• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Should Cs Remain Public or Go Private?

In summary, this site allows anyone to read the posts, but they cannot answer without being a member. Members can read the first two lines, but the rest is hidden. People voted for private because they want the posts to be hidden for those who want to join, and they want people to make an effort to join. People also voted because they want to join, but they are waiting to sign. The site has clarified my position, and I welcome new people.

Should CS be public or private?

• Public. Anyone should be able to read anything any time.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Private. What we say here is Cheffers' business and no one else's

Votes: 126 88.7%
  • I don't really care one way or the other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

• Total voters
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
I don't know if anyone has noticed, but anyone can log on to this site and read all of the posts. They cannot answer without being a member, but they can read everything. Formerly, anyone who logged in could read about two lines, then big red letters asked them to pay their five bucks and join to read the rest of the message.So how do you feel about this? ("With my fingers" is not an acceptable answer here.)(This is in no official capacity because this isn't my site - I'm just nosy.) :)

Last edited:
I am puzzled here. The front page shows that this thread has had 2 views, yet, there are 5 votes already. Hmmmmm.

I liked how the "public" could read the first two lines or so. It at least draws people in...

Which means that you'd rather it was private but to let them read the first couple of lines?I just want to clarify your position.

I've always felt it should be private. I also feel that, like the Director's site, consultants should have to PROVE they are a consultant before they can join th esite.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I am puzzled here. The front page shows that this thread has had 2 views, yet, there are 5 votes already. Hmmmmm.
Sometimes the front page view count takes a while to catch up - or updates when you log off.

I voted for "private" because, while it's still super-easy to join, at least someone has to make an effort to do so.

There's another site I visit that has a hybrid forum. Some areas are public (for reading, not posting), and the rest is completely private. Non-registered people can't even see word 1 of those areas. But the purpose of that forum is completely different. It would be hard to determine which areas here would be good candidates for being completely public, as they are all still very consultant-centric.

dannyzmom said:
I've always felt it should be private. I also feel that, like the Director's site, consultants should have to PROVE they are a consultant before they can join th esite.
Which is a good idea, but there are a lot of people here who join CS to get more information about becoming a consultant before they ever sign.

I voted private, but if I hadn't been able to read some of the posts, and realize what a wealth of knowledge and information (plus fun) this site was, I probably wouldn't have joined. The two line thing sounds great - draws people in and gives them an idea about what is discussed on the site, but doesn't divulge everything.

As for being a consultant to join, I'm so glad you don't have to be, b/c I'm waiting a few more days to sign. This site has given me so much help to "hit the ground running" and has answered many questions and helped me gain some confidence while starting my biz.

Thanks guys! :D

chefann said:
Which is a good idea, but there are a lot of people here who join Chef Success to get more information about becoming a consultant before they ever sign.

And...not that I don't welcome new people, but I feel if they need information about becoming a consultant, they shold be speaking to a consultant/director i ntheir area. You can't count on everything you read on these sites being gospel...there is a TON of misinformation posted -- and that could end up being rather misleading...

chefann said:
Sometimes the front page view count takes a while to catch up - or updates when you log off.

I voted for "private" because, while it's still super-easy to join, at least someone has to make an effort to do so.

There's another site I visit that has a hybrid forum. Some areas are public (for reading, not posting), and the rest is completely private. Non-registered people can't even see word 1 of those areas. But the purpose of that forum is completely different. It would be hard to determine which areas here would be good candidates for being completely public, as they are all still very consultant-centric.
And since we all cook (it is assumed, anyway) then we must all be egg-centric.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Which means that you'd rather it was private but to let them read the first couple of lines?

I just want to clarify your position.

Yep - my position has now been clarified. Thanks!

dannyzmom said:
And...not that I don't welcome new people, but I feel if they need information about becoming a consultant, they shold be speaking to a consultant/director i ntheir area. You can't count on everything you read on these sites being gospel...there is a TON of misinformation posted -- and that could end up being rather misleading...
Good point. Sometimes, however, people want to get info from another source, rather than someone who has a vested interest in whether they sign. (just playing Devil's Advocate there for a minute)

Now, what drew me to this site was that I could read the first couple of lines. It's also nice to see how active the site was before I paid for it. So, I vote private but you can read the first couple of lines.

What I liked when I first found this site was the public feel to it, with some things for paying members only (I imagine a private forum wouldn't have any access to the public other than some teasers?). What really had me ante up with the money wasn't the ability to post (though I can be gabby, I woulda been fine lurking and learning that way) but honestly, access to the files... however, I wouldn't have paid a dime had I not felt that good quality information and such was forthcoming. In other words, if it's completely private, how will folks know that this isn't just a club for an elite few but a place full of great information and creative minds that should be shared?I really really regret not having found this place before I became a consultant too... that's the only regret I harbor and will have to learn to work past. I could have learned so much and not wasted my first 30 days sitting in worry and fear about how to do things and making sure things were perfect. If I had to have proven myself a consultant to join this forum, I wouldn't have. Why not? I wasn't looking to prove myself but to better myself and keep my self moving in a forward motion. You guys are what keeps me going and not quitting. I know now that this place is well worth more than the money I spent to get full access... but after seeing other forums out there with very little activity and not that much to offer, I certainly didn't need that and it was nice to be able to see nearly all the way in before I decided to pony up the cash. Enough rambling from me... I hope it makes sense to someone. LOL I think ultimately these are online cluster meetings 24/7... and at least in my cluster, I know that if someone has an interest, they're invited in the hopes that they join and become a consultant too and I think that should, ultimately, be the feel here too... all are welcome, pony up if you want to input something or take away something more than a few words from the wise.

On a discussion forum that I own I can allow guests to see one forums, but none of the others. I have never looked into using the code to allow them to read one or two lines. But when I come to Chef Success, I don't even have to log in to read everything. However, when I try to respond or see attachments, then it asks me to log in.

Just curious...would our having to prove being a consultant create a heavy workload for Greg? Or is that a fairly simple process? I'm all for private posting. Many on here have shared private happenings with a host or guest and if those hosts/guests were to ever happen upon this board and see where the consultant is from, it could certainly hurt a number of people.

Interesting question. I definitely say PRIVATE. The other day there was an AOL poll about have you ever googled your name. I have but only because as a consultant I wanted to see where my name has popped up (making sure I'm not violating any rules). I was okay then thought I'd try my 17 yr old daughter's name.

Up popped the thread where I talked about her being stalked and asking for information about restraining orders! I guess I'm still a bit naive about the internet. We get lulled into a sense of false security that we are talking amongst friends and forget that "non-family members" can read also. I was thinking I was sharing something with my PC friends and asking for advice on a subject that was very upsetting to our family and an area we have NO experience in. I didn't want the world (or the stalker) to be able to read it!

I realize anyone that puts some effort into searching can take my name from here and get my address, my phone number, etc but it was still was a shock.

I deleted the thread immediately. I hadn't realized that anyone can now read the whole post and not the two lines.

dannyzmom said:

I voted private but reading the 1st few lines. I joined the site right after I signed. My recruiter/director are great but I wanted more information about the many different things I could do with my business - not just how they did thiers. So I like that non-consultants can join and get information that may help them make their decision about signing.

I voted private, but think visitors should be able to read the first 1-2 lines. Anyone should be able to sign up, but I think maybe, Greg could give actual consultants (have them provide their consultant number) more access to certain threads ie. Sales, bookings, etc. and guests could have the same access to Marketplace and Chef's Lounge. I also think only consultants should have access to the files. If you aren't a consultant, you shouldn't need them anyways! Just my 2 cents!

I think it should be private too.

hperschnick said:
I voted private but reading the 1st few lines. I joined the site right after I signed. My recruiter/director are great but I wanted more information about the many different things I could do with my business - not just how they did thiers. So I like that non-consultants can join and get information that may help them make their decision about signing.
yeahthat.gif

I voted private, but I JOINED here before I signed. It was worth $5 for me to find more information and talk to more consultants before I signed. Of course I did other research and pondered being a consultant for oh, about 10 years. To whoever commented that they should talk to a director (sorry not reading back again, maybe it was Carolyn) that wasn't going to change my mind any, it would actually probably turn me away more. I knew as much as a recruiter/director would make it "about me", there is still a slight vested interest there...whether it be current incentives, FD status, sales under you, whatever, face it, there is something. I wanted to hear the group of "everyday" consultants from all walks of life, especially the hobbyist consultants with FT careers and how they handled the ups and downs. I wasn't stupid, I KNEW DS is an up and down thing and how much effort you put in, so don't sell me the rosy stuff, tell me the ups and the downs so I can make an informed decision.

I am a Libra...which means we have difficulty making decisions that we may not want to make. I am not sure about this one and will need time to let the Libra scales balance in my brain!!! I find myself switching what I think I am going to vote when ever anyone brings up another good point!!! BBAAAHHHHHH!

I didnt even realise they had changed it to public till I posted about someone finding my information and I was told that a google search brough up my siggy on here, with all my info.
I had put my info there when it was private and noone could read it, I wish we had of known it was changed, I would have taken down my info so that not any ol' person could have my info for their viewing pleasure.
But thats just my 2cents!!

I said private because really we are paying the nominal fee to be on here.

As I've said, I joined here before I've joined PC. I knew I wanted to sign with PC, so that wasn't the issue...but it was great to find an active site full of consultants from everywhere who were willing to share and discuss what did and did not work with their businesses...and help others. Plus the files are great! :) I know I can always talk to my recruiter/director, but she has a vested interest in my signing...plus I'm curious about what others have found works for them, not just how my director/recruiter does things. It's nice to know that her way isn't the only way...which sometimes is the way that new consultants can feel, you know?

I am just so happy that I found this site and being able to read the entire post peaked my interest and showed me that this was an active and fun forum...but I think that (in the interest of protecting us with venting and privacy) just being able to read the first 2 lines might be best.

I voted no, but also agree that people should be allowed to read the first few lines, since that is what convinced me to join. Although I have to say, it's a little creepy how easy it is for people to find my posts. I googled my name and up popped all of my recent posts. I guess I know that anyone can read what I post here, but I don't really want it to be as easy as typing my name in a search box. I think I'll be removing my full name from my signature now...

I voted either way- open to public only because when I found Chef Success it was open without membership and had I not found this site, I don't know that I would have signed?
The local Director that I was assigend to (whom is my hospitality now) just wasn't giving me enough info on all of the questions I had before making my final decision. I found tons of info and found my Recruiter-Director here! So I guess with the current membership I like that the open public can view the first few lines to see what this place is about then decide if they want to join.

The right search will surprise you on how many posts here are returned. Did the GJDS end voting early because of us? Who knows - their spooks monitor our postings (don't you, Mr. Spook?) and you can be sure that Paige's ex's and families read our posts (assuming they are smart enough to be able to read) and I'm pretty sure HO has spooks here, too. (I hope that the TPC spooks get as many laughs as we intend.)Ann is right - as she usually is - and my own humbel opinion mirrors hers - that some of these forums should be open for potential consultants to log in and check us out, but other forums, like this one, should be "Members Only." What goes on in here ought to be for the community and not the entire world. I'm sure Rob's cousin would hate to see that. After all, we might be talking about him or her.That's Rob Petrie - as played by Dick Van Dyke in the 1960's.

I voted private.
I didn't realize it had changed from displaying the 2 lines of posts!
When did that happen?

I signed up because I could tell there was good info here, just from the 2 lines. What incentive is there to sign up, if you can read it all? Sure, you can't post questions, but someone will ask it eventually....

kspry said:
What incentive is there to sign up, if you can read it all?

Access to files...and there are some great files on here. :chef:

I agree with KG 100%. The files and stuff could be private, but I don't like that anyone can ready everything. JMHO.

Yes, ChefJoyJ, but it also works in the reverse - I forgot that point in my first post.

When I first signed up here, only the first 2 lines could be viewed publicly, and I did feel more relaxed about what I posted, thinking only PC consultants were reading it.

GeorgiaPeach posted about this above - some things that she thought were contained to this forum & 2 lines , and therefore, relatively private are now public. Same for me, as well.

Admin Greg, why has this been changed? It upsets me.

Last edited:
Couple of lines are fineLike Joy, I joined before I signed but knew I was signing. I needed to wait till it was closer to my kickoff show. I was only able to read the first few lines at that time and the info I got out of that told me that the site would be worth investing in. I think that's how it should be. You shouldn't have to BE a consultant (don't forget we have important people like Grande here) but you should have to be a member to have access.

My $0.02.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Ann is right - as she usually is - and my own humbel opinion mirrors hers - that some of these forums should be open for potential consultants to log in and check us out, but other forums, like this one, should be "Members Only." What goes on in here ought to be for the community and not the entire world.

I completely agree. It is easy to develop very tight bonds with other cheffers on here and it would be nice to have a place to talk in a group (without trying to PM or email) and know that what happens on CS, stays on CS.

I joined when you could only see the first two lines. I had just signed and had no contact yet with anyone for training....but had already scheduled six shows. I virtually lived on this site....it let me take off running (and I've never looked back :chef: ).

I liked that access was restricted to two lines...and am a little taken aback that it's now a completely open forum. (Really, it today's world, why make it easy for any whacko to stumble onto these postings.) Now that I realize anyone can read here openly, I don't feel as comfortable posting.

kris

The change from 2 lines to everything was a few months back, and I think it corresponded with a software upgrade. There may be something in the software that changed in the new version and is not easily remedied.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
The right search will surprise you on how many posts here are returned. Did the GJDS end voting early because of us? Who knows - their spooks monitor our postings (don't you, Mr. Spook?) and you can be sure that Paige's ex's and families read our posts (assuming they are smart enough to be able to read) and I'm pretty sure HO has spooks here, too. (I hope that the TPC spooks get as many laughs as we intend.)

Ann is right - as she usually is - and my own humbel opinion mirrors hers - that some of these forums should be open for potential consultants to log in and check us out, but other forums, like this one, should be "Members Only." What goes on in here ought to be for the community and not the entire world. I'm sure Rob's cousin would hate to see that. After all, we might be talking about him or her.

That's Rob Petrie - as played by Dick Van Dyke in the 1960's

LOL - of course it is - that's who I thought of right away....

Except now I have this recording going off in my mind of Mary Tyler Moore crying "Oh Rohhhhbbbbb"...:rolleyes:

I think it should be Private with just viewing 2 lines.

I am also uncomfortable that the entire post is now available to anyone. (I am surprised that this has changed!)

I joined before I was a consultant (just based on the 2 lines) just to read recipe and product tips. I had tons of PC products and was always looking for more ways to use them. I paid my $5, but only read posts in those 2 forums. I never posted until I became a consultant (didn't feel right about that) and had no reason to read (or care) about any of the other forums until I became a consultant.

But, when I was in the deciding phase of whether to become a consultant, the fact that everyone here is so nice and helpful - not to mention that this forum is a huge resource, I am sure this forum's existence helped me decide to become a consultant.

I voted private, but with the ability to access the first two lines of certain threads (bookings, sales, product tips, etc.). I agree with the many posts above. The ability to see what this site had to offer is what convinced me to register for this site. Like others, I was shocked as well when I googled my name.

Someone mention public since people like Grande are here as non-consultants but members.
...just want to clarify further...Grande PAID his fee to be here. He read the few lines, and like us, thought the information was valuable enough to pay the fee, so he did and is one of us.I also was one who paid the fee as a non-consultant then became a consultant. CS helped me make my FINAL decision.

One note about private forums. Please don't ever be lulled into thinking private means private on the internet. I learned that on a private stepparenting forum I used to belong to. It was as tightly private as possible... moderated right down to who could join even as we needed a safe place to vent without anyone judging or word getting back to ex's or kids. However, as tightly secure as that forum was, a determined person was able to get access to information there, copy it and use it against that person they hunted down. In other words, whatever you put out here on the internet... whether you think it's public or private can be leaked, hacked or otherwise found by a determined enough person. I don't want to scare anyone but neither would I want someone lulled into thinking that private on the internet means the same as private IRL. On the internet there are no guarantees to privacy... even in a private forum. I agree there should be a fee to join here to get the 'meat'... the files, the ability to post which gives a person the ability to get to know folks and 'bond'... but whether a forum is public or private... your words have a way of sticking in the internet - especially if a person is determined; they can find pretty much what they want or lie, cheat and even steal to get the info they want.

kspry said:
Yes, ChefJoyJ, but it also works in the reverse - I forgot that point in my first post.

When I first signed up here, only the first 2 lines could be viewed publicly, and I did feel more relaxed about what I posted, thinking only PC consultants were reading it.

GeorgiaPeach posted about this above - some things that she thought were contained to this forum & 2 lines , and therefore, relatively private are now public. Same for me, as well.

Admin Greg, why has this been changed? It upsets me.

I wasn't disagreeing, just saying that the fabulous files are a reason to join even if you can read everything, just not post.

Like it was said earlier, even things posted in a private forum can still be found by determined people. The internet has a way of making things "not so private". Still...only 2 line "teasers" can get people interested in joining.

Why buy the cow if you get the milk for free? :D

private...but with 2 line preview
SilverCeladon said:
Now, what drew me to this site was that I could read the first couple of lines. It's also nice to see how active the site was before I paid for it. So, I vote private but you can read the first couple of lines.

Reading the first two lines of all the posts not only helped me decide to sign on as a consultant, but to join Chef Success also - my Director isn't a member

I like the private way - only being able to read about 2 lines unless they paid.

Anyone else?124 people so far have spoken very clearly.Greg - yer phone's ringin'.

I voted Private, but I like the idea of visitors being able to read the first 2 lines only (I actually thought that was the way it was here.....not sure when it changed).

I found this site by accident when I was in my 5th month of being a consultant and starting to struggle with my business. I wholeheartedly believe that my business is as successful as it is today in major part thanks to this site. If this were a completely private site I'm not so sure I would have found it nor am I sure that I would still be a consultant today.

If I delete cookies can I vote again?:D

Ya'll can always PM me if there is a thread I should look at. I don't often look in the Lounge :)

First off I appreciate everyones opinion. I understand all the concerns. However, my vision for the community has always been for it to be open to all. I disabled the 2 line view for guests because it was messing google's indexing up. I will likely be turning it on and off occasionally. I will right now turn it back on.

dianevill said:
If I delete cookies can I vote again?:D
Good one, Diane!
:D

Admin Greg said:
Ya'll can always PM me if there is a thread I should look at. I don't often look in the Lounge :)
Now we know where to get silly. :)

Just kidding! Love ya, Greg!

<h2>1. What is the current trend in the debate over whether companies should remain public or go private?</h2><p>The current trend is leaning towards companies going private, as it offers more control and flexibility for the company's management and shareholders.</p><h2>2. What are the main benefits of a company remaining public?</h2><p>Remaining public allows for easier access to capital through stock offerings and can increase the company's visibility and credibility in the market.</p><h2>3. What are the main benefits of a company going private?</h2><p>Going private can provide more control over decision-making and financial information, as well as potentially increasing long-term profitability.</p><h2>4. What are the potential drawbacks of a company remaining public?</h2><p>Being publicly traded can lead to increased scrutiny and pressure from shareholders, as well as costly compliance regulations and reporting requirements.</p><h2>5. What are the potential drawbacks of a company going private?</h2><p>Going private can limit access to capital and limit the company's visibility in the market, making it harder to attract investors or potential buyers in the future.</p>

1. What is the current trend in the debate over whether companies should remain public or go private?

The current trend is leaning towards companies going private, as it offers more control and flexibility for the company's management and shareholders.

2. What are the main benefits of a company remaining public?

Remaining public allows for easier access to capital through stock offerings and can increase the company's visibility and credibility in the market.

3. What are the main benefits of a company going private?

Going private can provide more control over decision-making and financial information, as well as potentially increasing long-term profitability.

4. What are the potential drawbacks of a company remaining public?

Being publicly traded can lead to increased scrutiny and pressure from shareholders, as well as costly compliance regulations and reporting requirements.

5. What are the potential drawbacks of a company going private?

Going private can limit access to capital and limit the company's visibility in the market, making it harder to attract investors or potential buyers in the future.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
mandy412
  • Admin Greg
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
Back