually....unless I don't want an olive oil taste on that particular food, only then I use Pam but lightly.

Hey Lisa, if you use light olive oil it has all of the health benefits with none of the flavor. I usually have both on hand.

I have noticed that sticky spots go away after the stone is baked a few times after they appear. I spray with Pam occasionally and have not had any problems.

I spray my stones with butter-flavor PAM all the time, especially if I'm cooking something like fish or baked chicken. It adds some extra flavor. However, I NEVER use it on cookware, or nonstick pans of any kind. I've even noticed a sticky buildup on my silicone cupcake pan, so I'm going to switch to using crisco/brush.

I read that it recommends not to spray with a non stick spray on the use and care but I have also read this somewhere else. I have used non stick spray on one of my pans and did see a build up after several uses. I have been just using my kitchen spritzer with Canola oil for my non stick and stoneware and have had no trouble.

1. What is "toSpray or Not to Spray"?

"toSpray or Not to Spray" is a popular phrase used in the Pampered Chef community to refer to the decision of whether or not to use cooking sprays in food preparation.

2. Are cooking sprays safe to use?

Yes, cooking sprays are generally safe to use if used correctly. However, it is important to read the instructions and use them in moderation to avoid potential health risks.

3. What are the benefits of using cooking sprays?

Cooking sprays can help prevent food from sticking to pans, making cleanup easier. They also have a lower calorie content compared to oils, making them a healthier option for cooking.

4. Can I use cooking sprays in all types of cooking?

Cooking sprays can be used in a wide variety of cooking methods, including baking, frying, and grilling. However, it is important to use them according to the instructions and not at high temperatures to avoid potential hazards.

5. Are there any alternatives to cooking sprays?

Yes, there are alternatives to cooking sprays such as using oils, butter, or parchment paper. Each method has its own benefits and it is up to personal preference which one to use.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Pamperedatlast
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Sk8Mom209
  • foodygirl
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
NooraK
  • Inomiamenda